The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How many Power Strips do you use?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Power Strips.  What am I talking about?

These:

Yeah, I'm sure you recognize them now.  All of us currently using the internet use them to power multiple things in the house.

So, I was just wondering, how many do you guys use for your various electric household items.

As for me, let's see...

2 for my computer.

1 for my TV.

Another for my HD TV.

Another two for the computers downstairs.

Another one to connect with the printers.

And I think there's one more somewhere.

So, total is...

8.  My family uses 8 in this house.

So, how many do you guys use?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I have dozens of them, but don't use any of them.  These so called "Surge Protectors" are just a joke.  I've bought even the most expensive $60 ones and they're just crap.  If you really want to protect your computer or other equipment, you have to get a battery backup.  It's just like a surge protector but it's bigger and has a battery that allows you to run your devices for a few minutes after the power goes out.  This allows you time to turn off all your stuff so it doesn't get shocked to crap.  If you're not around it goes into protective mode and will NOT harm anything that's plugged into it.  Here are some common one's that can be picked up for around $50 each:

I currently use these, but I plan to upgrade them all to business class battery backups like this one when I have the money:

These suckers cost anywhere from $110 to $350 for the really good ones.  I plan to get 6-8 of these on the higher end of the price range.  I just can never bring myself to spend that much for a damned battery.  I can get a nice dual core computer for that price. :bang

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think I am using 3 at the moment.  Not sure if they work, but figure it is not bad to have one.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, to be honest these would work just fine for me:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218081367518

Maybe I'll go get a couple.  It's worth it.  I could protect 2 computers with this sucker!  If I got these I'd only have to buy 3 of them for my office.  Then I can use the cheap $50 ones I already have for my mothers computer and the master computer in my room.

The reason why one of the $50 ones can't handle 2 computers is due to the fact that even though they've got 6 outlets, only 3 of them are battery backup.  The $200 one I linked to above has 10 outlets.....5 of which are battery backup.  Also, I don't think the $50 one can *safely* handle 2 full computer sets.  You need 1 plug for the computer itself and 1 plug for the monitor.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As for me personally.. In my room there are two. One under my bed for my lamp and any recharging like my cell phone and NDS. One for my computer, speakers etc. etc. :p Oh and a desk lamp.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Do you know what I hate with some of the electronic devices out there when it comes to using these things?  It's that some of them have a plug that's like a box rather than a regular plug.

Yeah, that plug is a perfect analogy of the WRONG way to make them.  I know they do it to reduce costs and all, but come on!  Those plugs take up 2 to 3 of the sockets on these Surge Protectors and Battery Back-ups.  It's even more annoying when you have several of these "box plugs", as I like to call them, and have so few areas to insert them into.

*sighs* I'm glad when I buy something that ends up only taking one socket in the end.  Saves up SO much room. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well Pokeplayer, look at the picture of the cheap $50 battery backup I have in my last posts.  2 of the 6 outlets are specially designed for those huge power adapters.  You should never use power strips unless you absolutely have to due to space constraints.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
3 in my room. Thunderstorms are rare where I live and when one is coming, I physically disconnect all electrical plugs from the outlet. In roughly 10 seconds or possibly less, all electronics are off the grid.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Being in college, I only need one. I don't have much technology in the dorm.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I just unplug my videogames and computers at night or when I leave the house.  I don't like to mess with these things.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Two of them...one for the computer, and another for the tv.  Been using them for years, have had multiple power outages, everything has survived.  Either I'm really lucky or I'm saving lots of money NOT buying the battery back up things.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've got two in my dorm. When you live in a tiny single room like mine, you don't exactly need a ton of power strips. :p