The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dinosaur Families

Akiko · 22 · 7312

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 19 2007 on  03:13 PM

The number of brothers and sisters is really very varying and sometimes lack of explanation creates real plotholes.
In LBT 6 Ducky mentions to be one of 13 twins. We saw that there were less in the original movie, but from her LBT 6 point of view I don't suppose Ducky would be exaggerating a fact which her friends can check out so easily. Her words "at the same time" rule out the possibility of her having included her later siblings in the term twins. We never ever saw 13 of them. I am quite fond of the idea of a story about Ducky and one sister of her looking absolutely identical... Double Ducky so to speak.
Were there less in the original movie? I'm sure Ducky would know how many siblings she has. But is it possible "twins" could mean something different in the LBT world? That would include her later siblings!

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Nov 24 2015 on  08:39 AM
I am quite fond of the idea of a story about Ducky and one sister of her looking absolutely identical... Double Ducky so to speak.
Malte, I'm still in favor of you writing that story :lol That would make for a really humorous story, yep, yep, yep!

Now on topic...

My opinion on this is quite simple.
  • Spike: He's the easiest case since he doesn't have any parents, at least we have never seen them. They more than likely died somehow during the harsh situation in LBT 1. Speculations here are okay in fics but it's pretty much impossible that Spike's parents are around... unless the producers pull the same stunt they did in LBT 10 in a future sequel if there ever are ones to follow LBT 14.
  • Ducky: Ducky has her mother and a fluctuating number of siblings. in LBT 1 she has (as somebody pointed out in one of those 7 years old posts) 7 sibling eggs which end up hatching 3 siblings. In LBT 2 she only has about 7-8 eggs but no trace of her siblings from LBT 1. The next time they are seen is LBT 5 when she has 5 if I remember correctly. I would have to watch LBT 8 again to double check but I could swear their number even fluctuates within that movie... I know that most of the time we see 3 siblings just like in the first movie but in one scene I could swear the muddle of her siblings sleeping beside their mother consists of more than just three of them :unsure: I'll skip the other sequels for I think my point already stands: There is no such continuity in their number whatsoever and Bruton is completely right there, that Ducky may have had up to 40 siblings if we counted them all :lol
    Now about her father... I personally don't believe his existence is official. Yes, we see another duckbill not just once but several times in at least 2 movies (1 and 5, possibly 2 too) but he never interacts with anybody so I personally don't consider him an actual character but just some background character who pops up every now and then. It's very well possible that Judith Barsi's tragic fate may have contributed to Ducky not having a father :(
  • Cera: She's a single child with a father we all love to despise sometimes :p The fate of Cera's true mother and siblings we see during her hatching scene and the scene where she meets Littlefoot, has been intensely discussed in separate threads already so I won't do that here and simply say that the most plausible answer to their disappearance is their death during the earthshake or during the journey to the Great Valley.
    In LBT 11 Tria comes along, actually one of the few positive things to say about that movie and in LBT 12 Tricia is hatched.
    Dinah and Danah are a mystery to me because they appeared out of nowhere and then dissipated into nothingness again :p It would have been interesting to see them again...
  • Petrie: Petrie has a mother and a fluctuating number of siblings (same like Ducky... continuity *sigh*). Unlike Cera's mother, we have never even seen a sign of Petrie's father so it's save to assume he's dead. Another possibility would be that Pteranodon males simply didn't care for their offspring but discussing that would belong into the respective threads about that again...
  • Littlefoot: Littlefoot is a single child. His mother was killed by sharptooth and the earthshake, his dad wasn't known to us fans until the events of LBT 10 (his introduction causing some plotholes but... OT). There are also Littlefoot's Grandparents. Shorty could count as a half-brother of sorts. He is not a half brother of Littlefoot by blood but was adopted by Bron.
    Picking up the recent discussion about Ali possibly being related to Littlefoot... I don't think there is any connection between Old One's herd and Littlefoot's family. Greeting Old One's herd as "cousins" is probably just a formal way of greeting another herd...
I'm the one who had just quoted that though  :neutral