The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Strength Ranking

Noname · 35 · 3047

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Spike was shown to be of such greater strength from Littlefoot that even if Cera were close to Littlefoot, above or below him, that he would be stronger than her as well.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
:huh: Uh...could you be more specific? :confused What exactly did Spike do that showed he was stronger than both Cera and Littlefoot? Did he manage to pull off some feat of strength that Cera showed herself to not be capable of? I believe an example like that (or a quote from one of the LBT characters directly stating that Spike is the strongest) would qualify as sufficient evidence that Spike is stronger than Cera. As it is, I am still not convinced.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think he moved a really big log... and he didn't just roll it either; I think he lifted it and moved it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Personally, I think that cracking big rocks is a better show of strength than lifting up a big log, especially since big rocks tend to be harder and heavier than a big log, which is usually hollow and composed of wood, and wood is lighter than rocks. It's one thing to move a heavy object; it's another thing to be able to crack it, break pieces off. When it comes to strength, I'm more impressed with Cera's ability to smash solid rock just by ramming into them than I am with Spike lifting a hollow log made of much lighter material (wood).

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The log was far larger than any rock we have seen Cera break... and Spike manages to crush a rock back in movie three, after all.

You also have to consider just how small some of these rocks are... Cera, especially in the first film, is not really that big. She rarely, if ever breaks anything larger than her, whereas the log Spike moved, while not as heavy as a rock per unit of volume, was almost certainly far heavier overall. We also see Cera is unable to move a similar (but larger) piece of wood in movie nine.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I do believe Cera is indeed the strongest.

In LBT 4, she managed to cause a rather large rockslide by herself. Also in LBT 4, Spike was shown using his tail to sweep away large rocks while Cera was shown pulverizing similar sized rocks.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I always thought that scene was exaggerated... and that she simply knocked loose some rocks, and gravity did the rest of the work for her.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Knocking loose several rocks (which probably weigh a few hundred pounds), when several tons of pressure is applied on them due to the weight of all the rocks on top of it still requires substantial strength.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Although the rocks on top of them might have been loose too. And it might not take as much force as you say; keep in mind that a typical door that we open is actually quite heavy, but it takes minimal effort to swing it. While not a perfect analogy, the point is quite similar.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
The point seems quite different to me. A heavy object on a hinge would not move similarly to a sedentary heavy object with other heavy objects on top of it.

We could argue that the rocks underneath were loose, but judging by the previous efforts of Littlefoot and the others, they certainly weren't that loose.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think it's a close call between Cera and Spike, but I think Cera is the strongest based on a scene from LBT 12.  When Littlefoot is unable to pull himself over the cliff's edge, Cera manages to pull him up with what seems like little effort.  Ducky tried to help, but that did not help Cera.  We saw Spike help Cera walk in "The Great Logrunning Game", so some would probably use that in Spike's favor, but Cera was actually bearing her weight, which made the job easier on Spike.  Littlefoot, in the scene mentioned above, was unable to bear any of his weight.  Considering Littlefoot would weigh a lot more than Spike, Cera had to lift a lot more weight than Spike had to.  This makes it seem like Cera is stronger than Spike.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I also think that Cera is stronger than Spike. In addition to the very good points that have aleady been made in favor of that view, it seems to me that Cera has a very dense(muscular) build, and knows how to apply force dynamically. Spike's strength, from what I can tell, is a trifle more ambling and incidental, largely attributed to his size. Even if he had a greater capcity for strength than Cera(which he may), I don't think he could effectively reach his full potential. He's a very peaceful, distractable creature.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Sep 15 2009 on  05:49 PM
The log was far larger than any rock we have seen Cera break... and Spike manages to crush a rock back in movie three, after all.
Breaking that rock didn't really tell us anything about how strong Spike is; it gives us an idea of how HEAVY he is! :lol

On a side note, it also makes you wonder what it must have been like for Petrie to be sat on by Spike in movie VI...twice. :o

You also have to consider just how small some of these rocks are... Cera, especially in the first film, is not really that big. She rarely, if ever breaks anything larger than her, whereas the log Spike moved, while not as heavy as a rock per unit of volume, was almost certainly far heavier overall. We also see Cera is unable to move a similar (but larger) piece of wood in movie nine.
Even a small rock isn't an easy thing to break, and most of the ones we see Cera shattering are at least the size of her own head. Admittedly, the rocks in LBT seem to break more easily than real-world stone (otherwise one would have expected the original Sharptooth and Chomper's mother to have suffered brain damage :p), and I can't remember any examples of Spike attempting to smash rocks with his head, so we can’t really compare Cera’s strength to Spike’s in this regard anyway. However, in LBT IV, Cera managed to knock most of the leaves off a tree in a single charge (even the adult spiketail seen attempting the same in LBT VIII during Mr. Thicknose’s lecture wasn’t anywhere near as successful), whereas in movie V Spike had to ram a tree multiple times to dislodge a single treestar (which may have ultimately been accomplished by Petrie’s simultaneous attempts to pluck it himself.).

Also, if you're talking about the log that she was helping her father move, that was a freshly fallen TREE; very different from a hollow log. The tree also still had all its branches on; something like that doesn't roll very easily, and is even harder to push.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The thing Spike was lifting in that TV episode may actually have been a TREE as well! I have to go back and look. Also, Spike's jump on the Rock in the Third Movie is an example of strength AND weight, as he didn't fall on it, he jumped on it.

They also never emphasize Cera as being strong in the gang, but they DO mention Spike's strength... the closest thing we get is Cera embarrassing herself in front of the others when she fails to break a large rock in movie 10.

On another note, the strength levels seem to be inconsistent from movie to movie...

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
On another note, the strength levels seem to be inconsistent from movie to movie...
I totally agree on that :yes

My list:
1. Cera for being able to crash almost every stone and for her being very brave. She also has a useful weapon: her horn.
2. Spike for being the biggest and heaviest dinosaur of the Gang.
3. Chomper because he is a Sharptooth after all. Although other dinosaurs are stronger he has the weapons(his teeth and claws) to handle them.
4. Littlefoot. He's weaker than Cera although he is bigger than her, but since he lost every fight with Cera I consider him weaker than Cera. The arguments for Spike being stronger than Littlefoot can be found in the older posts. Chomper is stronger than Littlefoot because he 'could' hurt him pretty badly by biting him.
5. Ruby. I haven't seen any noticable strength so I'll place her after Littlefoot. She has some
brain strength' though ...
6. Petrie because he's able to keep Ducky in the air for a short time which is much more difficult for him than carrying Petrie around would be for Ducky.
7. Therefore Ducky is the weakest in my list(I hope she won't be mad at me  :unsure: )
Inactive, probably forever.