The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT on DVD

Crowthorne

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

I have a question and was hoping that this forum would be the right place to come for an answer! I recently bought a copy of LBT on DVD (date on back says 2011) and just got round to watching it the other night. I remember years ago when I was a kid we had a VHS copy of the film that was recorded off the TV, probably the BBC, one of my favourite films as a kid. Watching the DVD it all came back, the music, the pictures, everything. But, watching the DVD copy, some things didn't feel right, parts didn't seem to flow in quite the way my memory was telling me they should. Now, I've been reading up on the 'cut footage', and am reasonably sure that wasn't what we had on video as a kid (although some of the descriptions of cut scenes do sound verrry familiar...), but I was wondering, was the film subject to any further butchering before the DVD release? Because the DVD just feels...wrong somehow.

With many thanks in advance! :)

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh, this again. I don't think there will ever be a definite answer on this kind of topic :(

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
There's actually an easy answer. For some reason, on the Laser Disc edition and on some scandinavian and possibly german releases of the VHS tape of the Original The Land Before Time, there is some extra footage that was cut out from the original movie.

A user a few years ago, can't remember who, posted some of it on this forum.

It's possible that the version Crowthorne saw as a child was either one of the northern-european ones or the laser disc version.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There hasn't been cut anything from the original movie > dvd, other than the lost footage. But that wasn't in most versions of the movie anyway.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
The lost footage was footage that was cut from the original film, it never aired in cinemas, but some of it got into the Laser Disc version and some VHS.

In the original run, the movie had a few more scenes with Sharptooth, that at the time were considered too violent. The biggest change however was that in the original cut Littlefoot found the Great Valley all by himself and then went back to rescue his friends from the Volcano, like in the book.

Other cut footage includes the gang meeting Spike and Sharptooth getting hit by a thorn in his eye.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Crowthorne

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Thank you for the replies everyone :) The footage NewOrder mentions (the extra Sharptooth, the thorn in the eye - especially the thorn in the eye) sound most like the scenes I remember which are missing from the DVD version. Maybe the UK had a slightly different TV-broadcast version to other areas, or had the wrong tape?

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
I havent been on here in few years but seriously? We are still talking about the whole "I remember seeing different scenes years ago that wasnt on the dvd but was on TV" thing? If nobody has found anything about it as proof to this day, it probably was a troll that started it and we all been imagining scenes that we never saw to begin with.  I don't think nobody seen the cut scenes besides the old cast . I just want to know if anything has come up about those lost scenes seeing the Blu ray release is coming out.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I doubt it was a troll who started it, Littlefoot3897, and I don't think you have to be so harsh towards members here. I too remember Sharptooth getting hit with a thorn in the eye, then again that scene is pretty much all the way there on the DVD so my own imagination may have added to that. I don't believe there will be any extras on the bluray.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thorn or one of those banyan looking roots Littlefoot and Cera were playing under before the sharptooth came? OH wait they go in the thorns are afterwards hmmm.. eh I have LBT on VHS but some of the things people have described like deleted scenes or Littlefoot discovering the Great Valley and THEN saving his friends I never recall seeing so I guess I didn't have the infamous 'version'

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
And also the recent comming of of actual deleted scenes material (I'm talking about the snake scene recently presented in the outcut scenes section) goes to show that even after all this time it is unlikely but still quite possible for something to come up (same as LBT 14 used to be for that matter :smile).

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Sep 18 2015 on  06:16 AM
I doubt it was a troll who started it, Littlefoot3897, and I don't think you have to be so harsh towards members here. I too remember Sharptooth getting hit with a thorn in the eye, then again that scene is pretty much all the way there on the DVD so my own imagination may have added to that. I don't believe there will be any extras on the bluray.
sorry I was just ticked off about seeing the blu ray release with nothing about deleted scenes .
I later saw the deleted story boards that got found and it made me happy to come back :)
also the thorn in eye did happen in the movie  :lol

but lets hope that there's a reason these story boards are just coming out and maybe there could be some extras on the dvd including the trailer for the 14th move