The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Yet another earthquake

raga · 24 · 2023

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
First Haiti, then Chile, now take a jump across the Pacific to Taiwan.  Yes, yet another earthquake, this one a 6.4.  Luckily only minor injuries have been reported and there does not seem to be any serious damage.  Perhaps the Earth is sending us a little message?  Or maybe the whole 2012 end of the world thing is kicking off early?  Odds are its simply a coincidence, but still, three large earthquakes and we're only a sixth the way through the year, its rather strange.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Coincidence.

Chile, Haiti and Taiwan are in seismically active areas.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Mar 4 2010 on  12:38 AM
Coincidence.

:exactly

I'm not a believer in the whole 2012 armageddon thing, so I share this opinion that it's coincidence.

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm suprised New Zealand hasn't had a big one yet, as we are apparantly situated on a faultline....or something along those lines anyway.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
One hit Japan right before the Chile quake but it hit a remote area and didn't cause any serious damage.  That is probably why it didn't get reported as much.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Mar 4 2010 on  06:55 AM
Quote from: Serris,Mar 4 2010 on  12:38 AM
Coincidence.

:exactly

I'm not a believer in the whole 2012 armageddon thing, so I share this opinion that it's coincidence.
Same for me!

Too bad there's yet another earthquake though, but indeed less strong than the previous ones.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess those areas are on fault lines or areas geologically active and prone to earthquakes?

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Yes, and since there was a strong quake in japan before the earthquake here in Chile, then I guess the ring of fire of the pacific ocean is getting more active... I just hope it will cease it's activity though or there could be many more earthquakes in many other places.
 I also don't believe this has todo with the 2012. The planet does have times of increased activity, that is natural.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
We have plenty of reasons to be worried about manmade disasters and what we can do about those. I am not sure if I find it refreshing that December 23rd 2012 is really something we don't need to worry about or if I find it annoying that people are wasting their concern on something that won't happen (and that they could do nothing about even if it did) rather than being concerned about the kind of disaster where they could do (whatever minor) individual contribution to lessen its bite.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I guess what I was saying was a bit misunderstood, the 2012 thing was a joke :oops  :oops

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
No worries, raga.  I believe it rather coincidence too.  All of this shows that the world we live is not permanently set in place.  Why do you think the world now is very different from the world the dinosaurs lived in?

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I understand that, but still, and now there has been yet ANOTHER large quake.  A 6.5 off of sumatra.  I realize its natural but I'm just pointing out that this is getting crazy now, I've never heard of 4 large quakes so closely timed with each other.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Sumatra is in a seismically active area.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
people are likely putting to much into a coincidence.   I wonder if any have looked back to see how far back records happen and if things like this have happened before, if records for the world go back very far.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think Turkey just had a quake recently.  Doesn't sound as large, though.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
A Turkish quake? When did this happen? I know that area is prone to getting them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Indeed :(
The earthquake hit the eastern part of Turkey where many of the poorest citizens are living. Though the earthquake was significantly weaker than the one that hit Chile the damage is extreme because most of the buildings in the area are built of clay bricks and the structures are absolutely unsuited the stand any earthquake at all. In a sense the Turkish metropolis of Istanbul is in a situation similar to many metropolises in California. Scientists predict that a major earthquake will strike there during the next decades, but they can't be more precise about the when. Unfortunately the structures in Istanbul are not much better suited to stand for earthquakes than many of the Anatolian buildings which were hit now. Also the recent flood disaster in Istanbul showed how mismanaged some of the layout of the town is in terms of preparation for emergencies. I hope that something will be done to lessen the effect of this disaster in the making :unsure:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very sad news indeed, and most folks don't want to take steps necessary to make buildings more earthquake protected, and it would likely require totally rebuilding most of the buildings.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 That is very bad indeed, I hope the number of deaths will remain low. And rebuilding is always a costly task.

As for Chile, there were three big aftershocks this morning, and it was decreed a preventive tsunami alert for more than half the country, but the ocean has been quiet so far, I hope it will keep that way.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I hope you and your folks were not affected personally by the aftershocks? It was in the news over here :(
The earth sure is shaky these days :unsure: