The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Heroes Versus Villians

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
WR:

So, its not scripted for heroes to be good and villans to be bad in films...heh, then why don't they simply say they're all middlemen and there are NO heroes or villans in films if there isn't one of the other, written as such?  The perfect persons (the good guys, heroes, etc.) include: Snow White, Cinderella, likewise, the total villan is someone like Malificent (nobody has ever compared to her).  So they do script these people to be predominantely good or evil.

Eh? What the hell does that have to do with anything? In any case, a hero is a hero, and a villain is a villain, even if some people think of it backwards.

And how does this apply to those who cross the line and switch the other way?  The good guys who become bad and the other way around?  Filmmakers do write characters like this with conflicting personalities.  Offhand the only one that comes to mind at this exact instant would be the Pokemon, Mewtwo in the first film.  Is he the villan, or the misunderstood good guy?  You can't watch the American dub and get the same story as the Japenese dub...they're too different...I'm talking of the Japenese dub here.  In this case Mewtwo isn't the villan--his creators are.  He may act as the villan but if you look deeper he really isn't.  Hereoes aren't always heroes and villans aren't always villans.

I've got to hear your response to this: how can anyone hate Hades from Disney's Hercules?  He was one of the funniest characters in the entire film, and many loved that character...even if he was the villan of the story.  So do you condemn everyone who enjoyed the performance of Hades?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
So, its not scripted for heroes to be good and villans to be bad in films...heh, then why don't they simply say they're all middlemen and there are NO heroes or villans in films if there isn't one of the other, written as such? The perfect persons (the good guys, heroes, etc.) include: Snow White, Cinderella, likewise, the total villan is someone like Malificent (nobody has ever compared to her). So they do script these people to be predominantely good or evil.
I don't know where that first remark came from, but whatever. Its wrong. Yes, they're scripted in specific roles, but that doesn't or shouldn't stop you from connecting with the hero.
By the by, Snow White was not perfect. She was naive (overly trusting, and hell, she entered someone else's property without asking, she couldn't tell that her stepmother was evil, despite the fact that she must have spent some time with her, hell, the dwarves knew she was evil!). And Cindella never really got a chance to show a truly dark side. She was a victem, through and through, but I can tell you that without the mice to keep her company, she'd probably have gone insane or become bitter. Her main imperfection that I noticed was that she didn't stand up for herself when she should have. So, she's not perfect, either.

And how does this apply to those who cross the line and switch the other way? The good guys who become bad and the other way around?
Hey, you're the one who brought Osoma Bin-Laden into this, not me. I'm saying, that regardless of how people perceive a person, character, whatever. Good is good, evil is evil, regardless of any and all other cultural and religious factors.

Filmmakers do write characters like this with conflicting personalities. Offhand the only one that comes to mind at this exact instant would be the Pokemon, Mewtwo in the first film. Is he the villan, or the misunderstood good guy? You can't watch the American dub and get the same story as the Japenese dub...they're too different...I'm talking of the Japenese dub here. In this case Mewtwo isn't the villan--his creators are. He may act as the villan but if you look deeper he really isn't. Hereoes aren't always heroes and villans aren't always villans.
Yes, there are middle ground characters like that, but we're not discussing them.

I've got to hear your response to this: how can anyone hate Hades from Disney's Hercules? He was one of the funniest characters in the entire film, and many loved that character...even if he was the villan of the story. So do you condemn everyone who enjoyed the performance of Hades?
Wit does not make a loveable character (and in Hades' case, they serisouly needed to fire whoever was writing his dialogue). And no, I didn't like him. Heck, I hated the whole movie, actually. Nothing was able to get me from the start to the ending credits. TO this day, I've only seen about half of it, but that's for another discussion.

Now, as action's post:

It looks to me that a villian can Exist without someone to stop him. Just because sUch a situation is rare in film, doesn't mean it's impossible.
That's not what I was saying. What I  meant was, without a hero, the villains would be the only norm around. IN order for villainly to actually seem villainous, there has to be an opposing force to bring about a different ideal. Otherwise, its just "that way".
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
True enough.
Sorry for being so vicious about this. I have no excuse. The thing is, I've been sick lately, and when I get sick, I get mean, and forget my manners, which is no excuse, so I'm sorry

That's ok WR. I understand. Apology accepted! No harm done! :D

Anyway, just to look at this another way. What about ANTI-heroes? Characters deemed heroes only because in defeating their counterpart ("evil" if you like) they result is benficial for all but they were doing it for their own selfish desires be it vengeance or whatever else. Are they deemed as good guys?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ I sort of posed a question along those lines to him already and got "we're not discussing those characters".  :rolleyes:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
To Littlefoot1616: Well, not all heroes have to be perfect. Anti-Heroes are protagonists reliberately designed to have some major flaw(s), and they're brought to a human level to be as understandable as possible. Yes, I'd still call someone Riddick ("Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick"), Dardevil (you need to ask?), and such the good guys. And a lot of times, Anti-Heroes do end up doing the right thing for the right reasons.

To Roger: I know you already posed a question like that, but I think we need to stay on topic here. We're not talking about enagmatic characters, we're discussing if heroes or villains are the people to connect with.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
To Roger: I know you already posed a question like that, but I think we need to stay on topic here. We're not talking about enagmatic characters, we're discussing if heroes or villains are the people to connect with.

You did well then...you replied to a question that had nothing to do with people connecting to heroes or villans.  :rolleyes:  WR, if you honestly have a problem with me, just say it.  I can take stuff.  I have to...I'm the head hauncho here...I get a lot of stuff I don't like reading but have to read, even if its about me.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Questions are meant to be answered, which is why I answered, but then it kept going when we had other things to discuss.

Yes and no, I do and don't have a problem with you. You claim that its easier to connect yourself with villains, well, that's connecting yourself to something evil, and that alone makes me weary of you.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Appears I've been misquoted....please find the passage where I wrote "I connect with villans".  You won't find it because I never once said that.  I said "people can connect with villans".  There is a difference.

To quote myself from May 31st:

You'd connect with a person who pushed his brother off a cliff into a stampede below? You'd connect with a person who sent a young kid and his monkey a one-way to the polar ice caps? You'd connected with a person who pinned an innocent girl under him and then had his way......

No I wouldn't personally. But guess what? This world is full of people who would connect to all that. That's reality. Idealistically, this world would be full of good people, but least be realistic--not everyone lives the perfect life or makes the best decisions, due to so many factors.

I think that squashes your comment that I of all people support the villans.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
You didn't have to say it. You said that you thought that villains were more human, that the heroes were too perfect, and that human connection was important between the screen and the audience, which implies that you aren't one who's rooting for the heroes. If you don't make a connection with the hero, I don't see how you're rooting for him or her, since they're "too perfect" to make a connection with.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
which implies that you aren't one who's rooting for the heroes. If you don't make a connection with the hero, I don't see how you're rooting for him or her, since they're "too perfect" to make a connection with.

Then you're interpreting my posts wrong...very wrong...if that's the conclusion you've reached.  Just because I think some people might be able to connect better to certain characters does not mean I am going to say I do.  I'm looking at all this in a broad sense here.  Also, saying heroes might seem "too perfect" has nothing to do with liking or disliking them...I'm discussing what I've seen and interpreted.

WR, what I think you ought to do is talk with me more in person (email, IM).  If you do, I think you'll see I'm hardly a villan.  You can ask just about any other member here who has spoken with me on MSN.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I understand now. I took what you were saying the wrong way.

You said: "Because villains seem more human" and "heroes are sometimes too perfect". I thought those were your views, sorry.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
*whew* That took long enough.  :lol:

Yes, I've seen people with usernames and avatars that are of villans so obviously they must like them in some form or manner to walk around with a picture of them.  So yes, this discussion was supposed to be about what I've seen other people do, not what I've done...you ever see me have a picture of a villan?  :lol:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
you ever see me have a picture of a villan?
You have one right now.   :lol:  ...just kidding.

I still don't understand why anyone would connect with the villain more, though. It jusy seems really foolish.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You don't like my Cheapachu?  :lol  :lol

I don't know what some see in villans; I guess ask them when you run across them and why they choose a villan as an alias online.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I just don't like Pokemon, subbed or dubbed, in general. Its never appealed to me. Of oucrse, most stuff used to promote a toy line or game doesn't appeal to me.

Its not un-understandable that a person can see a little bit of his or herself in a villain, if they carry similar traits, but that should make you want to watch yourself more closely to make sure you don't end up like that. That's happened to be me before (a villain that I saw some of myself in, and I was like "holy crap, I could end up like that!"). It was a little frightening to tell you the truth.