The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Michael York's health

Jrd89 · 38 · 12457

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Pterano's in trouble and I'm getting worried, guys. :sad (I understand he's 70 years old but i'm still getting worried about him)

I found two 2012 pictures of him.. his eyes are narrowing. Earlier last year, he had sort of an Elton John-ish appearance going on. :( and I don't mean that in a good way.

This was York in April 2012: http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Michael+York/...ere/XXaY6wCmPNG

and here he is in October 2012 (BALD! :( ) Oh Michael! Hang on!
http://imagecollect.com/picture/michael-yo...ning-night-gala

and this is a youtube video of him signing autographs last April (yes he can still talk (you can hear him say a few words, and a "you're welcome" at the end and yes he can still sign autographs.:  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-DLSESWKfI

What really hurts, is the cancer that he has. This is a youtube comment that I read:  

"Michael is suffering from Multiple Myeloma ( a vicious form of cancer that affects the blood and makes your bones brittle ) He's dying and hasn't got long to live so make the most of him while he's still around."

This is not looking good, guys. :(

(But, I bet you COULD still get a Pterano picture signed by Michael, but..not another Pterano movie from him.) :( :(

(The only hope of a future LBT movie with Pterano in it, is if he gets a new voice actor.) :(

I was very worried looking at that October picture of him bald. :( (this would be the LBT equivalent of Pterano's crest completely drooped down behind his head and having lost all of it's "point"

Let's remember he's 70 years old and was 58 when "The Stone Of Cold Fire" was released.  I can't stand the thought of a "Michael York has died" thread.  :( It'd be very sad to say "Guys...we've lost Pterano." ;(

York is still alive, he can still speak (low and slower than he used to.. but he can), and he's still capable of signing autographs. :|  Let's wish him the best..  (I'm worried that he may be the next LBT voice actor to die) :(  It'd really hurt to lose Pterano, the BIGGEST adult flyer character! X(

Hang tight Strut. I wouldn't want LBT's 25th anniversary year ruined by a Michael York death. It..would..HURT! :cry

All I can say is, stay positive, and let's all wish Michael York the best. :( I don't want to lose Pterano!!!!

:cry  :cry  :cry Please!! NOT PTERANO!! :cry  :cry  :cry

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I never knew he had cancer!!! It really would be sad if he died.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Yes, It would be, Mr. Wonk. Everyone hang tight.  :unsure:  Remember even after York's death, Pterano's character WILL live on.  :(

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This would be almost as sad, in my eyes, as When Kennith Mars passed a couple of years ago. I remember that topic came up around the time I first joined the Forums. :(
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
there are 3 stages of the disease. how long he has depends on the stage. if it is stage 1 on average he has about 5 years if it is stage 2 then 45 months or less than 4 years and stage 3 is 29 months or just over 2 years. the average age on onset is 70, so hes right on the button there. myeloma is not curable but it can be treated.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Jan 12 2013 on  04:13 PM
Myeloma is not curable but it can be treated.
I didn't know that and now I do I'm even more sad. :cry

crazedwriter

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://crazedwriter.lbbhost.com/index.html
My mom has multiple myeloma, and you're right. It's not curable, just treatable to where it doesn't advance too much. Her father had it too, and he lived to a ripe old age of 93. Surprisingly that's not what ended his life.
The treatment is a round of mild chemo every 4 months, but it is chemo with all the side effects. Mom had hers 2 weeks ago and the nausea and lack of appetite set in almost right away. :(

Hope Michael will do OK with his treatment. Cancer is a vicious disease and it can go either way. Praying for him, and my mom.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope for the best for Mr. York and your mother, crazedwriter. If they can't beat the disease, then let it be as easy for them as possible.

Especially for your mother. I wish her the best!

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I watched an interview with him in it a few months ago, and I was just so shocked! he looked exhausted, and his voice was scratchy! :o

I really hope Pterano doesn't meet an end like this! I'll be praying extra extra extra hard!!

@vonboy: IKR? I couldn't believe when Grandpa Longneck passed! :(
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
In the wise words of Albert Glass: "It's times like this that you have to relax your body and accept fate". This is such a time.

...Drat, now he'll never be in Doctor Who...

I highly doubt they'll be making another LBT film anytime soon. And even in the case of one with Pterano, Maurice LaMarche might do him. He does a pretty good imitation of those kinds of voices (but mostly Orson Wells)

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I have a newer picture I found. This was him a couple weeks ago  (his hair is nearly gone here.) :(  I understand,.. He IS getting old.. :(  but of course i'm still sad on his health status. :(  

:( But, this is Michael York, in January 2013 (just last month): http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/B...zpsa24c1c93.jpg

Hang in there, guys. :(

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I, for one, am preparing myself for the worst. Might have to learn to play Taps on the bugle. I'd also like to make a big drawn out existential speech about how these things happen and is all part of the great cosmos, buuuuut I'm to lazy to do that now.

That or get to finding The Guru, which has his first song. With a sitar. A sitar, I tells ya!

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Oh my... This is sad to see indeed. I suppose we should expect the worst, but hope for the best. It's awful to see him this way. I really loved his role as Pterano... :cry

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
It's March 27th, today!

:birthday :birthday Happy 71st birthday, Michael York! YAAY!!   :birthday :birthday  

**Jared, Norton (Norton is Pterano *the GOF user's* pteranodon counterpart), Petrie, and Rinkus all work together on baking a VERY IMPORTANT cake for him!! :D**

:D :D HAPPY :celebrate  BIRTHDAY,  :celebrate   PTERANO! :D :D

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I'm going to state the obvious here, but yes, going through cancer if you are person affected or the loved one, it really can take its hold over a family or person like a parasite. Having recently a cousin who died of liver cancer, it's one of those things where you kind of know it will happen eventually, but you keep having this hope, especially since he was young and had a nuclear family, (wife and kids) that he would have beaten the cancer. It was a good fight though and everyone had a lot of support and love from their community, and I guess that can be the one thing to help even when it looks bleak.

Michael York does have quite a few fans, I hope he's getting the treatment and support he needs. I'm glad he made it to his 71st birthday though. :yes

Edit: On a side note, boy, this brings me back to Jonathan Frid, who played Barnabas from Dark Shadows, I was devastated when I found out he passed, but it was nice to see a small part played by him in the Tm Burton movie. :)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I didn't know that Michael York had cancer, I feel pretty bad now. Still, it's great he reached his 71st, hopefully he'll have many more  :yes

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
*Update* This year, York said he's actually suffering from amyloidosis and that it's affected his voice and face. At first, the doctors had thought that it was bone cancer. But it's not. He actually has amyloidosis.

When I read "his voice".. I just... I felt so terrible. Even in a recent talk/interview.  It sounds like Pterano if he were struggling to put out words. :(

:(  Here's a recent video to give you guys an update on how he looks and sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Udh1zHWso

When I close my eyes and listen to his voice in that video, it sounds as if i'm inside a flyer hospital, and i've gone to Pterano's room to have a bedside visit and a gentle talk with him. :cry :cry

On the positive side, Michael is still hanging on, and he still participates in interviews.

I'm still trying to keep positive about him, too.  :(  I'm glad it isn't bone cancer, like the doctors originally thought he had.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Oh, I hope he's ok! 71 is really young.  

When I close my eyes and listen to his voice in that video, it sounds as if i'm inside a flyer hospital, and i've gone to Pterano's room to have a bedside visit and a gentle talk with him. 

Oh...I just listened to his voice a bit on it and I totally understand what you mean. I can see how hard this news must have been on you and other Pterano fans.