The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 172762

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I hope there's something too but it's incredibly unlikely. We all know for a fact that the scenes were never released, some of them were also not even finished. Sometimes we have clear memories of things that we think we know about but don't just because we read something. Perhaps you read up about the deleted scenes for the first time and immediately think "Oh wait, I think I remember that on my old VHS" and then two things happen:

1. The VHS has no cut scenes on it

2. It doesn't happen to work (some people are truthful of this, though it's possible that others do lie)

We've and I myself have been through this so many times, and nothing has ever come of it. I'm not saying not to check the VHS but I'm just being realistic - the scenes weren't even included in the McDonalds pre-release VHS. That was debunked years ago at the time when it was rumored to have deleted scenes in it. So I'm not too optimistic about this one but I hope the cut scenes are found somewhere, in a basement or storage where it is collecting dust. We found the script which is a huge piece of the puzzle that we never thought we would find, so those scenes have got to be out there.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sergeant Burker

• Lord Of The Underworld
  • Member+
  • Chomper
  • Hades here, lord of the underworld, how you doing?
    • View Profile
Remember, I said it could just me remembering random things. So I could be wrong.

I don't think I was actually remembering, it's how I do.

So take me with a grain of salt, I could be wrong. And I expect to be wrong. It doesn't exist.
How sentimental. You know, I haven't been this choked up since I got a hunk of moussaka caught in my throat!

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Nothing stops you to check. :P

And nothing stops us to believe..

it exists somewhere... snip snip
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Sergeant Burker

• Lord Of The Underworld
  • Member+
  • Chomper
  • Hades here, lord of the underworld, how you doing?
    • View Profile
How about in the meantime, we discuss who voiced who in the English dub of Felidae? That's a mystery to be solved.

EDIT: I was being sarcastic there, but come on. That is some real mystery.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:00:15 PM by Sergeant Burker »
How sentimental. You know, I haven't been this choked up since I got a hunk of moussaka caught in my throat!

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
It's too bad that so much footage got left out. Although that's probably pretty common for films to have a lot of raw footage that later gets removed. Still, some of the cut parts would've benefitted the film, I think, like the full version of the Sharptooth chase, and the travel montage in the middle. Conversely, there are some things I think the final version did better.

The most glaring omission is probably Littlefoot finding the Great Valley on his own after the group splits up... but I actually think the version in the final cut works a little better. It just feels more narratively and emotionally satisfying to me to have Littlefoot seeing his mother in the clouds, and then finding the Great Valley, right at the very end with his friends after Sharptooth has been vanquished. Discovering the Great Valley earlier in the film might've dampened some of the tension.

Granted, the original ending gives more context as to why Littlefoot decides to go back for his friends. But even there, the fact that in the final version, he doesn't find the Great Valley and yet he still goes back for his friends anyway, it makes him into an even more heroic character.

I also agree with what Sovereign said on the previous page, that the original hugging scene wasn't as effective (it worked much better as the film's closing shot, imo), and some of the original dialogue wasn't as polished.

I would've enjoyed seeing the oasis scene, but I can also see why maybe they didn't want to make the themes of racism/species-ism too heavy-handed.

Overall, it doesn't seem to me like anything truly essential was missing from the story for the most part. Regardless, though, I would love to see the uncut version as much as any LBT fan, and it saddens me to think that the extra footage might be lost forever. Oh well. I'm grateful that we have the online script, at least, which gives us a pretty good idea of what the uncut version would've been like.

There's something mysterious and hypnotically alluring about those cels of Littlefoot in the waterfall. That's one of the missing scenes I'd like to see the most.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:58:46 PM by StardustSoldier »

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^The second image is from the accompanying children's book, "The Search for the Great Valley", but does anyone know where the first image originated from? (I found it on the Lost Media Archive wiki, but it otherwise didn't say the origin.)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 11:26:41 AM by StardustSoldier »

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The second image is from the accompanying children's book, "The Search for the Great Valley", but does anyone know where the first image originated from? (I found it on the Lost Media Archive wiki, but it otherwise didn't say the origin.)

I checked with Malte, who I believe is the one who posted both of these pictures back in the day. This was his response:
I think I found it in two different spots. One was a movie slide and the other (more likely to be the source for this image) was in a little book (I think it was called either "Friends in need" or "the way to the Great Valley")

It can probably be found in this topic, with a little digging ;) I do agree it is a nice image!

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:02:34 AM by Mumbling »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
I'm very interested where first image is from.
It isn't from Friends in need book.
And it's in such good quality... *shivers*
maybe it's from Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinlaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So I did do a little digging, and it turns out Malte did indeed post that waterfall image at the beginning of the thread. Despite being on the very first post, I somehow didn't notice that before, lol. Anyway, thanks. That clears up that mystery. Although the image itself I still find really mysterious for some reason.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah no worries! The image links were broken in that first post until I fixed them yesterday afternoon, so it makes sense you didn't see it the first time around :D

However, the image you posted seems to be a higher quality one and I am not sure where it originates from.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ah, okay, that's a feasible explanation then. I was wondering earlier, how on Earth did I miss that?  :lol

I didn't think of it before, but that's an interesting point about how the version I posted is higher quality. I wonder if it was originally released at the same time as the black-and-white movie slide, or if someone found a better quality colorized version years later. Even the colorized version signed by Gabriel Damon looks a little different from the one I posted. The water in the signed version is much more greenish.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ah no worries! The image links were broken in that first post until I fixed them yesterday afternoon, so it makes sense you didn't see it the first time around :D

However, the image you posted seems to be a higher quality one and I am not sure where it originates from.
I found it listed with other usual official pictures from some French "imdb" website, cinema something. Maybe a part of some official presskit?

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Huh. Interesting. I might need to investigate this further.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Indeed there was a press kit released for the movie. It contains nine pictures - three of which are cels from the lost scenes. Littlefoot playing in the waterfall is one of them. It's likely that this is where the higher-quality cel image comes from. The first few posts in this thread also use pictures from the very same press kit, so its existence is not new (though to me it is). Below is a link an image of the press kit contents (the three cut scene stills have white and black borders in this image).

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:35:24 PM by Hypno »
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you. This was all new information to me. The mystery of the waterfall, at least, I can lay to rest now.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I'll say. I never was much into deleted content before but now I am. :)

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm normally not into deleted content either, but the LBT missing scenes are just so fascinating to learn about.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
For some reason I'm interested in this kind of content too. But perhaps it's my unconditional love for the LBT series. :)
Nice find there, Hypno! I've personally seen some of these pictures on the LBT wiki itself, but it's nice to know the true origin of those.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

landbt

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Well count me as someone who definitely remembers seeing some of these scenes in a specific version/release years ago. It definitely was not every scene, and I don't believe I saw a release with all of the supposed deleted scenes but there was a version I saw with some of them. The only reason I'm sure its not my memory playing tricks on me is because I remember noticing the differences when I was kid and went to a neighbors house to watch the movie there and noticed some gaps compared to the one I watched at home. I remember the death scene of the T-Rex was longer as he was sinking deeper under water and that ducky making faces to get it's attention was in the version I watched as well. There may have been some other smaller details but those are the two I definitely remember being different.

As far as the actual type of release though my memory is less clear, we didn't keep the tapes in the cases very well. I believe the retail version we had was a clamshell as opposed the cardboard sleeve for vhs and we may have also had one taped from tv. We also owned a betamax earlier so it's possible it was even on that format. Not sure if anyone on here has been able to confirm with the Betamax since its so rare and old.

Anyways hope some day that additional content is found / released.