The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My computer is broken

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
For the past month or two, my computer has been suddenly shutting down, but always turned itself back on. I thought it was because it was overheating. My computer hadn't been dusted in a while. I let it go while I was backing up my stuff before dusting, just in case something went wrong. Last week or two, my dad dusted out my computer for me after about 90% of my stuff was backed up. And for a while, it seemed to work.

But then yesterday, my computer suddenly shut down in the morning and booted back up. What was strange is that the computer didn't get as hot as before, which suggested there was actually an additional problem. I left the computer in sleep mode for a few hours  before getting back on in the afternoon.

Then it finally happened. My computer kicked the bucket. It suddenly shut down, but this time, things were different. The lights stayed orange instead of turning off like before. And the computer wouldn't boot up anymore. I turn it off, the orange light slowly faded rather than quickly turn off. The computer makes no sound at all when I push the power button.

I spoke to a friend of mine and he thinks it is a power supply issue. So for the time being, I will be without a computer. I'll only be online, using either my neighbor's computer, my family's computer, or the library's computer, checking up on stuff and maybe posting updates. I do not know how long I will be without a computer unfortunately. I am not in a financial situation to be buying computer parts or a new computer.

So I'll see you when I can. Bye.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's sad to hear, Darkhououmon :( :cry

Good Luck!
Inactive, probably forever.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I hope the problem gets fixed or you get a new pc, good luck.  It's very annoying having pc problems, even more if the pc stops working.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hopefully you'll managed to get it fixed soon. Power issue sounds likely, my friend had the same sort of issue.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The frequent shutting down is a sign of erratic voltage, which is often caused by a failed capacitor in the power supply or on the mother board. The overheating problem means that the voltage probably erred on the lower side most of the time (at a low voltage the fan doesn't rotate fast enough), which is a good thing since that means apart form the capacitor nothing else should be damaged.

However, it's the most recent behaviour of the orange LED that worries me. The continued lighting after shutting down and then fading is consistent with the LED burning out due to high current, which means the voltage got so high at the moment that the resistor protecting the LED couldn't limit the current. High voltage is much more dangerous than low voltage, and in this case other components might be damaged as well.

What I think you should do: inspect your mother board and power supply (and video card) for defective capacitors.

If you find one (it's usually just one), maybe a skilled friend could replace it for free. A usual capacitor costs a few dollars at most.

If all capacitores are fine then borrow a working power supply from a friend or family.

If your computer doesn't work with the new supply, it could mean either your mother board or your video card (or both) got damaged in a voltage surge.

In this case, keep the new power supply in the computer, unplug the video card and see if your computer works with the built-in-card on the mother board.
If it does work, that means your video card's antisurge protection failed and the mother board is fine.
If it doesn't work, it means your mother board's antisurge protection failed and your video card's antisurge protection probably failed as well.

Best of luck!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If you do buy a new power supply, make sure to spend anywhere between $50 - $70 on one.  If you take the computer into the shop, buy the power supply yourself.  Stick to Corsair or Thermaltake.  The wattage doesn't matter too much for a basic computer.  Just stick to the price range I specified and you'll get something decent.  

The reason I want you to buy the power supply yourself is because 99% of shops will sell you crappy $12 power supplies for $100 and charge $100 for installation.  The last thing you want is a bad power supply.  When the crappy power supply they put in blows, it can blow up your motherboard and other components.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have looked at the inside of my computer and can determine there are no burn marks I can see. However I did not examine my power supply because I do not trust myself to open up the case holding it to look at it. I didn't want to risk damaging it further or making a mistake.

A friend of mine, same one who told me it was likely a power supply issue, has had experience with computer maintenance and knows his way around the inside of a computer. He may be coming to visit me in the next couple months, during which he can examine the contents of the computer.

In the meantime, another friend of mine may be able to send me a laptop soon. If this works out, for the next few months, I may be using a laptop as my primary computer until either my desktop is fixed or I get a new one.

As for power supplies, I have been looking at them online. Most of the ones that catch my are are within the $50-$70 price range. I think the one I might settle on was a Corsair brand. The name sounds familiar.

My neighbor has been really helpful. She doesn't mind me coming over and checking my stuff, so I should be able to post updates relatively frequently.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Bad news. My dad and I spoke to a guy from a store that sells computer parts. He says that because my computer is a slimline model, I can't get just any power supply unit because it may not fit. He didn't have any in stock that would fit my computer. So repairing will be delayed.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^Ah, that really sucks.  Unfortunately you can't get a decent power supply for a slimline desktop.  Just what came with it.  Next time go with a standard size unit.  It'll save you a lot of heartache.  The power supplies in the slimline form factor are always the lowest of wattage and quality that you can buy.  You've probably got a 240 watt PSU.  Or maybe even a 200.  You normally get 300 watts to 375 watts with a standard size unit.  If I were you I'd transplant the computer into a standard size case and get a decent power supply.  Though paying a tech to do that would probably cost at least $200 including the power supply and new case.  It's probably not going to be worth it unless you can do it yourself.  I would probably charge around $110 for the procedure (including the new case and power supply), but I'm usually a LOT less than a standard shop.  Two way shipping would run you about an extra $70, so I can't help you save much off of $200...sorry.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
At this point, I'd like to at least be able to turn my computer back on and finish some projects I was working on it. I might end up going with a new computer, but it won't be for a long time. So I am hoping to squeeze some more life out of my computer in the meantime.

Back in 2009, when I went to get a new computer when I saved enough, I was actually going to go with an Asus computer, non-slimline. The only reason I went with my current computer, a slimline, was because it was bundled with an all-in-one printer and a monitor, so it was cheaper than the Asus one.

I have been looking at desktop computers to see general prices. But I won't be in any position to buy any of it unless I can find a way to get a Bestbuy Credit Card. At least with that, I can pay monthly instead of all at once.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Good luck getting it fixed Darkhououmon!   :goodluck  And thanks for helping me so much!        :exactly

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've seen some slimline power supplies on Newegg and Amazon.  The wattage I've seen ranges from about 200 up to 300.  250 seems to be the most common one I've seen.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I dropped my computer off at Computer Patrol for a free inspection. They will call me in about a day and a half and let me know what was wrong with it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay. They called me much quicker than I thought, only about an hour after my last post in this thread. It turns out it was the power supply. They put in a new power supply temporarily to see if it would turn on and it does. I told them they could order the new part and they will let me know when it is ready. It will cost me about $80 (installation fee is included in that $80). I might get the computer back sometime this week.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That sounds good, at least you won't have long to wait to get your pc back.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
sounds great to me :yes

Fortunatily it doesn't cost you too much... but I guess it's still much for you
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm back...well kind of. My brother was nice enough to give me his old computer for the time being. It's taking longer than I thought to get my own computer back. So I'll be using this comp for a while.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's good to have you back, regardless.   :yes

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Very nice of your bro; great to have you back!