The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How did the LBT dinosaurs choose mates?

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Maybe they found each other and became friends. Or, maybe it was love at first sight or they are like animals with different ways of getting a mate. Maybe they fought or made prettynests or brought presents like food?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It may be a mix of those things.  In lbt it is likely as varied as how humans find mates in this world.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ That would have been pretty much my response Kor if I had been here in time to make it :lol
Still there may be some general differences in the nature of family life depending on the species.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
And location could also play a factor. For example, in the Great Valley, I think they may be more lax in choosing mates, while out in the Mysterious Beyond they're probably more pickey and look for mates that will be able to protect and provide for them.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
Agreed. I have suggested (in another thread) that herding dinosaurs would have an alpha male who would be the strongest in the herd. In addition to leading and protecting the herd, he would also be the one who would either be the only one allowed to mate or would be in the position of having "first choice." Of course, this is only conjecture on my part...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The way the character relations are in LBT have just the right field set for inter-species mating.  Think about it.  Why don't animals in the wild breed with another species?  Because they're mostly isolated.  The only animals that really have a symbiotic relationship are ones that could NEVER mate with one another such as flies and elephants.  When animals form a symbiotic relationship with one another and they are very similar because of in-breeding, they form a new species.  One example of this would be two species of African birds.  They mated with another bird species because they needed each other for survival and together they created an entirely new species.  I can see this happening in the great valley.  Not a new species....at least not for a few million years but that doesn't mean that the dinosaurs wouldn't be mating even though no children could be born.  Records indicate that the two species of African birds were mating hundreds of years before they could actually conceive a child.  Perhaps longer.  These series of failed matings makes the population dwindle on both sides, making a dramatic schism making only the most compatible members of the species survive and reproduce with their own species to create offspring that were more genetically compatible with the other species.  I can see this begin to happen in the great valley, so this dramatically changes how the dinosaurs choose their mates.  A child might not be conceived until a couple million years have passed, but that doesn't mean that dinosaurs of different species couldn't begin to mate now.  When a symbiotic relationship happens between two or more species that share the relatively the same size and are actually......physically capable, they eventually begin to inter-breed, causing the development of a new species over a few million years.  Who knows?  It might start now, or in a few Milena.  Who's to say?  Just something to think about.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
... I thought that my comments on alpha male polygamy were off-center, but cross-species... well, that isn't appropriate for a children's show...

As for following up on my comments, I suppose it would also be inappropriate to show Bron with more than one female in his herd... but if it were to be shown, it should be handled simply by showing him asleep with several female around him (shown to be female earlier in the day and differentiated by color and smaller size.)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There are plenty of kid shows where different species fall in love.  It's not that surprising. :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can see it happening between 2 sentients who are of different species.  Most folks forget that humans are of the same species.  But what if each variety of humans were of a different sentient species.  Some would still form couples and be mates even if kids could not be produced since some may fall in love with each other.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We all know that the different races were formed from isolation.  If the races had been isolated for an even longer period of time, we would have formed what could be considered as different species.  Take Chinese/Japanese people for example.  If it had some sort of advantage to have more oval shaped eyes then over the course of a few hundred thousand years they might have developed eyes that were almost shut and stretched almost from one ear to the other.  That could develop even more to add more skin to the side of the head.  This would make them look VERY different from the rest of the world and they would have probably been considered a different species.  African Americans were once considered to be not human to the early settlers that came to America (and sadly they weren't treated as humans either).  Why?  Well because their skin color was so DRAMATICALLY different than the settlers that they weren't considered human.  The same would have happened to Chinese/Japanese people if the radical adaption that I described above had taken place.  Eventually with enough isolation, you don't just look like another species, you BECOME another species, one that is no longer genetically compatible with the species that you originated from.  If the human race actually invented transporter technology like you see on Star Trek, there would be no more Germans, Chinese, Spanish, African American, or any other races.  We would all mix and look pretty much the same over the course of a few thousand generations.  Just as we can all become one species, one species can become many different kinds.  Did you know that the blue whale and the gray wolf were once the same species?  There was a news report a while back about a tiger and a mountain cat mating and actually having an offspring.  It didn't live very long, but if you put a bunch of mountain cats and tigers on an island and waited a few million years, you would come back and see that there was neither of them living there anymore.  Instead, there would be an entirely new kind of dangerous feline that you've never seen before.  It wouldn't look much different from either of them but it would have a different genetic makeup and would be totally different in personality, adaptions, and traits.  I can totally see this happening in the Great Valley.  It would probably happen in LBT 1,520,402,349,104 but it will still probably happen one day.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I can see it happening between 2 sentients who are of different species.

Yeah, though I imagine it might be rare. I doubt that the parents would be very encouraging about it and then some might not go through with it, because then they wouldn't get the oppurtunity to be parents.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, most others would be against it and others may accept that they love each other dearly but they'd want mates of their own kind to have kids so it would instead turn into a very deep & caring friendship or closer then mere friends but not mates.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
We are getting very much into detail here, more so than will ever be the case in the movies. However, inter-species sexual intercourse is not unheard of among animals. Mooses and horses, lions and tigers, horses and donkeys have been observed mating (in case of the last two the rusult is a mule) and I think there are other cases, but I did not read much about it. Many of you will know that sometimes dogs will try to [insert proper term here] human legs.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not to mention that some of the stories where two completely different species get together, they end up having kids that are of the species of either parent.  This has been common place for MANY years.  I'm sure you can pick up a number of stories and find such a thing happening.

As for it happening in real life, I have heard of the Horse + Donkey = Mule and the Tiger + Lion = Ligar ones. (I've seen the display of what one looks like at my local Zoo.  No stripes like a tiger, but definitely holds the build of one, despite having the looks of a lion.)

What will happen if the writers do it for LBT? Who knows? :)

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Though stories like that aren't very scientifically accurate.

Well, I suspect that creatures like longnecks would probably be able to mate with each other and produce offspring. Apatosaurus + Diplodocus = Apadocus?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would guess in lbt that may be possible, though as far as I know we've not seen any evidence of that, and who knows how different, or similar, some dinosaur species were genetically.  Especially if they are living together at the same time, instead of being spread around over a long period of time across a few eras and periods.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Aug 15 2008 on  03:41 PM
Not to mention that some of the stories where two completely different species get together, they end up having kids that are of the species of either parent.  This has been common place for MANY years.  I'm sure you can pick up a number of stories and find such a thing happening.

As for it happening in real life, I have heard of the Horse + Donkey = Mule and the Tiger + Lion = Ligar ones. (I've seen the display of what one looks like at my local Zoo.  No stripes like a tiger, but definitely holds the build of one, despite having the looks of a lion.)

What will happen if the writers do it for LBT? Who knows? :)
I was thinking something like this also.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Writers and Animators of LBT decides to do mix families, it can reflected on the World Family Groups Today.

For example suppose Ducky and Petrie grew up and they actually fell in love with each other?  they will be unable to produce due to there differences in spieces but they can Adopt a child.

I don't find nothing wrong with this because this is a reminder that there are couples in the world today who have different back grounds but share the same feelings for each other.  

:rolleyes: We already seen talking dinosaurs and mix herds already why not see mix families also?  Scientist made a huge discovery on finding dinosaurs remains; exsisting in prehistoric time but nobody not even the scientist are acturate enough to say how the dinosaurs lived, two different spieces could have formed a new dinosaur who knows.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It depends on how different they were genetically if they can produce children together or not.  A biologist, zoologist and such could explain better then I can and have more knowledge then I have.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Mar 25 2010 on  09:14 PM
It depends on how different they were genetically if they can produce children together or not.  A biologist, zoologist and such could explain better then I can and have more knowledge then I have.
I believe some mysterious events toke place in prehistoric time I don't know what they were but I'm pretty sure it happened.  Thats why I don't see nothing wrong with LBT going out of line with reality its a cartoon things can happen look at Glido where did you think he came from two different spieces of prehistoric birds must have made him to be.