The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Your LBT movie

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
(Malte's gonna have a seizure about this...) More violence (Stop at PG-13, please)
Am I? :lol
Not really, in so far as there actually has been some violence in LBT already, especially in the original movie, but it may also escape the notice of most of us that the Pterano flashback of LBT 7 included what may have been the worst "mass killing" of dinosaurs throughout the entire series (with the possible exception of the great earthquake in the first movie). I don't think it is violence in general which I can't stand in LBT, but the kind of violence that would just not be committed by LBT dinosaurs.
They are no humans and I suppose they couldn't even understand if we tried to explain "war" to them. Even the sharpteeth are not launching some "campaign against leafeaters" but just follow the law of nature. So long they are not threatened, or have to eat there are not many causes which I think would get a dinosaur into a fight for life or death (I'm not including any brawls characters like Hyp might start in this). There are possibilities for larger conflict in LBT (especially with regard to the racism which has often been displayed) but such possibilities would have to be explained in a story. If I see LBT dinosaurs fighting I don't want to have them fight for the effect but I want to know why they fight and that must be a good explanation. Ideas about sharpteeth armies invading the Great Valley etc. really just don't make any sense.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Stories about sharpteeth invasions you mean?
They may be, but would we also enjoy watching a movie that tears up the land before time (and the principles it is based on) like that?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Holy cow, no. The reason fanfiction is so awesome is cause you can do things that the canonical sources could never ever ever do. Killing off half the main characters Gettysburg-style would be one of those.

When it comes to fanfiction, especially war-fiction, I stick to one character (usually Ducky) and pray that they make it through. But peaceful crossovers are more my style.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Gettysburg style... totally off topic, but do you happen to be interested in history? :D

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
How did you guess?

The Civil War used to be a big intrest of mine several years ago, until I read Howard Zinn, and decided that war really wasn't my thing any more. Nowadays I'm more interested in politics and public protest, a.k.a the 70s.

Do you have a favorite area of history? For a specific country, maybe?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, my focus on historical studies is that of English speaking countries and the United States in particular (I'm interested in just about any chapter of history though). My final university exam to be written in the upcoming semester will probably be about a topic related to the US Civil War. Studying history, including military history, and being a convinced pacifist don't necessary exclude each other. In the best case the studying of conflict in human history may also contribute to avoiding the repetition of the mistakes of the past and it may also help to guard against falsified pictures of history (e.g. the very common glorification or euphemism of events).
The 1970s are a particularly interesting chapter of US history and maybe especially in the light of current events in the US and the US "involvement" abroad.
I don't want to go too far off topic here as this is an LBT thread, but if ever you feel like talking about any historical topic I'm sure we would both very much enjoy such a discussion (and anyone else interested in history is of course hearty invited to join us or start such a thread) :yes

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If I were to make an LBT movie, I would make sure to add NO MORE ADDITIONAL PROTAGONISTS.  At least for one of the movies.  I mean, every movie there's some new guy that doesn't really do much for the story or develop the existing characters.  Then at the end we never see them again.  It's sorta weird.  In addition, I would make sure to have a reason for the song that's sung.  Three songs a movie is standard now so any less is unacceptable to the writers I guess.  I don't think that should be the case.  If it doesn't need three songs, don't give it three songs.  What's wrong with one or two or four if the situation calls for that many?  I'm not saying to cut out the songs or to turn LBT into a musical, but have some sort of quality control.

Next, don't do something stupid like you did in LBT 13.  Those yellow bellies don't even look remotely like a bush.  What I really hate is the fact that they show the yellow bellies in the dirt and they look like big a$$es sticking up, but when they show them again they look like bushes!  Nada!  Even though kids are watching the movies, they're not retarded.  Keep things realistic.

I'd develop Spike's character more.  He really doesn't play a big role, and I don't like that.  Character development can use some improvement.  Petrie and Ducky are both small so they should develop a closer relationship.  Ducky and Spike are already pretty close, but that's because they live together.  Littlefoot and Cera should develop a closer relationship as well.  Since they're the largest of the gang and can both talk, they should have a better relationship than they do.  Spike needs to have Tippy back.  He needs influence from other Spiketails.  

Ali should be brought back the right way.  Don't make her stupid and helpless like you did in the TV series.

Other than those things, I can't really think of anything else.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will start on my second fanfic when my current one is done.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, first of all, I'm flattered that someone believes my story is of a high enough caliber to be made into a movie, and the overall spectrum of ideas in this thread is nothing short of astounding.

On the subject of sharptooth "armies" in LBT fics, I believe that they are not armies at all, and are more like a locust swarm. They invade the Valley only for food, and quickly move on once finished. Describing them as armies simply because they come together to feed is hardly justified, especially considering they have little or no hierarchy.

As for the songs, I'd actually prefer songs written by notable artists to be played in a music video-like fashion, if only because of the degrading quality of the songs in the latest sequels.

I agree with landbeforetimelover on the "no more protagonists" issue. As most of my readers can tell you, the number of protagonists in my fic has sharply jumped, from the original gang of five to the current number of fourteen. With such a high number comes the increasing difficulty of focusing on individuals, and, while good action can sometimes make up for this, some characters do end up getting less attention.

My perfect LBT movie will probably never see production, and for now exists only as my fanfiction. With A Jedi's Destiny, I sought to give LBT a good heathy dose of action, political intrigue, and massive scale that only Star Wars could provide, while at the same time being able to put new and old characters from both universes(as well as my OC), into a host of new challenges and situations that, at least in the alternate universe my story inhabits, will change the galaxy forever.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Jul 23 2008 on  02:55 PM
On the subject of sharptooth "armies" in LBT fics, I believe that they are not armies at all, and are more like a locust swarm. They invade the Valley only for food, and quickly move on once finished. Describing them as armies simply because they come together to feed is hardly justified, especially considering they have little or no hierarchy.

I have to disagree:

Twilight Valley and War of the Worlds and even Out of the Shadows are where you would be wrong, these fan fictions have TRUE  sharpteeth armies. In fact if I recall, Out of the Shadows makes a reference to General Chomper (Yes, it's the same Chomper).

And yes, stories about Sharpteeth invasions are quite fun to read... I treat them the same way I would treat Tom Clancy.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I dislike the fact it is little too unreal with the concept that they are all happy in the valley and none of the flat teeth worry about migrating herds attracting predators. Of course, it would be understandable if Redclaw chase them away or fought them. Certainly they could have hidden in the valley to wait out one.
I want to see when all the dinos become adults especially little chomper. Will he still be cute? Will he save Mister Threehorns from being eaten or replaced as the lead of threehorns? Will Chomper eat his rival or help Cera take over the valley or does he claim the valley as his own? Those caves he lives in are great to sniff and spied out the valley for prey.  :wow
Maybe the gang will find a wish stone that makes their wishes come true or brings their dreams or nightmares alive. Imagine Redclaw in the valley at the same time a violent thunderstorm is going on, a volcano erupts and a earth shake. Imagine a chomper fighting him.  :DD Or maybe Chomper meets a baby t-rex girl and starts to play fight king of the hill or starts fighting over a bone,valley or the flat teeth in the valley or Tricia. What if Tricia wants to play with them?
I would probably like to see Mister Three horns telling Tricia three horns should only play with three horns when he finds out she wants to play with that baby sharptooth and chomper agrees saying only sharpteeth play with other sharpteeth, you might get hurt. :nyah

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I like that invasion of sharpteeth armies.Boy, either the flood has come and they are fleeing from it or they are so hungry, they must invade the valley.   :rolleyes: Of course knowing the flatteeth and Mister Threehorns, it would probably be a rumor or wild story only to scared them.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A single large sharptooth is quite capable of hunting down leafeaters of comparable or even larger size. Unlike in case of the smaller raptors which require less food it would not be sensible for large sharpteeth to team up. It would require more mouths to be stuffed and therefore more prey to be brought down within a limited region, which before long would clear the region of any food and force the sharpteeth to move on. A single sharptooth or a very small group of sharpteeth might do for a very long time (perhaps even forever) in the same region. An "army" of sharpteeth is more likely to fall victim to starvation than sharpteeth which are more spread out.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What about Allosaurus? It was theorized that they may have hunted in packs. (Though it's only a theory.)

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
What would be interesting is for Littlefoot to actually spend a season with his father; to just give migratory life a try, with the promise that he would return to the great valley when the season was over... On the migratory path, he would probably see amazing stuff, blah blah blah, cue song sequence with montage, etc... but he would also be exposed to some uncomfortable realities of living in a migratory herd of sufficient size. Now, when he was young, Littlefoot WAS migrating to the great valley, but he wasn't so much with a herd as he was with his family... Bron's herd would be different. One can see an interesting story involving herd politics and the measures Bron has to take to lead and control the herd. What would be interesting as well would be if Bron had to fight another sauropod for leadership of the herd, and then have to explain to Littlefoot about exactly why he had to fight to maintain his leadership... something along these lines:

(Fight between Bron and rival ends in victory for Bron after fight sequence)

Bron: (some blood is visible going down his mouth where he was hit) *Pant, pant* (catches his breath after the battle)

Littlefoot: Dad! What happened! Was there a sharptooth attack! Why is that other longneck lying on the ground?! (stunned, not badly hurt and definitely not dead.)

Bron: I fought him, Littlefoot. He was... trying to... take something... Littlefoot. Something that I have and that I will one day give to you...

Littlefoot: (confused)... What could you possibly have that he would want? Were you fighting him over some food?

Bron:...(pause)... Littlefoot? Do you know why I am the leader of my herd?

Littlefoot: Is it because you can see things they can't? (shadows of Pterano)

Bron: ...No. I'm not smarter than most longnecks, and I'm not chosen by anyone to lead...

Littlefoot: So, what are you saying?

Bron: I sort of... became leader of my herd because I was simply able to protect everyone. I was the biggest, and the strongest... and as I have just proven to this member of my herd, I am still the strongest.

Littlefoot: ... But... don't they... love you... as their...? (Littlefoot mistakenly thought that others in the herd treated Bron like Littlefoot treats Bron)

Bron: I am respected by all, loved by some (more on this later), and feared by a couple of others... they need me as their leader, Littlefoot, but not all of them like me all of the time... some of them think that they can do things better than I can... Some of them want to prove it by force... I can't let that happen...

Littlefoot: But... what about... talking out your problems? In the Great Valley, the grown-ups meet in a circle to discuss things.

Bron: I know that, Littlefoot, but the Great Valley isn't here. Out here, people are less patient, and far hungrier... they don't want to talk or listen... and I have to do what I need to in order to stay a leader...

Littlefoot: I don't think I like that very much...

Bron: It's what we do out here...

Another scene could be too tricky/controversial to put into a children's movie. In the wild, Bron might be considered an alpha male. In some animal groupings today, the alpha males are the only ones who mate, or at the very least, get the "first pick" of females. While it is unknown whether such behavior was present in any dinosaurs, it is not unreasonable to assume this could happen. Now, showing something like polygamy is not exactly... kosher... to show in an American animated movie, but we might see the side-effects of it. Tippy's herd, for instance, shows him with his mother but no father. Since the stegosauruses lived in herds, it isn't unthinkable that the alpha male who led it (Tippy's herd was led by a male, after all), might be the father of at least some of the children in the herd (or child, as we only see Tippy.)

Showing Bron in that capacity would be rather tricky... but it would be both relevant to nature and definitely interesting... to see how it would be handled.  

Bruton the Iguanodon

I wanna see the Land of Mists again  :exactly