The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Original Land Before Time score in sequels

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As my last post of the day, I am posting here. Mainly due the inactivity here in the Land Before Time sections of the forum and partly because I am in a Land Before Time mood. I am going to go through the sequels and find ALL of the musical scores from The Land Before Time Original Movie Soundtrack in the sequels. I have been wanting to do this since I first joined and since I got all the movies (except the 13th). This is just a starter post. I will post my 2nd movie findings tomorrow or the next day. I'll be doing more than one viewing to be certain I get every last piece down. But for now, I have to sign off.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds like a cool project. :yes Looking forward to it, as I loved the soundtrack from the first movie myself. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The Land Before Time: The Great Valley Adventure
Original "The Land Before Time" score moments

I decided I could get one movie in today. So here are the scores from the original movies in the Great Valley Adventure.
Right off the bat, there is one. About 00:01:13-00:01:42 in, we have the beautiful If We Hold on Together score. It sounds as if it might be from track 3, about 07:17-07:46 seems like the part that matches, although that score is used throughout the soundtrack.
Only several seconds after the end of that score segment, about 00:01:53-00:02:01 in, we have what sounds like a small piece from the scene just about before Littlefoot talks to his mother's spirit in the tree star. 05:09-05:17 of track 3.
And about 31 minutes after that last segment is the third score piece. Possibly from the same track. It sounds to me like 5:37-5:53 of track 3.
A couple minutes later, we have another. At 00:37:38.  This one's a little tricky. It's a bit remixed with bits from track 6 after the gang reveals they are the tar monster.
At 00:38:21, sounds like it's from track 3 also. Maybe 00:16-00:32 of track 3 to be exact.
Then we move to 00:43:03-00:43:24. This one is easier to identify. It's definitely track 6. From 00:04 is where it starts. However it was cut one sequence short.
Okay. So we're at 00:46:08-00:47:20. This one starts out with the part where Cera is heading away from the gang to sulk after she had went the wrong way and almost led the others to their deaths. Then it recycles to moments before that when she is angry that the others scared her. On the track it would be 05:40-5:43 for the first few seconds. Then, 04:44-06:04.
Movie ahead just 1 second 00:47:21-00:47:37. If someone could help me out with this one, that would be greatly appreciated. I tried looking for it, but I couldn't find it. I may have overlooked it somewhere on the soundtrack though.
So, let's go 2 seconds ahead this time. 00:47:39-48:01. This is, again, obvious. It is the beginning of track 6. About the same length as the 7th find.
Moving on to 00:48:29-00:49:25. This score is around the time Littlefoot's mother is telling him about the Great Valley and how to get there. In track 2, this sequence would be 04:16-05:19 with that last second a little prolonged.
The next part continues where the seconds went quiet. 00:49:39-00:49:44. Which would 05:24-5:28. Also of track 2.
00:49:45-00:50:07-This would be from just before Ducky enters the cave. Track 6. 07:18-07:39.
00:50:09-00:50:54-Then we head a little further down the track to when the sharptooth has slid down the slope with Ducky and hits the rock in the pond. 08:07-08:47 of track 6.
00:50:55-00:51:24-This sequence would be from when Littlefoot get's Ducky and Spike from the middle of the volcanic river up to the part where the four are trying to get out of the tar. 03:26-circa 03:55.
00:52:27-00:51:54-This is from when the domeheads attack Cera. Not sure of the placement on the track. The end of the sequence repeats however before it transitions into the next score.
00:51:54-00:52:14-This sequence is when Sharptooth chases Cera and Littlefoot into the mass of thorns. 06:19-06:38 of track 2
00:52:15-00:52:30-This is right around the time Littlefoot, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike show up as the tar monster and frighten the domeheads away from Cera. 04:30-04:38 of track 6.
00:52:30-00:53:18-This sequence would be from when Littlefoot narrowly escapes the jaws of Sharptooth and smacks him with the thorns (by accident of course). 07:05-07:53 of track 2.
00:53:21-00:53:36-This is when Cera is talking to Littlefoot while trying to find her way to the other side of the Divide and she falls. 07:54-8:11 of track 3.
00:53:37-54:44-This would be the scene where Cera is going through the lava pits with Petrie and he falls in when she jumps all the way up to when LF, Ducky, and Spike help Petrie get out of the tar. That's 02:30-03:38 in track 6.
These last few, I was getting tired in the brain so I'm going to be vague.
1:01:58-1:02:28-This is another If We Hold on Together score. As I am tired and this and the rest that follow are too generic, I won't post what track and track position.
1:02:37-1:03:00-This sounded like the part after Cera is crying and the gang is swimming in the pond.
1:03:43-1:03:57-The beginning of the scene where Petrie falls into tar. *yawn
1:05:06-1:05:34-Another If We Hold on Together generic track.
1:06:43-1:06:52-Beginning of volcano scene...again.
1:07:10-1:08:02-If We Hold on Together score track, played twice back-to-back.
And that's it. Phew. I probably shouldn't have done all that thinking after training. But there it is. The original scores in The Great Valley Adventure in their respective locations in the DVD timeline. This is, in fact, my final post for the day.
Looking at the preview, I can see this is going to be torture, but I'm dedicating myself to finishing this topic. :wacko

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Good job! You'll get to this in time, but one recycled bit of score I recall specifically is in LBTVI, when Grandpa Longneck battles the two Sharpteeth. The music used is the full version of the fight music from the middle of Sharptooth & The Earthquake (Track 2) - the scene where Littlefoot's Mother battled Sharptooth. A section of the soundtrack is missing from the original LBT; arguably part of the deleted scenes.

For people who don't have the soundtrack, it's a good way to see what the deleted scenes between Littlefoot's Mother and Sharptooth would have been like; same music, same scenario of parental figure fighting for life, only difference is the violence is toned down.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes! I love that scene! That piece fit perfectly with the scene.
I still want to see the deleted segments from the fight scene, especially the whole sequence after Littlefoot's mother whacked the sharptooth the 2nd time.

Edit: I should have the 3rd movie results up sometime tomorrow, probably in the morning.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I gotta say, every time I hear snippets from the original score in the sequels, it makes me a little teary eyed. The original score is so beautiful and touching that I really can't help it. I give the producers of the sequels a lot of points for putting even parts of the original score in, because they could have just as much said "Forget that score, we made our own."

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Which is kind of what happened in the end - as the sequels went on, they switched to using just Michael Tavera's music. In a way, it works, as it gives a vague suggestion of time going on and the characters slightly moving on from their turbulent past towards a safer life in the valley...with the odd adventure on the side of course.

BTW Justin, feel free to use my analysis notes of the soundtrack of the first film if it adds anything to your work. It probably won't be of much use to you, but who knows?

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I liked most of the sequel song's even tho Mars Girl hated them.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Almaron, I'm already using your notes in a much bigger project. Been working on it for several months now and your notes are really helpful  :D

Edit: Due to time constraints, I'll be putting this off for a day or two.

Kron the Iguanadon

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I am still here. As I stated in my previous post, I have time restraints. In between working, school, getting things done, and spending time with friends, I am finding less time to watch the movies. It's Saturday tomorrow, so I might have some free time. It all depends on how much I have to do, but not to fret. I will complete this project. For now, it is on a bit of a hiatus. I would do it now, but I am not really in the mood.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
To be fair, Horner and Tavera's music for the LBT franchise sound very different, because each composer is different.  Trying to continually blend two composer's sound into one film doesn't always work great, so using only Tavera's contributions near the end was the smarter move than continually referencing the work of the original film.  The earlier sequels of course, didn't have much extra score to go on so can't really fault them in the early stages.