The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What is Your current job or future job

oogaboo · 104 · 25407

cool person

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Jrd89,Aug 31 2014 on  02:39 AM
For the past 3 years, my job has been bagging groceries and cleaning at a grocery store. It's not the greatest, but it's better than having no job at all, though. :(

It's part-time and the pay is only $8.75 per hour. about $14,000 per year for me.  And i'm not a high-school aged teenager. I am 25 years old now. I still feel that I have made no real progress since 18. And that the last 7 years have been a total waste (other than moving to Florida 4 years ago.)

I just hope I can get a better paying job in the future to get my life going better. :( I definitely do not earn enough money to live on my own, and i'm still with my mom and dad. :(    I'm sorry, guys. I feel bad. My one life is passing me up year by year. :( I do not like the direction my life is going in now. :( Yeah living in Florida is great, but not having my own car, or having enough money to live on my own, and never having a full time job ever before, really sucks.

I'm still living with my parents. I have no real in-person friends, i've never had a girlfriend either and I feel that my life is passing me up, and that i'm losing at the game of life. :( I feel bad and really behind. And when i'm at home, I still do feel stuck and that I can only do things my parents approve of as long as i'm still living with them.

Guys,   I  am     just.           plain.          sorry.    :(

I feel that 2008-2014 have been 7 wasted years of my 1 life that I will never get back.

I think that "normal" 25 year old guys do live on their own, have decent jobs, have friends, and some even have girlfriends.
dont be worries jrd98. thing Will be work perfect in the end. u can finds friends & girlfriends here in phorum. common intrest = dinosaries, no?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
As some of you already know, I'm a computer repair technician with a successful business.  But lately I've been looking to find a job where I can live where I want to (not in the city) and still be able to make it.  So I've started a natural health products website.  I scored an awesome domain name, registered as a legitimate business (LLC), I have a wholesale license, and I'm really hoping this will be a good business for me.  I'm still working on the website, but if you guys want to take a look:

www.findnatural.com

For now it's a drop shipping business, but I'm hoping to take the most popular products and buy them in bulk so I can lower my prices and be more competitive.  It's not 100% functional yet as I still need to integrate my bank account so I can process credit cards.  I've already set up the SSL certificate (https) and everything functions okay.  But as always, Internet Explorer compatibility is an absolute B****.  I also need to modify the responsiveness a bit more (so it's compatible with smartphones).  But so far, everything is going pretty well.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I work as a Sales Associate at Walmart.  I've been working there for 9 years, and it is a job I hate!  From customers treating you like crap to managers that want to make you do every job under the sun away from your assigned area, (I've even told a few of those managers "no" just to make sure they don't go into the area of "enslaving me".) thus making it less likely you can get the work you have in your assigned area done, it proves to be nothing more than a bad job.

It's even worse now, with one of the workers getting very sick and I am assigned to cover for them. (The individual has been on sick leave for 4 weeks now.) Add in the head who is an idiot and makes terrible business decisions, and you can see just how bad and frustrating it gets.

My dream is to get out of my job.  That simple.  I just hate it that much.

I don't care about the money I make.  I just want out at this point.

I understand that I need the money to pay the bills, but even that isn't mattering right now.  I wouldn't care if I was someone in my 30s living with my parents.  I'd be okay with it in the end. -_-

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
^Jeesh, that's rough Pokeplayer.  I don't even like to SHOP at Walmart, let alone WORK there!  Nightmare job.  My Great Aunt works at Walmart, and get this......it's by choice.  She loves working there.  How that's even possible, I'll never know.  She was a computer engineer back when computers were the size of a room. She retired but got bored after a year or two and decided to go work at Walmart.  I know she didn't do it for financial reasons.  Her memory isn't what it used to be and she sadly didn't keep up with her education, otherwise I'm sure she'd still be a computer engineer.  Computers were sooooooooooo different back then.  Seriously, when she describes how the old computers worked I get totally lost. :p Vacuum tubes.  LOL

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I'm trying to find a job but I haven't had much luck.

If I'm lucky, I might get a job as an associate microbiologist at a pharmaceutical company. Failing that, there's an industrial manufacturing job at a biological supply company I applied to.

Failing that, there's pharmacy clerk or pharmacy technician at a nearby supermarket.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I can sympathise with that.
For the rest of the month I still got a job as "Fachbereichsleiter f¸r den Bereicht Fremdsprachen an der Volkshochschule M¸nster" which could be roughly translated as "head of the department of foreign languages at the Volkshochschule M¸nster" (Volkshochschule being an education center for adults). I had gotten that job in August but was told that I cannot keep it due to lacking "in-job experience" though the employers admitted that they had known about experience (or lack of it) from my CV and couldn't answer the question on how "in-job experience" can be acquired outside the job :neutral
Applying since 2009 with (by now) three different university degrees highschool diplomas from both Germany and the US, four years of working experience as a lecturer on provisionary basis and lots of internships I cannot deny that there is a degree of frustration about the apparent unwillingness of any institution to grant an insured job.
So basically my job comes down to working on provisionary basis as a lecturer on history for five different education institutions. I love the job as such and there is nothing making me so ecstatic as holding history presentations, but without the insurances covered it is simply nothing to base ones life on. I am not striving for much money, I don't need a car or the most fashionable / modern pieces of technology or anything, but turning on the heating in winter without great concerns or going for some nice supper without a look at the bill all the time would be a nice improvement.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I looked back on this thread to see what once was (about three years ago) and what is now.

Same as my last response--I still teach teenage special needs students, though I now work with much more behavioral, challenging students than I was with the three or four years ago.  Job's gotten harder and more stressful, yet here I still am, seven years in and still there. :)  Is it a dream job--well, the stress is a killer here, and its definitely taken its toll on me over the years, but I can't complain with the financial independence I've had for those seven years.  To leave that would be silly, even if it was for a less stressful job at this stage in the game.

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
I deliver newspapers and have been doing so since late August 2005. The pay sucks; but, it's better than nothing. Although to make it worthwhile, I have to do at least four routes. Stress is a major thing for me; especially when the papers arrive late. Thursdays are the worst; sometimes I don't get them until 3:30 in the afternoon. Finishing deliveries takes me until at least 9:30 at night on Thursdays; that is, unless I skip eating my dinner.

:bang  :bang  :anger  :x  :p

fanciful_flyer

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://https://reia73.wordpress.com/
I currently work at Nordstrom's Rack doing mark-downs. ^^ I like the work well enough, even if I'm not used to standing for 8 hours on end (ouch.) I've always been very undecided on a dream job. For a while I thought I wanted to be an animator, but changed my mind when I realized that it was more computer-based than traditional-art-based.

cyberbat

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'm a laboratory assistant at a medical lab. Been working there for 11yrs now.

I work in cytology. Which is mostly staining and coversliping papsmears.

I used to work in microbiology. So I have handled practically every gross body fluid that could come out of a human! Nothing phazes me anymore *Lol

I love to listen to podcasts while I work, wish the were LBT ones. I do like 'the rotoscopers' podcast which takes about animation.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Welcome to the Gang of Five!
It's great to see you again! :D
For everyone else, cyberbat is the first other land before time fan I ever got to know (back in August 2000) and also the first one I ever had the pleasure to meet in real life :)

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I've been a nude model for two years now. Very rewarding job, high pay with low hours.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I'm currently a grad student but I worked as a farmhand before that.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm currently in the midst of changing careers.  My dream career did not work out for the long-run due to lack of promotion potential and increased budget slashing.  As much as I hate to say it, it seems that only the biggest brown-nosers get the secure jobs, and I'm not that kind of person.  At least I've gotten the opportunity to make my dreams become reality after many doubted my decisions☺.

I truly believe everything happens for a reason.  Just as my now former career has come to an end, a more personal one that I feel is true to my calling has presented itself: working with and advocating for the disabled community, with an emphasis on autism.  I have been presented with an opportunity to apply for a position in which I, if selected, will direct all recreational activities for an active ASD community, train and supervise their caregivers, empower them to strive for independence, and advocate for their employment opportunities.

As I said, it's not a sure thing as I just applied, so I don't want to jinx myself😉.  I sure hope it falls through.  Either way, I'll keep you guys updated.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I am a Freshman in high school, I hate school. ^^spike
8 years with TGOF :yum

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just about to finish my first semester studying chemistry at university  :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: bestariana1girl,Feb 21 2016 on  02:25 AM
As fun as high school can be, it can also be tough, especially if you're one of the kids who always get picked on it seems.  Be patient and hang in there.  The real world is a lot more of a blast, and also comes with more responsibilities but it's worth it.  My twenties were such a blast, and it'll be awesome to see what thirty brings into my life☺.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Feb 22 2016 on  12:07 AM
Quote from: bestariana1girl,Feb 21 2016 on  02:25 AM
As fun as high school can be, it can also be tough, especially if you're one of the kids who always get picked on it seems.  Be patient and hang in there.  The real world is a lot more of a blast, and also comes with more responsibilities but it's worth it.  My twenties were such a blast, and it'll be awesome to see what thirty brings into my life☺.
Lol, thank you. I'm not picked on, I just hate school & gym. :lol
8 years with TGOF :yum

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I work for a large tour operator now in their custom tour operations department. Basically I arrange all the logistics for our custom ad-hoc tours.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:52:29 PM by Pterano »

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Translator, most likely.
Hey! I was right! I was a translator for 1.5 years before switching to my current position of both project manager and final revision/editor for Dutch translations. Even better, I ended up working in video game translations which is what I have wanted for a while. Contract discussions take place later this month, so fingers crossed I can stay!