The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I found an interesting issue with the LBT Songs CD

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The CD I am referring to is this one.

I compared the songs on the CD to the music found on the actual LBT DVDs.  Oddly enough, every song on the CD is pitched about 40 or 50 cents sharp (I know, technical talk.  I'll explain this in a second :p ), with the special edition of "If We Hold On Together" being pitched nearly 1 semitone sharp!

What does this mean?  The songs on the CD are played at a Higher pitch than the songs in the original films.  

When I first listened to this version of IWHoT (sung by Thomas Dekker and Aria Curzon) compared to the Diana Ross version, I noticed it was faster (78 Beats Per Minute, as opposed to the Diana Ross version, which is approximately 69 BPM.  I have special hardware and software to help accurately find the speed of music  :P:).  
After some more analysis, I realized that it is also sung *slightly* higher than the Diana Ross version.  If you play along with it on a piano or keyboard, you find the notes from the original song are out of tune.  For those of you who know the original song, the first 4 notes of the melody of the Diana Ross version are D, D, E, C on the musical scale.  (For Future reference, '#' is a "sharp" (sounding slightly higher) symbol in standard music notation) In this CD version, this same melody conforms more closely with D#, D#, F, C#, transposing each note up one half-tone (from C to C#, for example).

At first I thought nothing of this, figuring this version of the song was simply sung in a different key (pitch transposition) from the original Diana Ross version.  My questions started when I began working on the Peaceful Valley MIDI.

At first, I was working off the version of Peaceful Valley from my CD.  I was tinkering with it, trying to figure out the notes.  After a bit, I decided to switch from the Opening version of the song, to the Complete "End Credits" version of the song, which is Not on my CD.  I ripped the music from the DVD and started working from this.  What happened?  All my work I had done was out of tune!  The original track is slightly lower-pitched than the CD version, just like IWHoT.  I had to transpose my entire midi progress down a half-tone to get it in tune with the original End Credits version!

After this discovery, I started experimenting with the other songs on the CD.  Sure enough, Every other song I tested (When You're Big, You're One of Us Now, Peaceful Valley, IWHoT, Eggs) were off-key in the same matter.

I can't understand why the producers of the CD would do such a thing.  Could it have been a simple recording / mastering error?

It seems to me that it was an error on whoever mastered the recordings to the CD.  I think this because the version of "peaceful Valley" on the CD is EXACTLY the same as the version in the opening of LBT 2 (including Grandpa's voice over, "Littlefoot!  Littlefoot!  It's time to come home!" and the ambient sound effects, like it was torn right out of the original soundtrack of the film).  I compared the CD version to the opening version of the DVD, and sure enough, the CD is pitched slightly higher.

This means that if you ever considered buying this CD for the purpose of learning to play the songs, Don't do that :p It'll be almost impossible, as the songs are all out of tune.  The error is very subtle, but if you try to play an instrument to the music, you willl find some of the songs to be out of tune.  The rest of the songs may *sound* in-tune, but compared to the original music on the DVDs / films, they are pitched higher.

I, for one, am disappointed in the lack of care taken to create this CD.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
can you send me the  "If We Hold On Together" file. Not to brag, but I am good at sound analysis. My uncle checks audio distortion with iTunes and stuff like that.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
If you don't own the CD, a low quality version will have to do. If it won't, then don't worry, be like Manny and buy the CD like he did a few weeks ago! :lol:

I also actually prefer the higher-pitched version of "If We Hold on Together" found on the CD than I do the one found on the VHS sing-along tape. I like stuff like that. B)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if there is a technical reason behind this, or if it's laziness on someone's part.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Surprised I missed this topic when it first was posted....

Wouldn't you agree Ross' version is more of a lyrical ballad, and Curzon's version is more upbeat for the kids?  That would explain the tempo change.  I'm pretty sure its as simple as that.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I"m not a techie, but would the change in tempo account for the changes that action9000 mentioned?

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't think any alterations between the Diana Ross version and the Anndi McAfee/Aria Curzon version should be considered because they may just be the result of "remixing." There's bound to be alterations like tempo changes.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Anyone could easily change the pitch of a song.  Could it have been done intentionally?  Perhaps some sort of way so Universal couldn't sue them or something?  Perhaps some sort of modified copyright protection?  The new blue ray disks have copyright protection by making the sound a little out of pitch so you can find out if the copy is pirated or not (along with an array of encryption algorithms and sophisticated lock out mechanisms that I am unaware of as of yet.  I don't have a blue ray player in my master computer yet.)  :P:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Nov 22 2007 on  10:33 AM
Anyone could easily change the pitch of a song.  Could it have been done intentionally?  Perhaps some sort of way so Universal couldn't sue them or something?
Umm... who was it that Universal could sue? :huh:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Whoever made the CD.  I don't think Universal is involved in this.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Who else did the CD do you think? I looked at my CD, and I only saw copyrights from Universal Studios or Universal Music, which is just a "subdivision," anyway.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh it is?  There's no universal logo on the cover, which is usually where they put their logo on soundtracks....

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, then it is Universals.  It must just be a copyright thing.  I wonder what Action used to rip the songs?  Windows media player might not be able to handle it.  He might have to rip it with some other sort of software like some sort of decrypting software.  I don't know if they started doing this with CD's yet.  I only know of blue rays.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Windows vista has some sort of music copyright thing on it.  Perhaps that's the issue?  I just can't believe that someone could change the pitch of the songs by accident.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I didn't use a Vista computer to rip the tracks, and I don't think that action9000 even has a Vista computer at all.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Making the songs a different pitch...What could be an advantage to it?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Could it be a technician  who did that since they didn't quite like the way the sounds sounded at first?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Nov 22 2007 on  07:54 AM
Wouldn't you agree Ross' version is more of a lyrical ballad, and Curzon's version is more upbeat for the kids?  That would explain the tempo change.  I'm pretty sure its as simple as that.
I'll plagarize myself to make my point clear.  No cd ripper would change the pitch.