The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT the game boy color game

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Earlier this morning I found the rom to The Land Before Time on game boy color I downloaded it and played and while playing I decided this game sucks horrible gameplay,mediocre music(its an old game but they could still use Horner's score),frustrating password system and it didn't even have Littlefoot as the main character instead it had Cera as the player character and her sprite looked like she had just dunked her head into radioactive  waste the only time Littlefoot is seen is on the "Game Over" screen where Cera and him are headbutting it dosen't even mention Ducky,Spike,or Petrie you control Cera the whole game and collect treestars a task that would be better for the main man Littlefoot and some enemies and hazards are nearly impossible to get past without taking a hit(you can only take 5 hits) I don't even think it has bosses and you know what that means - no Sharptooth and the game is quite difficult for a child's game so I must say The Land Before Time on GBC is the worst excuse for a movie based game since "Back To The Future" on the NES :anger

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
If you're curious, Mumbling made a video showing the start screen and some gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vC5kxAYMNI

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If you want to play a decent LBT game, just get the return to big water one for PS1.  It's actually kinda fun at first, but the fact that you have to play each level 5 different times (once per character) kills it.  After you've beaten the level twice as Littlefoot and Cera, doing it 3 more times isn't very appealing. <_<

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
yeah I'm my opinion the PS1 games have come closer to a great game then any others I would rather play LBT return to the great valley for ps1(mainly cause its full 3D) over the GBC one.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, most LBT games generally get the short end of the stick. It's kinda sad, really.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
yeah but like I said this is the worst in fact AVGN should review it((off topic)no I really prefer Nastalgia Critic better).

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think that's one of his future episodes. I'll have to check, though.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
if it is then I would actually watch it I rarly watch AVGN vids because of dirty language but that would be worth it.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yep I actually own the game and it's even worse for the actual system then when you play it on an emulator.

As for the video, I made it with a dutch review for our game section on the dutch LBT fansite.... Sadly enough that game section should be completely redone.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
hey it could have been worse imagine if LJN the company who made those awful game adaptations for Back To The Future and T2 Judgement Day... then again it already is that bad, its just one those games that just isn't worth it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
believe me it is if you're really  daring you could download a GBA emulator,download the game and see you yourself but I wouldn't recommend buying it.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I bought a used copy of this game recently; I can verify that attempting to complete it is a pain in the neck. :anger (Though I personally thought that the Cera sprite was rather cute. :p) I also have the "Into the Mysterious Beyond" game for the GBA, and I can tell you that it's not much better (not in my opinion, anyway).

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just imagine what a good lbt game could have been like.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The last LBT game was the best.  I actually made a review of it some time ago.  It is called The Land Before Time: Into the Mysterious Beyond for Game Boy Advance.

You can check it out here.

Trust me, Universal made the right move with this one.  Too bad it was overshadowed by competition at the time. (Nintendo had moved on to the DS and this was one of the last games for GBA. :()

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Is it a platformer? I've seen clips of it and it seems to be a type of platformer.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Aug 6 2009 on  12:47 AM
Is it a platformer? I've seen clips of it and it seems to be a type of platformer.
Yes and no.  It's actually more of a sidescroller/platformer game.  A good percentage of the levels have literally zero platforms.

For instance, Ducky's levels are basically swimming levels.  She has to free logs from inside the water that are tied down by vines to help the rest of the gang get across.

Petrie's level involves flying while fighting a big sharptooth.

Cera's levels consists of an upward auto-scrolling level.  All you have to do is make sure falling rocks don't hit the rest of the gang behind you.  It's rather simple.

Spike's levels consist of going through a dangerous maze.  You have to push logs or knock down trees to ensure you can cross some water.  I guess those puddles are rather deep.  Not to mention you have to avoid enemies since you have no way of attacking them.

Littlefoot has a mix of levels.  In a few of them, it's a simple sidescroller/platformer level where you just have to get to the end of the level while beating up bad guys along the way.

On another of Littlefoot's levels, you have to run away from a sharptooth in traditional sidescrolling, while avoiding traps, trying to reach the end of the level.

Then there's a level where the gang is sliding down a snow-covered slope and you have to guide them to the end.  Make sure to avoid the pitfalls.

The final level is Grandpa Longneck's level where it's a back to Littlefoot's first style of levels.  It's basic sidescrolling/platforming while beating up the bad guys.  Only this time, it consists of a whole lot more bad guys.

So it's mostly sidescrolling with hardly any platforming, if anything.

Also, I went and did a bit more research.  Turns out this game was SO overshadowed that it has zero reviews, zero guides and zero cheats at all of the sites I know of that hold those things for a game.

Now that's just sad. :(

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I've played that game but I've never beat it but the last level Grandpa Longneck in a sidscroller I could imagine he would take up alot of space on the screen  :lol but hey, it's better then the other LBT game on GBA that had small characters, more vertical levels and the most out of place bosses I mean really the first boss in that game is a giant scorpion how bad could bosses get  :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
it kind of is but  its better then the game this topic is about