The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Award voting 2012

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Since tuesday september 11th the award voting 2012 has started. The voting on the first awards would regularly end tomorrow (two weeks after the start that is). Since there has been very little participation so far (several members have been nominated for awards but not voted themselves, so they couldn't receive the awards they are elected for) the voting time will be expanded by one week until october 2nd. Of course there is nothing obligatory about the participation, but with all the work that the preparation of the award voting always means for the staff we would be happy to see more people participate in the award voting.
Limited participation in the award votes has been the case before, but this year there seems to be be a new deep point.
In a 2011 poll 39 out of 43 people voted that they would participate in the vote. This year 12 people have voted after two weeks. There is likely going to be a thread in the Rock Circle about the awards (which is why I am going to close this thread since the discussion does not belong into the announcement section). If there is no more interest in this GOF tradition it may not be continued in years to come anymore.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just a few days are left for the already prolonged voting session of this year's awards. 16 of 107 eligible member have voted so far which means a participation of about 15%. At least four people who are thus far leading in the pols for an award haven't cast their votes themselves (nobody who doesn't vote him or herself may receive the award he or she may have been elected for). I hope that perhaps there will be a final rush in the last few days (voting ends on tuesday) or else it will have been a really small participation indeed :(

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Well, the real problem becomes if those four receive their awards; rules say no because they didn't bother to participate.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Have you tried my suggestion of sending PMs to those members who have received nominations but not yet voted?

I still think there's a chance that the GOF Awards would have received more participation this year if more attention had been drawn to it, such as through the following methods:
  • There were some advance notice of the Awards event, so that members would be made aware that it would be coming soon. Perhaps a poll asking whether or not members would participate in the Awards could become a yearly precursor to the event.
  • The start (and perhaps the end as well) of the voting period were officially announced via a thread like this one in the Announcements section.
  • The Awards event were "advertised" (a term I somehow feel reluctant to use :unsure:) on the main page of the forum, perhaps through a small secondary banner.
  • The award threads were somehow more visible and/or readily accessible, ideally from the main page of the forum.
Let me know if there is any way I can help (now or ever, with any aspect of the GOF Awards). I for one really enjoy the award votingóI think it is a great community event that is a perfect way for members to reciprocate appreciation for one anotheróand I would hate to see it not happen again. :neutral

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There had been quite a few announcements and there has also been the prolonging of the vote being put up here in the prominent announcement section. Anyone can look up the award voting thread, the rules, the tally and the participation list. However, since the vote IS voluntarily I don't think it is a good idea to harrass members into voting by emailing them. People who have been voted for cannot receive the awards without having voted themselves. The lack of participation in itself may be a vote concerning the interest (or lack of such) in the award votes. I'm sorry for all those who did take their time to vote and who were very active about the award voting, but with too little overall participation the vote is lead ad absurdum and we may have to consider discontinuing this tradition based on the participation at the end of the vote (there's still some time to go till tuesday).
Limited participation also cuts down the number of candidates who can be voted for in the appreciated member award (those who voted but received no award).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Perhaps if we just let members list their votes rather than having to write up a paragraph explaining their choice.  A paragraph isn't much, but multiply it by 7 awards and you end up having to write a whole essay just to vote.  And requiring everyone to vote on every award isn't fair either.  There are too many new faces around here and I haven't gotten to know everyone as well as I would have liked to.  So I can cast 1 or 2 votes maybe but not all of them.  For example, I could place a helpful member award quite easily but the others I may have trouble with.  I'm sure there are many others that are in the same boat I'm in.  And I'm a "seasoned" member if I do say so myself!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To be honest, the difference in the amounts of votes compared to the previous years can easily be explained... Look at this:

This is a scheme of the number of posts per month. You can see it has decreased massively compared to the two previous years of voting. I don't think it's a lack of interest in the voting system, but a lack of participation on the GoF in general. Which isn't weird since there are no new LBT updates.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Sep 30 2012 on  11:49 AM
Perhaps if we just let members list their votes rather than having to write up a paragraph explaining their choice.  A paragraph isn't much, but multiply it by 7 awards and you end up having to write a whole essay just to vote.  And requiring everyone to vote on every award isn't fair either.  There are too many new faces around here and I haven't gotten to know everyone as well as I would have liked to.  So I can cast 1 or 2 votes maybe but not all of them.  For example, I could place a helpful member award quite easily but the others I may have trouble with.  I'm sure there are many others that are in the same boat I'm in.  And I'm a "seasoned" member if I do say so myself!
You may cast 1 or 2 votes and they will be counted, but you won't be eligible to win one yourself unless you've cast 6 votes.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Sep 30 2012 on  03:40 AM
There had been quite a few announcements and there has also been the prolonging of the vote being put up here in the prominent announcement section. Anyone can look up the award voting thread, the rules, the tally and the participation list. However, since the vote IS voluntarily I don't think it is a good idea to harrass members into voting by emailing them. People who have been voted for cannot receive the awards without having voted themselves. The lack of participation in itself may be a vote concerning the interest (or lack of such) in the award votes. I'm sorry for all those who did take their time to vote and who were very active about the award voting, but with too little overall participation the vote is lead ad absurdum and we may have to consider discontinuing this tradition based on the participation at the end of the vote (there's still some time to go till tuesday).
Limited participation also cuts down the number of candidates who can be voted for in the appreciated member award (those who voted but received no award).
Sorry if I wasn't clear: that list of suggestions mainly applied to things that could be done to promote next year's Awards (if they happen). I feel it's a little too late to do any of those things for this year's Awards.

As for this year, I personally didn't notice any announcements pertaining to the GOF Awards in the weeks preceding to the actual event (though my GOF attendance for much of that time was admittedly sparse). It wasn't until I checked the Saurus Rock section just now that I noticed this thread for the first time, which I presume is the one you are talking about. I hadn't seen it before, and am kicking myself for not doing so and offering my help :bang (I deeply apologize for that :(). This illustrates what I suspect to be perhaps the main reason the Awards have received so little participation.*

I strongly suspect that the problem has more to do with members not noticing the Awards than not caring about them,* because frankly the Award threads are not all that noticeable. The Saurus Rock section is tucked away in the Fridge, so any Awards-related threads (which ideally should be visible to all members) can only be seen from the main page if the thread in question is the most recently updated thread in the Fridge. Failing that, one would have to enter the Fridge and glance up at the Saurus Rock section to notice the thread, or find it while browsing the "Today's active topics" page (which not everyone does). I know I'm just stating the obvious here, but my point is that for an event which aspires to (more or less) forum-wide participation, the threads that announce the Awards and wherein voting takes place are not optimally visible to forumgoers.

Consider the Star Day section: it only receives the attention it does because members' birthdays are automatically shown in the Board Statistics, so any member who scrolls down while visiting the main page is notified of the event. And there are still members (albeit mostly newer ones) who don't know about the Star Day section (which seems to me to also be less active this year than in previous years). The GOF Awards, by contrast, have no such readily visible notification, and they are updated far less frequently and at much less regular intervals than the collective threads in the Star Day section.

As for my PM suggestion, yes, I agree that might come off as a bit intrusive, though I imagined such notifications as being along the lines of friendly, pressure-free invitations, rather than any kind of request. It's worth noting that some of the newer members may not even know about the Awards, and they may be downright thankful to be notified that that their contributions to the GOF are being noticed and that they have a chance at an award. At any rate, these notifications could simply be limited to the members you mentioned who are leading the votes in their respective categories but have not voted themselves, not every single member who has been nominated but not yet voted, if that's what you thought I meant.

*Iris makes a good point about the decreasing forum post count. So perhaps my theory that the section is not easily noticed is the main reason for the lack of participation is inaccurate. Nonetheless, I think that drawing more attention to the Awards from the main page would improve voting participation.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
A few more random thoughts relating to my earlier posts and other posts above:

I do feel that this threadóan announcement about the Awards in the Announcements sectionóis definitely a step in the right direction as far as making the Awards event visible from the main page.

In regards to leading nominees who have not yet voted: I know that StrutEggStealer at least was interested in voting, but I'm not 100% sure he knows when the voting will end or that the original deadline was extended, so it might not hurt to send him a PM asking whether he still wants to participate. (Having been the one to mention the Awards to him in the first place, I was honestly thinking of mentioning it to him even before this topic came up, but I hesitated because I was concerned about irritating him and/or breaking some kind of rule relating to the Awards. :unsure:)

In regards to the declining activity on the GOF, I don't think that canceling the Awards next year will do any favors for the forum. It might be the case that the Awards are irrelevant to any aspect of forum solidarity (and to be honest I do feel kind of silly making any implication that they are), but they are a more or less forum-wide event, and I like to think that they go some way towards cementing us as a community, and a small part of me worries that if they didn't happen again we would lose that. (Perhaps I'm just a nutcase spouting nonsense, but I speculated that something potentially beneficial might come out of me making my views and hypotheses known.)

Again, I would be willing to pitch in to help with the Awards in any way I can next year, if that would make things easier for those who have to work setting them up.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: Mumbling,Sep 30 2012 on  03:54 AM
You may cast 1 or 2 votes and they will be counted, but you won't be eligible to win one yourself unless you've cast 6 votes.
Oh really?  I didn't know this.  I wonder if anyone else is in the dark about this fact too?  I'm off to vote now. :D

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Sep 30 2012 on  10:17 PM
Quote from: Mumbling,Sep 30 2012 on  03:54 AM
Oh really?  I didn't know this.  I wonder if anyone else is in the dark about this fact too?  I'm off to vote now. :D
I didn't know this either, but I asked Littlefoot1616 to clarify this for me... So I believe I am correct and otherwise I still find it a good thing to be introduced ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One very important clarification which I learned about through a chat.
Every single vote is counted in the awards. If a person for example votes only on one award, the vote is still counted when it is determined who gets the award in the end.
The requirement of skipping no more than two votes total is of significance only when it comes to determining who may receive an award him or herself. Someone who is voted for but who voted only on less than six of the awards total cannot get the award, but the votes of that voter would still be counted.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Sep 30 2012 on  05:51 AM
To be honest, the difference in the amounts of votes compared to the previous years can easily be explained... Look at this:

This is a scheme of the number of posts per month. You can see it has decreased massively compared to the two previous years of voting. I don't think it's a lack of interest in the voting system, but a lack of participation on the GoF in general. Which isn't weird since there are no new LBT updates.
Thanks for showing this to us. It really shows how active GoF has been over the past three years. (Like they say, a picture's worth a thousand words.)

What does surprise me is how little activity there's been in just 2012, compared to previous years. We've had no new LBT news since the studio was closed (back in 2008, I think it was). Why is it only now that we're starting to see less activity? :confused

I don't know if its my imagination, but there seems to be a pattern in activity on a yearly basis. This is probably just wishful thinking, but maybe we could have future award voting take place during peak activity of the year, to help improve voter turnout. I don't think this idea will get anywhere, but I figured I'd at least let people know about it. :unsure:

EDIT: Another fact we should keep in mind is that the first awards were done in 2006, back when not even a hundred members had registered, and only about a dozen of them are still active today. (I checked the members list to see which members had joined before mid 2006.)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls