The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Virus protection

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I used to be like you until I got a nasty little bugger that just sat in the background until I installed a new program.  But if all in one is your choice (all the programs I mentioned are free) then try Panda.  Even if you paid me for the year, I wouldn't go back to Norton.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Panda.... I'll look into that. However, money is an issue. Also, I'm not sure my folks are "persuadable" on the issue. They're not technically minded....

EDIT: Serious question here. Spybot S&D has passed my initiation test. What I want to know is will it plus AVG offer me full protection matching or exceeding that of Norton? I may want to go into something temporary until I can set something up with another all-in-one program like Norton. And what is "Avast?" I heard it was a good freeware program....

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Like Petire said, there is NO all-in-one program out there that'll protect you.  Even You'd be better off to get seperate programs for every kind of threat.  I mean, think about it.  If your company has all of them to worry about, you can't possibly find cures for them all, but if you only worry about spyware, then you're gonna focus on ONLY spyware and get that as your priority.  That's why AVG is such a good ANTIVIRUS.  That's all they do.  I did a test run with panda, and I had it for about 2 days.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled avg and avg found 4 viruses that panda never found.  BUT, panda did very well deleting some spyware I had.  It has good antispyware, but bad antivirus compared to avg.  You need both programs, but it won't let you.  The cure???  Create a portable version of AVG that you can update! :D Then, you don't have to install it on the computer and the programs won't conflict! :D Unfortunately, the only portable one's out there are illegal because they're all like "avg pro" and it doesn't make you register, so I'll have to create my own version if I want to stay on the right side of the law. -_- I'm gonna check out some handy portable application makers and see if I can't make avg portable. ;) And Spybot too.

Oh, and BTW, just because spybot couldn't cure falcon a few years ago doesn't mean they don't have a cure now.  I'll bet it can fix it now.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I think Panda is cheaper than Norton, isn't it? For about a year's service, you only pay about $40.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Haven't checked out the price recently, but to renew my subscription to norton, it'd cost me $68.  I got norton with the only new computer computer I ever bought and immediately uninstalled it and replaced it with AVG, but then I got this stupid invitation in the mail once I had the computer for a year and the subscription was up saying "oooooh, norton is so great and wonderful.  Won't you let us suck your wallet dry for crappy service for another year?" :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I just use an online virus scanner now and then, no viruses found so far.  Forgot the name, I think it's Trend Micro HouseCall maybe.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
One place to never trust:  stopsign.com.  They tell you you've got fake viruses and charge around $40 per virus to remove! :o

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Until I can find a more permanent solution, I've removed Norton from my main XP computer and installed AVG and Spybot S&D (and AVG fourns a stray virus in a test-scan in the process). I'm still looking into something like Panda, though.

Staying up until nearly 3 in the morning installing protection software is tiring stuff.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Sounds like a good combination for a start Manny. :)

I've tried avast but I couldn't stand the gui (how you use the program) and it was pretty slow overall.  Didn't find anything on my machine.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I still haven't been able to create a portable version of AVG that'll update right.  An anti-virus is useless if it's out of date. :rolleyes: I hope to come up with a solution to the problem, but it won't be anytime soon.  I don't even know what's causing the problem yet. -_-  When I go to update, it crashes giving me a kernel interface error. :(

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This is my Virus Protection: Mac OS X Leopard.
Viruses are not really formatted for this OS, so I am safe.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover,Dec 25 2007 on  11:51 AM
This is my Virus Protection: Mac OS X Leopard.
Viruses are not really formatted for this OS, so I am safe.
Its been shown Macs can be hacked....granted not as likely to be, but they can be.  I wouldn't call it virus protection in that sense.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I find macs to be distasteful.  I've been recently trying out linux and I've been having tons of problems, but I'd still rather have linux than a mac OS.  Macs just make everything harder than it needs to be except for the serious stuff that you hardly ever deal with.  Macs are great when ya have to fix them or when you have a problem with them that needs to be resolved, but they're much harder to use in everyday life than PC's.  If you disagree with this statement, you've either never tried a PC and can't say anything about one or you don't know how to actually use a PC properly (which very few people do). :rolleyes: It's surprising how so many people don't know how to use their computers that they sit on day after day.  Depressing really. -_-

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 25 2007 on  10:54 PM
I find macs to be distasteful.  I've been recently trying out linux and I've been having tons of problems, but I'd still rather have linux than a mac OS.  Macs just make everything harder than it needs to be except for the serious stuff that you hardly ever deal with.  Macs are great when ya have to fix them or when you have a problem with them that needs to be resolved, but they're much harder to use in everyday life than PC's.  If you disagree with this statement, you've either never tried a PC and can't say anything about one or you don't know how to actually use a PC properly (which very few people do). :rolleyes: It's surprising how so many people don't know how to use their computers that they sit on day after day.  Depressing really. -_-
I disagree with your statement, but it's not because I'm not used to PCs. I've been using PCs since around 1996 or 1997. I have become a bit familiar with Macs as those were the main type of computer my schools used. I'm not used to Macs, but I don't believe they are harder than PCs.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
A little update to this thread.

I'm no longer using AVG as my antivirus and I now have switched to Kaspersky.  We installed it on a friend's machine because he gone to a gaming site and the stuff that loaded from there completely disassembled AVG.  Kaspersky was the only thing that was able to remove the really bad stuff, and we were quite impressed.  Amazon has a deal right now, with a mail in rebate, a year of Kaspersky antivirus protection for three computers is free (actually you'll get money back), so it was hard to pass up once we did scans on our computers and saw what AVG was missing.  :o  One had nine viruses and over sixty trojans.  (My laptop had two viruses and three trojans).

Chikara

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I use Avast for anti-virus, along with Ad-Aware for adware/spyware. My uncle recommended them to me, and since that's his job, I agreed.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Moving to the Computer discussion forum. B)