The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Free Roms Gave My Laptop Locking Malware

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ugh!  I did not want to spend the last 6 hours of my day like this! :facepalm

So, I recently got an NES Classic with my Christmas money.  Being bored, I chose to hack it. (No way am I satisfied with just the 30 games on it.) The software you need to get to do so causes zero harm to your computer.  It's the roms where you have to be careful.  Go to the wrong place and you can end up like I did.

So, let it be known, do not go to Free Roms if you are doing that.  You could end up downloading malware that causes multiple problems.  I tried to run my multiple malware killers, but then the thing attacked with malware that restarted the system and locked me out.

I tried my password and it didn't work.  I downloaded software to get around that.  Found that my password was forzen and that a new administration was keeping me out.  So, with little other choice, I reformatted my computer.  I'm sure I haven't even downloaded everything I need to yet.

Yeah, did not want to spend my day this way.  Especially my day off of work.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nasty. I thought pretty much every ROM site had taken down every Nintendo game? Probably better off finding a torrent for them in the future or trying archive.org.

Anyway, hindsight is 20/20. I hope you haven't lost any precious data with the format and that your pc runs as it should again. That sounds like a particular nasty piece of malware.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I thought pretty much every ROM site had taken down every Nintendo game?

Not really.  Some did get scared when Nintendo went after Love Roms, THE most popular and trusted Roms site out there, a few months back.  Some got rid of their Roms, but others saw it as an opportunity to get more popular.  It's finding the trusted ones that makes it difficult now.  It seems to be hard to find ones that have Adventures of Lolo that are compatible right now. (Pretty much the reason I got malware in the first place.  I love the Adventures of Lolo Series and I hate that Nintendo did not include it in the NES Classic.) I'll keep hunting though.

At least at this point, Free Roms is off my list of places to go to if I want to get roms.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's worse than I thought.  This malware attack got into my bitcoin account and enabled it to take money out of my bank account via debit card and transfer it to another account.  I have lost over $600!  I have blocked my debit card and locked my bitcoin account.  I'll be going to the bank tomorrow to refund the money.

Not liking this one bit. :facepalm

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, I got a new debit card and told the clerk what happened.  Due to the recent changes, I have to wait for some papers to sign so they can confirm it.  After that, I have to mail them.  At least they are putting a rush on it.

Anyways, due to the fact that I have little idea as to when I'll get the money, I had to borrow money from my parents so I can pay the bills this month.  They expect me to pay them by my next paycheck.  I'm hoping for it to be the big one. (In fact, I'm expecting it to be.)

I am seriously not happy right now. x(cera