The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Earthquake in Chile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If true that is interesting news.  I don't think most folks would notice, but still interesting indeed if an earthquake can do that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
So far you have never really mentioned what effects the earthquake had right at the spot where you live Fernando. I'm very glad that apparently you and your relatives did not suffer any damage, but how did you experience the earthquake?

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
I was dead worried about you guys! I heard it being talked about so I rushed here to check if you guys were still around.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I was really worried... I'm glad you and your relatives are okay.  :)
But there is still no sign from Dante... :(

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 And thank you Sky and Paradise Bird. I also hope Dante will come back online, he did have problems with the english, but that can be easily solved... if Dante lives in the affected areas, it may take some time until coming online again, but let's hope that he is ok.

As for your question Malte, I didn't feel it. the earthauqke happened at many kilometers south of Santiago, and I live in the northest city at 2080 km north of Santiago. The earthquake was in it's faintest magnitude in Antofagasta at about 1000 km south of my city. But I know what an earthquake feels like, because I remember three that were over 7 in the Richter scale that affected my city: In 1987, 2001 and 2005 with many quakes of many magnitudes every now and then.

Even with my experience, I cannot really give myself an idea of the horror an earthquake of magnitude 8.8 (in Richter because it was 9 in the Mercalli scale) can cause.
-----
 Just an hour ago, a quake hitted the city of Calama (a city that is center of lots of the mining in Chile), it was 6.3 in the Richter scale... and a lot more closer to my city. I just wanted to let you know.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Uh-oh...I sincerely hope an aftershock does not hit your area, Chiletrek. Stay safe!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I hope it doesn't effect your city, good luck.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Quote from: jedi472,Mar 4 2010 on  08:28 PM
Uh-oh...I sincerely hope an aftershock does not hit your area, Chiletrek. Stay safe!
The aftershock would not be stronger than the original release so rest assured.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Thank you people for your concern, it means a lot :DD .
 The quake that hitted Calama is a separate event, not an aftershock of the earthquake from south of Chile. But speaking of aftershocks, I think the strongest one was of 6.9 in the Richter scale. Scientists say that aftershock could continue for at least two months, but they will be getting less regular in time, until the techtocnic plates finish re-accomodating themselves.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Indeed.  Hopefully sooner rather then later.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I recently heard that there's a photo of a man holding up a Chilean flag, which has been giving hope to the country. I can't seem to find that photo at the moment, but I remember what it looks like.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I know what pic you are referring to. It was indeed aeen all around the world. Maybe we could find it somewhere as my scanner is still broken (I have the pic as it has appeared in the newspapers.).