The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Old Threehorn" pictures

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
:D

uhhm. malte two question's:

1. are you putting all of this 264 pages of word-document in the story?!?
2. is there an antoganist?

pics are real cool also, :wow

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ It was 243 pages last time I checked, but the end of the story is not yet written ;)
Yes, there is an antagonist and more antagonism than is usually the case in land before time stories :unsure:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is a long story.  & I guess your antagonist isn't done away with using some comedy thing?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess closer to the first movie and early sequels?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Perhaps so and perhaps not. It certainly includes darker elements than the sequels do but it also includes many aspects of the sequels that were never thought about when the original was created. Here are some more images including an excerpt from the scene depicted. It is about a "game" called "Poking":
Something hit Cera with such a force against the flank that she was hurled over and couldn’t breathe. She barely recognized that it was Chasma who had knocked her over before she landed on her back and remained lying on the ground and gasping for breath. With a great effort she made to welter, get on her feet, and look back over her shoulder. Chasma had the rock and rolled it forward with her forefeet as quickly as she could. She had lowered her head and seemed to be ready to run over anything that might get in her way. But Chasma’s doom didn’t get into her way but came from behind. Ira, not slowed down by the necessity to roll a stone forward barged Chasma away to the right as if she would be a member of the other team and took possession of the rock. Chasma staggered some steps to the side before she found her balance again and snapped at Ira as if she wanted to bite her. Chasma’s eyes sparkled and there was nothing left of the calm dignity she had displayed in her face before. Dinah and Dana sallied at Ira with a joyful cry. Dana was too slow. Ira and Chasma passed her and he was unable to catch up with them. But Dinah jumped right into Ira’s way. Cera wanted to shout something, tell Dinah to dodge or urge Ira not to be to tough with the little ones, but Cera still gasped for breath by jerks and was unable to say anything, much less shouting anything.
Here is a very rough posture study I made for a more detailed image of that scene. In the final version the two characters Ira and Chasma are in different poses though:

Personally I am not too happy with the way the final picture (Finished on December 8th 2002) turned out. Every single character's legs are way too long and too thin. I also think that there ought to be a stronger resemblance between Cera and her older Sister Ira (who would look better with five rather than seven "knuckles" on her frill). Also the characters seem to be a bit too far apart from each other (Helmhead who is approaching in the background in particular). The perspective doesn't look right either as the horizon is set too high (it looks as if it was on some slope while it is supposed to be level ground). I like Chasma's expression, but appart from the thin legs the too thin and fragile looking horns as well as the unsymetric pattern on her frill are disturbing the overall impression. It is also a very tidy forest with not a single leave or a stick lying on the ground. Anyway, I guess I have now sufficiently torn apart my own work :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wouldnt even try to draw something like this as it would take too much patience from my side... I think it looks pretty cool :)

Littlefoot90

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://lbtwelt.npage.ch/
WOW Malte:) your arts of drawing become respect always better.:)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice drawing.  Looks like it took quite a bit of time to draw.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Nice drawings! :D

I definitely read that "Old Threehorn" fanfic also. These pictures really got me interested. :yes

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I like the way how it turned out, specially the colouring, because I don't think that was made with a pc.
 It is very interesting how different a pic can turn out depending on how you work it. Yours is looking very good Malte, keep it up!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ It is an aquarelle picture same as those which I made for "The Cold time"... which reminds me that I sort of forgot about that thread. I shall update it right away.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I just saw the update thread. Good pics indeed. :wow

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In case of the next sketch I hope the accompanying excerpt from the story is not too much of a spoiler. I took only a short passage so it is not really clear what they are talking about at all:

“Why did he...?” began Littlefoot fighting against tears.
“We don’t know why he let us go Littlefoot”, said his grandmother. “Maybe not even they were really what we call ëOld Threehorns’, maybe they had not planned this, maybe they were even sort of afraid, and they had driven us away so there was no reason for them to take an unnecessary risk.”
Littlefoot nodded slowly and then tried to utter what he and his grandparents were thinking all the time: “The leader of this herd. This Styrax, was he...?”
Littlefoot’s grandfather shook his head slightly. “We cannot know for sure Littlefoot. But he is a crownhorn, he is their leader and one of the horns of his frill is broken. For all we know it could be him.”

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice picture.  With all the detail it looks like it may have taken quite some time to draw.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I agree, the pic is very detailed, are you planning in making a couloured version of this one Malte?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I love the way you can make backgrounds like this.

Makes me interested in reading on :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I almost forgot about this thread for a while. The next drawing differs from the earlier ones as it is kind of a script for how one scene from Old Threehorns might look in a movie. Some arrows and symbols indicate camera movements that would take place in the scene. The small numbers in the corners of the pictures indicate their order (significant mostly because the first image would be repeated a couple of times just stones lying on the ground starting to shake in the rhythm of approaching steps before that food comes down). It could not possibly look exactly like this however as the pictures of the sequence omit a couple of details mentioned in the story. Anyway, this is the script:

I drew another image of a scene that would go along with the one from that script. Same as the script, that other drawing (a rough sketch done at school) deviates from the description of the scene in the story. Here is the image and a little excerpt:

Cera set in motion slowly. She took long steps but didn’t hurry. After she had taken a few steps she heard how the other youngsters behind her set in motion too. This feeling of strength backing you up! And then she heard how the grownups started to move. There was some cracking of breaking branches from bushes the grownups forced their way through. The ground seemed to vibrate below the many, many hooves. Cera felt almost dizzy, glimpsed sideways and could barely resist the temptation to turn around to look at the herd. She still didn’t hurry. Dinah and Dana could not possibly be kept in a line. They simply didn’t understood and they were chasing each other running around Cera as she walked. Cera heard a quiet chuckle behind herself. It certainly looked ridiculous how she tried to advance in a solemn manner while two prattling threehorn-babies were racing around her.
Cera lowered her head a bit and quickened her pace. A moment later she felt that everyone behind her was doing the same.