The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Nintendo Switch is Coming!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Nintendo NX is now The Nintendo Switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

I must admit, the idea of going from console to handheld and back is a very neat idea.  I will admit that I am a handheld fan.  I have in the last 5 years, found myself playing console games less and less.  However, my handheld library has vastly increased and I find myself playing on my 3DS a lot more.  Heck, I even found myself downloading a demo for the first time two days ago and wouldn't you know it, it was for the 3DS.

From what I can tell, it's also looking to be backwards compatible with the Wii U library. (You can't help but see Mariokart 8 and Splatoon on there.) Not surprising since Nintendo did that for the last two consoles and had been doing such for handhelds since the Gameboy Color days.  I'm glad for this.  There's a whole list of Wii U games I have that are just collecting dust.  This will definitely solve my little problem of not playing those games like I should.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to this.  For me, March 2017 can't come soon enough.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I have heard that Nintendo will be using cartridges for this system. Considering the advantages of a cartridge, I do see this as a pretty smart move on their part. I have nothing against CD based games of course, but the advantages of cartridges just outweigh those provided by discs. Namely:

-Instant load time, no waiting
-Can be modified with additional features
-Are more resistant to damage
-Last longer
-Requires less space to function

The thing that I hope they address with this console is making it easier for people to back up their data. This was a complaint that a friend of mine had about the Wii U. The way that it is now, user data is tied with the system, meaning that trying to save your data is very limiting and sometimes impossible. Like... she and her family use the same Wii U and she is not able to take just her data and get her own Wii U; she can only do a full transfer that takes everybody's info onto a new console. So someone would need to start over from scratch just for that. So that's quite a hassle.

Another example: A friend of mine bought a new Wii and he tried to load his games that were stored on the SD card onto the new system. No dice. Despite the fact that he had already paid for these games, Nintendo still wanted him to pay full price for all those games again just so he can play them on the new system. He was understandably outraged.

So yeah, I do hope that his is addressed. These issues are not that prevelant on the X-Box or Playstation. At least from what I heard and experienced (at least with Playstation). So hopefully Nintendo will address this and make it easier for people to back up their data to avoid issues like "having to pay full price for a game a second time even if you already legally own the copy".

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It's nice to see them bringing back the classic in today's high tech era of video gaming. And If I have enough cash I might get one.