The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The $1 Million Challenge

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is inspired by a YouTube Video that made a similar scenario, but I'm being more realistic.

You are on a TV Show.  You are given $1 Million by the host.  It's completely tax free and it's yours, but there's a catch.  You have to spend it all within 24 hours or you lose it all.  Here's the rules.

1.  You can't give any of it to anyone or any charity.

2.  You can't put it into a bank account.  Meaning you can't buy digital goods.

3.  All things you buy must be physical and real and must be allowed to be paid by cash.

4.  If you don't spend it all, everything must be returned and the money will go to some horrible organization that does horrible things and only gets to exist more because we gave them money.

Can you pull it off and what would you spend the money on?

Good luck! ;)Cera

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The time frame as well as paying in cash could be an issue, but if I could get away with it I would buy a house. That would easily be $300,000 to $1 million right there depending on size and location.

There seems to be a loophole in the first rule as well as it states you can't give it away but it says nothing about buying something and giving that away (or selling it to someone for $0.01). If that's the case just head to the nearest car dealership and buying cars for all your friends! Same thing goes with any sort of trade, like I could "buy" something off of a homeless person for $50,000 as an example. Private buying doesn't have to be regulated and without the added rule of being able to tell people your playing a game with the intent of spending money I'm sure people would gladly play along.

This all seems based off of an older movie (can't remember the name) where the last related person is set to inherit a fortune from someone he never knew that was extremely rich. He had 2 options: Walk out with a $1 million no strings attached or play a game similar to this one. The game was to spend $30 million in 30 days, if he does he gets $100 million, if he fails he gets nothing and the bank keeps it all (the villains of the movie). The biggest catch was that he couldn't tell anyone about the rules otherwise he would lose so it made it a lot harder as people would constantly try to stop him. There wasn't a limitation on physical things but it had to have value as well as he couldn't own any of the things he bought in the time. Pretty fun movie to watch to see what he would spend it on. A lot of hiring people and renting stuff.

Littlefoot505

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@Flathead770 That movie is called Brewster's Millions, and this reminded me of that movie too :p

Let's see...

I think I could easily spend tens of thousands on photography gear (camera, lenses, better computers, professional printer, accessories for all those things, etc) given the chance. Maybe some new cars for myself, my friends, and my family (I could put a huge dent in that million if I bought anyone an expensive car like a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, etc). A house would be hella nice. I'd probably give a lot of the stuff to friends and family, since I'm not sure if I could even want $1M in material goods :p