The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Wii 2" Codenamed "Project Cafe"

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1162045p1.html

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37510/W...on-Project-Cafe

A couple of things to note.

1. They are likely ditching the motion controls for new games.

- It was a fun experiment, but we need to get back to what makes a controller a controller.

2. The new controller is said to have a touch screen.

- That should be interesting.

3. GameCube and Wii Games MIGHT be compatible.

- Please let them be compatible!  I don't want to leave my old favorites in the dust for this new console.

For now, I look forward to the next E3! :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Actually, I'm all for upgraded motion controls.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Anyone played games on an Iphone before?  It really sucks without tactile controls.  I can't imagine a touch screen controller being any good at all.  God, what's happened to the gaming industry?  This is why I got out of gaming a long time ago.  The last console made by Nintendo that was decent in the slightest was the GameCube, and that thing sucked because of those tiny disks and what a b**** it was to pirate 'em.  Now that the console is old and the games are cheap I don't pirate them anymore, but I still prefer regular sized disks thank you very much.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I agree with you on the iPhone games LBTLover. They're not the most intricate of controllers for playing games and few do it very well. However, I'd have to say that Ninty are quite good when it comes down to their controls. Look at how well the DS has done with it's touch screen controlling. A lot of their games (by that I'm talking AAA titles) do very well with the primary use of touch control.

I suppose the whole backwards compatibility issue will be the same as the playstation rant. Their reply to that was "If you want to play PS2 games, get a PS2." The Wii did a good job with back-compat and I doubt we're going to see it disappear any time soon even after the release of the Wii 2. Just don't throw out your Wii if you plan to get the next one.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Apr 21 2011 on  02:10 AM
The last console made by Nintendo that was decent in the slightest was the GameCube, and that thing sucked because of those tiny disks and what a b**** it was to pirate 'em.  Now that the console is old and the games are cheap I don't pirate them anymore, but I still prefer regular sized disks thank you very much.
Pirating is the main reason they made the small discs to begin with, LBTlover.  You see, Nintendo is basically afraid of pirates.  They do everything possible and so that they can't be pirated. (At least until the games in question are unprofitable anyways.) You see, Nintendo is a gaming company through and through.  They have nothing to fall back on, unlike Sony and Microsoft.  Nintendo is afraid that if people start pirating their games, they'll go out of business.

Pirating is the reason they stayed with cartridges instead of using CDs back in the N64 era.  All of the other gaming companies at the time were going with CDs rather because of the amount of space they had by comparison.

They've always been afraid of pirates, and Nintendo will continue to take measures against them.  I'm not sure what kind of "security measure" they'll use this time around, but we'll see what happens.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's some confirmed information for you!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163764p1.html

Okay, Wii and GameCube games WILL be compatible! (Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  Yes!) You see, the controller for Project Cafe is the Sensor Bar for the Wii Games.

Also...

Sources say it ... has the ability to stream content directly from the console.

Are you freaking kidding me?

Nintendo will rule the next generation!  I just know it! :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I love it when Nintendo's top dog. I''m liking the sounds of this new console already.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I bet most of those features will be dropped very soon.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, because optimism has no place on the internet...

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
itwill be interesting. i have the Wii and a number of games but I rarely play them..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This will be interesting. I heard the producers of the Kingdom Hearts franchise are planning of having III on the then hypothetical "wii-2."

Though, this isn't to say I'm not interested in what Microsoft and Sony have planned for the next gen.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Microsoft probably has plans, but Sony probably sunk too much into the Sony Dilbo...er, Move, to make a next gen console yet.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Apr 27 2011 on  05:14 PM
Microsoft probably has plans, but Sony probably sunk too much into the Sony Dilbo...er, Move, to make a next gen console yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Generation_Portable
Yes, because optimism has no place on the internet...
Sorry if critical thought and skepticism based on past experience isn't your forte.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Bite me, jerk. I won't take being called stupid sitting down, and before you say anything, shut up, animeboye.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
ok guys thats enough. I happen to own both the Move and Wii. and found they are very similar(the move's bulb does change color which is neat :p ) but that aside we do not need to drag this thread though the mud with personal slings , alright?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I won't, but I demand an apology for the implication that I am incapable of critical thought.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
very well.. please apologize campion.. so we can move on..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm getting the feeling that this will end up like the 3DS that just came out. I Think Nintendo will go in the same direction with it as they did with the 3Ds, and sales won't be that great as a result.

Also, I wanna know how much that thing is going to cost. Last generation, the Wii was cheap while Microsoft and Especially Sony took the expensive pile-it-all-in there approach.

Doesn't mean I don't want to play it, I just don't think it's going to end up doing to well.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't think so. Surely, Nintendo has to know why the Wii is a huge success. Can we please withhold the naysaying until we know more about this upcoming Codename Wii 2? And the Wii itself is proof why we need to wait just a bit longer before we can really say anything for or against this. All the naysayers about the Wii (including the ones on this very site) have been eating crow for almost half a decade now.