The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Game of Thrones

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay... Okay. How was there not a Game of Thrones topic on this board yet? This show has been going strong for 8+ years and is coming to an end this year. The newest trailer was just released 2 days ago, watch it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR4PJn8b8I

I'm personally very excited to see where the show goes. By now it has deviated from the books and gone further than the books have. No one knows the ending, though there is much speculation. I'd like to believe that, even though this is a show where basically anyone can meet their end, good will persevere and evil will be vanquished. But that might very well just be the small bit of optimism that I have left in me.

The new series will air in a month and a week from now on 14 April. Who else will be watching?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have some catching up to do on this show haha. I think I've watched up to the end of season 5 so I supposed I'm not too hyped about the newest season :p

I should get back to watching this!  :yes

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I guess I'll take a look at it even if I'm preparing for the worst. GoT was one of my favorite shows until the 6th season but the last one ruined pretty much everything for me. The plot didn't work at all and all of the good characters are dead and the ones I hate get more and more annoying every episode (like Daenarys and the Stark sisters). :facepalm The only decently interesting character left is Cersei and her chances of living through the finale are practically zero. Let's hope the series will get an acceptable last season but I can't see that happening anymore. :(petrie

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I haven't watched a single GoT episode to the end in my life, and at this point I don't see the point of me starting to watch the show from season 1 up to now because I've watched a lot of GoT videos on Youtube, so I feel it would not be the same experience as watching it blind. That's how I am when watching TV or movies; if I already know how it's going to play out, then what's the point of watching it?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, any thoughts on the first episode? Make sure to use spoiler tags! [ spoiler][ /spoiler] (without spaces)

Here's mine:
Spoiler: ShowHide
This was clearly an episode in which they set things up for things to come. All the long-awaited reunions finally took place, some sweet, some bittersweet. I have the feeling this is the last time we'll see a smile on some character's faces.

I especially liked the parallels between this episode and the pilot episode. The arrival of everyone in Winterfell, the personality of the Stark children much the same, the brotherly love between Sam and Jon is much like Ned and Robert's. And Sam informs Jon of an important matter, much like Ned did Robert.

The introduction and death of Lord Umber was interesting. A small boy, just wanting to see the people marching into Winterfell. Turns out to be the Lord of his people. And his remains spiked to the wall are surely giving us a taste of what is to come, along with a friendly reminder that this is Game of Thrones and people die. I'm glad I saw his eyes glow before he started screaming, else that would've been quite the startling experience :PCera

Curious to see future episodes! :)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh my god... the more i think about the newest episode, the more upset I guess.
All these years of hype and buildup... only to see it all end like this? The episode was fine until the last five minutes but after that it was practically an outrage. :anger I had kinda expected at least some conversation between Night's King and Bran but no, we got no insight into this villain even eight years later. And his death is the most stunning I've ever seen. The big bad villain, the one who brings practically apocalypse itself is one-shot by Arya and  the entire army is killed in the process? I've always despised Arya but now... I can't even voice my thoughts about this abomination.

It tells a lot that i had feared that the grand finale would be some dragon fight in the skies and after seeing this episode, even that would have been way cooler. Now, the undead Viserion was all for nothing and Daenarys was made to look like a complete moron after everything she has done in the past seasons as was Jon. Also, we have Melisandre as some stupid deus-ex-machina who wasn't really needed appearing out of nowhere and killing herself in the end for no reason? Benjen had a very similar role last season and that, too, was x(cera.

And to top it all, we had no major characters dying in what was supposed to be the culmination of all the past struggles. Theon was brought to just die without any reason for him to show up in the first place and there was no feeling in Jorah's death either. Ad what do we have left? Three episodes about everyone trashing Cersei after which the characters probably live ever after. This... this was far worse than I had even feared after the horrible last season. :boohoo

Edit by Mumbling: took the liberty of adding spoiler tags.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 03:29:35 AM by Mumbling »

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you despise the direction the show is taking so much, Sovereign, I truly wonder why you still bother watching it? I wouldn't waste my time if anything made me so miserable ;)

Here are my thoughts on episode 3 of the final season:
It was good, but slow. I figured the entire episode would be about the battle, but it still seemed to advance slower than I had anticipated. It was also far too dark, that even though I watched it at night in a dark bedroom, I missed many scenes due to ghosting.

Having put those negativities out of the way, man, this was a good episode! The fire going out on the dothraki tribes, the sense of imminent doom, the massive army of the dead. The absolutely beautiful scene of the dragons in front of the moon (was this the first time we saw the moon in this show? :P). The story of Beric coming to an end, finally having fulfilled his purpose of saving Arya.

I'll be fair, I did not expect the Night King to go down this episode. However it was quite a ballsy take by the directors, not to leave the bad guy until the final episode and have a they lived happily ever after moment, but rather taking him down early on. I still expect there will be more going on between Bran and the Night King that will be covered in future episodes. I also expected more people to die, but I disagree with your statement of no important characters dying. The loss of both Mormonts is the end of an entire house, and a strong one at that. They both went out fighting like true soldiers. Theon finally redeemed himself, running towards danger rather than away from it. Yes, some others should have probably gone down (Sam, Brienne, Jaime), but I'm sure they'll meet their demise eventually. It is Game of Thrones after all.

I honestly have no idea what they will do in future episodes. Yes, the fight with Cersei is still there, but we've got 3 episodes to fill. What have they still got in mind for us? Looking forward to it!

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I know it isn't productive to whine about a TV series no one forces me to watch but I used to love this show and I had still hoped it could be redeemed. :(petrie Even then, I have to point out that even if Theon or Jorah were long-time characters, neither of them never were main characters in the way Jon, Daenarys or Arya are. It was those kinds of characters I meant. That being said, I'm happy you liked it at least.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Just what the hell was that ENDING?!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I haven't seen the show myself lately... but man! This backlash is incredible to behold.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I didn't actually get around to watching GoT until 2020 when I binge watched it during lockdown. My brother was a huge fan of the show in its prime, and I know almost everyone was disappointed with the ending, me included.

What I find fascinating is how Game of Thrones went from a pop culture wonder to being almost completely forgotten about. When I sat through the first 6 seasons, I thought this was a show I was going to be obsessed with for years to come. Then after finishing it, I had no desire to go back to it. Which is a shame because when I did rewatch it (my mom then binged it after me so we watched it together), I remembered just how darn good the early seasons were.

Is anyone going to watch House of the Dragon? I'll probably check it out. Maybe it'll revive some interest in the series.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion