The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Developing a board game - need online playtesters!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey everyone, long time no chat!

As a few people in the GoF Discord chat know, I have been working on making a board game for the last while. I've been playtesting it by myself a bit but there's only so much I can do alone!
In short, I'm looking for people who are eager to try out this potentially broken, alpha-state board game with me by playing online together!

First 4 volunteers to commit to a time will be selected!

[EDIT]
The game on Sunday, Feb 25, 2018 is FULL! I'd be happy to catch anyone I missed in the next play session (TBA)! Thanks for your interest!
[/EDIT]

IMPORTANT DETAILS ABOUT THE PLAYTEST:

Date and Time: Sunday, Feb 25th, 2018. I'm available all day and I propose 11am MST (GMT -7). Please let me know if there is a better time for you. I'm flexible, we just need to all agree on a time. :)

How are we going to play together? Tabletop Simulator on Steam. This game is a physics sandbox that lets people play board games together, just like in real life. You grab pieces, draw cards, throw coins at each other, all the normal stuff you can do at a real table. I converted my game into Tabletop Simulator so all I need to do is host a game and anyone with Tabletop Simulator can join!
I recommend messing around with Tabletop Simulator a bit on your own before our playtest so you can get a bit of a feel for its controls (how to draw and flip over cards, how to look at your hand, stuff like that).

I don't have Tabletop Simulator but I want to join! I have 2 copies to give away. The first two people who ask me for a copy and offer to playtest with me will receive one of my copies for free! [EDIT] Rhombus and Hypno have claimed my 2 free copies. Thanks guys!!

After that, Tabletop Simulator often goes on sale so you can pick it up pretty cheap.

Will you be running other playtests at later dates? I don't just want just to buy Tabletop Simulator to play this with you once. Absolutely! This will be an ongoing project that's already seen very good progress and has had a lot of time spent on it already. It's not being abandoned.

---------------

COOL! WHAT IS THE GAME ABOUT? WHAT IS IT?

Title: "Seaworthy" - Name subject to change.

Number of players: 4-5 ideally but I can handle more than 5 if it comes to that later on. For this test however, I'm looking to run no more than 5 players. If we only get 4 that's completely fine too.

Premise of the game:
Each player takes control of 1 of 5 seafaring adventurers on-board a ship together. The goal is to be the player with the highest score at the end of the journey...assuming you survive that long! Players will need to work together to keep the ship afloat through challenges. Gain points by doing better than your fellow crew members at maintaining your health, gaining Clout (power) over others, becoming the Captain (until someone snatches that title from you!) and amassing glorious Loot. Bonus points are awarded by helping take care of the ship and keeping others alive. It's a semi-cooperative experience full of diplomacy, backstabbing and pushing your way to victory!

It's a tense interplay of resource management and strategy as you need to decide when to do what, how greedy you want to be...and even when it may be best to die in a catastrophic pirate raid so you can haunt old crew members to victory!

At the beginning of the game, you choose between 1 of 5 characters. Each one has a unique deck of cards which you use throughout the game. These decks give each character a unique playstyle, from being a master thief to pummeling their way to victory and taking advantage of weaker players. Still others prefer to earn their way to victory more honestly and benefit greatly from being the Captain. Others are just here for the Loot and have countless ways to accumulate it. Want to be rewarded by keeping everyone alive? One character specifically focuses on achieving victory through this method! Want to kill everyone in sight? You can do that too! Want to be relentless and risky? You can. Want to play it safe? You can.

What if you end up dying an untimely death? You come back as a Ghost, still completely able to win the game. Every Ghost in the game works together with every other Ghost. Ghosts either all win together or all lose together! Be careful not to create too many ghosts too early or you WILL regret it!

Type of game: What will I be doing? Your turns will consist of playing cards from your hand to build up your Life, Clout and Loot, or pummeling the stats of other unsuspecting players. Every 4 turns, you regenerate your limited Energy, which can be used to help - or sabotage! - the current crisis, reinforce the ship or protect yourself from the cruelty of your fellow shipmates. It's a game of Energy resource management and strategic timing of how to use the cards you've been dealt.

----------

ENOUGH TALK! WHAT DOES THE GAME LOOK LIKE?

I'm no graphic designer, but here are some images from the game so you can get an idea of what it's really like:

How the game looks, in-progress, in Tabletop Simulator

Here are the 5 playable characters:

Gracie the Eccentric Archaeologist - the master of treasure hunting! Excels at amassing Loot

Zeke the Parrot Whisperer and his parrot, Shipwreck - The honest, quirky hard worker. Excels at amassing Clout and becoming Captain.

Victor the Pirate Hunter - The short-tempered fellow who whips out his pistol at every opportunity. Excels at attacking opponents' Life and taking advantage of players at low Life.

Scarlet the Adventurous - This one is sly, cunning and manipulative - a great thief. She exploits the Captain at every opportunity.

Norah the Enchanted Mermaid - She's been enchanted into Human form but still retains her mystical healing and natural powers! She excels at keeping the crew alive, resurrecting players who are killed and being rewarded generously for doing so! Don't get on her bad side or she may sacrifice some of her OWN lifeforce to put you out of your misery!

The HAUNTING DECK - This is what all Ghosts use in their gameplay instead of their original Character deck. All sorts of spooky effects lie in here, including the imfamous POSSESSION card, where a Ghost can take a turn FOR a living player (provided the Ghost has enough Clout) MUAHAHAHAHA!

---------------------------

A few examples of the other side of some cards:

Victor the Pirate Hunter:

Norah the Enchanted Mermaid:

Scarlet the Adventurous:

---------

Post back if you're interested!

I will post up the game's FULL rules ahead of time so you can be familiar with the game before we start testing. Of course, I'll be in the game too to guide and answer questions!

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:45:22 AM by action9000 »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That would be noon on Sunday Central Time, so I can certainly be there!  :yes  You can count me in, though I do not have a copy of Tabletop Simulator at the moment.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: rhombus on Feb 18 2018, 01:17:38 PM
That would be noon on Sunday Central Time, so I can certainly be there!  :yes  You can count me in, though I do not have a copy of Tabletop Simulator at the moment.
Fantastic!

Sounds like you can make that. I'll send you a copy of Tabletop Simulator.

1 Free Copy left, everyone!

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Count me in :)
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypno on Feb 18 2018, 01:48:21 PM
Count me in :)
Beautiful, thank you!

I'll Gift you the other copy of Tabletop Simulator if you don't have one. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sounds like we got one more: Archer (on Discord)!

We're up to 4 players now.
I have room for 1 more! Anyone else want in??

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It looks like the group has been filled. I'm interested but my weekends are generally quite busy so I don't think I would be able to join in this time anyways. Maybe another time though.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Is there still room? I'm down! Just make sure to send me a PM the Friday/Saturday before to remind me the playtest is happening.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:55:29 PM by LettuceBacon&Tomato »

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey everyone! It looks like I'm full on Sunday the 25th but I guarantee there will be another session soon!

You know what I'm seeing here? I'm seeing 5 volunteers!

[EDIT] I understand tht Flathead770 won't be able to make it. Jordy, the spot is yours! Flathead770, please correct me if I'm mistaken. :)

Rhombus
Hypno
Darkwolf91
Jordy
LettuceBacon&Tomato

If your name's on that list above, congratulations, you're playing in the first round on Sunday Feb 25th!

This means....I don't have to play! I'll join the room and watch but I'll let the 5 of you play. I will simply be there for guidance. I'll watch the game as a Game Master (so I can see everyone's cards, etc.) and just observe how the game plays.

Thank you to everyone! There WILL be more games in the future!
See you all on Sunday at 11am GMT -7! I will PM the 5 of you in the days before the game as a reminder! Additionally, I'll update everyone on exactly how to get the game. I will release it as a Steam Workshop mod for Tabletop Simulator in a few days. I'll post up the link and exactly how to install it right here when the time comes.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:21:40 PM by action9000 »

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I will post up a document of the game's official rules in the next day or two.

Don't feel like you have to read them before the playtest, but you're more than welcome to in order to familiarize yourself with the game in more detail. Of course, we'll go over everything during the Sunday game!

See you all later!

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
hmm, if I can't play the first round, is there any way I can just join to spectate? (So I can record a video of it :DD )

Either way, I'm free, if another spot opens up, too. :)
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy on Feb 19 2018, 07:28:15 PM
hmm, if I can't play the first round, is there any way I can just join to spectate? (So I can record a video of it :DD )

Either way, I'm free, if another spot opens up, too. :)
Absolutely, please stop by! The Tabletop Simulator room will have space for 10 people to join, so I have room for up to 4 spectators (5 players, me, and 4 spectators).
I'll bear you in mind if a spot does open up. There will be plenty of games in the future too, so I'm sure we'll get a chance to play soon! :)

I'll be streaming and recording the game as well, for my own reference later on (basically it's my way of taking notes throughout the playtest haha). So if the room is full, people can always watch my livestream!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:15:15 PM by action9000 »

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey everyone,
I've written up a complete set of rules for my board game. It's very long. I will look into shortening it and getting it more concise in the future, but for now it can be used to familiarize yourselves with the game.

SEAWORTHY - RULES

---------------

See you guys later!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:18:17 PM by action9000 »

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hi everyone!

I've posted up the game on Tabletop Simulator as a Mod.

In order to play it, you will need to subscribe to my Mod:

1) Add me on Steam as a friend. You'll only be able to see the mod if you're my friend

2) While you're logged into Steam go to this link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1310224053

3) SUBSCRIBE to the Mod.

Now when you're in Tabletop Simulator, you'll see Seaworthy as a Mod when you create a game. I recommend trying to start a game of it once just to make sure it downloads properly
Thanks to how Steam handles mods, if I make any changes you'll automatically receive the updates. You'll never have to manually download a patch!

If you have any questions or problems, please just go ahead and let me know!

Playtest still on Sunday!

**NOTE**
If you have a slower internet connection, you may wish to come online a little early, as the game will take you a few minutes to download. It's about 200 MB.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:57:03 PM by action9000 »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When I click on the link I get the following message: "Sorry!  An error was encountered while processing your request: That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author."

Edit:  Never mind.  It looks like the technical issue has been resolved. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:04:10 PM by rhombus »

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm hoping it's fixed now. It seems that Steam didn't properly apply my "Friends Only" permission to my mod. I know you and I have worked around this, Rhombus.

Everyone else - Please let me know if you can't access the mod and I'll get you a working link. :)

Again, here's a link to the mod. You must be logged into Steam AND have me on your Steam Friends List in order for the link to work:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1310224053

----------

After you subscribe to the game, I recommend running it once in single player just to download all the images from my Cloud. To do this:

1) Open Tabletop Simulator

2) Create

3) Single Player

---

At this point you may find Tabletop Simulator just...gets stuck. For some reason the first time when you subscribe to a new mod it breaks sometimes. Simply close and re-open Tabletop Simulator to fix this.

4) Workshop -> Seaworthy Playtest Edition

The game should start to load with no errors or missing images. If you get errors, please let me know! It seems like it's working. If you have a slow internet connection, please give it some time. It's about a 200 MB download.

Once you've done it once, you won't have to download any graphics in the future (until I add new content haha). As such, I recommend running the game in single player before our multiplayer test, just so you have everything downloaded. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:11:20 PM by action9000 »

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just sent a PM to everyone playing in tomorrow's game.

I look forward to seeing you all there! If you have any questions or concerns, just let me know!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone for the game! I learned a ton of useful things and I'll do my best to get it SHORTER for next time haha!

Look forward to the next game (to be announced later!)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey everyone!

I'm almost finished making the changes for the next version and I'm looking to set up another playtest!

WHEN: Sunday, March 11th, 11am GMT -7 (Same time as the last game).

Ducky123 and Rhombus are already going to be joining in.

I have room for 3 more players! First 3 volunteers are in the game! After that, you're welcome and encouraged to hang out, chat and watch the game!

Look forward to seeing everyone on Sunday!

----------

LIST OF CHANGES:

1) Expanded the Energy mechanic.
- Energy is no longer used exclusively for co-operative actions. A bunch of new ways to spend Energy in selfish ways have been introduced.
- Each Character has a unique ability that is unlocked after investing 10 Energy into it.
- Energy must now be carefully rationed and players need to constantly choose between using it cooperatively or being a jerk and maximizing their own gains. The game's design has been adjusted to be more about encouraging players to be as big of jerks as they can get away with being without sinking the ship and killing everyone.

2) Reworked Events:
- Most Events are more game-changing. Players are more likely to die and the Ship is more likely to sink!
- Rebalanced Event Energy costs.
- Introduced a few new Event mechanics: "The Captain chooses who takes an effect", "rob a player that the robbers vote on"
- Added an event in the Savage Seas deck that can instantly kill players and demands a lot of energy.
- Removed TRIGGERED EVENTS. They aren't worth the trouble.
- More Events exist to let players focus down a player who is running away with the game.

3) Game Length  Map:
- Reduced the maximum number of turns (aka. the length of the Journey) from 20 turns to 16 turns.
- Reduced the number of legs in the journey from 5 to 4.

4) Map:
- Reworked the map layout to create a better sense of progression and prevent players from "Easy-mode"ing the game by visiting a bunch of towns.
- Removed the "Ship gains 1 Durability" effect from Towns.

5) Items:
- That overpowered "Gain 1 Loot every time you gain Loot" item has been removed!
- The cost of items is lower at Towns later in the game, to compensate for the fact that you won't have the item as long.

6) Characters:
- Zeke has been buffed slightly.
- Gracie and Scarlet have been nerfed slightly.
- All characters have been given more cards to reduce opponents' Clout.
- All characters have had their decks reworked a bit, making it more likely that you will have a useful card in your hand at any given time.
- Each character now has a passive and / or active ability that is unique to them. It is unlocked after investing 10 Energy into yourself.

7) Scoring:
- The values of Life and Clout have been increased slightly to help keep up with the exploding value of Loot throughout the game, so Loot isn't quite as dominant of a stat.
- Killing other players now awards 6 points instead of 3.
- You must now contribute at least 3 Energy to an Upgrade to gain bonus points instead of 2 Energy. Encourages cooperation.

8) Upgrades:
Potion Making's Energy cost doubled, from 7 to 14. It is now the same as the Reinforced Hull Energy cost.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 12:54:20 AM by action9000 »