The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Google Docs vs. MS Word

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So since my new laptop apparently only has a version of MS Word preinstalled that's only gonna work until the end of the week (since it's apparently just a trial version), I'm currently testing Google Docs as an alternative and so far I'm rather happy with it. Aside from a few little "luxury problems" that I'm having with it (a.k.a. little nitpicks like not being able to copy and paste using your mouse/touchpad only), I've actually only noticed advantages of Google Docs that MS Word can't offer me (as far as I'm aware, that is)

So what I'm asking you is: Which program are you using when there's something to type on the computer (whether that be work-related or literature) and how does it compare to MS Word respectively Google Docs (or both if you're using something completely different)? Which positive things are there to mention and which flaws to point at?
Inactive, probably forever.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Have you considered Open Office as an alternative? I've been using "Writer" and "Calc" for a couple of years now. While I admit I prefer Word to Writer, Writer basically has the same functionality from what I can tell.

Google Docs, as much as I quite like it, does still feel a bit too much like typing in a browser app vs. a fully-featured word processing program. Just my personal taste but I like Writer as my go-to alternative to Word. :)

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I tend to use ms word for personal writing projects and school work (mostly because I stole the free copy that my husband's college provided  :lol ), and google docs for collaborative work. Both programs' capabilities suit my needs well enough, but I'm usually plagued by spotty internet connections while I'm at school, so I find ms word a safer and more functional option.

I used to use open office, and I liked that program as well. The only issue that I had with it was that sometimes the formatting would get messed up when saving as a .doc, which was the file type I was required to use for work at the time.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input :)

Have you considered Open Office as an alternative? I've been using "Writer" and "Calc" for a couple of years now. While I admit I prefer Word to Writer, Writer basically has the same functionality from what I can tell.
No, not so far. Might have to check it out but I've already befriended Google Docs, so I'll probably stick to it now :p The really big (and quite useful) advantage is that I can now use boring lectures at university (or free lessons or time while I'm on the go) to work on my writing or any other files I might have to work on from my phone and continue working on them at home with my laptop ;) Also won't lose my files in case my harddrive dies at some point...

Google Docs, as much as I quite like it, does still feel a bit too much like typing in a browser app vs. a fully-featured word processing program. Just my personal taste but I like Writer as my go-to alternative to Word. smile.gif
Everybody has their own taste I suppose. In terms of design, Word was definitely better, I'll agree there. :)

I tend to use ms word for personal writing projects and school work (mostly because I stole the free copy that my husband's college provided dino_laugh.gif ), and google docs for collaborative work. Both programs' capabilities suit my needs well enough, but I'm usually plagued by spotty internet connections while I'm at school, so I find ms word a safer and more functional option.
Yeah, it is great for collaborating with others (like RPing ^^) but it's true that you're dependant on the internet working. If you have a complete internet failure, youo can't get to your files, that's probably the biggest disadvantage of it.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I used ms word before I knew about Google Docs

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd switch back to Word right away if I could.

I just don't own a copy and I can't justify it because I don't *need* it over Writer for anything in particular.

In a perfect world I'd be back on Word, though. :)

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Never even tried Google Docs... I've been using a very old version of MS Word actually and that already led to some people having trouble viewing the documents I've sent them. Maybe it's high time I upgraded to the next level. :DD

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes yes it is its 2016 and I never knew the older version of MS Word still existed

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have jumped ship to Google Docs myself.  For as much as I enjoyed Open Office, Google Docs has the advantage of being connected to my Google Account and I can do my work on multiple computers.  It has even allowed me to work on my stories through my phone.  Something I highly look forward to when I want to work on them and I only have that available.

Trust me when I say that it's worth it to jump ship to Google Docs. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It has even allowed me to work on my stories through my phone. Something I highly look forward to when I want to work on them and I only have that available.
Oh yeah, I wrote a good portion of the progress on my story this week on the phone using Google Docs. You don't even have to be connected to the internet to do that. You just have to load up the document first when you have internet and then you can do the rest offline.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Personally, a fan of Google Docs.  Easier to use, you can get feedback, and you can always pop up stuff on any device you choose.
Openoffice is only really better if you need fancier formatting, integrated media, etc.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I currently use Focuswriter for my writing. It's customizable. You can set up goals (and even reset the goal of the day if you want to do more than one thing in that day). You can control what you see. It has a tab system so you can have several documents open in a single window and easily switch between them. You can easily set up paragraph markers and on the side you can see all the scenes you wrote and very easily switch them around. It has several options, including one to autosave. It's lightweight, has a portable version you can stick on a usb stick and go anywhere with. And it's been more stable for me than OpenOffice or LibreOffice or Abiword (the other programs that I've used). You can save cursor position so it'll automatically go there when you reload the program. You can have it highlight the section that you are presently in, and I'm sure there's some things I still missed.

Google Docs isn't bad, but the issue you have to watch out for is making sure you trust who has access to it and always keep a backup and don't write solely on there. Someone could easily erase your work and without a backup, you are not getting it back. At least, that's the experience a friend of mine had.