The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why Littlefoot is a good leader

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
A big part of my Creative Writing class is character analysis, or the breaking down and evaluating of a characters personality, motives, and actions. In the Land Before Time, one thing I've always wondered is: what makes Littlefoot the natural leader of the group? Why was he the best choice to lead the others on their journey to the Great Valley? Why not Cera, the most capable and confidant? Or Petrie, who has the best physical attributes for surveillance and exploration (i.e. his ability to fly)? Or Ducky, who's the nicest and most trusing, and therefore the best at keeping dusputes from arousing? Or Spike, who. . . er . . . all right, I guess we can agree that Spike would not be a likely candidate for leader. But what about the others? What does Littlefoot have that they don't?

To solve this question, I am going to give an alternate example. Namely, the Big Three of Star Trek: Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (a bit off-topic, I know, but necessary to get my point across).

Part of the reason this triumvirate works so well is because of the polar opposites of the two side characters. Spock, the Vulcan, is completely logical, exhibiting no emotion whatsoever; McCoy, the doctor, is overly emotional, rarely basing desicions on facts. This is why neither would make a good captain. The reason Kirk is the best captain is because he is able to use both the logic and the emotion supplied by his two officers, and find the happy median that highlights the best move to make. Note that Kirk is by himself incapable of seeing both sides of the spectrum: alone, he could never fully separate emotion from logic, or visa versa.

This is exactly why Littlefoot, like Kirk, is a natural leader; namely, that he can take the varying sides and opinions of those around him, and find the point where, together, they equal the best move to make.

The Land Before Time movie had it's own Big Three, composed of the first three characters to join the group: Littlefoot, Ducky, and Cera. Cera is distrusting, overconfidant, impulsive, and cares only for herself; Ducky is overly trusting, not very confidant, rarely acts of her own accord, but cares about all those around her. Both have good qualities and bad qualities, but not the perfect mix for leadership. Littlefoot has to take Cera's skepticality and hastiness to act, along with Ducky's kindness and cautiousness, and make use of both.

This is why I think Littlefoot is the best leader of the five.

Tobe

• Chomper
    • View Profile

Your logic is sound though.  The "holy trinity" is in everything from books to video games.  

A leader is the middle ground of everything.  That way they can appeal to the whole group.  Leaders have to have the ability to blend in with everyone, be empathic but be able to control it.

Basically the leader has to be a politician.  Not voice their opinion, voice what everyone wants to hear and use that push them toward what the politician believes is the correct answer.  

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's very common to have the main 3.  It makes it easy to make characters.  Just make 1, make another with some or a lot of opposite traits and the third with a blending of the two.  Also often when one of the polar opposites isn't present some, or many, writers will have the middle character act more like the missing character.

Also some of what makes Littlefoot a good leader may be stuff we have not seen as it happened offscreen.  If his mother was a good leader before she died he'd have some experience of what a good leader is, which we didn't see much of in her short screen time.  Also likely since his grandfather is a story speaker, off screen he likely heard many stories that could have inspired him and he would have more examples of.  Also in the great valley he has his grandparents as examples who let him ask questions and will explain things to him, instead of telling him some version of shut up and just obey me.

Though off topic one version of the trinity I thought that was somewhat original is in the old book series the 3 investigators.  In this one the middle ground character, who is the leader in every other case I've seen or read, is not the leader, it was one of the polar opposites who was the team leader.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yeah, I remember reading the Three Investigators. It was a long time ago though, but you're right, they do show the same characteristics.

BTW, Tobe, that Kirk pic is awesome.  :lol

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
This is exactly why Littlefoot, like Kirk, is a natural leader; namely, that he can take the varying sides and opinions of those around him, and find the point where, together, they equal the best move to make.
Can you give an example for this in the land before time?
To me it seems more like most of the time Littlefoot is making the others follow him without really adopting their opinions but rather making them feel that his opinion is theirs. For example in LBT 3 when he leads them to follow Hyp and the others.
In LBT 6 for once it does not work out. Littlefoot fails to inspire the same enthusiasm that he feels for Doc and the legend of the lone dinosaur. As a consequence he has to set out on his own and the others follow not really because he convinced them but because they want to save Littlefoot's long neck.
In LBT 7 Littlefoot is providing the points in favor of following Pterano (or Ducky more to the point), but it is Spike who ends the debate. His drawing seems to have had some inspiring effect on wavering Cera and Petrie.
In LBT 9 Littlefoot doesn't give Cera the chance to voice any objections to his plan of bringing Mo back to the Big Water and then return to the Valley:
Cera: "Well..."
Littlefoot: "Great!"
In LBT 2 Cera was the initial decision maker when it comes to following the eggeaters. It was Littlefoot though who pursued the course Cera had set. Later on we have a case of Littlefoot just doing what he feels is right thereby indirectly forcing the others to follow even though they don't really want to.
Littlefoot: "Nobody is making you come Cera!"
Finally his leadership in the original movie is primarily based on the fact that he was given the description of the way to the Great Valley and the others were following him while this was the best chance they had.

I don't really see a case where Littlefoot really combines the opinions of others. On the contrary he often seems to be just as stubborn as Cera with the only difference that he brings his stubbornness across in a more "political" manner. Finally, I wonder to which degree Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike would actually agree on the notion of Littlefoot as their "leader". I guess they might be rather surprised at this point of view (outraged in case of Cera) and would consider Littlefoot a friend rather than a leader (two points which need not exclude each other, but I doubt the others would consider themselves on a widely different eye-level when talking to Littlefoot).

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Finally, Malte's arrived  :^.^: To be honest, you were the user I was waiting for, since you always instigate such great discussions.

I'll need to rewatch the first movie before I can find specific examples, and the reason I put it under the "1988 Theatrical Release" heading was becasue I was talking only about this specific movie. From 2-13 onward, the writers changed a lot of things.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Sorry about the wait.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And I am happy that you are starting such an interesting discussion LBT :yes
I'm really looking forward to it.
Finally, Malte's arrived happy.gif To be honest, you were the user I was waiting for, since you always instigate such great discussions.
I feel honestly flattered in the most positive sense of the word ;)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I see that your logic is the most sound I have seen in a while. Excluding my own ( ;)  ;) )

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Well, I still haven't gotten around to seeing the 1st film (college workload is catching up to me since I started donating my free time to the GOF) but until then I just want to make one more comment.

I wonder to which degree Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike would actually agree on the notion of Littlefoot as their "leader". I guess they might be rather surprised at this point of view (outraged in case of Cera) and would consider Littlefoot a friend rather than a leader (two points which need not exclude each other, but I doubt the others would consider themselves on a widely different eye-level when talking to Littlefoot).

This statement actually reinforces my thesis. In a situation where your fellow group members don't feel like or want to be led by anyone, a true leader has to be able to put his hubris aside and act as more of a 'hidden' leader, as in, be a leader that leads, but without the others really knowing it. If Littlefoot had just stepped up and said, "Well, we should do this because I'm the leader and I said so," the others (probably starting with Cera, like you said) would quickly mutiny. By not calling attention to the fact that he was calling all the shots, and just silently allowing the others to subconsciously fall in line behind him (which most individuals will do due to the Follower Effect), Littlefoot was able to lead his friends and still decide the right courses of action without inflaming an already tenuous situation.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Well, there are a few factors to consider here on Littlefoot being the leader. Well said, by the way, Lettuce. As for Malte's points. No leader is in charge all the time. Just like Littlefoot. There will be times when there doesn't seem to be any other good options than what someone else says, and you'll go along with it for better or worse, even if you are the leader (LBT2, following the eggeaters). so no one is leader 100% of the time, even when they should have been.

Case in point about Littlefoot not looking at everyone's views and leading that way, and instead, going off on his own, sometimes. Littlefoot, like all young individuals, has a long ways to go in terms of learning how to lead, but in the end, I still think he's a natural born leader, if only of that particular circle of friends. He's just unspoken about it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You are certainly right that a good leader would probably make his followers feel not like followers but like people acting on their own will and accord. One thing I must make clear is that I don't think of Littlefoot as a "bad" leader (though I may not like the term "leader" in general as it often indicates a hierarchical structure which can in some cases be abused). In any case I would not go so far as to call Littlefoot a natural born leader (though I think similar descriptions can be found in official sources).
In many cases Littlefoot is coming up with good plans or ideas and therefore it is kind of easy to "follow" him. If a good suggestion is being made it is relatively easy to make others act on it if the others too agree that it is a good idea to pursue that plan or idea. I guess leadership is displayed in particular if people are convinced of a course of action although there are alternatives which they might prefer. There are many such cases throughout LBT.
In LBT 2 Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike are following Littlefoot looking for Chomper although they don't really want to. They don't really trust Chomper, they are hungry, they are tired, and Cera may be suffering from an aching bite in her tail. Littlefoot just goes on and does what he thinks is right, that is he tries to protect Chomper from any harm. Cera's protests are answered with a simple "No one is making you come!" and before Ducky's and Petrie's protests (they're hungry) can be responded to and before we see what effect Cera's suggestion ("Let's go home!") has on Ducky, Petrie, and Spike, Littlefoot spots Chomper thereby changing the status quo in such a manner as to make the others follow him. But is this really leadership on Littlefoot's part? Would the others have gone on if Chomper hadn't been spotted so conveniently?
Later on in the same movie Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike don't follow Littlefoot. When he is rushing to the aid of his grandpa they stay behind and reappear only when Littlefoot is already being pursued by a Sharptooth whom he and Chomper had tripped while common sense might have told them to hide (what advantage did they gain from tripping the Sharptooth?).
When after the defeat of Chomper's parents Littlefoot realizes Chomper is not around anymore he sets out on his own once again. It seems like their parents order had a greater power over them (even in the absence of their parents) than Littlefoot's setting out on his own.
In the same movie Littlefoot is sort of "overruled" by Cera on two occasions (that is Ducky, Petrie and Spike, and consequently Littlefoot) follow Cera's suggestion rather than Littlefoot's opposition. The first case is Cera's plan to cross the sinking sands and the second case is when she suggests to chase the eggeaters rather than telling the grownups about them. In both cases Littlefoot allows himself to be led by Cera (though he takes the helm during the pursuit of the eggeaters the initial idea was not his). Of course in both cases the group might have been better of if they had followed Littlefoot, but this says more about Littlefoot's sensibility rather than his leadership qualities.
In LBT 3 we have a case in which I think Littlefoot does display some good leadership by convincing the others to follow the bullies. Once again he gives that "You guys do what you want!" Statement, but following the song "Kids like us" I really think they were doing what they wanted. They did not follow Littlefoot just to protect him from harm. He led both by conviction and example in this case.
LBT 4 is not as explicit in statements about Littlefoot's leadership qualities. We have Spike making an important decision for Ducky and Petrie (to trust Ali) and we have Cera following them as well after all. Yet I suppose Cera's following them was more out of concern for the safety of Littlefoot and the others than for any leadership question.
LBT 5 gives many interesting examples again. Littlefoot comes up with the good idea of keeping the herd together by leaving it (sounds like a paradox ;)) and leaving good tracks behind. We hear Littlefoot laying out to Cera why they had to "walk like this" but I am not convinced of this explanation being an example of leadership as it was probable meant to be for the audience rather than for Cera. After Ducky and Petrie find themselves in a big sharptooth track we have Cera trying to calm them in her over-self-confident manner. Ducky means to leave (not wanting to be food) and Littlefoot tries to convince her to stay. But just like in case of LBT 2 the discovery of the Big Water comes in very conveniently. We never learn whether or not Littlefoot would have managed to keep Ducky on the track.
Later on in the story the main question is whether or not to trust Chomper. Once again we never learn how this matter would have been settled had it not been for the attack of the sharptooth, Chomper's display of heroism and the "pacification" of his parents. Ducky, Petrie, and Spike seemed to share Cera's misgivings about Chomper but Littlefoot never ever showed any sign that at least he understood where their worries were coming from. He who understood why Petrie would be afraid to fly above the big water seemed to have absolutely no understanding for the fears of his friends about Chomper. What would have happened upon Littlefoot's return to "stinky place" had he not had the sharptooth on his heels? Look at the scene. Littlefoot returns worried about his last treestar, but Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike come to meet him. I don't want to over-interpret the scene, but they really look like they meant to have a serious word with Littlefoot. Once again disaster strikes conveniently.
In LBT 6 Littlefoot gives a rather poor show as a leader. Perfectly incapable of understanding that the others may not be as taken with Doc or the lone dinosaur legend as he is he just sets out "on his own". The others come to the rescue ("don't we always?") but again more for their concern about Littlefoot than for any other reason. Ducky too shows some initiative in this movie. She is the first to hop over the rocky pillars (which corresponds rather strangely with her later display of panic at the idea of walking across the canyon over the log).

These are just some examples, but I guess they are something to begin with before we go on to the other sequels.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Bump. Sorry, but I think this was a fascinating topic and I'd love for the newer users to see this topic.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, I saw this topic a while ago and I wasn't sure whether to bump it or not...
Anyway, my thoughts:
I think overall Littlefoot is a good leader. I will show this statement is right by looking into the first movie:
First there was the meeting with Ducky. After Ducky let Littlefoot forget his depression just with her cheerful way and her overall friendliness and welcoming nature Littlefoot allowed her to join him and told her important things 'you have to keep up'.
When they met Petrie Littlefoot allowed him to join them (off-screen I think?)
When they met the dimetrodon Littlefoot told Ducky who was humming to be quiet and to stay low.
I don't know whether the fact that he didn't believe Cera that Sharptooth is still alive is a pro or a con... On the one hand it is plain logical to consider the Sharptooth dead since the drop must have been deadly... He fell something like... 100 metres? 300 feet? But on the other hand a leader should always think of the worst case... Can't decide on that.
Then he called for Ducky after Cera catapulted her through the air.
He used his sences to find the oasis (I smell...water, I smell... GREENFOOD!) and he realised the danger when the earth began to shake (due to the Longneck herd).
In contrary to Cera he managed to get food and he chose a better sleeping place than Cera imo. The Sharptooth footmark was better sheltered than Cera's rock or whatever she chose to lie on.
Then there is a difficult scene: Littlefoot pushes his friends until they were exhausted but he kept yelling at them to go further. Although he pushed them he did the right thing imo. The fight between Cera and him was another big pluspoint because Littlefoots first intention was to keep the group together and to prevent Cera from going the wrong way. But Cera's provocation was pretty mean and inappropriate so that I don't see Littlefoot as the one that started the fight. However, a leader shouldn't fight against the members of his group except it's necessary e.g. self-defence, one can fairly say Littlefoot attacked Cera to defend his dead mother and his own dignity.
(from now on I refer to the 'original plotline' --> uncutted version of the movie)
I think going the right way was the right decision. Littlefoot tried everything to convince his friends to follow him instead of Cera but they still wanted to follow Cera though it was the wrong way. But how do they know? Well, after all Littlefoot's way was always the right one until that point so why shouldn't his way be right this time, too? Ducky, Petrie and Spike followed Cera because they were too lazy to climb the rocks.
Littlefoot however found the Great Valley while Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike were stuck in the mountains that burn. Littlefoot did something only a real leader would do: He returned and saved them from certain death. He risked his life to rescue them.
The next scene is a controversial one, too. Littlefoot had a plan: Killing The Sharptooth. He gave everyone a suitable task. However, using Ducky as bait for the Sharptooth wasn't really that smart. He was lucky that Ducky hasn't been caught in the first place. But they made it thanks to Cera's unexpected return.
Then he lead them to the Great Valley and everything was fine. THE END :lol

All in all I consider Littlefoot a good leader although he still has to learn a lot. At least he is the best leader of the Gang of Five. I don't think I have to retell the reasons since they can be found in some of the older posts (I think).

Yeah, that's my point of view....
Inactive, probably forever.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't have near as much to add, but I think that the main reason Littlefoot is the leader is because he is able to keep everyone together to work towards a goal. He is the most level headed of the group, and was the only one who knew that traveling together was the only way to make it to the Great Valley alive.

So maybe Littlefoot could recognize the strengths and weaknesses the others had, and knew that if they could work together they could survive.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Littlefoot is persistent, sensible and concerned about others. He's an independent person, has common sense, is a good friend and a concerned citizen (I would have said inhabitant of the Great Valley, but I feel the word "citizen" is a much better fit, because it implies morale and duty). But not a leader by his own will.  Because of his character traits it is all to easy for leadership to be thrown in his arms by the people surrounding him and the situations he finds himself in. It is as if the LBT cosmos conspires to use him as a leader, and that the actual LBT characters have little say in it or little awareness of it all.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Haha, I was like 15 when I wrote this. I'm not too sure I agree with my old self. Sure he does an okay job, but its the okay job any child leader of other children does; he still behaves overly emotionally and most of his decisions involve "we gotta do it because my mom said too." Back then I had a tendency to let a thread die if someone thoroughly defeated me with their logic, and from the looks of it that's what Malte did to me here.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ducky123, that is an excellent post.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I couldn't have said it better myself. And he is tough and he is not a quitter at all. And he is determend to accomplish his task.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
There have been really good points made in this topic, and it is definitely a good debate to have. While I may not add too much, here are my two cents.

Littlefoot certainly displays the traits of a good leader, but he is still a kid. He makes mistakes; he lets his emotions cloud his judgment; he sometimes doesn't take responsibility for his actions whether accidental or not. It is admirable that he wants to assert himself as the leader, more than likely to emulate what he thinks Grandpa Longneck is to the herd, but at his age he hasn't had that much experience leading a group.

Now one could say that the entirety of the first movie is experience enough, after all he did lead them to the Great Valley in the end. It can also be said that even though he almost failed in keeping the group together, it was from this low point that the group was able to become closer and stronger than ever. Having said that, we really don't get much evidence from the sequels that he's learned anything from his experience finding the Great Valley. He still makes the same mistakes as he did in the first movie, because he is still just a kid.

So in my rambling, if I haven't come to a point yet, I really feel that there isn't a true leader in the sense of the word. The gang kind of jumbles back and forth with the leadership roles, and they really have formed their own mini herd.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I agree with LBTFan13's post.  While Littlefoot is not a bad leader, he's still a kid and has a long way to go.  The same can be said about the others.  I'm sure that, when they're all grown up, they will all make good leaders within their families and herds :yes.

Littlefoot doesn't seem to be the kind of leader who goes with his own ideas most of the time.  He relies on his friends for advice, because while he may have common sense, the others use theirs when he may not be using his.  He can be idealistic at times and just want to go into something blindly without thinking about any consequences.  It is usually Cera who speaks up, because her character seems to be more like a realist who says what everybody else may be thinking.  This brings attention to Littlefoot's ideas that he may not have thought about otherwise.