The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land Before Time IX: Shadow of the Original?

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
I know you must hate me for all these boards I've made :p But I just finished watching TLBT IX and I must say, there were parts that reminded me of the Original.

1. The main sharptooth was there from practically the beginning. And they stayed for longer. (although the original sharptooth was more of a character)

2. The giant Earthquake scene. Doesn't that whole part with the earth dividing remind you of something?

3. Final Battle in a large lake. (Although I guess that would be the only place for a liepleurodon to fight. :p)

4. Petrie nearly gets dragged into the water by the respective sharptooth.

5. The whole ending scene when the finally get back to the Great Valley. First when they are looking down at it from the rock, then when they are getting back to their parents. Cera even says "Daddy" In the same way!

Maybe it's just coincidence. I dunno. What do you think? :p

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think I don't understand why some people think that this sequel is better than the others. :p I've got names. I won't list them, though. :lol: It seems overrated in my opinion. I just don't get the elevation for this one.

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 8 2007 on  10:53 PM
I think I don't understand why some people think that this sequel is better than the others. :p I've got names. I won't list them, though. :lol: It seems overrated in my opinion. I just don't get the elevation for this one.
I never said it was better, I just stated some coincidences I noticed :p I am not sure which one I like the best. I know for sure that I love some of the movies because of certain characters, but as to which movie I actually like, I don't know.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Achillobator,Nov 8 2007 on  09:58 PM
Quote from: Manny Cav,Nov 8 2007 on  10:53 PM
I never said it was better, I just stated some coincidences I noticed :p I am not sure which one I like the best. I know for sure that I love some of the movies because of certain characters, but as to which movie I actually like, I don't know.
I wasn't referring to you. ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if there were any parts that reminded some of other movies, and other movies that had parts that remind others of the first one.

I wonder if those parts like the first one were intentional, or just sorta happened without the script writer noticing.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are several threads on LBT 9 already and some of them mention the point you... well, pointed out ;)
Here is the most recent LBT 9 threads which may be interesting to take a look at for the sake of the arguments in favor respectively against LBT 9.
Here is another LBT 9 thread, and here is the one in which the references to the original movie are addressed.
I for once definitely agree that there are some scenes so similar that I doubt it was mere coincidence. I'm not saying that they "copied" from the original movie, but more than one scene really was very similar.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe instead of copying they did a, I think the word is homage, not sure how to spell it.  The first movie is very well done and was long enough ago that some new members to the team, assuming they have new members, may well be fans of the first movie, just an idea of mine.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
LBT 9 is one of my favorites.  I dunno why.  I guess cuz it was a little different from all the others.  Perhaps cuz it's a shadow of the original like you say. :^.^:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 9 2007 on  08:11 PM
LBT 9 is one of my favorites.  I dunno why.  I guess cuz it was a little different from all the others.  Perhaps cuz it's a shadow of the original like you say. :^.^:
Time for another one of Manny's quotes.
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,May 28 2007 on  01:58 PM
Out of all the episodes, lbt 9 was the worst in my opinion.  It was a great story though.  The new computer graphics used were beyond terrible and they didn't match anything around them.  Cera pushing the log was the worst though.  It looked so dumb, I burst out laughing.  There are also many inconsistancies in this sequal.  I counted 68 inconsistancies and errors.  I won't mention them here cuz I don't want to ruin the story for you.  Also, in about 15% of the film, the characters looked out of proportion.  It's almost like they had a deadline and had no way to draw the rest of the movie so they replaced parts with computer effects such as the water and logs and other things.  I do not enjoy watching this sequal because of the inconsistancies and the horrible graphics.  This sequal would be my favorite if they would redo it without theses computer effects and edited it a little.  What do you think of lbt 9?
I guess one's entitled to change their opinion over the course of half a year. :rolleyes:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I guess one's entitled to change their opinion over the course of half a year.

You spend too much time here. :p Anyways, I don't remember exactly, but I think I was talking just about the graphics and errors.  I think I was just talking about the worst for inconsistancies, not the sequel in question.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 9 2007 on  10:41 PM
I guess one's entitled to change their opinion over the course of half a year.
You spend too much time here. :p
You just don't know how right you are. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure if there was a thread on it.  But, perhaps, someone can do a thread on the inconsistencies of the movies and tv series, maybe similar to the nitpicker's  guide sort of thing, if anyone has heard of the nitpicker's guides.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Nov 10 2007 on  01:01 PM
Not sure if there was a thread on it.  But, perhaps, someone can do a thread on the inconsistencies of the movies and tv series, maybe similar to the nitpicker's  guide sort of thing, if anyone has heard of the nitpicker's guides.
You mean this thread?

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I can't read all those threads, but how about the most obvious one of all? The longneck cloud?

Also...

It reflected several sequels

1: previously mentioned
2: eggs hatching on screen (Jeopardy :p) taking care of someone without much aid of their parents...
3: ?
4: ?
5: "Big Water," both in song and object form; a "Swimming Sharptooth" of one sort or another (though it's called a "Bad Swimmer" in this one) (more of a personal note: both "Always There" and "No One Has To Be Alone" were the only songs stuck in my head at summer camp this year)
6: haven't watched this one much
7: see 6
8: Ducky is randomly hopping for no reason, and falls in a hole...
9: ......... Why'd I put this here?
10: Mo? (see 12)
11: hmm...
12: Mo... (he's in another of these but I forget which, I think it's 10) Eggs hatching on screen (:p)

this was a very rough draft of this :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Would have been neat to have had a cameo with Elsie at the end.  Like at least a cameo of Ali in the great long neck migration.

Thanks for the link, forgot it was there, but assumed someone likely would have started a nitpicker's type of thread before.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I believe that you forgot one thing Achillobator. The gang was separated from their parents. Isn't that exactly what happened in the original. I can see the similarities, but Kor might be right. It might just be a homage to the original. Except with songs, better animation technology, and new characters.

Bruton the Iguanodon

know you must hate me for all these boards I've made dino_tongue.gif But I just finished watching TLBT IX and I must say, there were parts that reminded me of the Original.

1. The main sharptooth was there from practically the beginning. And they stayed for longer. (although the original sharptooth was more of a character)

2. The giant Earthquake scene. Doesn't that whole part with the earth dividing remind you of something?

3. Final Battle in a large lake. (Although I guess that would be the only place for a liepleurodon to fight. dino_tongue.gif)

4. Petrie nearly gets dragged into the water by the respective sharptooth.

5. The whole ending scene when the finally get back to the Great Valley. First when they are looking down at it from the rock, then when they are getting back to their parents. Cera even says "Daddy" In the same way!

Maybe it's just coincidence. I dunno. What do you think? dino_tongue.gif

I think...I don'tthink you could have put it better. And I think LBT 9, for as flawed as it was, was really beautiful---more beaitiful then anything we'd gotten since 5. The ending seriously had me nearly in tears---something that almost never happens in the sequels, and certainly not something the endings of the previous few films had done. (While most people would probably say 10 was the most tearjerking sequel, I think it was overdone and trying to outdo the truly beautiful LBT 9---something that shouldn't be attmepted.)

I simply think because of all this that...LBT 9 was originally going to be the last LBT film. Ever. I'm serious, even the closing words, "This adventure was at an end. Still, Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike knew in their hearts that there would be many more adventures...yet to come", could reflect the viewer's feeling of, "Okay, my journey of watching these movies over. But there's so many other series I haven't discovered yet!"

LBT 9 was the best film we'd gotten in years, which sort of felt like they were saving the best for last. They also mentioned Littlefoot's mother, which would be nice for the last film. It was even the last one to use James Horner's original score!

Because of this and the fact that LBT 9 was the last one I saw when I was actually into it, I consider it the end.  10-13 and the tv series were completely unncessary. "Journey to Big water" should have been the end. It had more kiddish moments then most LBT films, which goes to show the evolution the series went through---from the dark feel of the original, to the mid-tempo feel of Roy Allan Smith's work, to the clearly kiddie feel of Grosvner's. Yet that doesn't mean 5-9 couldn't be appreciated.

So LBT 9 is the end for me. I know the others exist, but I know in my heart that LBT---the LBT i grew up with, both the good stuff and the not so good stuff---officially  ended with "Journey to Big water". (wipes away tear, thinking of the long, beautiful journey from LBT 1 to 9.)

P.S.---the moment with Cera and her dad at the end was just like in one, with 1 improvement---Topps isn't pink!