The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Great Longneck Migration's 10th anniversary

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
In light of this year being the 10th anniversary of The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration, I feel we should take some time to commemorate it.

But its going to be very embarrassing if someone else has already made such a page... :oops

Anyway, let us discuss it like so:

Favourite parts

- The song, 'Bestest Friends.' Whatever your opinion on including musical tracks within the movies are, this is undeniable one of the better choices. I have yet to meet an LBT fan who doesn't like this. The original clip isn't available on YT, which is a bit annoying,  <_< but hey, who says that won't change?

- The character of Bron. His story may have a few holes, but on the whole (no pun intended) he is a good choice for a character. Littlefoot's father was going to have to be approached at one point, and I also like how Littlefoot's reaction was not cliche and he trusted him immediatley.

- The character of Sue. A minor character, but none-the-less one I took to instantly. Her voice and personality is sorta cute/likeable/etc and she is one of the first non-parent characters to play a sort of guardian role. Not to mention she is one of the only characters (besides Topsy and Tria) to actually have a proper love-story. I like the idea of her being miffed at being tall, as supposed to being small. XD.

- The character of Shorty. Honestly, Shorty is one of my favourite characters in the entire series, on the basis of this one film. I didn't like his personality in the TV series, and having Rhett's voice actress made him irritating...
The possibilities of Shorty's past are a fanfic writer's dream. Why did he lose his family? Why did he take to looking after those Camarasaurus hatchlings? I also like those hintings of lonliness and inferiority complex that has dotted his life up until now. As he said to Littlefoot: 'Now that he (Bron)'s found you, he'll ignore me, just like everybody else.' I swear, I've gotta write a Shorty fanfic one day...or just stop being lazy and read one.

- The battle scene. The battle sequence between the various longnecks and those three sharpteeth on the crater was, I think, the first fast-moving true battle scene since the first movie. Not to mention, it was quite large scale, had some awesome music in the background. It was generally just awesome. My other favourite battle scenes include the one between the original sharptooth and Littlefoot's mother (you can't beat the classics) and the one in the fifth movie, simply because it was sharptooth vs. sharptooth.

- The Sarcosuchus. I don't think I need to say more...

Least favourite parts

- The song, 'Me and My Dad.' I don't know why...it just irks me somewhat. Maybe it seemed to me Littlefoot had developed an arrogant streak. That was certainly my first impression when I watched it, but perhaps I just don't like the tune...I dunno!!!!!!!

- How they treated the sharpteeth. Bron calling sharpteeth 'cowards' is still one issue I have with his character. Whether that's me just being over-protective of the sharptooth cause or not, it certainly seemed to me that there was something darker in the character of Bron at that moment. In any case, Littlefoot should have corrected him! He has seen first-hand that sharpteeth are indeed sentient like other dinosaurs and can even form loving families. This also brings me to my annoyance with the fact that Chomper wasn't mentioned at all in the films he did not appear in...

- Longneck centralism. For a series that is supposed to discourage racism, they made longnecks seem quite like royalty in this film, saving the world, battling sharpteeth etc...just a thought, but still...

- No Doc or Ali. A mass gathering of longnecks for some noble cause? Why wasn't Doc, the fabled hero longneck, there???????? Was it really too much of a social gathering for to show up? And if he had battled the sharpteeth too, we could have seen the Lone Dinosaur in his proper action. And Ali - her return would have marked quite a good subplot in my opinion, especially if she were to interact with Littlefoot and Shorty in a way that would further develop Shorty's character. Maybe I should write that someday...

When I first watched it

I first watched this film, like I first LBT in general, on the wonderful British Cartoon Network partner Boomerang. Back in the day, they had these Land Before Time marathons, where they showed all the LBT films that had to been made at that point on TV, back-to-back.  :D I will admit, I got a bit lost after watching the first four, but when I saw a TV trailer (for it being shown on Boomerang, as supposed to the DVD) for LBT X, I thought, 'Why not?' I was sceptical at first about the character of Littlefoot's father - I mean, where had he been all this time??? But I grew to like the film, and I have re-watched it many times.

Over to you now - set out your memories and thoughts of this film the way I have. I look forward to seeing them!
- Toby.  :wave

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yep, I agree with you in most points Dosu :)
ehm.. If I'm not mistaken you forgot this old longneck( I don't remember the name of him  :bang ) who travels with Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike. Sarcosuchus is the crocodil that Sue tread on I guess?
I'm too very disappointed that especially Ali doesn't appears in the movie  :anger
I would be very happy, if someone writes a ff about that( ideas,which I have about that: The story may be told from Shorty's view( so we may know more about his past, what you've already mentioned :)) or from the view of Littlefoot, Ali, AND Shorty and they finally meet at this place and ALI will be there too! The 3 lockneck and the gang travel back to the Great Valley together.  Shorty and Littlefoot may both fell in love in Ali( in a childish way ;) ) and so they have a lot of arguments and fights, but Ali likes both the same. The other members of the gang may find new friends, too .... just a few ideas :) )
You made me very interested into this topic, Dosu  :yes Thanks :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
You're welcome. Yes, I didn't mention the old longneck (Pat) as he didn't fit into either category of liking or disliking, for me anyway.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
ah, ok,
Pat would be a positive point in my list because he protected the kids and he's an interesting character

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I liked Pat and Sue as well.  

The movie I see as mixed, I like certain scenes and certain scenes I don't.  Overall I think the plot doesn't really make sense and the sudden introduction of Littlefoot's dad I have problems with.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Personally I always had a very negative view on the 10th movie. There was a very thorough discussion on the movie and about Bron in particular in this thread.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Hmm... I did say that this was one of my favourite sequels, but now I'm not so sure. I look into this one a bit more than the others, possibly since it involves a little more of Littlefoot's direct family...
I agree, Dosu, I hated the song "Me and my dad". It seemed unnaturally high pitched for Littlefoot's voice. :lol

I also felt like some parts of the plot seemed a bit rushed. I felt like Bron should've had at least a little bit more interaction with Littlefoots's grandparents. The only times he speaks to Grandpa is when they first see each other and when they agree to let Littlefoot go with him, and he doesn't talk to Grandma at all (trust me to say this. XD). It makes it feel like he just saw them again, and then the next minute he's taking Littlefoot away from them. That was one of the things I didn't like about the film.
Another thing is that I don't think Littlefoot got time to fully explain the situation to his friends when they arrived, as they came rushing in during a sharptooth attack and then there was a solar eclipse and then Littlefoot somehow managed to say that he didn't know whether to leave with his dad or stay with his grandparents, but they didn't show the others meeting Bron or Littlefoot explaining anything that had happened, and it all just seemed to go a bit quickly. The way they reacted to it just seemed like a little bit less then what I expected, too. They seemed to just be able to let him go, even though he had barely explained onscreen what was going on exactly. I expect many people don't want their friends to leave, and especially not young kids. I would've at least expected a few tears to be shed and some reluctance, even for a kid's film.

I also agree with there being no Doc or Ali. It was a little disapointing, but I think the producers wanted it to be centred around Littlefoot and Bron, and having those two around would distract that.

One more issue I have with this film is the Sharptooth battle scene. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some parts of it, but the Sharpteeth here were just ridiculous! Compared to the first movie, this was just pretty awful. Being tripped over by a young threehorn and longneck, then falling all the way down a hill. Come on... The Sarcosuchus, on the other hand, was much better, I think. That guy actually seemed to be threatening.

The final thing that irked me was Littlefoot's voice. It was okay for the most part, but it always annoyed me when he did that yawn!

I don't want to completely bash it, although I think I've already done that, since there are some good points about the film. I loved Sue, and I was glad to see that she wasn't completely forgotten after the first meeting and got a boyfriend. :lol
Pat was also an interesting character, and I did like him, protecting the other kids and helping them get to Littlefoot.

I might have bashed him already, but in all honestly I thought Bron was pretty good as a character, despite the holes in his story, and I also loved Shorty! I loved how he went from being a bully to Littlefoot, to feeling somewhat rejected by Bron and feeling jealousy towards Littlefoot, and then him and Littlefoot making up and becoming brothers.

The other two songs are pretty good too. I found "Adventuring" pretty catchy, and now I have to sing it at least in my head before I go somewhere on an adventure. "Bestest Friends" was a bit of a tear-jerker moment for me, since it reminds me of my own friends and that in a few years we will all be parting ways. :cry

All in all, it's not a terrible movie, though there are a few things that bother me. There were a fair few mistakes with the colouring and animation, but they don't bother me too much. It has it's bad points and good points, and I probably would've enjoyed it more if it had explained things a bit more, which probably would've made the movie a fair bit longer, but eh. I know that LBT movies are fairly short, and I feel like the whole thing was just crammed in. I really enjoyed this movie as a kid, but now that I've watched it a few times over again, I can clearly see the cons of the film. As I said, it's not terrible, and it certainly isn't the worst of the sequels. All in all, I have mixed feelings about this one.

Pfft sorry about this being so long, but it's just all of my thoughts about it. And I can't believe it's already been 10 years. Time flies, doesn't it?  :DD

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: somerandomfangirl,Feb 14 2013 on  04:23 PM

Pfft sorry about this being so long, but it's just all of my thoughts about it. And I can't believe it's already been 10 years. Time flies, doesn't it?  :DD
:D Long posts are good because one can reply to it very well :p

Yep! Time really flies very fast, 10 yrs ago I wasn't even in school :D

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I suppose so. :)

Haha, same here. I probably don't really remember much from 10 years ago!  :lol

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
When I first saw this movie back in 2003 I was 18 years old. And when I first saw it it was okay I was still kinda young and I hated it. But then I kept watching it and I grew to like it a lot. I love the relationship with Shorty and Little Foot. The story about Bron that he told Little Foot why he left at first kind of made me angry saying what a horrible farther but than I was like I can see why he did that. He was trying to find a safer land to raise Little Foot. And Shorty at a time was a character I hated but I grew to like because he was abandoned and I knew how he felt. And He now is one of my favorite characters. So I give the movie a 8/10 on a scale 1-10. It's one of my favorite sequels ever. The song was amazing and sad as well. Sutherland did amazing job voicing Bron I like it a lot.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
All very interesting points made...

About the points you made concerning the sharpteeth, somerandomfangirl, I do agree partially, but you have to remember that them falling down the hill the way they did didn't kill them. Not like the dear departed sharpteeth from the sixth movie...

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
True, I guess. I suppose I was a little harsh with the sharpteeth here; one did get pushed off a cliff by Grandma, after all, and it still got up. I think I was just comparing them too much to the first one.  

I get where you're coming from. I just don't see how Cera ramming into the sharptooth in this one made it trip over so easily, but again, I'm thinking about the Allosaurus from 6, which wasn't affected at all by Cera running into it. But, wasn't that one stuck in a tree anyway? XD

Overall, I did enjoy the sharptooth battle, but I thought the sharpteeth here were just portrayed badly. The Sarcosuchus was much better, as I've already said. Since ten, I feel it has gotten worse with sharpteeth, so much that there hasn't been much need for the adults to make them back off, which I don't really like, since I enjoy grown-ups vs. sharpteeth battles.  :lol:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The part about Shorty tripping a sharptooth by crawling under its foot was rather stupid though. I wish they hadn't so much taken to make the sharpteeth utterly harmless in the later movies. I don't think any sharptooth since the one from the 9th movie has lived up to being... well a sharptooth.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, time really flies!

What we're really going to be focused on this year is the 25th anniversary of the original 1988 movie, of course, but this is also something to look forward to. I'm really seeing the sequels for their flaws now, and have no plan to watch them anytime in the near future, but it's great to celebrate their 10th anniversaries. I remember back in 2010 Jared, I think, brought up the fact that it was movie 7's 10th anniversary, and last year I made a topic celebrating Movie 9.

Next year, though, is gonna be the first 20th anniversary for a sequel!   ;)

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm starting to see the movies fro their flaws, but I still think 1 is brilliant and everything up to movie 9 I love for nostalgic purposes (although I commonly think of 2-5 as "the big 4", seeing as they are the 4 best sequels).

10-13 aren't my favorite, but 10 is probably the best of the last 4 sequels...maybe 13 cause it had a lot of Petrie, my favorite member of the gang, in it, and Guido, whom I love.

- The character of Bron. His story may have a few holes, but on the whole (no pun intended) he is a good choice for a character. Littlefoot's father was going to have to be approached at one point, and I also like how Littlefoot's reaction was not cliche and he trusted him immediatley.

Aside from Malte, who I know hates this one---and he or she has every right to  ;) ---a lot of people here seem to really be forgiving of Bron, even though he abandoned his wife, who was, as MarzGurl pointed out, either pregnant or planning on being pregnant.

Was the earthquake Bron was trapped by the one from movie 1, BTW? Because if it was, he was gone for quite a bit....Littlefoot was about 6 by then (in longneck time  ;) ).

If it was another earthquake, I can see how he would have eben searching for a long time. He likely knew of his wife's plan to go to the great valley and should have gone there.

OK I'm getting off topic but I just thought I'd point out some things., since I recently watched MarzGurl's review and love the points she made.