The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anonymous Rex

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
So I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this already. Anyone here read this rather good Eric Garcia trilogy?

I absolutely loved the first two when I read them last year during my long excursions on planes/ferries for my Eurotrip. I think Casual Rex is by far the best in the series, at least it was for me. The humor is great, and the concept, though wacky, is just so awesome. I'm (slowly) working on the third book, though I still think Casual is the best. The story and characters were more complex I thought than Anonymous, though Anonymous probably had better plot twists.

I think Garcia writes very well and is incredibly descriptive. There were some scenes in Casual that just blew me away, and I had to set the book down to just soak in all that I'd read at certain points. XD

If you have any thoughts or read this series, go ahead and post here! I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What is the series like? I've never heard of it.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's basically asking a big "what if?". What if dinosaurs survived extinction, and are living among us today, but in disguise? They've also shrunk quite a bit over the millions of years, to where a T-Rex is more our size. The series follows the exploits of a lazy, financially broke velociraptor private investigator named Vincent Rubio.

The gist of it is, dinos have been living among us for thousands of years, but as they've had the ability to manufacture disguises from a very early time, they've been among our ranks since humans have been around. Sounds a little silly, I know, but Garcia does a great job at pulling it off, and making it believable. They wear these elaborate human suits to make them look just like us, though of course have heightened senses of smell (for the meat eaters), and not exactly sure what the flatteeth have, as it's told from a raptor's perspective.

The humor is excellent, and can be a little dirty at times, but then again it's not really a children's series at all. It's geared for older audiences. We experience life through Rubio's eyes, and some of the cases he works, which normally involve him getting caught up in some far bigger plot than he was expecting going in. I think there were only 12 species that survived to modern day though, and I'm trying to remember them off the top of my head...

Velociraptor
Brontosaurus
T-Rex
Hadrosaur
Iguanodon
Diplodocus
Ornithomimus
Allosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Triceratops
Coelophysis
Compsognathus

I think those are the 12, but don't quote me. They're all our size (which is amusing when you think of some of these), and are governed by something called the High Council, which is based in... Greenland or Iceland... can't recall, but it has chapters in every continent. The Council sets down rules for them to follow, such as banning the use of guns, and keeping identity strictly secret from humans. They basically live among us peacefully, and go about their day to day lives.

It's a great series, and if you can pick it up, I definitely recommend starting with Casual Rex. It's the second book but chronologically it comes first in the series. You can also find an omnibus, which has the first two books in one.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post