The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Swimmer Trials

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Geez, I hope nothing happens to her mother.  She's my favorite adult character😢.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Review of chapter 16:

Oh wow, Ducky is leaving the Great Valley. That's interesting. Sculra also seems to be hated by almost everyone :yes
Again, very emotional chapter! :)

BTW: You have two chapter 16's :p
Inactive, probably forever.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Nice observation Ducky :yes
I didn't notice that but I'll soon clear it up.

That Chapter when Ducky leaves was indeed emotional. My eyes watered when writing it and that is saying something because I rarely crack it. Sculra certainly has gone to far but she is still not yet done with her mischief as you will later find out.

Thanks for the feedback.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope nasty Sculra doesn't get those eggs hurt.  It would hurt Ducky's family too much.  They are already under a lot of pain!

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
From now on due to the pressures of starting Uni. I will post new chapters on Wednesday's and Sunday's and if I can then Saturday as well.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 20: Of Love, Memories and Plans.

One day after the events of chapter 19.

The rain fell heavily in the Great Valley, it was the same rain that Ducky and her mother had been caught in when they had stopped to rest the night in the cave. The mood in the Valley was awfully gloomy without Ducky's playful laughter and Sura's compassionate voice filling the conversations that the grown-up's had with each other. The Gang accompanied by Ali and three of Ducky's siblings Echo, Opal and Ray all sat beneath a large tree with broad branches and lots of foliage growing from the tips. This provided an adequate shelter from the drenching rain.

Littlefoot sat beside Ali, his head lay on the ground as he watched the rain fall into a nearby puddle. "The weather seems to reflect the mood that The Great Valley residents are feeling" thought Littlefoot. He briefly glanced around his at friends and could see the same gloomy, tired, downcast expressions that he had on his face. Littlefoot turned back to watching the puddle fill with water, his thought's dwelled on Ducky, how he missed her and the effect that she had on the group. "If only everyone would stop being so gloomy" he thought, annoyed.

Then the thought struck him and he suddenly had an idea that would probably help cheer his friends up. "Do you remember what Ducky would do today?" asked Littlefoot. Everyone turned to look at him solemnly.

Cera spoke up "She'd be out Swimming on a day like this even with all this skywater" said Cera. "I remember, it was on a day like today that Ducky taught Tricia how to swim" she said looking into the distance as she remembered that day.  

The friends all seemed to look a little more brighter. Echo spoke next "Opal, do you remember that day that we were being chased by Hyp?"

Opal nodded and continued "We ran into the fast water, where Ducky was Swimming and making a water fountain" she chuckled. They all knew that Ducky liked Swimming on her back and sucking water into her mouth and then blowing it all out in a fountain of spray.

Opal continued "Ducky had not seen Hyp but when we were in the water Hyp knew that it was pointless to chase us once we were in the water so he went for Ducky who still hadn't seen him. Opal broke down into a laughing fit which lasted until she struggled to breath.

Echo took over then "Hyp grabbed Ducky but she had just taken in a mouthful of water and when he grabbed her she let lose a fountain in his face". The friends burst out laughing.

Cera was laughing so hard that she had to wipe tears of laughter from her eyes with her feet "I wish I could have been there to see the look on that dumb bully's face" she laughed breathlessly.

When the laughing died down Ray came forward "Those bullies were really nasty, they hurt me and insulted me until I didn't want to leave the nest" said Ray sadly. The others gave him looks of sympathy, they all knew what Hyp and his two cronies Mutt and Not could do. Ray, when he was younger had been picked on by Hyp who constantly tormented him with name calling and a few physical beatings, by the time a week had passed Ray had become to afraid to leave the nest

"I was sitting alone by the stream when Ducky found me...and......." Ray was chocking back sobs when he next spoke " she was just there for me. I really do miss her" he said.

"Ducky always help Petrie when me sad" commented Petrie "She try to help the night she was taken by me Uncle". The friends nodded in agreement. Ducky was always loving and compassionate to many dinosaurs.

"That sounds like Ducky" said Ali "I remember when your Grandpa was ill Littlefoot and Ducky went back for the Night Flower even though it was dangerous" said Ali. To which Littlefoot nodded, he had always thought that Ducky was a little foolish in going back for the Night Flower when there was still plenty on Spike's back.

"Well" said Chomper "Ducky can be a little to selfless for her own good,  sometimes like when she wanted to help Thud when he was hurt by the rocks on that ledge that we were trapped on". The friends exchanged shocked glances.

"If I had been there I would have knocked some sense into Ducky" said Cera in agitation "I'm glad that she is so selfless, I would not have it any other way but she can go to far at times". The others all nodded in agreement.

Ruby spoke next in a proud voice. "I remember teaching Ducky how to use her big voice. She just wanted everyone to hear her so that they could listen to her" said Ruby "Then she scared away Red Claw with her big voice" chuckled Ruby.

Spike gave a happy sigh. He remembered when he and Ducky were reunited at the Hot Springs. He felt so joyous when he had seen her waiting for him without getting mad at him. Spike always loved his sister, but he wished that he could have gone with Ducky, so that he could keep her safe but that was up to his mother. Spike longed for the day that Ducky returned.

Littlefoot laughed from Ruby's comment "I remember that. I thought it was you who spoke Ruby" he said.

"I still can't believe that I allowed Ducky to boss me around like dad when she spoke in that big voice" said Cera in a slow voice. The friends laughed merrily, the day seemed less dark as they recalled their happy memories of their dear friend.

The children's parents even felt a little better at seeing their kids laughing again. So much bad had happened recently but now it felt like that never happened as the friends laughed and talked in contempt.

Later in the evening Littlefoot and Ali sat on the edge of the tall cliff and watched the sunset. Littlefoot felt a little better today in the company of his friends. He looked at the red coloured sky and then looked at Ali and was completely dazed by how beautiful she looked in the evening sunset. He smiled at her and Ali returned the smile. Littlefoot looked deep into her blue eyes, those thoughtful, caring eyes. He was unaware of entwining his tail around hers. He just concentrated on this moment.

Ali looked into the distance thoughtfully then turned to Littlefoot."Do you think Ducky will be okay?" she asked him.

Littlefoot spoke in a firm voice that was filled with resolve. "I believe that Ducky can do it and I intend to do all I can to help her succeed, I will not lose her like how I lost my mother" said Littlefoot in a determined tone.

Ali smiled at him and moved closer to Littlefoot and nuzzled him "I know you will Littlefoot, you are the beat friend that anyone could ask for and I am glad to have met you" she said, giving him a loving nuzzle.

Littlefoot face blushed red, as red as the sunset sky. Ali chucked at him. Littlefoot smiled back, feeling a little foolish. "I will always be their for my friends" he said and looked at Ali and said "all my friends".

Ali smiled and licked Littlefoot on the cheek. "I want to ask my mom if I can stay here in the Valley, with you and my friends" said Ali.

Littlefoot looked delighted "I would love you to stay" he said.

Ali smiled "I like you Littlefoot, your my best friend" she said before resting her neck on his back as the night settled in. Littlefoot looked at the sky. Ali lay asleep next to him. Littlefoot scanned the sky until he spotted a star shining brighter then all the others.

He smiled and spoke in a quiet voice if a little saddened voice "Mother. I miss you and now I might lose my friend Ducky like how I lost you". Littlefoot looked down at the ground and said in a trembling voice "I don't want to lose her" he said "if you could help her and keep her alive for me......."

Littlefoot stopped and scolded himself for thinking that his mother could help Ducky then he said "I like Ali and I hope she will stay in the Valley but I also hope that Ducky will be okay". Littlefoot turned from the star and lay his neck beside Ali's and before he knew it he was fast asleep. Above him the star that he had watched earlier blazed more brightly then before.

Earlier in the day

Ruphus walked over into the Secret Caverns, he had some business to discuss with Chomper. He may have originally been against Sura's idea to eliminate Sculra but he had forgotten then that he had already tried and failed in an attempt but now with Sura's eggs laid and Sculra's attack on his beautiful daughter he was not going to compromise. He had a plan that could get rid of Sculra once and for all. Ruphus advanced deeper into the caverns in search of Chomper but he needn't have bothered as Chomper found him.

"What are you doing here?" ask Chomper from behind his back.

Ruphus jumped around with a startled cry. He looked at Chomper and groaned "Don't sneak up on me like that" he said in an irritated voice.

"Sorry" said Chomper "but what are you doing here?" he asked inquisitively.

"I was looking for you".

Chomper looked surprised "you were looking for me?"

"Yes" said Ruphus "I need your help with something".

"Sure, I'll help" said Chomper.

"Don't go in to fast" cautioned Ruphus. "You might not want to do this so I will let you decide for yourself if you want to help me".

Chomper nodded curiously.

"I need you to help me take out Sculra" said Ruphus.

Chomper's mouth fell open in numb shock. The last thing he expected of a leaf eater was this: asking him to kill another dinosaur.

"If Sculra was not around then there would be no Trial of Destiny and Ducky would be safe and everyone after her. Sura's eggs will also be safe from her if she was gone. Sculra has already attacked Ducky and I don't know whether she will survive the next time". Ruphus explained it as calmly as he could to Chomper who was now looking very troubled.

"I won't force you but it would greatly help if you came" said Ruphus

Chomper silently debated the issue in his head. If he killed Sculra then Ducky would also be safe but what of the consequences of killing a Great Valley dinosaur and there was always the chance of failure and if that were to happen then Sculra might just have him exiled. But if Sculra lived then she would have the chance to hurt many more, Ducky included. Chomper concluded that since another Great Valley dinosaur asked him of this then he probably would not be exiled for killing a villainous dinosaur "besides it's not like the grown-up's don't want to kill her too" thought Chomper.

Ruphus waited patiently for Chomper's answer. Chomper suddenly looked up at him and with a sigh he said "I will help you, to save Ducky" said Chomper slowly.

Ruphus nodded. "Thank you" he said and without further ado he began confining in Chomper the details of his plan. Ruphus hoped that it would work. He wanted to make sure that his daughter was safe but he also hoped beyond hope that both his lovely mate Sura and his beautiful little daughter Ducky would come home safe and sound.

My next post will be on the weekend, just so you know.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope Chomper wins and that it doesn't corrupt him in doing it!

I don't think he should her though.  The evil in her might poison him.   :lol

I think that he should introduce her to Red Claw.  That way he won't have to do the deed personally.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Review of chapter 17:

Nice to see Archie again. It's interesting that Swimmers of Ducky's kind create sounds with their crests in your story. I'm not sure if this would have worked in real but it's a really helpful idea :yes
It's also nice to see an insight into Sculra's mind. What a selfish cow she is... Hiring Ozzy and Strut is very evil of her. I hope someone can save the eggs (I've already got an idea, let's see if you do this... :DD)

Review of chapter 18:

Wow, Sura's story is wonderful. Sad of course but very touching and valueful. Hopefully, Ducky will always remember this and teach the rest of the Gang :p

Review of chapter 19:

Wow, that was quite exciting! Dil's and Icky's teamwork is still as bad as it used to be though :smile I only hope Sura's injury won't cause her further distress...

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
...It seemed odd that Chomper agreed to kill Sculra in such a short period of time.

Personally, I'd extend out the internal debate and maybe even produce a scene that shows him thinking about it and it takes a day.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Yes Serris, I agree that it was a little quick in Chomper's acceptance of the job and I originally intended to show that conflict in another Chapter but I have a habit of letting the story write itself and once I get writing I put this stuff in. I have had to make many shuffles with my plan because I kept on adding something for another chapter or forgetting something. So I would have to edit my plan. So the story plan is not completely set in concrete until The Trials begin.

The original idea with Chomper was that he would not decide for a while and the conflict goes on until Ozzy and Strut attempt to steal Sura's eggs which at this point Chomper agrees to the plan. But you will Chomper will certainly see Chomper's inner conflict on the issue at hand in the next few Chapters.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 21: An Eventful Conversation

It was night in the Valley and Chomper was standing outside his cave, waiting for Ruphus to arrive. Chomper was still having trouble in believing that he had actually said that he would be the one to kill Sculra.

"What was going through my mind?" he thought. He had certainly grasped the implications of what Ruphus was asking him but for the past two days he had stayed largely confined in his cave with a fierce inner battle being fought in his mind. While one side of his mind. The predatory side, relished in the opportunity to hunt and kill and taste the spoils of his hunt.

On the other side of his mind was his more tame self, he questioned what would happen to him if he were to kill Sculra, He had never killed another dinosaur before and he feared that it would just become way more easier for him hurt his friends and that it would be way more harder to keep himself under control.

Then his mind grasped Ducky's situation, Chomper pondered for a very long time about her dilemma. Ducky was the best friend that he could ask for, she was always so friendly to him even though he was a Sharptooth. Chomper knew all to well that Ducky would have little chance in surviving the Trial of Destiny. "Even if Ducky mastered the wisdoms she still would have little chance" thought Chomper.

Chomper debated on the benefits of getting rid of Sculra, if he succeeded in his endeavour then he would be the saviour of countless generations to come as no one would need to perform the horrible Trial again, he would also thought that he would also be more accepted into leaf eater society if he got rid of Sculra and he would also save Ducky.

But Chomper also delved into the dangers of such a venture, if he failed then Ducky would still be in danger and there was also the possibility that he might not survive the raid. "The grown-ups might be mad at me if I killed a Great Valley dinosaur" Chomper's mind deducted. He would also put Ducky's family in more danger if he failed.

Chomper sighed. The debate raged on with no end and he was at a loss. He could not make a decision and yet he already had said that he would do it and he did not like to back down from a promise. So for better or for worse he would be a part of tonight's attack.

Chomper waited outside and tried to take a few deep breaths of the air around him in a vain attempt to calm the growing frustration and anger that he was starting to feel. His mind was in such a state of flux that he did not notice Ruby approaching him from behind.

Ruby quietly sat down next to him and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. Chomper turned to look at her. Ruby wore a concerned expression on her face. "Chomper are you okay?" she asked.

Chomper nodded "sure" he said.

Ruby gave him a firm look, she knew that he was not telling the truth and was certainly not impressed "Chomper I am you friend and I want to help you and I can't help you if I don't know what is wrong. So can you please tell me what's wrong, I understand that you miss Ducky but that is no reason to stay in your cave for two days a good reason it is not".

Chomper looked up at the face of his care giver and friend, all his other friends had parents that they could confide their problems too, but he had none, he just had Ruby. So why couldn't he tell her what was troubling him. "A couple of days ago Ducky's father came here and we had a short talk" said Chomper. "He asked me to help him with something".

"What did he want your help with?" asked Ruby who was very interested now.

Chomper took a deep breath "He reckons that he knows where Sculra is hiding and he want's my help to......to...kill her" Chomper blurted out the last few words and looked to see Ruby's face pale significantly "and I said I would help him but now I don't know what to do. If I failed then Sculra would be more dangerous and the other Valley residents will want to throw me out and I don't want that" said Chomper, working himself into a panic "but I also want to get rid of her, I want to help save Ducky". Chomper was breathing hard and fast now "I mean...she's my friend......and I don't want to lose her......but I hate Sculra as well and I want to...." Chomper could not say anything else he was breathing way to hard.

Ruby saw how distressed he was and grabbed his hand in hers and hugged him tightly "oh Chomper I'm so sorry, sorry I am" she said. Chomper calmed his breathing and looked up at Ruby.

"I just don't know what to do" he said in severe distress. "I mean what would you do Ruby?" he asked.

Ruby gave Chomper a long look and pondered for a while, finally she spoke "I would do what I think is right" she said.

"But I don't know what is right and wrong here" replied Chomper.

Ruby tightened her grip on Chomper's claw and looked deeply into his eyes. "Chomper why did you say yes?" she asked.

Chomper thought for a moment "I just wanted Ducky to be okay" he said after a short while. "Is that wrong?".

Ruby laughed at her friends question. "It is not wrong at all wrong it is not. If you want to save Ducky then I believe that no one can fault your motive but the method is questionable" Ruby's voice became very serious "being asked to kill someone is very extreme and I personally don't like the idea" said Ruby.

"But it looks like the only way" said Chomper.

"I know Chomper but it might not be the only way but since you are doing it ask yourself this: Is Sculra as kind as the person you wish to save, is her life worth that of Ducky's?"

"It is" said Chomper firmly. "Sculra is the most nasty Swimmer I've ever heard of, Ducky is worth way more then her."

Ruby nodded, she expected this answer. "Then why do you want to kill someone who is nasty and cruel like Sculra?" She asked.  

"To save Ducky" said Chomper without hesitation "she's my friend and I would do anything to help her".              

"Now ask yourself this: Do you think that is just to kill a bad Swimmer who has done much wrong and wants to harm your friend to save the life of a good Swimmer who is kind, caring and your friend?"

Chomper smiled at Ruby and embraced her in a loving hug. "Oh thank you Ruby. I know what I have to do now" said Chomper. To which Ruby smiled.

"Now you know" said Ruby and she got up to leave.

"Ruby?" called Chomper.

Ruby turned "yes Chomper?" she asked curtly even though she was starting to feel a little tired.

"Has something like this ever happened to you before?" he asked cautiously. He became nervous when he saw a tear fall down Ruby's cheek as she looked down at the ground. Had he gone to far?

Ruby came back to him and once again took up her spot beside Chomper, where she took a long breath. "Something like this did happen to me once" she said. There was something in her voice that Chomper had never heard before and it made him shiver.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

Ruby looked hard at Chomper and after a few breathless seconds for Chomper, she nodded her head slowly and began her narrative. "It was a long time ago before we met that this happened, before my brother and sister hatched. I had a great friend which I played with".

Chomper opened his mouth at discovering something totally new about his friend. "Her name was Dorine" said Ruby "and we were best friends at the time, but then I discovered that she had been abused by one of her parents every night". Chomper looked stunned, he gazed transfixed at Ruby as she continued her story "She was beaten and bleeding badly very soon, she was dying and motherless and her father did not appear to want her".

"How could her father beat her?" asked Chomper.

Ruby turned to look at Chomper, tears were trickling from her eyes as she recounted the rest of the events. "I don't know Chomper, know I do not but I do know that one day she caught a disease and with her beatings, she was nearly dead. I tried to help her but soon I realised that the only way was...... to kill her father". Ruby sobbed hard, Chomper grasped her hand in support until Ruby calmed down enough to speak again. "I did it, I hit him on the head with a large rock while he slept and...he......died".

Ruby hugged Chomper tightly. Chomper was shocked, he never knew that Ruby had done such a thing before. "Well at least you saved your friend" he said in an attempt to cheer her up. But Ruby shook her head.

"She died a few days later" said Ruby, her voice trembling as she remembered that day. "I at least gave her some peace in her last days" she said then she looked at Chomper. "Please don't let that h-happen to Ducky I-I...could not bear to lose her too."

Chomper nodded. "I will do all I can to make sure that Sculra hurts no one else anymore" sais Chomper in a determined voice. He held Ruby's hand in resolute.

Ruby smiled. "I know you will" she said.

The two friends sat together watching the Night Circle and all the surrounding stars. Finally they saw Ruphus immerge from the foliage nearby. It was time.

Chomper got up and left the cave, he would try his best to see this through, for his friend. Ruby watched the two leave and thought of her old friend and of Ducky "good luck Chomper" she whispered. Ruby turned and went back inside the cave to sleep. Little did she know how this eventful night was going to unfold but she hoped that everything would be okay and everyone would be safe for all their sakes.

So there is a large inner conflict going on in Chomper's mind. Ruby certainly knows what to say, and the glimpse into her past shows that she is not what as innocent as everybody thinks. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. See what happens with Ozzy and Strut as well as Ruphus and Chomper in the next instalments.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I still don't think less of Ruby.  She did the right thing.  She should have acted sooner.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 22: The Dangerous Night

Ruphus accompanied by Chomper headed into a treacherous land of valley's, ledges and cliffs. "It is the perfect place in the Valley to hide" reflected Ruphus. No one came to this part of the Valley because it was so inaccessible and dangerous so it would be a perfect place for the person who does not want to be found. Ruphus chose this place to search because Sculra who was always trying to impress him had spoken of a clearing with a cave in it and of how to get there a while ago before the Trial, so Ruphus was sure that Sculra was hiding out here.

Chomper followed Ruphus, he had never been to this part of the Valley but it was very beautiful. Tall cliffs and ledges that protected dozens of small valley's that were filled with plenty of foliage, had large water holes and sometimes empty caves. "This would be a great place to explore" thought Chomper. But he was very nervous of traversing these small ledges especially with a full grown Swimmer. Many of the ledges were very small or very weak and whenever a small chunk broke off because of Ruphus's immense weight, he would feel very ill and nervous. He felt a large lump in his stomach as he looked over the edge and saw just how high up they were, normally he would say that it was "kinda neat" but in the dark he felt very vulnerable up here on the cliffs.  

"Are you sure this is safe?" he asked nervously.

"If Sculra could travel along here then I am sure that is safe enough for us, as long as we are careful" replied Ruphus. The duo followed a small trail up to the summit of a tall cliff and in between some bushes which overlooked a small valley beneath them with a cave and a running stream which was surrounded by impenetrable foliage and in the middle of the clearing the dark outline of a Swimmer was barely visible in the dark of the night.

"Ha, found her" said Ruphus from behind the bush, Chomper saw her too, he felt a hot surge of anger when he saw her. The fiend that was responsible for all the pain that he, his friends and Ducky especially was now feeling. The two dinosaurs walked on down a trail which would bring them down into the valley. But there progress was halted halfway up when they came across a ledge that was narrow and way more thinner then the rest. Ruphus stopped and surveyed the ledge carefully, he knew that it might not hold his weight and he would not be able to go through quickly enough to lessen the impact of his weight on the ledge due to it's small size.

"Hmmmmm" said Ruphus thoughtfully.

Chomper eyed the ledge with distrust. It looked like there was a disaster just waiting to happen and even more worse was that neither of them could see when the ledge became safer as after several metres it wound around a bend and continued for an uncertain length.

"Chomper, this ledge looks to dangerous for me to continue on so I would like you to go on and see when the ledge becomes safe then I will know if I can come down this way" said Ruphus.

Chomper nodded nervously and walked past Ruphus and into the danger zone. The ledge seemed stable under his weight and there was enough room for him to move swiftly but Ruphus was way more larger and heavy then he was and there was no telling whether the ledge would hold under him. Chomper walked around the bend and a few feet later the ledge widened and thickened which obviously meant that it was safe. Chomper turned and walked back to Ruphus and said to him "It becomes safe after you round the corner there".

Ruphus nodded it was not far to get to the safe zone but he was still filled with doubt about this ledge. "I'm coming over but first Chomper get back over where the ledge thickens and wait for me until I get there" said Ruphus. He would take the risk here.

Chomper looked very nervous but he nodded and walked ahead to where the ledge thickened. "Good luck" he called when he got there.

Ruphus flattened his body against the cliff face and proceeded with extreme caution to cross the ledge. There was hardly enough room for his feet as he shuffled along and he could hear the rock crack beneath him, but it did not break. He was getting close to the bend but that's when he heard a loud crack and the ledge started to give way. Ruphus jumped back just as the ledge collapsed. He managed to grab hold of a root that was pointing out of the rock and stop himself from falling he then climbed back on to the safe part of the ledge.

"Are you okay" came Chomper's voice as he rounded the corner.

"I'm fine" replied Ruphus with a sigh. The ledge now had a small break, it was easily jumpable for him but it was out of the question for Ruphus to try now. "Guess I won't be going down there now" he said.

"Don't worry Mr Swimmer" said Chomper "I'll do it" Ruphus looked at Chomper a long time before he nodded his head.

"Good luck Chomper, I will be watching from the bush at the top of the cliff" said Ruphus.

Chomper nodded and headed into the valley. He was more then nervous about this and a part of his mind thought that this was a bad idea "I thought I had settled this" he thought angrily. The last thing he need was another inner battle when he was about to perform this deed. Chomper took up a stalking stance and sneaked towards the sleeping Swimmer. He advanced until he was right next to Sculra's exposed neck. Chomper raised his claw, just one cut and it would over. But just as he was about to cut her throat there was a rumble and the ground shacked violently. Chomper fell to the ground with a thud.

Sculra woke up suddenly and held on tightly to the ground, as did Chomper as the ground was rocking too violently for him to stand. Ruphus had to jump back from the edge as the earthquake struck, so as to avoid falling off the cliff. He cursed his bad luck of having an earthshake striking at the crucial moment.

Suddenly the ground stopped shaking. Chomper regained himself and saw that Sculra had not noticed him. Chomper did not waste any time he leapt up onto her neck. Sculra seemed to know that she was being attacked because she rolled herself over, knocking Chomper to the ground. Sculra got up and beheld Chomper.

"YOU!" she yelled in fury. "I'll get you for this you rotten little biter!" hissed Sculra in a venomous voice.

Chomper knew that he was in trouble, he would not be able to fight a full grown Swimmer so he turned and ran for the mountain pass with Sculra hot on his heels. Ruphus saw what was going on and ran down to where the ledge thinned and waited. "Come on Chomper RUN!" he called encouragingly to him. Chomper panted with exhaustion as climbed the narrow ledge but thankfully Sculra had to slow down because of her size. Chomper could hear her cursing furiously as she continued her pursuit of Chomper.

Chomper soon reached the dangerous part of the ledge but when he rounded the bend he stopped suddenly as another part of the ledge had collapsed, widening the gap and leaving him trapped on the lower side with Sculra fast approaching.

"Chomper!" yelled Ruphus "jump!".

"Are you mad! I'll never make it!" cried Chomper in dismay.

"Chomper I will catch you, but now we don't have time to argue, it's either this or Sculra!" insisted Ruphus.

Sculra's furious voice grew louder, she was about to come around the bend. Chomper took a deep breath and prepared himself for a long drop and jumped just as Sculra came round the corner. Chomper fell short and started falling but Ruphus jumped onto his belly and grabbed Chomper's tail in his hand and pulled him up safely. Chomper was breathing very fast now, he looked up at Ruphus and said in a voice filled with relief "thanks, I thought I was dead".

"No problem Chomper" replied Ruphus as he placed Chomper back on the ground. Sculra watched Ruphus from the over end. She was glaring furiously at Chomper.

"So Sura is adopting Sharpteeth now?" she asked in a mocking voice.

"No" replied Ruphus simply.

"Leave it up to her to let a Sharptooth do the dirty work" Sculra hissed angrily.

"I was actually the one to put Sura's idea into practice" said Ruphus "but this little ledge here" he pointed to the ledge they were on "prevented me from doing the job myself" growled Ruphus.

Sculra eyed him. "Well I always like a bloke who does things for himself" she said.

Ruphus was dumbstruck. Even now after he tried to kill her she still liked him. He stared opened mouthed at her.

"Never the less I will have payment for this outrage with the destruction of your eggs tonight" continued Sculra.

Ruphus felt a cold feeling of dread take him at her words and suddenly realised that what she was emplying, she had employed thieves to steal Sura's eggs on this night. "Oh no" he said in horror.

"Chomper climb on my back quick!" cried Ruphus as he lowered himself down. Chomper did as he was told, as he too got the message that Sculra had said.

Ruphus looked back "At least this is the only way into this valley, so I don't think I'll be seeing you again" mocked Ruphus and he turned and sped back along the trail toward the nest. But he did not here Sculra's last words "Don't be to sure about that" she had whispered in a venomous voice as Ruphus disappeared out of sight.

Ozzy and Strut advanced quickly and stealthily toward the Swimmer's nest unnoticed by anyone. There was seven eggs in all. 'We'll take three of the eggs and hide them come back to later then will take the rest" said Ozzy. Strut nodded and grabbed one egg while Ozzy grabbed two from the nest and sped off to hide them.

Ruphus sped through the Valley as fast as his legs could carry him with Chomper on his back. Ruphus was panting heavily but he was still a mile from the nest and by that time it could be to late. Chomper was equally worried but he also felt a little guilty that he had been unable to finish Sculra off. "But at least she is trapped in that valley" thought Chomper but he was still worried about the eggs. Ruphus performed an alarm call as loud as he could to warn the valley of the danger.

Ozzy and Strut arrived back at the nest. Strut was now very tired after his sprint to the bushes by the waterhole where they had hidden the eggs. "Couldn't we just go I'm tired" he complained. Ozzy gave his brother a firm lash with his tail in reply as he gathered two more eggs from the nest. Strut followed,  moaning miserably as he went pick up the last two eggs but at that very moment Ruphus's alarm call echoed loudly throughout the Valley. Strut jumped in surprise. "An alarm call, there is danger about" he said in fear.

Ozzy ran up to his brother and hissed furiously "The danger is us rock head, we've been spotted! Now let's get out of here while we still can!" and with that the two Egg Stealers ran off.

Merri had awoken and looked around in confusion. She heard the alarm call and instantly woke the children who were hardly awake. Merri leapt up. "Quickly, everyone into the stream" she said firmly. The children ran in. Merri counted each of the children and saw that they were all present but then she remembered. "The eggs!" she cried and ran to the nest to find only two eggs left.

Ruphus and Chomper arrived at the nest accompanied by Topps, Ariel and Grandpa Longneck who had all come to his aid. He saw Merri run up to him "the eggs!" she cried.

Ruphus gasped. "The thieves got away?" he asked. Merri nodded in dismay.

"Oh no they didn't" said Chomper who took a deep sniff of the air and directed the grown-ups in the direction that Ozzy and Strut had fled.

Ozzy ran on unhindered but Strut was panting with exhaustion, he was hardly keeping up with his brother "Ozz!" he called but his voice was not loud enough to reach his brother. Strut collapsed to the ground in exhaustion. He then heard the sounds of footsteps. He turned and saw four adults and one small Sharptooth arrive and in a split second he was surrounded.

"That's one of them!" said Chomper as they surrounded Strut. Ruphus went up to the egg eater and said in a low, firm voice "Where are my mate's eggs?" he asked. Strut was tempted to fib but the sight of the large Threehorn make him reconsider. "I'll take you to them" he blurted out in fear.

"Oh we will make sure you will" said Topps firmly, walking up behind Strut and forcing him to his legs with his horn "now show us the way!" he bellowed.

Strut walked ahead of the grown-ups as he led them to the place where the eggs were hidden.

Ozzy stood panting at the place where he had hidden the eggs, a large bush next to the watering hole. He placed the eggs in the bush and took a long drink. It was only then that he noticed Strut's absence.

"Strut! Strut!" he called furiously but his brother was nowhere to be seen. Ozzy was about to go looking for him but then he heard the adults approaching. He hid in the bush but he was shocked to see Strut leading the adults towards him, he also noticed Chomper and recognised him as the little Sharptooth that he had once tried to eat as an egg. Ozzy grabbed as many of the eggs as he could and made a break for the water in an attempt to escape but he had not counted on a Swimmer being there.

Ruphus dived into the water when he saw the egg stealer rush from his hiding place behind a bush with two eggs and within a few seconds he had grabbed Ozzy and pulled the struggling egg eater to the shore, upon which Ariel took hold of the eggs and snatched them away from Ozzy, she also grabbed the rest of the eggs from the bush, and after counting them she announced that they were all here.

The adult's then rounded on the egg stealers. "Did you really think that you could steal eggs from a Valley resident!" growled Topps furiously. Ozzy and Strut cowered before him, afraid about what would happen to them.

Ruphus stood up and spoke "Sculra hired them, I say we banish these two cronies." The adults looked a little surprised that Ruphus was not pushing for them to be killed and when Mr Threehorn asked why he said firmly "I do not want to become a killer on account of these two".

Grandpa longneck nodded in agreement. "Well it was your choice of what to do with them" he said to Ruphus. He turned and addressed the egg eaters "We will take you to the pass" he said calmly "and you will then leave this Valley and never trouble it again lest you earn the fullness of our wrath". Ozzy and Strut nodded quickly. They did not want to turn down this act of kindness.

"Fine" said Ozzy "we will never come to this Valley anymore, there's plenty of other places out there anyway" he said reluctantly.

While Mr Threehorn and Grandpa Longneck guided the two egg stealers to the pass, Ariel flew back to her nest and Merri and Ruphus along with Chomper returned the eggs back to the nest.

By now Chomper was totally spent. Ruphus approached him. "Thank you for your help tonight Chomper" he said.

Chomper looked up at Ruphus with a surprised expression "But I failed in-".

"You helped saved our eggs Chomper and that is more important then Sculra, we are very grateful for your help, we will never forget it" said Ruphus in a compassionate voice.  

"Thank you" said Chomper "good night" he said and he began his trip to the Secret Caverns even though he was exhausted.

But Ruphus stopped him "You are more then welcome to stay here for the night" he said.

Chomper looked at him in astonishment, he had never been asked by any of the Valley adults to sleep with their family's. Because many of them still did not trust him enough but now Chomper was honoured that he had earned the trust of the Swimmer's. "Thank you" he said gratefully.

Ruphus laid himself down, Chomper laid down near his tail and fell asleep almost immediately. Ruphus smiled at the Sharptooth who had helped him before he yawned and fell asleep. "At least the eggs are safe and Sculra is out of the way" thought Ruphus before he fell asleep. Little did he know that he was right about the eggs but was wrong about Sculra but now the danger had passed for the residents in the Valley but there was still danger for both Sura and Ducky in the future.

Who knew that so many crazy things could happen in one night, but at least Sculra will be out of action until the day of the Trials.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I bet she is gonna be killed by Sura or by something Sura does.  I just have that feeling.  Chomper won't be whacking a Flattooth after all.    :)

Maybe Ducky will win the trial and the Swimmers will turn on Sculra and kill her and make Sura the new leader.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Review of chapter 20:

Aww, lovely chapter! :yes

It's really nice to see Littlefoot and his friends remember all the things they had done together with Ducky. Only true friends can care for each other so much :)

The sunset scene with Littlefoot and Ali is just wonderful :smile I like the pairing of these two and you've written it so nice and cute :yes

I see Ruphus is trying to get Chomper to kill Sculra. I have a bad feeling about this but let's see what happens next :p

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I like the last chapter. It was a pretty intense chase and action scene.

Also, I like the reveal of Ruby's past. It's a pretty good justification about why she doesn't talk about her past.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback mates. I really enjoy writing this story. :yes

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
NOTE: MAJOR EDITING PERFORMED ON THIS CHAPTER

Chapter 23: Return to the Beginning

The two Swimmer's walked next to the fast water on their journey to the Big Water but they were heading towards a confusing delta where the fast water split into many other streams and not all of them would lead to the Big Water.

Sura was limping, her leg had long since stopped bleeding but when Sura had changed the leaf's that she used as bandages, the previous night while Ducky slept. The wound was scabbed and caked in dried blood but Sura's worst fears were confirmed when she saw that the wound had turned yellow, which could only mean that it was infected. Sura used her own knowledge of herbs to help with the healing but they were slow acting and all the traveling that Sura was doing did not help the healing process.

Sura was getting used to the burning pain that she constantly felt when her foot touched the ground. But Sura was also feeling more and more tired each day and it became a struggle to keep moving. The only thing that kept her going was Ducky. She did not want to leave her. So she swallowed the pain no matter how bad it was, she would not give up, for Ducky's sake she had to push on.

Ducky was really worried about her mother, she watched her mother's suffering increase each day and while her mother told her that she would be fine, Ducky knew that she really wasn't and it frightened her, she did not want her mother to suffer like she was at present.

The two Swimmers moved on in silence until they reached the delta where they both stopped. Ducky looked around at each of the water paths and dismayed. "Which way do we go now? I hope that we do not get lost I do, I do" she thought.

Sura looked at each of the paths. There was one that led straight ahead, there were two that went right and three that went left and one that headed back in the direction that they had come. Sura assessed her options, she knew that a delay would be costly for both her and Ducky which meant that she had to pick the right one, first time. She walked ahead and into the water and looked down each path and tried to see where they flowed.

"Where do we go?" came Ducky's nervous voice from behind her.

"I'm not sure dear" replied Sura in the calmest voice that she could muster. Her daughter was beginning to panic and she was faring no better, there were so many paths and only one would take them to their destination while the others would lead them astray. "I feel like I've made this type of choice very often" reflected Sura. It was true that Sura was indeed faced with many vital choices in the past few weeks and she hardly knew if her decisions were right, she just tried to follow her heart in the hope that it will guide her down the right path.

Sura knew going back was out of the question so she ruled out the path that headed backwards and she had a vague understanding of where the far left and right rivers went and neither of them would take her to the Big Water. Which left three paths. One in the straight onward direction, one that veered left and another that headed right. Sura waded other to each of those paths and inspected them closely. They all appeared to head in the general direction of the Big Water. Sura felt dismayed "Where to go" she thought to herself. Suddenly Sura noticed a small root that reached into the stream on the right. Sura laughed and suddenly knew which way to go.

"What is it?" asked Ducky who had swam up beside her.

"The root" chuckled Sura. "I recognise it from when I was younger, Merri fell into this very river when she tried to cross the stream on that rotten tree root" said Sura "We go right dear, come along." Sura and Ducky waded back to shore and climbed onto the bank and proceeded to follow the river that flowed to the right.

They followed the river for a while, passing nothing but wetlands and an occasional forest. Sura grimaced in pain as walked, closing her eyes tightly due the pain and hence didn't see the rock ahead of her. Sura tripped and fell on her belly where she lay groaning in pain.

"Mama!" exclaimed Ducky in alarm. She ran to her mother who she was shocked to see that her mother had tears falling down her eyes. Ducky looked fearful as she grabbed her mother's finger as it was the only thing that she could actually hold. "Are you ok?" she asked.

Sura took a few deep breaths before she answered "I will be alright" said Sura, trying to not to worry her daughter but without success.

"Please rest" said Ducky in obvious distress at her mother's collapse.

"No" said her mother in firm voice. "I will not stop just because I am hurt" she said.

"Pleeeaaaassse" begged Ducky "you are hurt-ed badly you are, you are".

Sura took hold of her daughter’s hand "I will stop...."

Ducky looked relieved but it was only short lived

"When we reach the Big Water" said Sura.

And with that she pulled herself up on trembling legs. Ducky gasped, she looked very fearful now. "Come on dear" said Sura in a reassuring voice before moving on.

By nightfall Sura was trembling all over, her fists clenched and she gritted her teeth whenever a tremor ran through her leg, which was all the time now. There were tears in her eyes from the effort, she was totally exhausted now. She had been through hard times before but this topped all of them and the fear that she would not survive her injury was growing. Ducky was worried as well but there was nothing that she could do to stop her mother from continuing the journey.

Ducky yawned. "I am tired I am I am" she said, feeling sleepy.

Sura noticed this, she had not realised that her daughter was just as tired as her now. She looked around for a suitable sleeping spot. But Ducky continued to walk, she was nearly asleep when she started walking up a small slope. She suddenly tripped and fell onto the ground but no sound left her mouth as she fell asleep.

Sura turned around when she heard a small thump and found that she could not see Ducky. "Ducky!" said Sura in alarm, looking around for her daughter and finding her fast asleep in what appeared to be an old nest that was used for holding eggs but was now completely empty. Sura laid down next to the nest and after giving Ducky a soft nuzzle and saying "goodnight" to her, she fell to the ground and was instantly asleep despite the pain in her leg, she was just too exhausted to continue today.

It was early afternoon when Sura awoke feeling much more refreshed then she had been when she had gone to sleep, there was way less pain in her leg and it appeared to be slowly on the mend. Sura looked at Ducky to find her was still asleep, still exhausted from the previous day's travel. Sura looked at the nest that Ducky was asleep in. It was long deserted and had a few dried up leaves covering the bottom of the nest which seemed to provide suitable warmth and comfort to the sleeping Ducky.

Sura examined her surroundings. They were right next to the river, which was flowing slowly here. A small pond was also next to the nest, it was filled with crystal clear water. The area was populated by a few trees, reeds as well as other ponds which were very abundant in this area which appeared to be completely deserted.

"Whoever made this nest obviously had good taste" thought Sura. There was something familiar about this place but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Sura watched her daughter sleeping soundly. She smiled and gently nuzzled her, but accidently waking Ducky up in the process. Ducky opened her eyes and yawned before raising herself and stretching.

"Good morning dear" said Sura softly.

"Morning mommy" said Ducky. She looked around "This is a nice place it is, it is" said Ducky who sat back down and curiously took in the scenery around her.

Sura was sure that she recognised this place. She looked at the base of the nest and saw a piece of eggshell at the base of the nest, next to her.

Suddenly Sura knew.

She looked at the position she was in, it was the same as it had been so long ago, she looked at Ducky who was curiously looking around at the scenery just like she did once before. Sura smiled and pressed her muzzle under Ducky's chin and gave her a loving nuzzle, while humming softly just like she had done on that day when she was watching her first clutch of eggs hatch and here she was repeating the same actions that she had performed when Ducky had hatched with some parallels of course. Mainly both her and Ducky being older and of course the wound on Sura's leg and the absence of the rest of the family.

"Mama" giggled Ducky.

Sura hummed and stroked her daughter's back.

"Mama" laughed Ducky "stop it, it tickles it does…… it does" Ducky laughed loudly. Sura disengaged and grinned playfully at Ducky, she chuckled to herself. Ducky looked at her mother, she also wore a grin just like she had after her mother had disengaged after she hatched.

"Ducky" said Sura "Do you know where we are now?" she asked.

"Oh we are in an old nest we are, we are" said Ducky cheerfully.

Sura chuckled "I suppose we are" she said "but do you know the significance of this place?" asked Sura.

Ducky shook her head and her mother's smile widened.

"Ducky" she said reaching her hand to the base of the nest and to Ducky's surprise her mother laid a few large egg fragments into the nest. Ducky looked at them curiously. Her mother continued "these egg fragments came from an egg that was laid in this very nest". Sura paused and looked at her daughter, her expression conveyed her kindness, love, compassion and the caring that she had for her daughter. "This was your egg dear" she said softly.

Ducky looked with amazement at the nest and the surroundings as if she had only just noticed them then she looked back at the egg. "I came from this egg?" she asked, looking up at her mother, who nodded. "How did I ever fit in that egg?" she asked in astonishment.

Sura laughed "You were much smaller then you are now dear," she said "when you hatched you were as high as your thigh."

Ducky looked at her thigh. "I was?" she asked in amazement.

Sura nodded. "This was your birth place Ducky."

Ducky looked around at the nest then asked her mother "how did I hatch?"

Sura stared off into the distance as she recalled the memory "well dear it was a day just like today......

Sura lay in front of the nest, inside were eight eggs. She had waited very patiently for many weeks for them to hatch and now she was sure that they would hatch soon, she had begun to hear a few squeaks from the eggs. "Yes it will be soon" thought Sura. Merri was a short distance away keeping guard as it was her shift and Ruphus was eating some of the underwater green food that grew in the river next to the nest.

Sura became very serious about keeping a watch over the nest after she had heard about the attack on the herd by The Great Sharptooth and while she had not been there, she had heard what had happened. He had killed at least fifteen adults, devoured at least half of the herd’s children and smashed all the eggs he could find, only three nest's including hers had been spared. Sura's nest was mainly spared because of the isolation and distance it was from the herd’s nests which had been attacked. Sura thought she had definitely made the right choice for a nesting site. The river provided a quick escape route and the small pond beside the nest would make an excellent nursery for the children and would also protect them from any Swimming Sharpteeth.

Sura was determined to be a good parent and love all of her children, she believed that she had prepared herself adequately, she had baby sat many of the herds children in order to prepare herself for raising her own children. She had got much advice from the other parents in the herd.

Sura hummed calmly as she nuzzled her eggs.

CRACK!

Sura looked down and saw the egg in the centre of the nest crack. Two small webbed, light green, three toed feet emerged and as if on cue all the other eggs started rocking. There was another small crack from the egg and from in between the feet emerged the head of the baby and with a second crack the tail which was coloured light green with a dark green line going along the back and the underside was coloured a light yellow, now Sura could see that this was a girl and that she was now a mother. The little baby opened her eyes. They were a bright light blue and seemed to contain lots of love. Sura smiled as she saw the other eggs start to crack but the little girl held her tiny arms out of the egg, each had four fingers on the end of the hand.

The baby reached out to a small mosquito that hovered above the nest. She opened her mouth and squeaked as she tried to touch the insect and accidently sliding down outside the nest. Sura decided to keep an eye on her, Ruphus was already watching the rest of the eggs. Sura watched the baby hop in the egg after the mosquito, through a rotten log. As the baby emerged she fell down a small slope and the egg shattered, releasing the whole body.

The baby caught sight of a small water rat and wagging her tail in excitement she jumped on its back. The water rat ran off but the baby followed, running almost as fast. Sura felt a surge of pride that her newborn daughter could already run, which was very rare since most babies couldn’t even walk.  She continued to watch, she saw her little one trip and fall on her tail next to a snapping turtle.

Sura looked on in alarm as the beast opened his jaws, Sura rushed toward the turtle but the turtle did not attack it simply waited for the baby's curiosity to take her into its open mouth. Sura quickly bent her head and caught her daughter’s tail in her beak and pulled herself up just before the turtle snapped its jaws shut.

Sura sighed in relief, she could tell that this one was going be a handful, she was just like her when she was young.

"Mama?" said the baby Swimmer.

Sura's eyes widened in astonishment as her daughter spoke her first word, just after she had hatched. Sura felt the same surge of pride that she had felt before. She walked back to the nest and laid down, she could see that the rest of the eggs had hatched, there were two browns, both boys, one light and the other dark and three greens, two girls, one light, the other dark and the other baby was a boy, also coloured a light green, mustard cross. There was also baby boy who had the same brown and green colouration as Ruphus and girl that had a reddish orange colouration. Sura gently lowered her daughter into the nest. She smiled and nuzzled her little daughter while Ruphus nuzzled the young on the other side of the nest. Sura hummed lovingly and disengaged.

"Hello my little Ducky" she said softly before giving her a gentle lick then proceeding to nuzzle the rest of her children. “You’re a mother” said Ruphus gently.

“You’re a father” replied Sura. The two exchanged joyous looks then turned their attention back to the nest. The babies were already looking around curiously at the scenery and each other.

Sura spotted the other light green Swimmer, identical to Ducky except her eyes which were a deeper shade of blue. “Hello Opal” said Sura, nuzzling her little one who gave a few happy squeaks.

The dark brown boy was looking around the nest but he had a very boastful demeanour. “That’s Rapid” said Ruphus, nuzzling his son “and you’re Echo” he said to the light brown Swimmer who appeared to be the most curious of all, he reminded his father of how he used to be.

“Come on dear we’ve got to bathe them” said Sura, but there was a sudden squeak as one of the babies slid down the nest and onto the sandy shore, it was the orange reddish Swimmer girl, but as she fell into the sand she found that she rather liked it there and started to roll around contently, getting her yolk covered body encrusted with sand. She let a several happy laughs.

“Oh you’re a playful girl aren’t you Sandy” said Sura who proceeded to tickle Sandy’s exposed belly causing the little Swimmer to burst into laughter. Sura then gently picked her up then bathed her in the water. Sandy splashed about in the water, enjoying herself greatly while mother rinsed the sand off her body.

The other hatchlings watched their sister play with excitement. One of them, the greenish brown in his eagerness stretched himself out too far and with a yelp he started rolling down the slope of the nest and into the water where he joined his sister in her mirth. “Nice move Spinner” chuckled Ruphus to the little Swimmer before picking up the dark green girl and the light green boy and taking them to the pond.

Suddenly the dark green girl leapt from her father’s hands in sheer excitement and fell into the water in a perfectly straight dive. She surfaced with a happy squeak. “Diver, you little rascal” teased her father before lowering himself beside Sura and held the light green boy in his arms.

“What shall we name him?” he asked.

Sura looked closely at the little one before giving her son a gentle nuzzle “You’re my little Ray” she said gently before her mate placed him in the water. Only Ducky was still in the nest.

“Hello little one” said a voice behind them. Sura and Ruphus turned to see Merri nuzzling Ducky who was hugging her aunt’s beak contently.

“That’s Ducky” said Sura to her sister who nodded.

“Oh you are a beautiful little one aren’t you” she said before tickling Ducky’s belly. Ducky laughed hard and wagged her tail like mad while she was tickled until Merri disengaged and brought her niece to the pond and placed her in the water with her siblings. The hatchlings played and splashed while the adults watched with smiles on their faces. “There beautiful aren’t they” said Merri to which Ruphus nodded in agreement.

“Yes,” said Sura “yes they are” This was by no doubt the most memorable experience that she had ever had and she cherished it. She swore to herself that day that she would never let any of her babies come to harm.

"And that is how you were born dear" finished Sura. Ducky listened the whole while to her mother.

"That was a great story mama it was, it was. Thank you mama" said Ducky.

"Thank you dear" said Sura. She looked up and saw how late in the day it was. "I think that we shall stay here for the night" she said to Ducky.

"Yep, yep, yep" said Ducky cheerfully and then slid down the slope of the nest then going a double summersault before diving into the water, she surfaced and began to play in the small pond. She splashed her mother playfully and her mother splashed her back. The two played and laughed happily as for a moment things were exactly what they used to be like before the announcement of The Trial. Sura knew that she would remember this day for as long as she lived and she also knew that she would stay true to the vowel and make sure that none of her babies ever come to harm.

Well there you have the next chapter and another version of Ducky's birth. Hope you like it.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
will stop just because I am hurt
- don't you mean "won't"?

I like this chapter. More development on Ducky's past is always a good thing.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
Chapter 24: Unpleasant Situations

Sura was looking way more better when she and Ducky resumed their journey in the morning, the herbs that she had applied had worked well during there rest period. Now that her leg was healing nicely, Sura could make up for lost time. Ducky kept pace with her mother, she was so glad that her mother's leg was healing as she had been so worried. The two began walking through thick foliage, trees and long reeds which were as tall as Sura's waist.

All seemed quiet. Suddenly they both heard a loud commotion up ahead. They peeked through the reeds that grew by the waters edge and beheld a herd of Spiketails drinking at the stream. Sura and Ducky suddenly recognised the herd when the saw the small brown Spiketail kid drinking.

"It's Tippy!" cried Ducky in excitement. Sura sighed in relief, it would be safe to reveal themselves to this herd. They emerged from the reeds and headed for the Spiketails at a brisk pace but all of a sudden a large dark purple Spiketail hiding unseen behind some nearby trees charged out of some bushes and rammed Sura from the side. Sura gave a yell of pain as the cut on her leg split open when she hit the ground.

"MAMA!" cried Ducky in horror, she ran in front of the purple Spiketail and put herself between him and her mother.

"Ducky No!" shouted her mother firmly. But Ducky uncharacteristically held her ground, she was not going to stand by and let her mother get trampled.

"Leave my mom alone!" cried Ducky bravely.

The purple fixed cold hard eyes on her. Ducky stepped back in fright. The purple Spiketail advanced on her, Ducky ran back to her mother, who had recovered from her fall and was now standing beside Ducky in a defensive stance. The Spiketail laughed and advanced on them.

"STOP!" shouted a voice. Everyone turned to see a large dark blue Spiketail appear, he looked livid. "What do you think your doing!?" he yelled at the purple Spiketail.

"Intruders Sir" he said plainly.

The blue Spiketail glared at the purple Spiketail. He was just about to give his deputy a harsh lecture on the difference between intruders and everyone else in general but an orange female Spiketail stood beside him along with her son and looked at the Swimmers, her eyes widened and her mouth fell open in astonishment.

"Sura?" she asked quietly.

"Sura smiled "Hello Orina" she said "nice to see you again.

"Ducky!?" said Tippy, he looked as shocked as his mother.

"Yes yes yes" said Ducky nodding. "Hi Tippy" she said in joy.

"You fool, those aren't intruders, they are friends" said the Spiketail leader.

"But there're Swimmers" said the deputy.

"I know there're Swimmers" growled the leader of the Spiketails "But they are friends of this herd, so shut up and stand down, before I make you!".

The purple Spiketail looked rebellious but he slowly stood aside and walked off in shame. Meanwhile Orina and Tippy had gone to meet up with Sura and Ducky.

"It is wonderful to you two again" said Orina "But what are you doing here?"

While Sura briefly explained about the Trial of Destiny and her quest to find Cyrest to Orina, Ducky and Tippy met up with each other.

"Tippy missed you Ducky and Spike too" said Tippy.

"I missed you to Tippy I did I did" replied Ducky happily.

"How is everyone in the Valley? How is Spike?" asked Tippy eagerly, his tail wagging with excitement.

Ducky hesitated "Last I saw they were okay" said Ducky slowly as she remembered her final days in the Great Valley and her fiends parting.

Tippy did not seem too register Ducky's pause, he grinned happily. Ducky smiled, she was glad that Tippy was happy and did not have the terrible knowledge about her Trial heaped upon him. Ducky hugged Tippy's snout and Tippy nuzzled her back.

But Ducky's attention was suddenly diverted by a painful moan from her mother. Ducky turned to see her laying on the ground and holding on to her leg. Ducky could now see the gash that had so recently been healed, open and bleeding again.

"Oh no no no" said Ducky, running to her mother's side. Orina had also noticed the cut.

"That looks like a nasty wound there Sura, curse that deputy for hurting you" said Orina angrily.

"I acquired it a few days ago" said Sura "in a fight with a Belly Dragger".

Orina shook her head "and the cut is bleeding again" she groaned "Sura you and Ducky can stay with us for the night, we'll help you heal that leg and of course there is safety in numbers".

Sura nodded "Thank you" she said gratefully.

The rest of the day passed all to quickly for Ducky, the Spiketails helped her mother in healing her leg while she got to play with Tippy. She had so much fun with him that she almost completely forgot about the Trial. So it was all to soon that her mother called her to her side to have dinner.

"Your leg looks way betterer" commented Ducky as she looked at her mother's leg which was bound by fresh leaves.

"It feels more better as well" said Sura.

"This was a good day yep yep yep"

Sura smiled "I'm glad you had a good day dear, but we will be leaving tomorrow" she said.

Ducky looked a little downcast "do we have to?" she asked in a saddened voice.

"I'm afraid so dear" replied Sura. "We are not that far from the Big Water dear and with any luck we should reach it by tomorrow".

Ducky nodded. "I hope we find this Swimmer I do I do" said Ducky.

"So do I" agreed Sura. She hoped that this would not be a wasted trip because she had certainly got more then what she bargained for.

"Mama?"

"Yes Ducky?"

"Do you know anything about Swayer?"

Sura looked bewildered, she did not expect her daughter to enquire about this. "Why do you ask?"

"I said that I have had sleep stories about him, he told me not to give up hope" said Ducky "I just wondered if you knew anything about him".

Sura took a deep breath. "Ducky, I did not really know Swayer, I only saw him once before and that was after I arrived in the Great Valley for the first time, before you returned. But I do know dear that he took the Trial of Destiny but he did not survive".

Ducky opened her mouth in shock, her eyes watered and she looked down sadly "You mean he's dead?" she asked, a few tears fell from her eyes.

"Yes, I'm so sorry dear" said Sura with remorse. She put her hand around Ducky and cuddled her softly to her beak. "Don't cry dear, it's all right" said Sura softly. Ducky broke off, she was no longer crying but she appeared to be way more depressed.

"Come Ducky, it's time for sleep" said Sura quietly, guiding her daughter to her body. Ducky laid down and her mother curled around her but sleep did not come to Ducky. She was still in shock, Swayer had appeared to be so nice and friendly but to hear that he was long since dead, hit her hard. "Why?" she asked herself. She did not understand why such a kind Swimmer had to die. Ducky shifted restlessly, it was a very long time before sleep came to her.

Ducky sat on the rocky surface looking into a small puddled of water which was being filled by steady drops of falling rain, this cheerless environment seemed to reflect the way that Ducky was feeling, she just could not believe what her mother had said.

"Ducky" came a sympathetic voice behind her. Ducky did not want to look around, she knew who that voice belonged to. But she forced herself to turn her head and look at the dark green Swimmer that had counselled her in her dreams.

Swayer sat beside her and placed a hand on her shoulder. The touch felt real to Ducky but she knew the truth now and it was almost impossible to accept.

"How can you be...d...d...dead" said Ducky, she was chocking back sobs as she spoke. "You can not be no....no.......no".

Swayer gave Ducky a sad smile. "so you know the truth now" he said in a bitter voice. "I did take that Trial but I did not make it".

"How can you be here? Why are you here?" asked Ducky.

"I don't completely know myself how I am here but I do know why I am here" said Swayer.

"Why?" asked Ducky.

"To help you survive the Trial". Ducky looked at Swayer "Ducky I have watched you, your such a kind and loving Swimmer just like me. So is you mom. I can't stand that this Trial should continue killing off Swimmers like you, so I am here to try and help you overcome the Trial, I do not want to see you dead anymore then your mom" said Swayer.

Ducky looked at Swayer, she hardly knew what to say. So she did not say anything, she pulled Swayer into a loving hug. "Thank you for helping me, oh thank you thank you thank you" stuttered Ducky.

Swayer smiled at her. "I will say now that the rock we are standing on" he gestured to the rock "is the Crescent Caves, where your Trial shall take place."

"What is the Trial like" asked Ducky in a nervous voice.

Swayer gave her a grim look "it is very scary and cold, your mom can help you survive this but there is an unknown danger that only someone who has done "this" Trial knows" he said and he grabbed hold of Ducky's hand and all of a sudden the scenery changed. They were floating inside the Crescent Caves. But there were two Swayer's one next to Ducky and the other Swimming frantically through the caves. Ducky suddenly realised that she was looking inside Swayer's memory of the Trial.

"Look" said Swayer and he pointed to a dark passage. Ducky watched and suddenly saw a sharp movement. The head of a large eel like Swimming Sharptooth, the same as the one that she had seen in her nightmare swam out of the passage and headed for Swayer. There was a flash of bright light and Ducky was back in the previous location she had been earlier, atop the Crescent Caves. She was breathing hard and fast and looked horrified. Now she understood why no one had survived the Trial, they had all been eaten by that Swimming Sharptooth.

"Use this information wisely Ducky" came Swayer's voice but it sounded very distant. Ducky was suddenly aware of the scenery dissolving around her, she cave a cry of surprise before everything turned black.

Ducky jumped suddenly awake. She looked around to find her mother laying next to her, she was also wide awake. But she had not appeared to notice Ducky as she was deep in conversation with Tippy's mom. Ducky yawned and stretched her legs before getting up. Sura turned around.

"Good morning Ducky" she said in a lively voice.

Ducky looked around and noticed that the Spiketails were starting to head off. "What's going on?" she asked curiously.

"We are leaving little one" said Orina

"Yes" said Sura "and we will be leaving as well in a short while".

Ducky looked a little alarmed, it all was happening to fast for her, surely they were not going to leave now? But that motion was confirmed when she heard a loud voice call "Spiketails follow me".

Tippy and his mother were the only ones saying goodbye to them. Tippy ran up to Ducky and gave her a friendly lick, Ducky laughed before embracing Tippy's snout. "Good bye Ducky, say hello to Spike for me" said Tippy.

"I will I will" replied Ducky "Goodbye" she called. She and her mother watched the Spiketail herd leave until they were nothing more then a bunch of specks on the horizon.

"Here you go darling" said Sura, handing Ducky a few tree stars which Ducky accepted hungrily. When she finished eating she and her mother resumed their journey.

Sura and Ducky walked beside the river for a short while before a loud rumble could be heard and the ground started to shake. "Earthshake!?" cried Ducky nervously.

"Quickly Ducky into the stream and stay low" said her mother in a strict voice.

Ducky obeyed and dived under the water, followed by her mother. They lay there beneath the water, which was very murky and had a lot of green algae on the surface. Ducky wondered why her mother had done this but the answer became apparent when she looked out of the water and saw to her horror. Red Claw, Screech and Thud.

They approached the stream, sniffing intently. They were looking for them. Screech gestured to the water and he and Thud went in and started taking a drink but Red Claw was staring into the water, looking for them. The stream was shallow but it was murky and Ducky and Sura's colouration helped them blend in with the surroundings. Ducky dared an upwards look and saw that Red Claw was looking right down at her. Ducky froze, her heart skipped a beat. Had she been seen? Red Claw bend down closer and appeared to be straining his eyes at the water. For a while he just stood there staring into the water and Ducky was totally petrified with fear, she dare not move.

Finally Red Claw roared to his two henchmen and they left.

Ducky raised herself from the water breathing fearfully, Sura waded to her and picked her up in her hands.

"That was to close" she said.

"Yep yep yep" said Ducky quietly.

Sura waded through the stream for most of the rest of the day with Ducky in her arms, in case any more Sharpteeth were around. Finally at dusk they started to here the sound of crashing waves.

"The Big Water" said Ducky in excitement.

Sura sighed with relief, knowing that the journey was nearly at an end.

"What's that?" said Ducky, pointing to her left and into a large semi circle canyon which appeared to shine brightly with light.

Sura was curious and walked out of the water and after placing Ducky on the ground, advanced towards the shining canyon.

When they got there, the sight that greeted the two Swimmers filled them with awe. It was a canyon of shiny stones. Crystals littered the ground and walls of the cliff. Sura saw a large overhang that sheltered the inner recesses of the canyon.

"Pretty" said Ducky in delight, she ran over to some diamonds and ruby's "it's beautiful" she said. There were all kinds of crystals here, there were ruby's, diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, jasper, geode's and many more, they all sparkled with a brilliant radiance in the setting sun.    

Sura agreed that it was a most amazing sight, the light of the evening sun reflected off the crystals and made the canyon appear to shine. "Wow" said Sura in astonishment, it was simply a breath taking sight.

"Can I have one? Please" asked Ducky.

Sura chuckled. "We can come back here on the return journey dear, but not right now".

Ducky groaned "But I-"
Ducky never got to finish off her sentence when she was cut off by a loud roar.

"ROAR!!"

Ducky and Sura wheeled around to find a pair of brown fast biters blocking the way out of the canyon. Ducky screamed and ran behind her mother. Sura took up a defensive stance but she knew that she was in big trouble now, she now realised the magnitude of her own folly in going into a canyon that they could be so easily trapped in. The river was a little way away but it was past the two rapidly advancing fast biters.

"Ducky when I distract them I want you to run to the river do you understand me?" said Sura firmly.

"I am not going to leave you nope nope nope" said Ducky.

"Ducky" said her mother firmly "GO NOW!!" Sura charged at the fast biters, distracting them away from her daughter but one jumped in front of Ducky.

Sura retreated taking Ducky up in her hands. The two fast biters closed in. "Oh no oh no oh no" squealed Ducky.

"Ducky don't come back for me dear, just get out of here when you get to the river" said Sura and before Ducky could protest Sura threw Ducky into the air. Ducky screamed as she flew through the air and over the heads of the two fast biters, she then plunged into the safety of river.

"Good" thought Sura. She would at least know that Ducky was safe.

Ducky swam to the surface and swam to the shore where she struggled from the water and watched the fight with fear in her heart. Her mother was trapped in a canyon. She was outclassed and outnumbered by the two fast biters. Ducky watched one of the fast biters charge at her mother.  

Sura dealt the charging fast biter a belt with her tail, but it did not stop it's partner who leaped into the air and slammed into her belly, claws piecing her skin. Sura toppled to the ground on her belly with a yell of pain, she was now bleeding badly from the fast biters attack. The fast biter jumped on her back and bit down on her shoulder while the other fast biter took a bite out of the left side of her back. Sura screamed in pain as her life's blood gushed out of her "So this is how it ends" thought Sura "at least Ducky is safe".

"MAMA NOOOO!!!!" screamed Ducky, she could not bear to watch her mother being eaten alive, she had to do something. So she ran back into the canyon and picked up one of the round diamonds and threw it at the fast biters. Her aim was true as the fast biter on her mother's back got hit in the head. The fast biters turned his head to her, snarling viciously.

"Ducky NO!" cried Sura, she could not believe what her daughter was doing. "Get out of here NOW!!" she yelled.

The wounded fast biter looked at his partner and exchanged a few words with him in the sharptooth language then instead of going after Ducky, they headed for Sura. One pulled Sura's head up by her crest and the other, the one who had been hit by Ducky's throw, placed his claw across Sura's exposed neck.

Ducky froze, her heart was in her mouth as she saw what the fast biters were about to do. "Mommy!" she cried in despair. Tear streamed down her eyes. The wounded fast biter sliced his claw slowly and gradually across Sura's throat drawing blood. He was determined to show the little Swimmer what happens when you mess with fast biters.

Ducky ran to her mother with a cry, she did not know how she was going to save her mother but she just had to try but before she could move a few feet. She fell to the ground as the earth rumbled and violently gave way to a violent earthquake. The rocks overhanging the canyon crumbled and fell directly down towards Sura and the fast biters. The canyon was suddenly filled with dust as the rocks came crashing to the ground with a sound like thunder. Then the earthquake stopped and all was silent.

Ducky got back to her feet and saw that the canyon was buried under a large pile of rocks.

"NOOOOOOOOO!!" screamed Ducky.

She scaled the wall of rocks and saw the limp tail of one of the fast biters buried under the rocks along with his partner. Ducky ran on. She was trying her best not to think about what had probably happened to her mother. She slid down the other side of the rock wall and found her mother laying on her belly, in a pool of blood, her throat was torn and bleeding, the fast biter had tripped when the earthquake stuck and his claw had scraped across Sura's throat. She was covered in dust and a few large rocks lay on her back.

Ducky ran to her mother's side. "Mommy" she cried in despair. But her mother suddenly opened her eyes and raised her head slightly to look at her. Ducky grabbed hold of her mother's beak and hugged her. "Oh Mama, I thought I lost you I did I did" she said in a small frightened voice.

Sura lifted her hand and placed it around Ducky and gave her a soft nuzzle. "Ducky" she said quietly "I want you to continue the journey, find Cyrest dear".

"No" said Ducky in horror "we will find him together we will we will". Ducky's face was being drenched with tears as she spoke.

"Ducky" said her mother "I always loved you......remember that and I am proud of you". Sura's breath was coming in gasps, and bloody gurgles.

Ducky gasped "Pleeeeaaaaassssse" she begged, holding on tightly to her mother's beak "do not go, oh no no no".

Sura had tears in her eyes as she spoke "I'll always be with you dear, just.......remember..........to never give up............hope" said Sura faintly. She nuzzled Ducky one last time before placing her head and hands gently back on the ground, her eyes closed and she was still.

"Mommy?....mommy!" cried Ducky as she watched her mother close her eyes. "Wake up mom!" cried Ducky desperately, she pushed her mother's beak firmly, yelled for her to wake up and even opened her eyelids but nothing roused her. The realisation came. Ducky froze on the spot and looked down to see the ground wet with her mother's warm blood, Ducky dropped to the ground and embraced her mother's beak and cried loudly. She felt more pain then she had ever experienced in her life and a wave of hopelessness descended upon her. She cuddled under her mother's hand and wept. "Was this how Littlefoot felt?" she asked herself in her head.

She could now understand the pain he went through after he lost his mother. Ducky laid with her mother as the night came and the temperature dropped, she could not bear to leave her. "It's all my fault" thought Ducky as she cried. She was the one who saw the canyon, if she had not notified her mother then....

Ducky cuddled her mother's beak, the beak that had always provided comfort when her mother nuzzled her. She cried hard into her hands. What would she do now? She was a young Swimmer alone in The Mysterious Beyond beside the body of her dead mother. Ducky hardly pondered these questions as she was completely wrapped up in despair at watching her mother die in front of her eyes. "Why?" she asked in pain. Why did the world have to so unfair? Ducky did not know, she just lay on her belly and buried her face in her hands.

Suddenly she heard footsteps approaching. Ducky got up and hid behind her mother's beak, shaking in fright. When she looked up again she caught sight of an old male Swimmer that had entered her field of view, he had a brown colouration and was covered in lined wrinkles due to his old age, he went other to her mother. He looked sad. Then he spotted Ducky. "Don't be afraid" he said in a kind voice as he lowered himself down to her. "I won't hurt you" he said in a reassuring voice.

Ducky walked slowly into the open, her face wet with tears.

"Are you alright?" he asked. Ducky looked up at the stranger then fell to the ground and began to cry. The Swimmer placed a hand over her back and nuzzled her softly.

"Sharpteeth attacked......Mommy save me, she foughted two fast biters........They hurt her........then the earthshake......then...." Ducky stuttered, she could no longer speak anymore.

"I see" said the Swimmer in understanding. He got up and walked over to Sura and placed his ear to her chest. Ducky watched him, she looked confused. The old Swimmer raised his head and looked at Ducky. "What is your name little one?" he asked.

"Ducky" she sobbed.

The Swimmer nodded then said "well then Ducky I think that we have a lot of work to do if we want to save your mother".

"Save my mom?" she asked, but wasn't she already dead?

"She is alive. but only just and she won't be if we don't help her" said the Swimmer.

Ducky gasped, she walked to her mother and placed her ear to her mother's chest and listened. She heard it, the faint beat of her mother's heart and she could hear her barely audible breathing.

Her mother was still alive.

Well that was an eventful chapter. Find out who the Swimmer is and if Sura survives her ordeal in the next few chapters.