The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 4 to 9 Review

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We all forget how much work goes into these reviews.  A lot of funny stuff happens.  Especially with such a complex thing that DiamandaHagan has.

LBT 8 Review Bloopers (Or Flubs as she likes to call them.)

Geez!  That must get REALLY frustrating! :)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You know, for all the effort we are putting in to reviewing these movies, I think that we must remember that these movies are directed towards kids. The writers probably weren't too concerned with the plot, but more about entertainment of little kids.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: lbt/cty_lover,Jul 10 2010 on  12:39 PM
You know, for all the effort we are putting in to reviewing these movies, I think that we must remember that these movies are directed towards kids. The writers probably weren't too concerned with the plot, but more about entertainment of little kids.
THAT is still NO excuse.  Even kids movies can have great plot and storytelling.  You just need to find the right writer, editor, producer, director, etc.  All of which can be rather difficult to get.

Anyways, thanks to my recent download of Windows Live Movie Maker, I have been able to make The Land Before Time 7 Review as good as it can get. (Basically, even though it says 720p, it is NOT HD.)

Part 1

Part 2

But still, enjoy the enhanced version. :)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 11 2010 on  02:18 PM
THAT is still NO excuse.  Even kids movies can have great plot and storytelling.  You just need to find the right writer, editor, producer, director, etc.  All of which can be rather difficult to get.

You got me there, now that I recall Don Bluth's works from the 1980s.

Also, you didn't need to shout "no". (j/k)

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jul 11 2010 on  02:18 PM

You're forgetting the most important part of making a good kids movie: You actually have to put effort into your work. As cliche as this may sound, a good story and good characters aren't hard to make. You just need to have some imagination. Something I think a lot of kids movies today are severely lacking in.

One thing I don't understand is why so many kids movies today are so sugarcoated and safe. When I was a kid, I was growing up with The Land Before Time(obviously  :DD  ), Batman the Animated Series, Dragon Ball Z, Tenchi Muyo and Yuyu Hakusho. Hey, I was watching Adult Swim by the time I was nine. Those weren't  the most kid friendly of shows but I enjoyed them and I turned out just fine. I don't think there's anything wrong with exposing kids to more mature themes such as death and maybe even parenting. Most of the things that adults try to cover up are things that kids are going to need to learn eventually when they start to get older.

I think it's possible to make a kids movie with a good story, maybe even a great one. It just seems like most studios today would rather focus on "how fun" a kids movie is or "how super duper cool the 3-D looks" than actually focus on what truly matters: the characters and story. Pixar and How to Train Your Dragon proved that you can have kids films that are fun yet still have a good story.

Bruton the Iguanodon

I loved That Gal with the Braids' review, too Pokeplayer! I love how she says everything in a sarcastically happy voice, it cracks me up! I wish she'd review all the movies. I thought the review of 5 was soooo boring though. Only one of the songs even got a mention. Definitely don't want to see that guy do it again. I thought the one of 7 was okaay, but the chick who reviewed 8 was just scary. Don't get me wrong, she definitely had a---a aquired charm, but she could have focused more on the film. From what it looks like 9 is much of the same. A pity, cause I'd like to see really funny reviews of all of the films.  :(