The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Growing Disguised as OOC

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As far as I know, everyone who has seen Ducky’s greed with the shiny stones in “Search for the Sky Color Stones” has considered that to be very out of character for her, a flaw from the writers. In fact, I did as well for the longest time. Now, sitting in my chair, contemplating a new a LBT thread, I couldn’t help but wonder if this was actually NOT out of character and very-well planned out. Even in children’s shows, things can be pretty subtle.

The first episode was “The Cave of Many Voices.” In it, we see Ducky being greedy for the first time in the television series. There are plenty of leaves in the area, but just because she had her eyes on some, two domeheads run by and eat them. Instead of the usual, sweet, innocent Ducky saying, “Oh well, there is plenty more where that came from. Yep yep yep!” she startling takes chase, shouting that they aren’t theirs (or in other words, they’re hers and they can’t have them). This might have been a foreshadowing to the bigger scene of selfishness in “Search for the Sky Color Stones.”

However, just because it wasn’t a one-time thing, that doesn’t mean it’s in character. So is this sequence of events accurate for Ducky? Actually, I think it is. Ducky and Spike have been sharing most everything ever since they came to the Great Valley- food, hiding spots, opinions, and more to a large extent. They’re inseparable. I don’t recall any “Mine’s!” from Ducky in the movie series (in terms of an aggressive claim). Now then, none of the other main characters have a sibling they adventure and play with to share to such an amount with, so I would be surprised if they changed in this area.

When a couple shares everything for so long, one or both of them may begin to long for a bit of personal aspects in life. Sharing everything may grow tiresome, and irritability can set in. In fact, the foreshadowing of Ducky’s behavior with the sky color stones may date as far back as the first cold time of the Great Valley. Ducky had literally gotten tired of her brother, and being as Spike was less troublesome than many other characters, I can’t help but think it was the constant contact and sharing that she needed a break from to experience some individuality. (For example, if they weren’t sharing the exact same sleeping place, Ducky wouldn’t have been affected by his sleep movements which contributed to her anger.) When she was on her own long enough, wasn’t sharing every little thing, she got the break she needed, calmed down, and reconciled with her brother.

So it’s possible that the eighth movie has been starting to show a break in Ducky’s tolerance and selflessness, and rightfully so. We see it at the beginning of the series, then to a larger degree with Cera and Ruby with the stones. Yet, things don’t stop here. Anyone else notice that in “The Hidden Canyon,” which takes place after the selfish scene with the domeheads, Ducky’s mother puts their food in separate piles? I don’t recall her ever doing that before. (Did she?) So it could be that even Ducky’s mother saw that Ducky was growing up, wanting a bit more to herself, so maybe she thought it best to give them their own piles of green food. Also, in “The Great Log-Running Game,” Ducky wanted the title of best log runner. In other words, she wanted something the others didn’t have.

So many these writers didn’t goof up. Maybe their simply geniuses who decided to work with the psychology of what it’s like when you’re young and growing while having to share every aspect of your life with someone. I now see her greed as very realistic given the circumstances. Imagine you had someone you shared EVERYTHING with for years. Wouldn’t you, at some point, just be screaming in your mind, “I want something all of my own!” Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t think Ducky is regressing but quite the contrary. Wanting her own things out of life is very common in adolescence. Kids are more apt to share than many teenagers I’ve seen.

Kids: Want to play with my ball?
Want to try my chips?
Want to ride on my bike?

Teenagers: I want my own room.
Buy me my own car.
Give me an allowance for my work.

Now I know it’s not black and white like that, but that is generally how I see the conversion nowadays from child to getting older. So perhaps we shouldn’t look down on Ducky for her behavior, but instead, try and connect with what it’s like to be in her “shoes” and watch with care as she grows before our eyes. Some people feel that the gang never gets older. I can’t help but disagree, but does anyone disagree with me?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sharp as ever, Michael. Ducky growing up and wanting more space for herself is a very good explanation of the events you mentioned. And kudos for including the separate piles in "Hidden Canyon" in the equation. That one wasn't quite obvious to me. However, only in the "Search for the Sky Color Stones" and in "The Big Freeze" movie Ducky shows lasting greed and anger, respectively, and remorse after what she did in the TV episode. Through the remainder of the video and TV series such emotions are only short outbursts without any lasting effect, provoked by a sudden event. She simply reverts to her "normal" self, and acts the way we have known her to do since the first movies. In the 2nd movie she was definitely a child, playing as sharptooth after all the horror the Gang went through in the 1st movie. She is still a child all the way to the 8th movie. Then until the TV series she is a child again. But then, the "Great Log Running Game" shows Ducky having a very mature attitude ("I don't care if I didn't win. It's just a game"). In the "March of the Sand Creepers" she convincingly takes the role of elder sister, and sings a lullaby that puts the sand creepers to sleep.

So I would say that something is definitely going on in that little green pointy head. It looks like Ducky is maturing, but she is unwilling to let her baby cuteness go away. In fact if I didn't know better, I'd say by the time of the TV series she matured so much she acts (stress on "acts") as a small child only to fit the image her friends and the rest of the Valley have of her. It's like a person who excells at school and has a wide range of interests. The person's friends, family, teachers etc. start thinking of him/her as a genius. The image persists even thought the person ages, starts falling into problems and begins developing a multi-faceted, real personality. In order not to disappoint the people around, the person acts to fit the old image of a one-sided, perfect genius. The acting must stop eventually, and then collective surprise and disappointment ensues.

We can assume that for most of the Great Valley Ducky is "that cute, adorable, frail little swimmer". Her parents think of her the same, as shown in the 5th movie where Ms. Swimmer finds it necessary to cover Ducky's eyes to protect her from the sight of the swimmer skeleton. However, she doesn't deem it necessary to protect Spike from the same view. And this attitude lasts for 13 movies! Imagine all the gossip that would spread through the Great Valley at lightning speed if Ducky refused to go on an adventure and just wanted to stay home, questioned the decisions of adults the way Littlefoot and Cera had, told Petrie to stop being such a scaredy egg, said she hated Sierra or just stood up for herself in front of her siblings.

She might be more sophisticated than she appears to be.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree with both of your posts, and contrary to what some may have to say negtively about her behvior, I actually like it.  It gives her more of a flawed or "mortal" feel, as all mortal beings have shortcomings.