The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

On which end would you place these locations?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In the context of the map work for the game some basic questions about the rough location of some of those landmarks which would be along the edge of the Great Valley have come up.
Do you know of any movie scenes that would clearly determine along which edge of the Great Valley (North, South, East, West, North-west etc.) the following landmarks are?

The Thundering Falls
The Plateau on which Saurus Rock is located
The Volcano we see in LBT 2

If there are no movie scenes that are definite about this which directions would you suggest?
I have some ideas of where I could put these locations, but I may have overlooked facts or maybe there is a very strong different opinion on where these locations would be. Everybody's input would be highly appreciated :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
In the third movie, didn't Littlefoot's grandparents say that their turn to drink water was when the Bright Circle touched the Smoking Mountain? If so, then I'd say the Smoking Mountain is on the west side of the valley.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
If you assume that the Thundering Falls represent the same waterfall seen at the entrance to the Great Valley in the first movie, then they are indubitably in the east. :p

Saurus Rock should be either to the north or south of the Great Valley. From our discussions in "An Attempted Map Of The Lands", I know Almaron believes it to be in the north. (I regret to say that I do not know his exact line of reasoning.)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

JitteryDragon

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Id put the volcano from LBT 2 south, probably right near the edge, too. In the 12th movie you have the large lava pits (and beyond that, the barrens) and because of the erruption in 2, I assume the pits exist because of that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In the third movie, didn't Littlefoot's grandparents say that their turn to drink water was when the Bright Circle touched the Smoking Mountain? If so, then I'd say the Smoking Mountain is on the west side of the valley.
Aye, that's a good point to be taken into account Kacie :yes
If you assume that the Thundering Falls represent the same waterfall seen at the entrance to the Great Valley in the first movie, then they are indubitably in the east.
Aye, if we assumed that. However, in order to include all the locations on the map the same is based on the assumption that what Littlefoot gazed over in the original movie was only a small secluded section of the Valley (though even that one included several waterfalls as there was one at the opposite end from where he was standing as well). Also the Thundering Falls in LBT 3 clearly don't have a cave above them. In the map for the game the entrance and waterfall of the original movie and the Thundering falls are meant to be different locations.
Saurus Rock should be either to the north or south of the Great Valley.
Why would it be either north or south?
I'm going to read the most detailed discussion on maping the Great Valley very carefully and I would relish in Almaron giving his input here too :) But to have the facts in this thread as well, why would Saurus Rock be either on the northern or the the southern end?
Id put the volcano from LBT 2 south, probably right near the edge, too. In the 12th movie you have the large lava pits (and beyond that, the barrens) and because of the erruption in 2, I assume the pits exist because of that.
Combined with Kacie's point it would probaby be in the South-West :)
One thing I have been wondering about are the effects of the LBT 2 erruption as well as several other lasting changes of the Valley's landscape throughout the movies. I suppose in some cases we must "cheat" and restore some locations (e.g. the eggeater's cave once we do know how to make caves :p) because it would be just a pity for those locations if we did not. But the volcano in any case should definitely be surrounded by some barren land. Because we plan on a volcano erruption in the game (which is giving us some really hard planning time :p) the original barren stripe should not bee too large so the effects of the erruption during the game will still show.
I guess I need to watch several of the later sequels (e.g. LBT 12) again.
Everybody's complements to the incomplete landmark list (shortcomings with regard to later sequels and TV episodes in particular I think) are very appreciated.
Thank you all for your contributions :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, I think Almaron and I have both been making postulations on the Great Valley's geography based on the assumption that what Littlefoot saw in the first movie represented the entire valley, so many of our theories may not be compatible with your map.

My own reason for believing Saurus Rock to be in either the north or south is that whenever it is seen in the distance from the Great Valley, it seems to be parallel to a very long stretch of the Great Wall, with no eastern waterfall in sight. Now that I think about it, I suppose it's not completely out of the question that Saurus Rock is in the west, but Almaron's explanation may preclude this.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.