The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A remake could actually happen.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
^Well, The Lion King remake does suffer from that same uncanny valley. Almost everyone I've seen on the internet has expressed their complaints about how emotionless they look. And it's true, since animals don't convey emotions the same way that humans do. They mainly use body language rather than facial expression to convey that emotion. A normal human audience can't sympathize or relate with the characters if they have no idea what they're feeling at all. That is why most, if not all movies with animals as the main cast would not work under "live action". So naturally, I'd agree with your stance that if Universal remakes The Land Before Time, it should be animated. Disney can boast their photorealism as much as they want, but the end product of those remakes would leave many people bitterly disappointed.

According to Google, this is their definition of live action.

live ac·tion
/ˌlīv ˈakSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: live action

(in filmmaking) action involving real people or animals, as contrasted with animation or computer-generated effects.
    "a live-action version of the cartoon"

But yet with Disney, the only thing that is actually real in their live action movies is the people themselves and the ground. Eh, the movies wouldn't be as successfully if they advertised it as a "photorealistic real life movie remake" instead of "live action."

So, every decision that Disney has made so far are actually good ones in the perspective of business. They're preying on everyone's nostalgia, and therefore sucking their wallets dry and earning them big bank. Disney is doing everything right to earn as much money as possible, at least in the short term. They're reusing and taking ideas from the old movies that are already made, and therefore the output is a lot of money for very little risk. It seems like they can't afford to do something a bit more original and have that movie possibly bomb in the box office. Yet again, that makes total sense in a business viewpoint. I wonder how many live action remakes they can go through before the public craze finally starts to die down. I don't know honestly.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Did you ever see the Maleficent remake? That one was pretty good, and quite different from its source material too.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Did you ever see the Maleficent remake? That one was pretty good, and quite different from its source material too.
*imagines how Sharptooth the Good Guy, as protagonist, kicks turned-to-evil-by-vengeance longneck from tower cliff to water deep.*   :bestsharptooth
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
No, I haven't. And yes, I did knew at the time about some live action remakes which were considered good by many people.

*imagines how Sharptooth the Good Guy, as protagonist, kicks turned-to-evil-by-vengeance longneck from tower cliff to water deep.*   :bestsharptooth

I can imagine that a certain orange threehorn will be very pleased by the news, hmm? :cerahappy

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I know I'm in the minority here, but a remake actually makes more sense to me at this point. I sort of feel they've taken it as far as they can with simply making more sequels. A remake could be a good chance to put a fresh new spin on things. The rebooted Planet of the Apes series is proof that, sometimes, starting over is the best way to breathe new life into a franchise. I don't normally feel that way with franchises; usually I prefer a traditional sequel that keeps the same storyline going, rather than hitting the reset button. But with Land Before Time, a 15th film would probably just be another lighthearted musical (which I'd still watch anyway). Whereas the idea of a remake is more interesting to me because then I wonder, how would they take the original film and approach it from a different angle?

I'm not worried about them "ruining" the original Land Before Time, in the sense that it simply couldn't happen for me. I love the original film, and regardless of anything else that happens, I can always go back and watch the original again.

I'm with ImpracticalDino though, in that I do want the franchise to continue on somehow. I'm okay if it takes a while, but I hope something comes eventually, regardless of whether it's a remake, a sequel, a TV series continuation, or whatever else.
I've actually changed my tune in this regard. If they can do it well, they should go for it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^I don't have much to say beyond what I've already said, but yeah, I agree.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I know I'm in the minority here, but a remake actually makes more sense to me at this point. I sort of feel they've taken it as far as they can with simply making more sequels. A remake could be a good chance to put a fresh new spin on things. The rebooted Planet of the Apes series is proof that, sometimes, starting over is the best way to breathe new life into a franchise. I don't normally feel that way with franchises; usually I prefer a traditional sequel that keeps the same storyline going, rather than hitting the reset button. But with Land Before Time, a 15th film would probably just be another lighthearted musical (which I'd still watch anyway). Whereas the idea of a remake is more interesting to me because then I wonder, how would they take the original film and approach it from a different angle?

I'm not worried about them "ruining" the original Land Before Time, in the sense that it simply couldn't happen for me. I love the original film, and regardless of anything else that happens, I can always go back and watch the original again.

I'm with ImpracticalDino though, in that I do want the franchise to continue on somehow. I'm okay if it takes a while, but I hope something comes eventually, regardless of whether it's a remake, a sequel, a TV series continuation, or whatever else.
I've actually changed my tune in this regard. If they can do it well, they should go for it.
Same here. As a fan of the rebooted Planet of the Apes films, I think it'll help the LBT franchise a lot if they released a reboot of the same caliber. As long as the people working on it know what they are doing and care a lot about the source material, nothing can possibly go wrong.