The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Zetaboards Beta Test

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I don't know how many here realize it but invisionfree is eventually going to do an upgrade to their board services.  I don't know how well the new system will work (we don't have to leave this type of system if we choose) but I'd like to try it out all the same.

Here is our unofficial test board: http://beta.zetaboards.com/The_Gang_of_Five/index/

This is not permanent and will be deleted once the beta test is over at invisionfree.  Try it out if you get a chance so we know in the future if we'd like to migrate to the new system or stay here.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well like most boards on the surface what users see etc is pretty much the same. I think its in the admin etc areas where a board shines or falls flat. A good example is phpbb compaired to ikonboar or its newer off shoot invision power boards. Phpbb is a nightmare to administrate. Takes 4 times as many clicks and entries to do the same thing you can do on ikb or ipb. I personally wont touch phpbb im leary of even making a account on phpbb. But all its security holes etc are besides the point as admining the thing sucks.

The only real thing diffrent i seen was the portal on the zetaboards. Something most will never use any ways. I say stick with what works and what you know. And if at some time you all decide to move to your own domain you can pack up the board as is by backign up install invision power boards on the domain and unpack. With zeta boards importing this forums data base will be a nightmare at best and impossible at worst.

Then you have the security isues that will exist on zeta boads because its young that just dont exist here.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I checked out the new beta tester forum. Doesn't look too bad. A little stale and and bland but if that's where our future as a forum lies...then I trust your judgement Petrie! :) I'd be all for it if you give it the thumbs up! ;) I'm sure that blandness is something we can change!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I'm not sure how to change the blandness on my own.  Apparently, the zeta team will offer a conversion tool which (should) be able to convert what we have here to the new system.  Too bad its not up for testing...I'd really want to know how much work I'd have to do. :p

At least initially I see nothing that would make me want to upgrade to zeta.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
So long there are no problems with the GOF as it is (I see none) I don't see any reason to change it without any prospect of improvement. As we are not forced to move and wouldn't gain anything but additional work from a move I opt to stay while we can.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ Yep, plus I'm used to this system...how long would it take me to learn something new?

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Mar 24 2007 on  07:04 PM
^ Yep, plus I'm used to this system...how long would it take me to learn something new?
Yeh exactly. The way i see it it is not worth the hassle. If at some point you have to move the boards i could always give you access to my domain to install invision board. That means the change would be to a domain name and data base import easy. I think i get 2 gigs tfer a month and a few 100 megs storage space. More than enough for forums. I also have 2 domain names i can host on my host and only have 1 there so figure full domain cost little my hosting is free (for who knows how long) so plentty of options. In other words no need to worry long as i got a web host heh.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So long there are no problems with the GOF as it is (I see none) I don't see any reason to change it without any prospect of improvement. As we are not forced to move and wouldn't gain anything but additional work from a move I opt to stay while we can.
Agreed.  I looked at the beta forum, though I didn't register for it.  From the outside, I fail to see any improvement.  I don't believe we have any serious security flaws here that need to be patched up, but if there are things that I am not aware of that concern you about this board, please speak up!  It doesn't seem like it's really worth the switch.  From what I see, I'm voting No for a switch.

If at some point you have to move the boards i could always give you access to my domain to install invision board. That means the change would be to a domain name and data base import easy. I think i get 2 gigs tfer a month and a few 100 megs storage space. More than enough for forums. I also have 2 domain names i can host on my host and only have 1 there so figure full domain cost little my hosting is free (for who knows how long) so plentty of options. In other words no need to worry long as i got a web host heh.
This may come in handy but we'll have to see if that sort of switch is worth the effort either.  Thanks very much for the offer though!  If in the future we need to expand, we have somewhere to turn. B)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The current system is perfect in my opinion.  Unless you can point out some significant advantages to the new system, I would not be in favor of the change.