The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Malte's Random LBT fanart

Malte279 · 247 · 38311

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
Most of the pictures I posted here so far were illustrations of LBT stories I had written. However, there is quite a couple of drawings, pictures etc. which don't belong to any story. I will just post them in here and I'm going to begin with the VERY beginning. Recently I rediscovered a little treasure in a folder in which my parents kept some old drawings etc. of mine.
Among the other stuff there was a thin pad of green paper slips on which I had drawn dinosaurs with felt tip pens. The drawings must originate from the time when I was about 6 years old, for apparently I had asked a grownup to write a few words onto the paper (which I wouldn't have done by the time I could write myself). Now the words a grownup wrote on the first slip of green paper upon my request are "In einem Land vor unserer Zeit" which is German for the land before time. So even though I cannot claim with certainty whether or not the dinosaurs depicted in the child drawings are meant to be particular LBT characters, I certainly did have LBT in my mind when drawing the dinosaurs. This would make the following pictures the first known LBT fanart from me ;)
I won't post all of the pictures here, as there are many which even I cannot identify with certainty. I will post those however, in which something is recognizable. :lol

On the right we clearly see a longneck. It looks like it had an udder, but I'm postive that the "udder" are his legs. I cannot say for sure what the red stuff on the left is supposed to be.

Now that's supposed to be a triceratops. Don't ask the six year old kid why it has that bufallo tail, that silly smily face and the strange arrangement of horns and frill.  :DD

A T-Rex. Not easy to recognize, but you can see the two fingered arms (or at least you can guess they are there).

This one is relatively plain. A Rhamphorhynchus. While there is no representative of that species in the original movie (none of the sequels was even planned by the time these pictures were made) I remember clearly that I was fascinated by the look of that flyer with the funny tail.

Another triceratops with a text bubble which I must have asked some grownup to fill.

A six year old's view of a Great Valley like place. Trees with black rocks around them.
 :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Now that's cool stuff. :)  I was actually able to figure out some of them before reading the captions, but not the flyer one.  I wish I had stuff like this saved somewhere to show off...I'm sure I do somewhere, but like you, I just have to manage to find it. :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, it sure was a good deal of luck.
Regretably I don't have the first fanart I did after I had my LBT "renaissance" in December 1998. I know exactly about the motives (it wasn't free hand) but I'm afraid my Mum cast them away. So the first I have are probably from my sketchbook in which I practiced drawing LBT characters by copying them from the screen.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some of you may have seen the following pictures already as they are up in the LBT gallery. Therefore I put them all in one post rather than commenting on each one individually. I made all four pictures during the summer holidays of 2000, which we spend on Rab, a Croatian island, before I found the N54 forum. They are the oldest fully colored LBT aquarelles I have (I also have a sketchbook in which I practiced drawing LBT characters from the screen). While the backgrounds are all freehand, not all of the pictures are completely free hand, as I had one book with pictures from the original movie, and the scetch book with the drawings along.]
This picture dates from July 11th 2000. Quite obviously it is not freehand. I had a picture of this famous "Littlefoot with his first treestar" motive in the movie book I had along with me on that island. The setting with a Great Valley like landscape is of course different.

This one dates from July 12th and is completely freehand. Neither the characters' faces nor their postures or the background were copied from anywhere.

This is the only of the pictures which has no date on its back. I'm quite sure though that it was the third I made. Landscape and Cera (with quite a few mistakes in the proportions of her various body parts) are completely freehand. Petrie's expression however comes from an LBT 6 scene (do you recognize from which scene it is?).

This picture dates from July 15th and was probably the last. Neither Littlefoot's nor Chomper's faces are free hand, while their bodies and the landscape are. Quite obviously this picture was inspired by the LBT 2 goodbye scene which I found (and still find) quite touching. On the back of the picture I wrote the German lines Littlefoot says during that goodbye. Apparently I meant them to be a title for the picture while all of the other pictures have such original titles as "Spike, Ducky und Petrie", "Littlefoot" etc.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Great Drawings! :) That's interesting how your parents had a folder with all your drawings from when you were really young. I wish I could find stuff like that :unsure:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is a wonderful collection to still have around, Malte :)  I say, I love the quality of the image of Littlefoot with the treestar.  Freehand or not, it still loooks fantastic! B)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your responses! :)
That's interesting how your parents had a folder with all your drawings from when you were really young. I wish I could find stuff like that
On the other hand they also cast some pictures away which I dearly miss today. I wonder by which system the parental system of picture selection works :lol  
I say, I love the quality of the image of Littlefoot with the treestar. Freehand or not, it still loooks fantastic! 
Thank you. I'm glad you like it. The reason however why I always point out whether or not a drawing or picture is freehand is that a freehand drawing is really much more of an own picture while the alternative even though they may be very, very beautiful indeed are always at least partly somebody else's work.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey cool pics there Malte!  ;) Some of them look familiar. I'm sure you've shown me a few of those a while ago. Liking the first few ones too. Shows your steps up to the creative genius you're displaying now!  :^.^:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Shows your steps up to the creative genius you're displaying now!
We are lacking a blushing smiley ;)

When I bought my copy of LBT 7 in March 2001 (it was the first LBT movie which didn't appear in Europe on US release date) there was a leaflet in it with the rules for a painting competition. They asked people to paint a picture of Littlefoot or one of his friends. The first price was a journey for four persons to Universal's Porta Ventura in Spain, the 2nd to 21st price was (I'm quoting) "a great surprise about the seven sequels of the land before time". Hoping for one of those mysterious great surprises (I'm still wondering about what it would have been) I painted the following picture and sent it to them:

Come to think of it I probably violated the rules as I painted Littlefoot and his friends rather than him or one of his friends. At all events I never got a confirmation they even got the picture and the original picture is gone. Fortunately I scanned it so I can show it to you here.
One thing I really like to paint are land before time scenes to which the viewer may invent a little story. This picture is one example for such a scene. Look at the characters, look at their faces, postures etc. Can you make a story of the picture?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No ideas?
Anyway, here is the next one. This scan is of very poor quality (yellow stripes all over it), yet with the original drawing being now in Australia I have no chance to get a better scan of it:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Cool pics! :lol  I like the Littlefoot and Chomper one. :yes

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you for your response F-14 :)
Here is another one, once just the outlines:

and here the colored version:

This one doesn't tell much of a story, but looking at the characters faces you can still guess how they are feeling or what they are thinking. Any ideas?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'd say they see water or something edible.  :P:

When you make pencil sketches, Malte, have you considered making a dark outline of the sketch (in black pencil or something else) when you color them in?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd say they see water or something edible. 
This may really apply to the picture that came out with the yellow stripes. Ducky is certainly pointing at something ahead, waving the others to follow her and from their looks Cera and Spike seem to be quite keen on getting to whatever Ducky is pointing at (could be a waterhole as there is sandy ground ahead). Littlefoot seems to be kind of amused about Cera, or perhaps he is making a teasing remark (she looks kind of grimly determined, but not like she was really angry).
When you make pencil sketches, Malte, have you considered making a dark outline of the sketch (in black pencil or something else) when you color them in?
Of lately I made a habbit of copying a drawing once all the outlines are there. Then I continue to "color" the drawing just with a pencil so the result is a black and white drawing. It is much easier to create light and shadow effects with a pencil only than it is in fully colored pictures. The copied outlines end up fully colored.
This last picture with outlines and colors is somewhat older though (summer 2003 or 2004 I think) and it was made on a birthday greeting card. All the characters seem to be cheerful on that one, with the only exception of Cera who looks like she was a bit embarassed by the others. Perhaps she considers Ducky's chasing of unreachable Petrie, or Petrie's looping the loop kind of "childish" while Littlefoot seems to be fascinated or even enthusiastic about it.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey Malte, I really like all of your pictures, I think they're all great. :)

And I have a strange feeling that the one you sent for the contest just got lost in the mail.  What do you think? :)

Now, I will say this unfortunate thing about them.  I almost feel like some of your pictures are lacking in emotion.  The one main element that makes the picture seem so real, it almost feels like the picture will come to life.

Call me crazy, but I feel like they're missing that.

Maybe you could do something like sadness for a charcter.  I don't know.  Something.  Anything!  Just try to display the emotion better, okay? :)

See ya later, Malte. :^.^:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And I have a strange feeling that the one you sent for the contest just got lost in the mail. What do you think?
I don't think so. The post is extremely relyable over here. I suppose it may have been bad timing as I sent the picture in March and the contest lasted until August. Maybe they just threw everything away that arrived too early for their test. There was no whatsoever age restriction on participating in that contest but perhaps somebody saw the picture and thought that some grownup meant to win the Spain journey in a contest they meant to be mainly for kids (while I would have been just happy without Spain but with the LBT surprise ;)).
Now, I will say this unfortunate thing about them. I almost feel like some of your pictures are lacking in emotion. The one main element that makes the picture seem so real, it almost feels like the picture will come to life.

Call me crazy, but I feel like they're missing that.

Maybe you could do something like sadness for a charcter. I don't know. Something. Anything! Just try to display the emotion better, okay?
Ah constructive criticism. Suggestions for improvement are always most welcome  :yes
It is a bit difficult for me to figure out what exactly you mean. The faces of the characters can tell you quite something about the characters' emotions (I'm still hoping that somebody may be able to make up a little story scene from the arangement of characters, postures, and facial expressions in the competition picture). Do the faces have to be drawn clearer? Can you pinpoint any closer what it is that makes these pictures lack emotion?
If it is mainly about the emotion of sadness (is it?), that is certainly one to be found but only in a few of my LBT pictures and drawings. Of those which I posted here the goodbye Chomper picture is the only one with sad faces. Happy emotions or sometimes some kind of grimness or quarellsomeness (mainly from Cera) dominate in my pictures. I'll make sure the next drawing I post here is one of the less cheerful.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 29 2006 on  03:21 PM
Ah constructive criticism. Suggestions for improvement are always most welcome  :yes
It is a bit difficult for me to figure out what exactly you mean. The faces of the characters can tell you quite something about the characters' emotions (I'm still hoping that somebody may be able to make up a little story scene from the arangement of characters, postures, and facial expressions in the competition picture). Do the faces have to be drawn clearer? Can you pinpoint any closer what it is that makes these pictures lack emotion?
If it is mainly about the emotion of sadness (is it?), that is certainly one to be found but only in a few of my LBT pictures and drawings. Of those which I posted here the goodbye Chomper picture is the only one with sad faces. Happy emotions or sometimes some kind of grimness or quarellsomeness (mainly from Cera) dominate in my pictures. I'll make sure the next drawing I post here is one of the less cheerful.
What I exactly mean by this, is basically something that can't be taught.

You're pictures are very good, I will admit to the fullest.  Even those that clearly show emotion.  However, I just can't feel it.

I can tell that they are happy, sad, mad, etc., but I just can't feel what they feel.

This is what seprates the great from the master.

Have you ever looked at a painting and feel something for it when you look at it?  Feel what the artist wants you to feel and not just something drawen in an unkown amount of time?

That's what I'm talking about here, Malte.

That's the kind of drawing I would love to see out of you.  I don't want to just look at art, I want to feel it. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As promised here is a less cheerful drawing:

This one can be considered a tribute to Jason as it depicts a scene he wrote for a land before time story. Ali's herd arrives in the Great Valley, but it was attacked and rather battered in the Mysterious Beyond.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm, the black and white definately gives off the sorrowfullness Ali feels.  I can practically feel what she's feeling, but not quite.  There still seems to be something missing, but I can definately feel your art alot better.  Strange how a lack of color can explain something better, huh? :)

Keep it up, and you just might make a true artist. :^.^:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Can you perhaps show me any LBT fanart picture which you consider true art? Perhaps I can get the idea of what you have in mind easier that way.
I didn't make that lost drawing black and white to show Ali's sorrow. I simply planned it as a pencil drawing only. Of lately I have made a habbit of copying a picture once the outlines are there, in order to create one black and white and one colored version of the picture.