The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land before time spoons

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
Recently I got hold of a land before time spoon with a handle shaped like Spike. Here are two pictures of it:

the spoon enabled me to create a tin figure of Spike as shown on the next picture:

Now I assume that the spoon was part of a set given out by some cereal or whatsoever, and I suppose that there must be others with handels in the shape of Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky and Petrie. Sadly I didn't get the slightest hint on who produced that kind of spoons. Does anyone of you know anything about it?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Spoons? :lol:  Of all things.  I think we have those somewhere. :lol:  I know Denny's had some type of promotional cups....

I like the tin figure....quite realistic.  I thought you had planned on doing another 3-d figure.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi Petrie!
Who or what is Denny's?
I have planned a 3D figure of Cera. Her head is finished, but recently an attempt to create a mold of her body failed. With the silicon rubber the molds consist of being rather expensive stuff such a failure is quite costly.
Anyway, I will continue to work with the Cera, though it may take some time to finish molds for her body and limps.
Still I'm very interested in getting hold of more of such spoons or the like to create more figures similar to the Spike. I'm not really happy with the color of him. I sort of chose the standart colors which are associated and which in a few scenes match the colors in the movie. However, usually his color is much more pale like a great deal of white was mixed into the green. I may paint another spike tin figure in a different color pattern.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Denny's is a restaurant chain.  I'd say mid-90s they had LBT plastic cups for some reason that came with kids meals.  

I do get what you say about the coloring...Spike was pretty dull in color in the first film.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks!
You gave me a keyword I needed to find out about the spoon at google. It was not made by Denny's, but Denny's was just one out of a couple of places where they used LBT promo stuff in the aftermath of the release of LBT 5.
I found out that the spoons were produced for Dairy Queen Restaurants. I also found out that indeed other than Spike there were spoons in the shape of Littlefoot, Cera, and Ducky.
Yet I never found any of those at ebay and the one of Spike I also got by chance rather than through a planned search. I'm especially after stuff of which one can make land before time tin figures. Other than the Spike spoon, I also have two 1988 brooches of Littlefoot and Ducky of which I created tin molds. I strongly assume that there were such brooches of other characters as well, but I never found any  :(

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You know, just for you Malte, I went to see if my parents still had that LBT cup in the cupboard where we still have all those plastic cups.  I found the Disney ones that Burger King gave out in the mid-90s but no Denny's LBT cup.  Sorry. :(

They made an LBT brooch?  :blink:  That's news...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you very much!
However, a cup would probably not be suited to make an LBT tinfigure out of it (unless it is shaped like an LBT character, and even then it would most likel be to large to make a good figure of it (and one that does not consume an extremely high amount of expensive tin).
The Littlefoot and Ducky brooches were the positive for my first LBT tinfigures which you can find in the LBT gallery www.lbt-gallery.de.vu (Galleries-Malte-Artwork-page 3).

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I meant just using the cup as a reference point...anything with the characters on it could be a reference point.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
In 1988 when they first brough Land Before Time to life they brought out all types of items for it. cups, lunch boxes, all the usually things to show a big realise and that was like the normal thing at the time of 1988.

-Threehorn

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, back in 1988 it would've been a common thing.  Also, these days such things would go for a pretty penny. :)

Who knows, there might be a BIG fanatic out there who has so much LBT stuff preseved in a glass case and all for all we know.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Realistically, the only LBT item that goes for a "pretty penny" is the soundtrack.  Otherwise, everything else pales to that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What exactly does that phrase "to go for a pretty penny" mean?
By the way, I forgot to mention that in early November I got the other spoons I had been looking for. The spoons of Ducky and Cera will make as good positives for tin figures as the one of Spike did. The Littlefoot spoon is not as good (he is in a strange sitting posture and his head seems a bit too small). The spoons came along with LBT cups and lids for the cups shaped as pieces of LBT landscape (rocks, plants etc.). I consider making moulds for these lids to use them as sockets for the tin figures. Those lids are too large to cast them with tin with the tools I have (apart from the fact that it would be very expensive) so I consider using plaster for them.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Nov 24 2005 on  09:02 AM
What exactly does that phrase "to go for a pretty penny" mean?
By the way, I forgot to mention that in early November I got the other spoons I had been looking for. The spoons of Ducky and Cera will make as good positives for tin figures as the one of Spike did. The Littlefoot spoon is not as good (he is in a strange sitting posture and his head seems a bit too small). The spoons came along with LBT cups and lids for the cups shaped as pieces of LBT landscape (rocks, plants etc.). I consider making moulds for these lids to use them as sockets for the tin figures. Those lids are too large to cast them with tin with the tools I have (apart from the fact that it would be very expensive) so I consider using plaster for them.
"Pretty penny" means "alot of money."

Trust me, just finding the right person to sell Land Before Time stuff to can make you very rich. (Hey!  Works for penny collectors who are after the rarest of rare and will pay $1,000,000 just for a certian penny that's incredably hard to find.)

As for the figures you're making, if you really want to save money, I'd suggest an inexpensive clay like "Play-doh" to actually make them with.  Then again, clay does break easily, (Which is why people make it harden by extreme heat.  Just so it has a lower chance of breaking.) so it might not be a good idea.

EDIT: Oh, and just for the record, I've got a sticker of Baby Littlefoot licking a purple leaf of some kind. (He's actually holding it like a human would a newspaper.)

Got it for being a good patient at a doctor's appointment I had a long time ago. (It was the only Land Before Time one in the basket.)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hi!
Thanks for the explanation. Now I see what you mean. However, I can assure all of you that sometimes you get land before time stuff really cheaply from ebay. Admittedly, I sometimes had to pay a pretty penny too. But more often I was highly pleased with the low prices I had to pay despite the fact that transatlantic shimpment makes it more expensive for me than for you (most LBT items are to be found in the states). Often the shipment exceeds the price for the stuff.

As for the figures I'm creating, I'm aware that clay would be cheaper. I have a few land before time clay figures and also some I carved from soapstone. However, the deal is that I am creating moulds which allow me to cast land before time figures with liquid tin (pewter to be precise). This way I can create many figures with the moulds and just have to paint them. Of course I don't have hundreds of identical land before time figures standing in my room ;) but I sent some to good friends and fellow land before time fans of mine as birthday presents. Apart from that working with the liquid metal has a special attraction of its own, as does carving, or working with clay. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Hm, just tonight I went to a music store I never go to and I saw a used copy of the LBT soundtrack that went for $29.99.  I sure was tempted to buy that because it goes for at least double that on ebay if you keep your shipping costs low.  ;)  Didn't do it though because its just a hassle in winter up here to get to the post office and all.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I ordered my LBT OST from Amazon I think and I got it for around a tenner...give or take. My first real LBT treasure besides my movies of course ;)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
What I meant was that I could have bought it for $30 at that store, and it would've sold for probably about $50 plus shipping on ebay.  ;)   I already have an original copy of the cd - and lucked out price wise and scared a lot of people away with my bid.  :lol: