The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

DarkWolf's Fanart Thread

DarkWolf91 · 427 · 63210

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I love your drawing of Pino.

I was having a hard time visualizing that character from the Journey to the Island Fanfic but you really enlightened me!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
:o

That could pass for final-stage concept art of a canon LBT character!

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow! That character could so be merged into the land before time world!

Awe-some! :D

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Sweet! Just sweet! Love the design of the character. ^^

Now, if it was fully shaded, it' would be even more awesome.  :lol:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It's just not fair to leave the feedback writers no room for constructive criticism! :p
Seriously, the expressions are just adorable! I wish I ever managed to draw a character looking so lovable :yes

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, I admit it; I DO have some constructive criticism for the artwork (not that it should be considered any less outstanding; trust me, no matter how excellent something is, I can ALWAYS find something to nitpick :p), but I'm not going to share it unless you want me to, DarkWolf. -_-

Again, AWESOME work. The expressions, the colors, the eyes (I particularly like the way the eyes look), everything. Seriously, if Universal ever started making LBT movies or TV episodes again (we wish :rolleyes), they should hire you as a concept artist. :yes

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Nice drawings indeed. You have good skill.

Thanks very much, Kor!

I was having a hard time visualizing that character from the Journey to the Island Fanfic but you really enlightened me!

Woohoo, glad to be helpful :smile

Wow! That character could so be merged into the land before time world!

Awe-some!

Ah, thank you Mumbling! I'm glad you think so! I tried my best to put a bit of research behind it :)

Sweet! Just sweet! Love the design of the character. ^^

Now, if it was fully shaded, it' would be even more awesome. :lol:

Thanks!
Well, I have been meaning to apply full shading to a few pictures... Here's to hoping I actually get around to it :lol

It's just not fair to leave the feedback writers no room for constructive criticism! :p
Seriously, the expressions are just adorable! I wish I ever managed to draw a character looking so lovable :yes

Haha, sorry! I'll try to do better next time :smile
And thank you, Malte! Searching for characteristic expressions is a lot of fun!

Okay, I admit it; I DO have some constructive criticism for the artwork (not that it should be considered any less outstanding; trust me, no matter how excellent something is, I can ALWAYS find something to nitpick :p ), but I'm not going to share it unless you want me to, DarkWolf. -_-

I would love to hear it! I've earned quite a critical eye for my own work over the years, but if you catch something I've missed I'll be quite grateful!

Seriously, if Universal ever started making LBT movies or TV episodes again (we wish :rolleyes ), they should hire you as a concept artist. :yes

Ah, I'm really flattered. I won't pretend that I haven't fancied working on production for LBT in the past! Who knows? Maybe one day the old series will be picked up by a studio again :) (If so, we can only hope it's for better, rather than worse :p )

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
-Hops up and down- Great work on Pino, Great work! :) I cant even describe how great she is :) And the rest of your pictures for that matter. I know i cant do the Pixel Petrie one on a laptop using the little mouse-pad thingy, whatever it's called :p

Once again, Great work! :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Sep 22 2009 on  05:08 PM
I would love to hear it! I've earned quite a critical eye for my own work over the years, but if you catch something I've missed I'll be quite grateful!
Okay, then; can't say I didn't warn you! :p

In the drawing on the left, Pino’s right leg looks to be in a very odd position, as if it is twisted at an angle diagonal to her body (ouch :o).

In the other picture, her right hand has three fingers, but her left appears to have only two. Her right leg also looks somewhat malformed, with no distinction between her thigh and her shin, and the connection of her shin to her ankle looks a little...strange. Additionally (and I suppose this could be considered more of an artistic preference), her toes and the claws on them make her feet look more like paws than what you would find on a sharptooth. Finally, the bunched skin on the underside of her tail looks somewhat like a pair of protruding lumps, rather than the flexion wrinkles I assume you were going for.

I can’t decide which image I like better, though. The non-outlined stripes on the left image look more natural, and the segments of her sail are angled slightly, such that they look more like the sail on the LBT XII Spinosaurus. I therefore prefer the left-hand drawing as far as those features are concerned. However, apart from the issue with the number of fingers, I like the arms on the right image better, and the same may go for the spines on her neck and tail. The heads, eyes, and expressions of both drawings are equally excellent. :D

I also love how you’ve managed to make Pino look so appealing, without distorting and infantilizing her proportions the way LBT typically does when it wants to design a “cute” sharptooth character, such as Chomper, or the hatchling fast biters in “The Great Egg Adventure”. In both cases, the characters have features like an oversized head and feet, stubby legs and tail, etc., which cause them to barely resemble their parents at all. Pino, by contrast, is relatively close in her overall proportions to an adult sharptooth, and yet you still just want to run up and hug her! :DD

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Pino is one of those characters that is so cute you just wanna give her a hug.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ I agree, Caustizer :)

^^^ Thanks, raga :smile

-Hops up and down- Great work on Pino, Great work! :) I cant even describe how great she is :) And the rest of your pictures for that matter. I know i cant do the Pixel Petrie one on a laptop using the little mouse-pad thingy, whatever it's called :p

Once again, Great work! :)

Thank you, Babidi! I'm glad you like it!

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
In the drawing on the left, Pino’s right leg looks to be in a very odd position, as if it is twisted at an angle diagonal to her body (ouch :o).

Yes, I caught that. It's one of the reasons I wasn't happy with the one on the left. Though most of the reasons were fixed with white-out :p

In the other picture, her right hand has three fingers, but her left appears to have only two.

Yeah... I was trying to have her thumb-ish finger out of sight on the left hand, behind the other fingers, but it is a bit iffy.

Her right leg also looks somewhat malformed, with no distinction between her thigh and her shin, and the connection of her shin to her ankle looks a little...strange.

Yes, I noticed this as well. That variety of leg is tricky from 3/4 view(as you can see, I didn't get it quite right :smile ), and I've been having a spot of trouble lately with LBT style feet and ankle connections. I actually had to re-do both sets of feet, and still didn't get them quite right :slap

Additionally (and I suppose this could be considered more of an artistic preference ), her toes and the claws on them make her feet look more like paws than what you would find on a sharptooth. Finally, the bunched skin on the underside of her tail looks somewhat like a pair of protruding lumps, rather than the flexion wrinkles I assume you were going for.

Actually, the toes and claws were pulled straight from the design of the Spino in XII! I must say I'm not too fond of them myself. Kind of nice, but not really sharptooth material. I probably won't use them on Spinos in the future. As for the flexion wrinkles... Yeah, I get lazy with those :oops I'll pay more attention to them in the future!

I can’t decide which image I like better, though. The non-outlined stripes on the left image look more natural, and the segments of her sail are angled slightly, such that they look more like the sail on the LBT XII Spinosaurus.

Yes, I was quite disappointed with the sail on the righthand image, which was part of the reason that I ended up finishing both drawings :yes Thanks so much for such an in-depth critique of my drawings, Pangaea! I really enjoyed reading it!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Forehead-slap moment: :slap I accidentally deleted the last third or so of that last post while editing it earlier, and didn't notice until just now. :oops (Luckily, replacing it was simply a matter of copying and pasting from the word document I had previously saved the text to. :p) Just letting you know so you can go back and read the full post. Oddly enough, my very last comment was almost the same as the one Caustizer later made. :lol

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ Ah, thank you!
Actually I'm glad that you mentioned her proportions, because they're something I thought about a lot!
I kind of figured that Chomper and the baby Fastbiters' proportions may be exaggerated so much simply because of how young they are, as Tricia's design seems to follow the same principles. To be honest, I was kind of disapointed to see that Chomper's design didn't reflect any aging in LBT V, but I guess it's a bit much to ask from a series that tends to ignore aging on the whole :smile
I didn't know exactly what age Pino was meant to be, but I really preferred to draw her around the GOF's age. It's a bit more challenging, and I don't think we've yet seen any sharpteeth that age in LBT, as of yet(the closest, of course, being Chomper).

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Just stopping in to give Pino another hug  :lol

Seriously though I wonder if he's inspired to write more about Journey to the Island now that there is a character drawing.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(My apologies for the belatedness of this response post...)

Yeah... I was trying to have her thumb-ish finger out of sight on the left hand, behind the other fingers, but it is a bit iffy.
I do commend you for trying to give Pino the correct number of fingers for a Spinosaurus. (By the way, if you REALLY want to be accurate, Spinosaurus is thought to have had a large, hooked claw on its thumb that it used to spear fish. It’s a feature that’s commonly omitted in non-scientific depictions of this dinosaur, though, so you’d be forgiven for not including it.)

Actually, the toes and claws were pulled straight from the design of the Spino in XII! I must say I'm not too fond of them myself. Kind of nice, but not really sharptooth material. I probably won't use them on Spinos in the future.
Considering that I was looking at screenshots of the LBT XII Spinosaurus to compare with your drawings BEFORE I commented on them, I can’t believe I didn’t notice that! :slap I wonder why the LBT people designed it that way, anyway. You’d expect that they would just use the same design as the T. rex feet. As far as your future spinosaur artwork goes, I’d suggest just using the same foot design as your left-hand drawing of Pino, but with slits on the upper surfaces of the feet to indicate the spaces between the toes. (I’d advise the same to the LBT animatorsóor whoever’s in charge of designing sharptooth feet. :p)

Also, about dinosaur legs and feet (LBT and otherwise)...they are a MAJOR pain to illustrate. As far as I’m concerned, they’re the hardest dinosaur body parts to draw. Your difficulty in getting them rightóas well as your subsequent dissatisfaction with themóis completely understandable.

Even with the flaws, this ranks highly among my favorite LBT-related artistic works. (I’m too indecisive to have a single favorite, :p but if I had to choose one, this would most certainly be among the contenders.) I am extremely eager to see what else your extensive artistic talent will turn out in the near future. :yes

Oh, and happy birthday, by the way. :smile

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
(By the way, if you REALLY want to be accurate, Spinosaurus is thought to have had a large, hooked claw on its thumb that it used to spear fish. It’s a feature that’s commonly omitted in non-scientific depictions of this dinosaur, though, so you’d be forgiven for not including it.)

Ah, thanks for informing me! I never knew :smile

I’d suggest just using the same foot design as your left-hand drawing of Pino, but with slits on the upper surfaces of the feet to indicate the spaces between the toes.

Hmm, I usually include those between-toe-slits to help illustrate pressure or strain being placed on the foot in question. Makes me wonder why I forgot them here :blink:

Also, about dinosaur legs and feet (LBT and otherwise)...they are a MAJOR pain to illustrate. As far as I’m concerned, they’re the hardest dinosaur body parts to draw. Your difficulty in getting them rightóas well as your subsequent dissatisfaction with themóis completely understandable.

I agree, whole-heartedly! They're tricky as anything!

Thanks again, Pangaea, for all of the wonderful comments and critique! I really appreciate it, and definitely enjoy reading it! Oh, and I keep forgetting to tell you, I really love your username :yes

Oh, and happy birthday, by the way. :smile

Well thanks very much :D

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I figured it was about time I posted something :p
This is pretty old, another quick pen sketch with some color slapped on. I was going to clean it up a lot and paint a suitable background, but, as you can probably see, I never quite got that far :slap
Sorry! I know I keep saying I'll get something finished up here, but yeesh, things have been crazy. Not to mention my ship date is creeping up on me rather quickly  :confused
The worst thing about this, other than its obvious messy unfinished-ness, is probably Spike's upper leg, ugh. The slope of his body isn't accurate, either. It was fun, though :>