The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Blanking the Slate

Serris · 921 · 84050

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita approached the nurse at the desk ' Excuse me mam, I'm looking for my friend Anne, I believe shes been out into one of the rooms on this floor, but I'm not sure which one. Could you help me locate her please? Poor girl broke her Horn implant and she's scared about complications from repairing it" Marita said, " and i thought I would visit her and  cheer her up.  Any help you could give me would be appreciated."
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The nurse glanced at her computer. "Well, if her problem involves a cybernetic implant, she'll be in Augmentics. You got off the elevator too early. Let's get you over there!" the nurse beamed cheerily and led Marita to the elevators.

Once she and Marita were gone, Emilena slinked over to the computer. She quickly clicked through inventory pages looking for where the achylsalts would likely be kept. There we go! They'd be in the poison control center on the 2nd floor. After some searching she located the supply closet where they were stored.

Now she just needed to transmit this info to the others. Lacking any better options, she hit the intercom button. "Dr. Awe and Dr. Soren, please report to the poison control center, supply closet 9. Dr. Awe and Dr. Soren, please report to the poison control center, supply closet 9."

After registering a no-show appointment for Anne Doe in Augmentics (just in case Marita found herself in trouble), Emilena almost set off for the poison control center herself...but an idea gave her pause. You know what... She scheduled herself an immediate upcoming appointment in dermatology. Let's get these mysterious wounds checked out by a professional...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:20:08 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awe heard the announcement from the vents and made his way to the poison control center and removed the grate from the vent there upon arrival. He crept slowly sticking to the shadows slipping a miniature camera and checked to see if the coast was clear before he continued his way to the supply closet.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
The announcement was heard through out the hospital. Soren hoped that there wasn't really a doctor with the surname of "Soren". If there was, their plan was done for.

"That's our cue!" Soren whispered, nudging Anne. The mare was partway through rummaging a pile of IV bags when she was nudged.

"Finally," Anne muttered as she shut the door and headed to the main lobby of the hospital. As usual, it was crowded with visitors and the gift shop and cafeteria were busy with activity seeing it was the middle of the day.

Soren scanned the directory on the wall and found poison control. He hit the button for the elevator and waited for it to open. When it did, the visitors gave him and Anne priority, seeing as they were both dressed as medical staff.

When the doors slid shut and the elevator began moving, the Human let out a breath. This was shaping up to be an easy task.

Soon, the elevator arrived at the floor, which was painted in calm green and blue tones in an attempt to make the sterile halls slightly more inviting. The beeping of various monitors permeated the entire floor.

"There," Anne said as she pointed to a supply closet that was helpfully labeled with the number nine. She then tried the door. As was standard protocol, it was locked. "Damn it," she muttered.

Soren racked his brain on how to proceed. Breaking the door down was an obviously bad idea but then again, maybe he could play the "lost my ID" angle. He approached a nurse on duty.

"Excuse me," he said. "I'm Doctor Soren and I was ordered to report to supply closet nine. And I can't get in because I dropped my ID."

The nurse, a sour looking Anaconda flicked out his tongue in annoyance and slithered out from behind the station. "Damn new docs," he muttered. "Up to date on the newest medical science but couldn't find their own asshole without an anatomy textbook."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 03:55:04 AM by Serris »

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
A few minutes later, Emilena was sitting patiently on a hospital bed when a handsome Tiger doctor walked in. "Hello, Ms. Verze?" He checked a clipboard. "Hmm. The nurse didn't fully fill this out. It just says here you came in for 'unexplained cuts and bruises?'"

"That's correct, doctor." Emilena held an arm out. "I keep waking up with these, and I can't figure out where they come from. My partner insists I'm not hurting myself in my sleep."

"Hmmmm." The doctor whistled softly when he examined the sheer volume of scar tissue dotting her arm. "Might I ask your line of work?"

Emilena yanked her arm back. "Don't worry about the scars. I'm a...retired soldier. It's the fresh cuts I'm interested in."

"Hmm." The doctor frowned. "Well, since it seems to be sleep-related, I'd probably request a polysomnogram. You'd sleep here overnight, we would attach some wires to your head, fingers, and chest, and in the morning we could go over your results."

Emilena fidgeted. "I'm not sure I have time to stay here that long. Do you have anything faster?"

The doctor sighed. "We could check the cuts themselves with a dermal ultrasound, I suppose. I'd recommend simply scheduling the sleep study for a later date."

"Let's do the ultrasound today, and I'll come back when I have more time..." Emilena bit her lip. Soren seemed to be right about the ease with which this hospital treated patients. If she caught a break in the future, she might even be able to return to get that polysomnogram.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awe made a quick stop grabbing a lab coat before he approached the door to the supply closet found it was locked and leaned against the wall waiting for Soren to arrive.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita  was led to room 17in the Augments section and invited to sit down and read  some papers while waiting for her " friend' " any idea how your friend broke the Implant? ' Asked the nurse. " Accident at home, unfortunately. She was trying to repair something- i think  a wobbly wall shelf,-when it toppled over onto her head and broke off a big chunk of her horn. Fortunately I live on the floor below and I heard her cry out in pain so I rushed up there to check in on her. Horns , once broken are really hard to repair, its not like fixing a plate or a coffee cup, where you can just superglue t back on. and then theres the expense, Anne told me her horn cost like 75000 creds, it was NOT cheap' Marita said ' and the dear girl might have had a concussion too, shes been a bit wobbly since the accident. Hopefully you can get her fixed up, We had a Dinner outing planned on  Centralia street, there's this very nice bistro place, shes been raving to me about, for like 10 straight weeks. We finally got a reservation for this evening, normally reservations fill up in like 20 minutes but this time we grabbed one. And then this happens' Marita shrugged her shoulders. " Bad luck, huh? well we get our fair share of patients like that. Depending on how bad the implant is broken, We should be able to repair it in a couple hours. IF everything goes well she'll be out in time to get to that bistro place ' The Nurse said
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Soren let out a quiet breath as the door was opened. "Here," the nurse said as he pushed the door open. "Next time, keep track of your ID cards."

The nurse then slithered back to his station. Soren entered and held the door open for Awe.

"All right," he said. "Now let's get what we came for and get out before someone catches on," he whispered.

-------------------

The head nurse in the Augmentics section got the message from Emilena. Seeing as it was from the hospital network, she didn't think anything of it. She then headed out to Room 17.

"Excuse me," she said. "But I just got word from the front desk check in that 'Anne Doe' did indeed check into the hospital but she did not show up for triage to be properly seen."

The nurse who was with Marita nodded and sighed. "Well, we can't go and force her to see us. Besides, we have other patients to see."

The head nurse then turned to Marita. "I'm sorry, Ma'am but your friend has decided to refuse medical treatment. Now, while she can do so and it is her right as she is of sound mind, I have to state that by law, we are not liable for any injuries or death that she sustains as a result of doing so. However, for recordkeeping purposes, we will have you sign a wavier saying you will not pursue legal charges against us in the event of anything happening to her."

The other nurse left to get the required paper work.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awe nodded his head and followed Soren inside. "Yeah the quicker we can get what we came for and get back out the better."

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
After the dermal ultrasound, the doctor showed ‘Eunice Vezde’ the printout. “Sorry, ma’am, can’t tell you anything more than that the cuts are healing nicely. Beyond that, if you don’t know where they’re coming from, neither do we.”

Emilena took the printout. “Seriously?”

He shrugged. “I can’t really schedule anything beyond a polysomnogram unless you have healthcare or a payment plan on file.”

“Forget it. Thanks, doctor.” Emilena allowed herself to be led out of the room. Several hallways later, she and the doctor parted ways and she took a quick left turn before reaching the lobby. Well, if modern medicine doesn't have any ideas, Axel's theory is still my leading guess. I’d hoped at least for a plan on stopping new phantom wounds from happening, but for the time being I'll just have to hope that--

Suddenly she felt a searing pain in her leg, and she looked down in alarm as blood started staining her hospital gown from the inside. Limping to a nearby urine collection station, she frantically locked the door and collapsed on the toilet. Peeling the bloody gown aside, she watched in horror as a series of straight cuts started appearing on her inner thigh, adding five more letters to the two she’d carved earlier.

HIDEOUT

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Marita sighed ' Dear girl must have left to go home ' Marita said ' I'll have to bring her in another time, my gues is that she's gong to try to reattach the broken part horn herself. Stubborn as an ox, sometimes. just get me the paper and i'll sign it.."
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awe was scavenging through the supply closet. "The achylsalts should be around here somewhere," He muttered as he continued searching.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Emilena gritted her teeth and clotted the blood as well as she could with toilet paper, but it quickly became a messy business completely unmanageable with her tools at hand. Lily could not possibly have picked a worse time to contact me!

Her leg wouldn’t stop bleeding, and finally she gave up on saving her only article of clothing and wrapped the gown tightly around her new wound to stem the flow. I’m not leaving out the door now… she flashed a glare as somebody’s shadow briefly passed under the door.

With few other options, she tested the ceiling and found that the linoleum tiles were removable. Even more, there was a pretty healthy space between the floors. After washing her hands in the sink to avoid leaving bloody handprints, Emilena hoisted herself into the dusty mess of wires that occupied the crawlspace. Balancing her center of gravity, she kept her body weight spread out and her hands and knees on the borders between tiles. It seemed safe enough to crawl on at least long enough to reach a different room…
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:12:06 AM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
((Rejoining on LBT Rations' invite! Annnd that's the Model J's reference picture: https://goo.gl/images/gzmK3B ))

Tony Stracci had been out of contact with the group for quite some time. He'd temporarily provided them a lift at the start of this, but things were getting serious once more. "Shit..." the ferret whispered, tearing off the note he'd scribbled earlier to himself on his fridge. He was pretty much alone these days, his father having passed away a year ago, leaving him a new house, some of the "legitimate businesses", and his massive automobile collection. The name of a hospital in the city was scrawled upon the note, and he committed it to memory; he knew where it was, having driven past it plenty of times.

They'd need a vehicle... but the problem (it wasn't so much one in his own mind) was he didn't have any of those crappy and under powered electric cars... he only had his gasoline burners down in the massive underground garage that rested beneath the manor (having been carved into the cliff the house rested on). His claw tapped on the marble counter top, his lips pursed, his brow furrowed, and a thoughtful frown on his features as he pondered how best to go about this.

He really didn't have much time to waste... he knew they'd need transportation, and need it soon. Looking off to the side, he pondered his ability to provide this... he'd need a big car... 7 passengers at least... but he hated having to bring one into these escapades... even if he had previously reinforced most of their bodies with much stronger compounds.

Smirking, he figured he'd just suck it up and take one of his father's most prized possessions out: the 1934 Duesenberg Model J. But first things first; he needed a weapon. Pushing himself off from the counter, he strode through a few rooms, the carpet padding under his feet before he reached a cabinet, sliding his thumb downwards along the electronic reader, which blinked blue and opened up the doors. Reaching in, Tony pulled out a Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0, shoving it into his waistband along his back, and grabbed a laser pistol for good measure.

Hoping he wouldn't need more than that, he shut the cabinet and moved to the elevator that led down to the garage. Closing his eyes during the ride and trying to steel himself for this, he waited patiently until the elevator doors swished open, and the lights snapped on before he reopened them. Everywhere chrome, bright paint, and exotic metal gleamed. The sight always brought a smile to his face, as he never took it for granted... never.

Stepping out and walking with his paws behind his back, his shoes thudded in the concrete room before he came to a stop in front of the massive Model J. Once America's most expensive and premier car (a vehicle that could cost $25,000 in an era when a Ford was $800), it was painted in a red on its front that met a semicircular black painted section that continued all the way to the back. Louvers on the engine cowling gave the car a swept back, rakish appearance, and the hood ornament stuck right at him like an arrow. Everything about this car denoted luxury, speed, and power.  Smile growing, he admired the fine automobile for a moment, knowing that with its powerful straight-eight engine, it could outmatch many modern cars (once again, those electrics whirring along on the highway weren't much of a match for this beauty) with its torque and speed.

Heading around to the driver side door, he opened it up, and sat himself down on the leather seat. OK... time to start this beast up. Sliding the spark advance lever to the halfway position, he pulled out the choke, then turned the key in the ignition to generate electrical current to the engine. He then reached for the chrome starter control, and pulled it all the way out from the dashboard, listening as the starter motor began to turn over, kicking the straight-eight into life with no problems whatsoever; it was American engineering at its finest.

Pushing the starter and choke back in, he advanced the spark lever all the way down and smirked, nodding with satisfaction. Releasing the parking brake, he shifted into 1st gear to get the car rolling, then almost immediately shifted into neutral and then 2nd as he turned right and began driving for the garage's exit. The car slid smoothly along, the ferret seeing the big door rise up into the ceiling as he drove under it, then gunned the engine a bit to move up the hill and out into the driveway. Making a slight right again, he increased speed, listening to that throaty hum as he began winding his way down the road that led into the city.

"Well... I'm on the way." he said to himself, flipping his flat cap on his head as he took the westbound freeway, increasing speed (though not wanting to show off, he kept it in the slow lane despite his speed) so that he could be there in 15 minutes tops. No more wasting time... it was time to get back into the fight...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 01:40:21 AM by Pterano »

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"Goddamnit!" Soren shouted as he quickly scanned up and down a shelf that he swore he had dug through previously.

Anne yanked open a drawer and hastily looked dug through the syringes. "Shit!" she exclaimed. "They're not here!"

Soren looked at the closet. It wasn't too much of a mess given that everything was labeled and thus, easy to look through. Still, they didn't bother with precisely putting things back in the right place. "The only place I could think of next is the pharmacy," he said. "And it's not like we can go raid that area."

Anne had a sudden spark of inspiration. "We can't go raid it but we can get them to bring stuff to us."

The mare then looked off into the wall but she was actually sending a message to Marita's phone: Marita. Use the system to send a request for antidotes for a severe case of acute achylsalt poisoning.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
 Gt It' marita texted back after signing the documents for " anne" then headed out of the room she was in. fortunately no one was at the  desk where the  intercom was ' and so she turned it on " Attention all personnel: l We have a pair of patients , John  and Jane Doe  with acute  Achysalt poisoning.  We need all  Antidotes in stock for treatment, and time is of the essence, Bring them to  the Augments Section, rooms 19 and 20. Thank you"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I swear, if I’m the one to fuck up this stealth mission, Soren will never let me hear the end of it…

Emilena had reached the elevators by crawling as slowly as she dared in the wire-filled gap between the upper floor and the ceiling. Her original goal was to take the elevator to the parking garage, but after realizing she was eight floors from the basement but only two from the roof, she decided to take her chance with the roof instead.

After determining the coast was clear, she dislodged the nearest ceiling tile and used it to press the elevator summoning button. The second the doors opened she dropped to the floor, scampered inside and hid herself out of sight of the entrance as fast as possible. She remained plastered against the wall just to be safe as the elevator doors closed and it slowly shambled past one floor...two floors...she sighed with relief when it reached the roof.

“Hey, who are you?” asked a worker, stepping into the elevator from the roof and looking at the naked and bloodstained vulpine in surprise. Emilena quickly swept his legs out from under him and pushed him, sending his head cracking against the metal wall with a sickening thud.

Emilena bit her lip and dragged the man’s unconscious body with her onto the roof. OK, this is still under control… she told herself. She didn’t see anyone in the alleyway behind the hospital except Axel, so she pushed the body over the side, aiming for the dumpster. Her aim was unfortunately off...but the dumpster helpfully blocked the resulting splatter from the street’s view. Worst case scenario, they find the body in the morning and think it was a suicide. Best case scenario, Axel comes up with a way to hide it.

With that problem ‘solved’, she looked around what seemed to be a depressingly bare-bones rooftop. We just need to be gone by the time that happens...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 11:13:01 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As Tony blew down the freeway, the hospital began looming up in the distance. Perfect! He was almost there. As he took the proper exit, he began coasting down the ramp and pushed in the clutch and brake as he came to a stop at the street he needed, exhaling and tapping the wheel a bit, bobbing his head to a song he was playing out in his head, then downshifted to first to get rolling as the light changed and he turned the big Model J onto the proper street.

Immediately shifting into neutral and then second, he cruised along, releasing the big shift lever as he pursed his lips, craning his neck down a bit to look out at the windshield at the hospital. "OK so... let's see..." he said softly, sticking his paw out and lifting his arm at a right angle out the window to indicate he was turning right (not that anyone would probably know that signal anymore), but he moved his Model J into the parking lot and down towards the front entrance, spinning the wheel to turn down to receiving and intakes. "Wait..." he said to himself. "They wouldn't be coming out the front... would they?" he asked himself, the ferret glancing to the doors as he drove on by, shaking his front. "Nah... they'd be somewhere else... but where?" he asked, pulling out a toothpick and jamming it into his mouth as he drove around the lot, receiving a whistle and a thumbs up from someone who was making their way towards the hospital's main entrance. Grinning, he honked the horn twice and waved to the passerby, and then refocused.

"Come on, come on..." he whispered, turning right and beginning to circle the building. He was astutely paying attention to all entrances and doorways, and noticed the alley that backed up to the building. Not seeing Axel though as he was behind the dumpster, as was the body that had just been tossed, he kept going, figuring he'd keep his eyes peeled and just keep circling... he'd see something eventually, and with how noticeable his car was... only his friends would recognize it as significant... everyone else would would just either stare or pay him no mind as he drove around.

Keeping the Duesenberg in second gear, he began making a circuit, briefly contemplating parking, but figuring that'd be pointless as they might be exiting in a hurry. He could be heading in while they were heading out... better to keep his car ready to fly out of here at a moment's notice. The red and black Duesenberg kept up its circular motion, the ferret constantly watching the building and only occasionally flicking his eyes forward to make sure he wasn't about to collide with anything. Twirling his toothpick about in his mouth, he gnashed his teeth briefly as he tensed his body, ready to stop at a moment's notice in case someone raced out he recognized.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
The bottle clanked sharply as Axel's foot connected. "Son of a...!" Axel jumped at the sudden noise and glared at the offending item as it rolled noisily further down the dingy alleyway, then resumed his nervous pacing, shooting nervous glances towards where the passage opened out onto the street.

Nothing... No sirens, no shooting... "Maybe we're getting better at this," he muttered to himself.

Letting out a long breath, Axel willed himself to calm down and stopped pacing, resting back on the dumpster shoved up against one of the alley walls.

He took a last drag on his cigarette, burned down to a stub, dropped it to the floor and ground his foot against it. He blew out a lungful of smoke.

A change in the light, a brief moment of darkness. On reflex, Axel glanced up.

Then dived to the side, squawking, as a shape slammed down from above onto the corner of the dumpster he'd been resting against moments before. It bounced off, then ended its journey on the alley floor with a crunch.

On his hands and knees, Axel stared in dumb shock at the shape... which he realised numbly was actually a person. "Oh jesus... what the hell..." Heart hammering in his chest, Axel slowly picked himself up. The body on the floor was male, wearing some kind of worker's outfit. Somehow, only a little amount of blood was dribbling from the guy's nose... but his forehead was caved inwards, and his neck was at an alarmingly acute angle with a knobbly shape poking up under the side of his neck.

Eyes wide, Axel managed to tear his gaze away from the body and looked up in the direction it had come from, catching a quick glimpse of someone ducking out of sight.

Someone blasted a horn on the street. He flinched, the noise snapping him out of his shock. A glance at the alley's mouth told him nobody had noticed the guy's unfortunate... accident. At least, not yet. The last thing we need is someone seeing this... Oh jesus, what do I do?!

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awe slammed the cabinet he was searching shut. He took a deep breath and looked to Soren. "Now what do we do?"