The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time Versus The Lion King

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The Land Before Time and The Lion King are great movies, no doubt. On that note, however, they didn’t perform much differently than each other. Watching one of those is almost like watching the other. The formulas which make up each of these movies don’t have too much variety when looked at side by side. While this probably won’t make for very good discussion, I do believe that this thread will be food for thought. I am going to explain why I believe that these two movies follow the same rode from beginning to end. Disagree with my logic if you will, but here goes:

They both start around the time of the main character’s birth. Both Littlefoot and Simba are born just shortly after the film starts.

A creature tried killing the heroes in each of the movies, also towards the first segment. Someone tries stealing Littlefoot’s egg for a meal, and Scar tries killing Simba via the hyenas.

Each of the main characters lose one parent entirely, while getting separated from the other. Littlefoot’s mother dies and he loses his father not long before the film starts, and Simba’s father dies, and he gets separated from his mother when he runs away.

After losing contact with both parents, each character is depressed until making some new friends. Simba meets Timon and Pumbaa, while Littlefoot meets Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike. The new friends help the heroes to overcome their self pity and move on.

Each of the main characters gets advice from an older character that is trying to help them. Littlefoot gets Rooter, and Simba gets Rafiki. After each of them gets a talking to, it takes a while for the information to sink in, then it is accepted later. Littlefoot was still down for a bit after his talk with Rooter, and Simba still wasn’t ready to go back for a little bit after his talk with Rafiki.

The villains are unable to be stopped by the main heroes alone, but with help from a friend, the anti heroes fall at the last minute, when things were looking the worst. Just when that Sharptooth was about to get Littlefoot, Cera rushed in and knocked into that rock just in time. When Scar was nearly about to get Simba, the move that Nala taught him allowed him to win just in time. So without friends like Cera and Nala, neither hero would have had the strength to overcome their final obstacle.

The circle of life theme is discussed in each film. Grandma Long Neck in one, and Mufasa in the other. (Then again, this point may not really count since the grandma instance was in movie four.)

Both characters spent the majority of the movie away from where they needed to be, but finally reached their appropriate home at the end. Littlefoot finds the Great Valley, and Simba returns to Pride Rock.

Each hero loses one parent due to the villain. Littlefoot’s mother dies from that Sharptooth, and Scar orchestrated the death of Mufasa.

Each of the main characters have a troublesome moment between one friend that later gets resolved. Littlefoot has a falling out with Cera who goes her own way, and Simba gets into an argument with Nala and they separate for a bit.

Both of the characters wander off prior to their parents’ deaths. Littlefoot runs off to play with Cera where they meet the Sharptooth who kills his mother, and Simba goes off into that valley where Mufasa dies trying to save him.

Those are all the similarities I can think of at the moment, but as you can see, those movies have a ton in common, making one almost wonder if one inspired the other to a degree. They both flow in pretty much the exact same manner on many occasions. I’m not really sure what there is to add to a thread like this; I just wrote it to show people who weren’t already aware of just how similar those movies are. Being an aspie, I am known for making connections between two things rather frequently. At least, I’m pretty sure that’s an aspie trait. Well, I hope my comparison has been enlightening.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow, I never actually realized they were that close. And once I started to think back to both movies, I realized that some parts were almost the same. You bring up some good points here TFS, about how both main characters lose a parent to a villian. And they meet new friends shortly after. Hey, I just realized something now. And both the main characters parents were trying to save their child when they die. Littlefoot's mother protecting him from Sharptooth, and Mufasa trying to save Simba from the stampede. Wow. Isn't that funny?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
good points sharp, although there are some differences as well. the lion king played on more mature ground than the land before time did. the lion king had a love interest, for instance, the land before time did not 9and with the possible exception of lbt4, none of sequels did either0
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Jan 18 2011 on  07:34 AM
none of sequels did either
What about LBT XI? You know... Topsy and Tria. ;)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
those weren't main characters though.. we're taslking about main characters here..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I personally lost little respect I had for LK after uniting with LBT again. Just my personal preference

Salvatore Blackheart

• Chomper
    • View Profile
A love story in land before time would be great
like simba and nala, something like that

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the provblem iws the main characters are kids so they are very unlikely to be interesteed in havingg a boyfriend?Girlfriend. The characters would have to get older..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Jan 17 2011 on  07:34 PM
the lion king played on more mature ground than the land before time did
I wouldn't exactly agree with this point. True Lion King had an appropriate setting for a love interest between Littlefoot and Cera, but there is one thing we seem to be forgetting about Land Before Time that makes the movie cover just as much mature ground as Lion King: racism. Land Before Time touches the subject of racism and prejudices strongly throughout the movie, most notably with Cera's personality, whereas Lion King allows for all animal species to live in harmony (at least as far as I remember, I haven't seen the movie in a long time).

Other than that, there are definitely quite a few similarities between the two movies. It's no wonder that some people believe that Lion King is Disney's version of Land Before Time.

The only difference that I can really see out of the points you pointed out TFS lies within the status of the mentor. Rafiki is a friend of Mufasa and resides in the kingdom, while Rooter is a complete stranger that who was in no way in league with Littlefoot's mother. Also, the timing of when the two characters met their mentor is vastly different. Littlefoot met Rooter rather early while Simba became an adult before meeting Rafiki. I mean these are small nitpicky differences, but they're still differences nonetheless.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
whereas Lion King allows for all animal species to live in harmony (at least as far as I remember, I haven't seen the movie in a long time).
That excludes hyenas who for reasons never ever explained where banned to the shadowlands where they seemed to grow hungry again. The hyenas are one weak point about Lion King for in spite of the whole talk about how every creature is part of the circle of life the hyenas are banned for reasons never explained as anything more than racism on the part of the lions. The main motivation for their later actions seems to be hunger (which is often perceived as a mitigating circumstance for actions aimed at obtaining food). We never learn why every member of the species hyena is to be perceived as so bad that they are not permitted to be part of the circle of life (as far as lions can prevent it).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
One can only speculate why the hyenas were banished. There was a fanfic I read years ago in which the hyenas were originally allowed on the Pridelands, but had done something so terrible (I forget what it was) that they ended up banished to the graveyard. But that's just a fan theory. It's a shame the movie never really highlights what the hyenas did to get banished. And what's keeping them there anyway? It's not like the Pridelands is the only place in Africa. They could have easily left to find a new home, yet they stick around a graveyard near the Pridelands.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
I always wondered about the hyenas too...realistically speaking, hyenas and lions ARE natural enemies. I always thought TLK portrayed them somewhat poorly though. Hyenas are not just scavengers, in fact they're more likely to hunt their own prey. Sometimes lions steal and scavenge from them. The hyenas were originally meant to be African Wild Dogs in TLK. I think they changed this because of the fact that lions & hyenas are common rivals. I imagine that if lions really had "control" over the lands they would chase off their rivals...but then, lions don't care much for cheetahs or any other animals they view as "competition" either, but one of the first animals we see in the intro is a cheetah. :lol

Having said that, I must also say that TLK is one of my all time favs...it's certainly one of the "classics of animations" and one of my personal tops. I remember when it first came out, unlike when LBT came out, with TLK I was old enough to really remember the theatre experience. It was perhaps the most epic movie of my childhood, and still a most loved classic. :smile