The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Cold Time

Malte279 · 130 · 21267

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Thank you for your corrections Timehopper :yes
By the way, may I call you by the name which I know from our emails?
I made the corrections you suggested and replaced the two chapters with their corrected version. The problem is that the entire text is really full of mistakes of word order etc. I guess to really make up for it I would have to type the entire story again. However, these chapters certainly go to prove my claim that my English was far worse at age 16 / 17 than it is for many of our non-native speaker members of the same age, or even younger. I translated the story in 2001 / 2002 Kor. Getting the hang of the language was not always easy for me as demonstrated by this story :lol
Here are the next chapters:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Chapter LVIII

Ozzy awoke shortly after and since he had the feeling not to be able to fall asleep anymore he went out to relieve Strut. Strut seemed to doze a bit, but he was startled immediately when Ozzy stepped out of the cleft. “Alright Strut, it’s me”, said Ozzy pleasantly surprised not to find his brother sleeping. Strut tiredly nodded. “May I…”, he troubled to suppress a yawn, “…lie down now?” Ozzy nodded. “Has anything happened?” asked Ozzy when this was already about to disappear in the cleft. “No”, mumbled Strut. “Nothing but…” “What?” Ozzy interrupted him, again in his usual stern tone. “Well, some time ago I’ve heard something, but I may err.” “What have you heard?” “It sounded as if somebody would cry, far away.” “A cry?” “No, it sounded merely as if somebody would bellow at somebody else. But it was so quietly, I think I have…” Strut ceased frightened. He had nearly said that he believed to have dreamt it. But Ozzy mustn’t know that. But for Strut’s relief Ozzy didn’t seem to have heard the last words at all. He appeared to be pretty thoughtful. “May… may I go now Ozzy?” Ozzy startled. “What? Oh err yes, yes! Sleep well!” “Thanks.” Bewildered went Strut into the cleft. If his brother wished him to sleep well, thought Strut, then he had to be really somewhere completely else with his thoughts. Ozzy pondered. He remembered the noise he and Strut had heard during their talk. The snow behind the boulder from where the noise had come had been rooted up. Strut believed to have heard cries and if Ozzy now minded that here was simply no being anymore that could have made noises, save the leafeater kids, then all this seemed to be too much to be chance. He had to make sure. Ozzy ran past the boulder from behind which they had heard the noise during their talk, into the darkness. Ozzy didn’t have to run far for already after a few steps he recognized footprints in the snow that was lightened by the moonlight. Footprints of a threehorn, a spikedtail, a longneck and a sharptooth. No doubt, the kids had been here and that their tracks changed the direction here so suddenly and led up instead of along the slope. Was the proof for Ozzy that he and Strut had been eavesdropped by the flyer, this wretched flying pest. For a moment Ozzy believed that he would explode with rage. Strut would have to pay for that, for it was all his fault, wasn’t it? But suddenly Ozzy had an idea. If the flyer had really eavesdropped Strut and him, then the little leafeaters knew now that they had to hurry to free their friends otherwise it would be too late for them. So they probably wouldn’t wait for long, but would try to free their friends as soon as possible. That was just all right with Ozzy. But he was not even forced to let the leafeaters the whole initiative for the tracks in the snow would lead Ozzy directly to the leafeaters. Ozzy cast an examining look up to the sky. Not a single cloud was in sight, so there was no snowfall impending that could have covered up the tracks, at least not during the next few hours. Ozzy grinned maliciously. Tomorrow the grasseaters would experience an unpleasant surprise.

It was dawning already when Ozzy woke up Strut quietly and told him about the tracks. “So you’ll go on slowly with these two grasseaters over there…” Ozzy pointed with his head at Littlefoot and Ducky who still slept sound and profound, “…while I’ll follow the tracks as fast as I can. With a bit of luck I can surprise the other grasseaters and then we’ll have them. But be careful Strut. They’ll probably try to free those over there”, again he nodded in the direction of Littlefoot and Ducky. “Don’t admit that or you be badly off!” Strut nodded hasty and purposed not to let any of them escape, whatever might happen. “Okay Strut”, said Ozzy. “And if the leafeaters ask any questions, then ignore them!” “Yes Ozzy!” “Good, then I’ll set off now. Wake up the grasseaters and go the way we would have taken usually.” With that Ozzy turned around and ran back to the point where he had found the tracks. Strut sighed quietly and woke Littlefoot and Ducky then.

Chapter LIX

“Here he comes!” called Cera quietly to the others and he is really all alone with Ducky and Littlefoot. Just as I have hoped. The others too peered carefully over the boulders behind which they were concealing. Cera’s call also woke Petrie who had lain down once more after he had kept watching during most of the night. One eggeater came along the slope and aside him went Littlefoot. Around his neck lay the liana of which Petrie had told yesterday. The eggeater, whose nose showed no scratches as they recognized when they looked carefully, held the other end of the liana in his hand. Ducky sat on Littlefoot’s back. Apparently the eggeater was of the opinion that she would on the one hand be to slowly to flee and on the other hand wouldn’t flee without Littlefoot. He was right in both respects. The dusk had given way for the still a bit dull, yellowish light of the sun that rose behind the mountains in the east. The sky was vaporous and in the deeper dales of the mountains a slight ground fog had accumulated. It was a very cold morning and Cera, Spike, Petrie, Ali and Chomper shivered. For her big satisfaction Cera saw that the eggeater was not only alone, but also went on the narrow plain stripe of ground that would lead him directly into the trap, just as she had supposed and hoped. “Get ready!” said Cera and everybody took position behind the boulders they had placed providently at the edge of the shelf. When the eggeater would arrive there down below, then a real hail of boulders and stones would patter down on him. Cera looked again over to the eggeater who went on slowly, but purposively. “He probably doesn’t want to get a too big start his brother”, thought Cera, Littlefoot went, just as if he would anticipate anything as far apart from the eggeater as the liana allowed. So he and Ducky wouldn’t be in danger to be hurt by the “hail of stones” they had earmarked for the eggeater.
“Just perfect!” thought Cera satisfied. The time and with it also the eggeater seemed to advance plainly as slow as a snail. Finally only a short piece of way separated the eggeater from the rocky ledge. Chomper grinned and whispered quietly to Cera: “That’s great. That with the scratched nose waits probably already impatiently for us.” “Or he is getting hungry now”, whispered Cera back quietly grinning likewise. “Or maybe he is wondering already if we might have taken another way that doesn’t lead into his ambush”, whispered Ali chuckling. “Or maybe he is already wondering whom of you he shall eat first!” Cera’s, Spike’s, Petrie’s, Ali’s and Chomper’s hearts stopped beating for a moment. Their blood seemed to freeze in their veins and they could neither breathe nor speak and it cost all their strength to turn round. It had been Ozzy who had spoken and his face appeared not only because of the scratched nose, but far more because of the bestial triumphing grinning sheer disfigured. “How…?” gasped Cera and tried to regain her breath. “You should better not be so loud if you eavesdrop on us at night”, said Ozzy and sparkle maliciously at Petrie who starred back like being paralyzed. “And if you’ve to cry around, then you shouldn’t do that when we are nearby and can hear you. Especially if you leave so distinct tracks behind, but why do I give you advices anyway? You won’t be able to follow them anymore!” Ozzy guffawed and waved at Strut. “I got them Strut! They’re up here”, called Ozzy. “No!” cried Littlefoot and Ducky desperately like out of one mouth. Ozzy stepped towards his victims whose only way of escape was cut. They couldn’t do anything but screaming. Screaming at the tops of their voices as loud as they could. They screamed so loudly that it resounded dull from the mountains. And for their surprise this seemed to impress Ozzy anyhow, for he stopped and snapped: “Be quiet! Shut up! Stop crying or there’ll be an avalanche!” But it was to late. A loud pealing and rumbling like of distant thunder sounded and then the snow above on the steep slope set in motion. A giant snow slab detached from the blanket of snow and slid, driving a big cloud of drizzling powdery snow ahead, down the slope and towards the shelf on which Ozzy, Ali, Chomper, Petrie, Spike and Cera were.

“Ozzy look out!” called Strut and starred terrified at the snow banks that slid towards his big brother. Strut had let the liana go with fear, but it didn’t occur to Littlefoot at all to run away while an avalanche slid towards his friends. He himself, Ducky and Strut were safe for they weren’t in the way of the avalanche. “Behind the rock!” shouted Ali and ducked behind a small rocky cone that was tightly connected with the shelf below. Cera, Spike and Chomper followed her. “Fly!” cried Cera at Petrie who still starred at the eggeater and the snow banks that tumbled at them behind him like being hypnotized. Petrie began to flap fiercely with his wings, but he came maybe because of his hurt wing, maybe because of the fright not as fast away from the ground as usually. Ozzy jerked round and looked out for a cover feverishly, but nowhere was a rock or anything else that would have been big enough to offer him cover at least nothing that was near enough to reach it before the avalanche was there. And then it was there. With huge force the avalanche swept Ozzy from his feet, down the shelf and buried him below snows. Petrie had only just escaped the most violent scope of the avalanche, but the force of the drizzling cloud of powdery snow that crimpled in front of and above the avalanche was enough to tear Petrie along and to hurl him on the ground, fortunately not into the way of the avalanche. Chomper felt unpleasantly remembered to the tidal wave, that had them separated him from his parents when the snow tore him from his feet. The snow swept on both sides around the rocky cone that had taken away the force of the first impact, but offered no cover now anymore. Cera, Chomper, Spike and Ali were simply swept along. They fell some meters, but then their bounce was softened by the snow that had slid over the edge of the shelf shortly before them. Further snow banks buried them below. But despite its effect it had been a comparatively small avalanche. The snow slab that had detached from the upper steep slope had decomposed to a mass of loose snow that stopped sliding on the plain stripe of ground already after a few meters and came to a standstill.

Timehopper

• Spike
    • View Profile
You're welcome, and sure you can call me by my name. I don't mind at all. :)

It's not your fault that you have grammatical/spelling errors in your story. I understand since I'm not a native speaker of English too. Plus, it didn't affect your storytelling which is spectacular. :)

In order to be a writer one has to write their pieces over and over again until all their errors have been corrected -- I learned that in my Creative Writing class last year.

I love the drawing you posted. It vividly demonstrates the scene with the avalance. :yes

Chapter LVIII:

- In the first paragraph: " “Everything goes like clockwork”, thought Cera satisfied" I don't think what Cera said in her mind makes sense since she's living during the Prehistoric times.

- In the second sentence: "...but he startled immediately" there should be was between he and startled.

- In the third sentence: "Alright" should be all right (unless it was your intention to use it for the dialogue -- in that case it's fine).

- In the fourth sentence: "Strut nodded tired" it should be Strut tiredly nodded due to verb agreement.

- In the last paragraph: "With that Ozzy turned round..." round should be around.

- Also in the last paragraph: "Ozzy grinned malicious" should be Ozzy maliciously grinned.

There's also a small error that I found in some sentences: to should too, like "too much."

Chapter LIX:

- In the first sentence: "There he comes!" should be "Here he comes!" Otherwise, it would seem as though Cera is implying that Ozzy is not really coming near them.

- In the third sentence: "...the boulders behind which they concealed too" there should be have between they and concealed.

- In the fourth sentence: "Cera’s call woke also Petrie who had lain down..." it should be also woke Petrie who have lain down.

I hope that helps. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting development and stopping place.  A cliffhanger can be interesting and well done, especially if not over done, though some genres lend themselves to having cliffhangers.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Darn me! :bang
Sometimes I just forget about a threat and remember more or less by accident. I'm sorry I kept you waiting :(
Thank you very much for your corrections Daly! :)
I applied them to the text and edited the last message so it now contains the corrected version. Clockwork... gee, today I would smack myself if I came up with that anachronistic formulation again :lol:
Thanks again for your help :)
Here are the next chapters:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Chapter LX

Littlefoot, Ducky and Strut starred like being paralyzed at the huge heap of snow that towered now below the shelf above which still drizzling powdery snow rose and was blown in every direction by a gentle breeze and in which Ozzy, Ali, Chomper, Spike and Cera were buried. “Ozzy!” cried Strut desperately and ran towards the heap of snow. Littlefoot looked after him a bit amazed, then he followed him whereby he made a roundabout to the spot where Petrie lay. When Littlefoot approached him Petrie stood already up slowly. “Petrie! Is everything alright?” called Ducky already from a far distance with a squeaking voice. And she bent so far forward on Littlefoot’s back that she almost fell forward. Petrie nodded only and looked with vitreous eyes up to the snow heap where Strut had already started to dig like a madman. “We have to see what’s about the others!” said Littlefoot and his voice trembled. “Yes, but what about the eggeater?” croaked Petrie exhausted. “He won’t inflict anything on us”, said Ducky. “Oh no. He searches for the other eggeater, oh yes he does.” Littlefoot set Petrie on his back and trotted despite Ducky’s words a bit hesitating towards the heap of snow too now. But suddenly he rushed of so suddenly that as well Ducky as Petrie tumbled down from his back. They clung to the liana that dangled from Littlefoot’s neck, but after they had been dragged along some meters through the snow they preferred to let it go. Bewildered they looked up and now they could recognize the reason for Littlefoot’s sudden hurry. Strut had dug somebody out of the snow, but it was not Ozzy. It was Ali. “Let her alone!” cried Littlefoot and rushed with bowed head at Strut, up the heap of snow. Strut however paid no attention to him at all, nor did he pay attention to Ali. Instead he simply dug on and called: “Ozzy! Ozzy can you hear me?” Littlefoot slowed his rush down a bit. He raised his head and ran towards Ali who dug herself further out of the snow. “Ali is everything okay with you?” asked Littlefoot a bit clamed as he saw that Ali had obviously not been hurt very much; and he helped her to come free of the snow completely. Ali nudged Littlefoot’s head with her own and she sobbed: “Yes with me, but what about the others?” Littlefoot gulped: “We must dig them out Ali! And we must hurry!” Petrie and Ducky reached the top of the heap of snow just when Ali had freed herself out of the snow completely. “Where…”, gasped Ducky, “…are they?” Littlefoot looked around helpless and desperately when the snow aside Ducky set in motion and a horned head made its way to the surface. Cera fetched deep breath and doubled her efforts to come out. Immediately the others surrounded her and helped her as good as they could. “Cera, everything is…?” Petrie began, but Cera interrupted him: “Of course! I’m okay!” She wheezed with exertion and levered herself up, out of the snow. “Spiky must be directly here too”, panted Cera who was more weakened than she wanted to admit. They found Spike shortly after. He trembled all over, either because of the coldness or because of the exertion, but he seemed to be well according to the circumstances. “Now only Chomper is still missing”, wheezed Littlefoot of whom the strains had also demanded their tribute. “Has any of you roughly an idea where he has to be?” everybody shook affected his or her heads. “I’m not even sure if he has made it behind the rock”, said Cera contritely. “I’m not either”, admitted Ali. “I haven’t paid attention to it anymore.” Spike shook his head and uttered some wretched noises. “But where shall we seek then?” asked Littlefoot desperately. “It lasts to long to dig all this up”, said Ducky, “Far, far to long!” “Ozzy?” shouted Strut suddenly. Nobody had paid attention to him and Spike got a dreadful scare, as he had not even noted him so far. Strut had meanwhile dug a notable big hole into the snow and had chanced upon a claw-armed hand. “Ozzy? Is that you?” asked Strut while he exposed a whole arm. For a grownup eggeater was the arm far to small, but Strut didn’t seem to notice that in his agitation. Also that the arm began to slash wildly at Strut was not a sure sign that it was not Ozzy. “That’s Chomper!” called Littlefoot relieved. Strut avoided a new slash of the arm, cast a disappointed look at him and began to dig a few steps away. Littlefoot jumped, followed by the others into the pit Strut had dug. Littlefoot ran to the arm that towered out of the snow and escaped within hair’s bread a new slash that would have surely left painfully scratches behind. “Chomper, it’s us. We get you out”, called Littlefoot, but the arm thrashed still wildly around in the air. “Sharpteeth!” hissed Ali angry and said so quietly that Littlefoot didn’t hear it: “Maybe he prefers to stay down there.” “Help me Petrie!” shouted Ducky suddenly without any further explanations and was with a few leaps, skilfully avoiding the slashes by the arm that she pressed down now with her whole weight. Petrie landed aside Ducky and together they made to tame the refractory arm. “Great!” called Littlefoot and began with Cera’s, Spike’s and Ali’s support to dig out Chomper. Chomper was not unconscious, but he was not really in his senses either. He slashed around himself and prattled incoherent words, soon Ducky and Petrie had to tame more than one arm; the digging out assumed really perilous dispositions and Ali began to protest loudly. Littlefoot had already learned about the quarrel between Ali and Chomper from Cera and Petrie and suddenly he said: “Ali?” “Yes?” “I want you to promise me something.” “And what?” “If things become dangerous, then behave against him…”, he pointed at Chomper with his head, “…exactly like you would behave against me.” “What?” “Do you promise that?” Ali hesitated shortly, then she nodded. “I promise it.” “No! The water! Where are you? They come! Mummy, where are you? Daddy I’m hungry!” called Chomper and it was really uncanny to listen to him and in his eyes flared an even more uncanny savageness. Spike had meanwhile stopped digging and helped Petrie and Ducky as well as he could. Chomper was anyway nearly completely exposed. Littlefoot bent down to him and said with a calm voice: “Chomper, wake up!” “No, no it is to hot!” cried Chomper like being mad. “Well, that is something we really can’t complain about”, said Cera jejunely and expired a big cloud of exhalation. Her words draw a grinning from everybody but Littlefoot who was abundantly occupied with Chomper. “Chomper!” he murmured. “Chomper, recover your senses!” It was as if Littlefoot’s voice would have a calming effect on Chomper, for his resistance weakened and his look cleared slowly. “Li… Littlefoot?” aspirated Chomper. “Yes, can you hear me?” Chomper nodded. With every instant he seemed to become more conscious and more and more the wild uncanny sharptooth diminished from him. “What has happened?” asked Chomper still pretty bewildered. “Don’t you remember?” asked Littlefoot. “You…”, he hesitated as he remembered that he himself didn’t know what the others had experienced since yesterday morning. “Cera you tell better.” Cera told short and to the point more for Littlefoot and Ducky than for Chomper who seemed to remember to everything meanwhile. She had just ended when they suddenly heard Strut calling again. “Ozzy!” Chomper jerked frightened, but Ducky calmed him hasty: “It is those with the unhurt nose and he is busy with digging out the other one at the moment.” Cera turned slowly round and went hesitating a few steps towards Strut. The others followed her doubtfully too. This time Strut had really found Ozzy. He still seemed to be a bit numbed, but he troubled with all his might to shovel himself out of the snow. Finally Ozzy stood up and shook himself. Instinctively Littlefoot fell back one step. He was not sure if Ozzy was a danger at the instant. Ozzy answered this question in his own way. “They’ve escaped you?” he hissed at Strut and he seemed to want to pounce upon him. “No!” shouted Strut hasty and pointed at Littlefoot and the others who stood up at the edge of the pit he had dug. “There they are!” Of course Strut had just now thought of that for before he had been entirely busied with the search for Ozzy. The ungrateful behaviour of his brother disappointed Strut a bit, although he was almost accustomed to it. Ozzy jerked round and became aware of the leafeaterkids first now. It flashed threatening in his eyes when he beheld Chomper too. “Snap them!” he cried and rushed off. Littlefoot, Cera, Spike, Ducky, Ali and Chomper jerked round and took flight. Petrie swung himself high up into the air to come out of range of the eggeaters. Ozzy stopped for a short moment and searched the ground hasty for stones, but he didn’t find any in the snow heap of the avalanche. Then he had to let the flyer fly and catch the others himself. He stormed on.

Chapter LXI

“I really don’t know if I shall abominate how evil he is or admire how much he can suffer”, gasped Littlefoot to Cera while he was running. “Yeah”, she agreed. “He has just been dug out and thinks of nothing but to do us in.” “Do us in?” panted Ducky down from Littlefoot’s back. She had swung up there again and clung as firm as she could to Littlefoot’s neck and the liana that still dangled down from it. She didn’t like the way Cera spoke at all. They all rushed down the steep slope now to come on faster. Littlefoot had nearly the impression that he braked more, not to loose the hold completely on the slope, than he ran. “Are they…”, gasped Ali, “…after us Ducky?” Ducky looked back and had to recognize for her big fright that the eggeaters were not only after them, but had even closed up a big distance. “Yep!” cried Ducky panicky. “They come nearer! They catch us!” Littlefoot cast a short look back too and recognized the seriousness of the situation. “We have on other choice”, combed Littlefoot. “We have to separate!” “Oh no! Not again”, moaned Ali. “Why?” “Maybe we win a lead if they can’t decide quickly whom of us they shall follow”, wheezed Littlefoot as an answer and turned sharp off to the left. Spike who was the last made barely the curve and followed Littlefoot. “Hey!” called Ali after them surprised and slowed down. She would have preferred to stay with Littlefoot. “Forward!” ordered Cera harshly and Ali ran on. Chomper ran aside Cera too and kept up with them saliently; despite of his only two legs. Apparently he had completely recovered from the avalanche. Nobody knew where Petrie was, but they didn’t worry about him. He circled high up in the air and observed the happenings from above.

Ozzy reached, with Strut at his heels, the spot where the leafeaters had separated. He braked and hissed furiously. The longneck with the swimmer on his back and the spikedtail ran on to the left towards a long rocky wall in which the narrow entrances of several gorges gapped like deep cracks. The threehorn, the other longneck and the sharptooth ran straight on, down the slope. He had to decide quickly which group he should follow otherwise their lead would become to big. His nose itched and convinced him that he had to revenge it on the sharptooth. “This way Strut!” ordered Ozzy morosely and pointed after the longneck, the spikedtail and the swimmer. “I’ll snap the others!” “But…” “Go on Strut! And don’t let them escape!” with that Ozzy rushed down the slope while Strut took a bit hesitating the pursuit of Littlefoot, Ducky and Spike; he would have preferred to stay with his brother.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Here are the next two chapters:

Chapter LXII

“Are they…”, moaned Chomper, “…still after us?” Cera almost sprained her neck by the try to continue running and cast a look back simultaneously. “Only one”, wheezed Cera, “But he comes nearer!” “Those with the scratched nose?” panted Ali. “I guess so”, answered Cera and tried to recognize the eggeater clearly. “Look out!” cried Chomper suddenly, but his warning came to late. A small snow covered boulder towered up in front of Cera and nobody had recognized it in time. Cera cast her look forward again, recognized the danger and tried simultaneously to brake and to avoid, but she couldn’t prevent the collision anymore. A splinting pain flashed along up her left foreleg that had hit the boulder. Cera tripped and was hurled forward by the swing of her run. She flew through the air for a few split seconds, then she bounced on the slope and began to roll down it unstable. Vainly she tried to find hold anywhere. There was none. She heard Chomper and Ali calling from the distance. It was as if hundreds of blows would patter on her when she tumbled down the stony slope tumbling over again and again. Only the blanket of snow softened her fall a little bit. She couldn’t do anything but cowering up as close as she could to protect as much of her body as possible. Meanwhile she was far to fast for breaking without injuring by it and moreover she had lost her bearings completely. She didn’t know anymore where was above and where was below and she was so dizzy that she got a headache and became sick. Just when she believed not to be able to suffer it anymore she bounced on hard stony ground, what took her breath away for a moment. Then she came at last to lay still.

Chomper hesitated only for a few seconds when Cera tumbled down the slope. Then he pointed to the left at the rocky wall with the many gorges. In one of it Littlefoot, Ducky and Spike had disappeared, pursued by Strut. “This way!” called Chomper and ran of towards one of the gorges. Ali hesitated shortly before she followed Chomper and then she followed him only because the eggeater approached dangerously again. Ali made to catch up with Chomper and she called angrily: “Why this way? We must help Cera!” “Yeah!” hissed Chomper. “We will be a great help to her if we lead the eggeater directly to her. But if you know how to stop Cera; now’s the time to do it!” Ali swallowed a sharp response for she had to see that Chomper was right. If the eggeater continued pursuing them at least Cera would be safe of him now. Ali hoped that Cera hadn’t injured severely during the tumble. Chomper worried too and simultaneously he regretted his harsh answer when he saw Ali’s anxious face. “I’m sorry”, said Chomper quietly and Ali nodded curtly.

Ozzy braked his run, pondered feverishly and looked hasty alternately after the threehorn and the longneck and the sharptooth. Whom should he pursuit? The threehorn was sure pray to him if he followed it, for after this tumble it surely wouldn’t be able to flee anymore. But he would have to climb down the whole slope to catch up with it. Moreover his nose itched because of the cutting cold wind that howled along the slope. He had to catch this sharptooth, and he had to hurry for the sharptooth and the longneck had reached the entrance of one gorge. Ozzy turned to the left and rushed on.

Chapter LXIII

“I think we’ve escaped them”, said Littlefoot and began to slow down. Spike did the same with a relieved sigh. “When have you seen the eggeaters for the last time Ducky?” inquired Littlefoot and stopped completely now. “Shortly after we had reached the gorge”, answered Ducky and jumped down from Littlefoot’s back. “But it was only Strut, those with the unscratched nose. I guess the other one pursuits Cera, Ali and Chomper.” Littlefoot looked around. During their flight they had traversed numeral narrow gorges. Some of them had been so narrow that there hadn’t been any snow on the ground. Of course this could only be all right with them, for so they hadn’t left such a clear track behind. Several times their way had forked and they had decided spontaneously for one of the possible ways. It would be very difficult for the eggeaters to find them here. They were now on a narrow rocky ledge to whose side the rocky wall rose perpendicularly. To their left was a deep narrow canyon. Ducky seized the liana noose around Littlefoot’s neck. Littlefoot bent his head down and Ducky stripped the liana off over Littlefoot’s head and threw it aside inattentive. “If the others were as lucky as we are?” asked Littlefoot worried. “I hope so!” answered Ducky and nodded by it to lay more stress upon her words. “What about Petrie?” “About him you don’t need to worry, oh no. He has surely escaped. I’ve seen how he flew high up.” “Well, let’s hope the best. At the moment we can’t do anything but waiting.” “Waiting? Upon what?” Littlefoot shrugged. “For anything to happen. I hope that Petrie will find us soon. Maybe he knows also what has happened with the others.” Spike uttered an uneasy whimpering. He stood close to the brink of the canyon and looked into the deep. Littlefoot and Ducky followed his example. They shuddered for the canyon was so deep that they could hardly recognize its ground in the darkness, but finally they recognized that the ground of the canyon was covered by a broad, frozen river. “Probably it is the river on which we wanted to walk on first.” “It was probably a luck for us that we couldn’t do that anymore”, murmured Ducky. “Who knows where this giant canyon ends.” “Maybe where it is warmer”, said Littlefoot musing and let his eyes travel along the canyon in the direction where the sun had just reached its highest stand. “Look out!” Petrie’s warning cry let all of them jerk round and avoid instinctively. Behind them stood Strut and he seemed to be about to pounce upon them. Littlefoot threw himself to the side and Strut missed him by a hairs breadth. The swing with which he had wanted to pounce upon Littlefoot let Strut loose his balance. He fell down, slid on on the slippery snow, over the edge of the rocky ledge. Ducky’s jaw sagged down and Spike let a short cry of fright here. For some moments there was absolute silence. Petrie flapped along. Apparently he had found them in the same instant like Strut and it was only because of his warning cry that Strut hadn’t surprised them completely. Petrie staggered in his fly and that was surely not only because of his hurt wing. Littlefoot starred like being paralyzed at the edge of the rocky ledge. Ducky awoke first from her torpidity. With two quick steps she went to the edge of the canyon and looked down. She uttered an amazed yell that rose the others from their numbness and made them following Ducky’s example. Strut hadn’t precipitated. But still his situation was anything but enviable. Falling he had made to claw to a rocky edge only a tiny distance below the ledge. There he hung now and his eyes twitched restlessly from one corner on his eyes to the other as if he would look out desperately for anything. The rocky edge to which Strut clawed didn’t make a very stable impression and it began already to crumble below his weight. “We must get him up here!” said Ducky hasty and very determined. “But…”, croaked Petrie frightened, “…he’ll tear us to pieces yet.” “If we rescue him?” asked Ducky unbelieving. “Remember the other one after he had just been dug out after the avalanche“, interjected Littlefoot. “Put yourselves into his place!” called Ducky angry and added when Petrie didn’t seem to be very impressed: “I mean if you wouldn’t be a flyer. We must get him!” “But how?” asked Littlefoot. Strut hung to deep down to reach him. Suddenly Spike drew the attention on himself by uttering some noises. In his mouth he held the liana that had hung as a noose around Littlefoot’s neck few minutes ago. “You’re full genius Spiky!” rejoiced Ducky, snapped the liana and let it down to Strut. Spike held the other end of the liana between his teeth and also Littlefoot grasped at the liana with his teeth. “Hold on to it!” called Ducky to Strut who didn’t need to be told that twice and gripped the liana between his teeth too, since he didn’t dare to let the crumbling rocky edge go from his hands. “Now pull!” ordered Ducky and began to tug the liana with all her strength too. Petrie mumbled something unintelligible, landed on Spike’s head and pulled at the liana as strong as he could. “We are so stupid!” said Littlefoot through gritted teeth. “That’s stupid!”
“Yep, yep, yep! It is!” panted Ducky and tugged even firmer. “But imagine yourself in his place.”
“Pshaw!” growled Littlefoot. “He surely wouldn’t help us. And if he would…” In this moment the rocky edge to which Strut had clawed broke away. With a vehement wrench Ducky was torn over the canyon-edge too now, uttering a frightened yell. But she clung to the liana as firm as she could. Littlefoot and Spike had to lean with all their might against the pull that dragged them towards the mortal abyss. For an eternity, it appeared to Littlefoot, that the liana didn’t move an inch. He bit so firmly on the liana that his teeth hurt and he nearly wondered that the liana wasn’t crunched. And then, very slowly the liana moved piece by piece back upwards. At the edge of the rocky ledge the liana scoured so firmly along that single fibres tore apart. But the liana held. Littlefoot sweated, despite the coldness, from all pores. An indescribably relief came over him when Ducky was again on the level of the canyon brink and climbed upon the ledge by her own strength, to grasp at the liana again immediately and pull with all her might. “And if he would help us…” Littlefoot picked up their dispute again, “…then only to eat us after that or to bring us to his brother.” Ducky didn’t answer for a long while. “Put yourself in his place!” she moaned finally again. “I can do that very well!” answered Littlefoot immediately through a corner of his mouth. “When we’ve met them the first time…”, he gasped for breath shortly, “…then when we’ve come to know Chomper, he wanted to throw me down the Great Wall and if Chomper’s parents wouldn’t have appeared… he would have done it!” Ducky didn’t answer anymore but pulled only obstinately at the liana, that was meanwhile so far up that they all could fall back some steps from the canyon. Ducky didn’t know herself why she stood up for the behalf of this mean eggeater so much, but simultaneously she knew that everything else would have been wrong. Suddenly the strong pull slackened. Strut’s arms had found hold up at the ledge and he just propped up himself over the brink of the canyon, breathing heavily. “Run!” called Littlefoot and let the liana go by that. Ducky was with a few wide leaps by Spike who was still completely out of breath and swung herself up on his back. Petrie flatted over to Littlefoot’s head and Spike and Littlefoot fled as fast as they still could despite their exhaustion. Strut had now levered his whole body up on the ledge. Every muscle in him seemed to tremble and he breathed only stagnantly and by jerks. He kneeled on the ground and tried to come on his feet again, what however was pretty difficult for him. He raised his head troublesome and looked after the leafeaters now who had just saved his life and who fled of him now. Strut raised one arm and tried to wave after the leafeaters. “Wait! Wait I don’t want to do anything to you!” he wanted to call after the leafeaters, but the words passed his lips too quietly for any of the leafeaters to hear.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry, I sort of forgot about this thread for a while :bang
The next chapter is accompanied by a picture which an aunt of mine once pointed out to look suggestive. It is certainly not meant to be, but I can't deny that I see where she was coming from. The picture looks out of proportion with Ozzy appearing to be smaller than Ali.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Here are the next two chapters:

Chapter LXIV

Chomper and Ali hadn’t gone far into the labyrinth of gorges when they suddenly couldn’t go on anymore. Every time where the gorge had forked they had taken the left way since Littlefoot, Spike and Ducky had to be anywhere in this direction. And now the gorge they just traversed ended, after there hadn’t been any branches already for a while in an impasse without any way leading out. They hadn’t seen the eggeater for a long while, but they knew that he was upon their tracks and sometimes they had been able to hear him during their flight since the reverberation in this narrow gorges made every quiet sound far off audible. “Oh no!” gasped Chomper. “Here it does not go on.” Both stopped and listened. Apart from their own rustling breath they could hear the quiet, scratching sound of claw armed feet on rocky ground. “He is after us!” moaned Ali. “We can’t go back anymore.” Chomper looked around feverishly. Everywhere lay boulders of different seizes scattered. Some meters above the ground, unattainable for him or Ali was a rocky ledge that seemed to lead back through the gorge above the way on which they had come. There was no other issue and this one was too high to reach for Chomper or Ali. Suddenly a thought struck Chomper. For him or Ali the ledge was unattainable, but was it also for him and Ali? “Come along!” ordered Chomper and ran to one place where some poked up boulders lay and climbed upon them. Ali followed him in respectful distance. The scratching noise of Ozzy’s steps had become louder. Even on the boulders still a respectable distance separated Chomper from the edge of the ledge. “Come over!” he called to Ali. She came only very hesitating. “Now come on! Hurry up!” When Ali had arrived by him he approached one step towards her and said hasty and very quiet lest that the eggeater could hear them: “Lift me up there!” and he pointed with his head up to the ledge. Ali had fallen back some steps from Chomper as if she feared that Chomper was going to assail her. “Why should I?” she asked irritated. “You want to beat it.” “No I don’t!” answered Chomper angry. Ozzy’s steps were already very near. “What else?” Suddenly Chomper approached Ali with a quick step so she had no occasion to fall back from him, lay her his claw armed hands on the shoulders and looked at her urgently, nearly imploring. “Ali”, he said hasty but simultaneously with a great persuasive power in his voice. “You don’t like me and I don’t like you very much either, but if we want to come out here again, then we simply have to stick together now and to trust each other!” For some moments they looked each other firmly in the eyes; then Ali nodded. With a few steps she was at the rocky wall and stood up on the hind legs while she while she propped against the rocky wall with her forelegs. Chomper followed her hasty and began to climb on her back.
Ali crept when she felt the claws on her back. Chomper climbed on her head and Ali felt as if her neck would break below the weight, but still she made with all her strength to crane her neck far up to whereby she had nearly lost her balance. Chomper made to grasp the edge of the ledge, but with his thin arms he had big difficulties to pull himself up. Ali shoved him on as well as she could, then she let herself down on her four legs. Chomper had made it. Ali ducked behind the boulders that were of course not approximately big enough to conceal her. When Ozzy reached the end of the gorge a few seconds later he discovered Ali immediately. A malicious grinning was on his face when he approached exaggerated slowly towards Ali who had no chance to escape. But when Ozzy stood in front of her and looked around searching the grinning made room for a furious, hateful and threatening look. Slowly he bent down to Ali, who fell back even closer to the rocky wall upon that, and hissed: “Where is the other one?” Ali believed to hear a dragging sound as if stones would be dragged over another. “Who?” she stuttered and tried desperately not to look up to the rocky ledge. Every muscle in her body seemed to astringe convulsively and it was an effort for her to breathe. “Don’t pretend to be so stupid!” snarled Ozzy and made a leap towards Ali so she thought in the first instant that he would assault; she receded even closer to the wall. “Of course I mean the sharptooth”, growled Ozzy. “Besides I can really be only ceaselessly speechless that you associate with this dregs.” He wiped over his nose with the back of his hand. Ali remained quiet. Again she believed to hear the dragging noise, but Ozzy didn’t seem to notice anything. Whereat did Chomper wait? And did he wait at all? What was he going to do? Was he going to do anything at all? Thousands of questions flashed through Ali’s mind and prevented her from conceiving a clear thought. “Where is he?” The tone of Ozzy’s question let Ali understand undoubted that Ozzy would make short work of her if she wouldn’t answer at all. “He is gone”, she said elusively and since her answer obviously didn’t satisfy Ozzy she added hasty: “We have separated.” Ozzy sighed quietly, shook his head and advanced another step towards Ali. Ali touched the rocky wall with her back when she tried to fall back one step. “No”, said Ozzy calmly. “That’s not true. We eggeaters don’t have as shrivelled senses as you leafeaters. I know the sharptooth is nearby. I could smell him if my nose wouldn’t be so injured at the moment.” Ali gulped. She shuddered. Again she believed to hear the dragging sound. The eggeater would kill her. What would Littlefoot say and the others? Why did Chomper nothing? Or… wasn’t he nearby at all anymore? “It appears that the sharptooth has forsaken you?” said Ozzy and his voice sounded pretended compassionate. “That’s how sharpteeth are. You’re only useful as food for him or to help him to reach warmer regions or…”, now Ozzy grinned again, “…to scarify yourselves for him while he flees.” “That’s not true”, said Ali very quietly. She hardly dared to admit to herself that she nearly believed what the eggeater said. Simultaneously she didn’t want to give up the last hope and admit that
Chomper had really fled. “You know it’s true”, said Ozzy who was sure now to have found a sore spot by Ali. Ali kept quiet. “But now about you”, said Ozzy suddenly with a completely different tone. Ali thought her heart would stop beating when Ozzy began to click with his claws threatening. Ali’s stomach seemed to change to a heavy stone suddenly. “I make you an offer”, said Ozzy and advanced another step. Ali leaned against the rocky wall as if she would hope that the rocky wall would give in behind her. Of course the rocky wall didn’t give in, but Ali lost her balance and fell hard on her back; Ozzy was over her immediately. She closed her eyes. Ozzy sniggered. “Don’t you want to listen to my offer at all?” Ali opened her eyes again. Ozzy stood over her and bent over her. His face with the injured nose was only a tiny distance from Ali. Again she heard a dragging from a seemingly endless distance. “Do you see my nose?” asked Ozzy. Ali became sick of his bad breath. She nodded only. “The sharptooth shall rue for it. And that is for the instant more important to me than to kill you.” Ali didn’t say anything. Did the eggeater mean what she thought what he meant? “Tell me where the sharptooth is, then I’ll let you go for this time.”

Ali opened her mouth to say anything, she didn’t know what. She thought of the promise she had give to Littlefoot. Chomper hadn’t done anything to help her, it would be no more but fair if she would betray him to survive herself. Them she would be able to go back to go back to the others, to Littlefoot. But would the eggeater keep his word at all? And would she be able to look Littlefoot ever into the eyes again? Would he understand if she would tell him what had happened into this gorge? And had Chomper really forsaken her? “No!” answered Ali all this questions to herself and only a moment later she became aware of that she had called out this answer loudly. Also good. Every trace of a smiling or grinning disappeared from Ozzy’s face that suddenly looked like being petrified. “Well”, he said and his voice sounded cold and cutting. “Then say goodbye!” Ozzy rose his head and lowered his arms instead. He spread the claws and moved his hands towards Ali’s neck. Ali closed her eyes. “Littlefoot that’s it”, she thought when she felt Ozzy’s claws at her neck, “I’ve kept my promise.” She heard a hollow knock and opened her eyes. Was it already over? But Ozzy stood still over her. His arms sank down strangely slack, without the claw grating her neck. His face had lost every feature. He reeled. Ali rolled herself to the side with a surprised outcry and made barely to come away in time before Ozzy’s heavy body impacted on the ground. Down from his head slid a big boulder that had obviously hit Ozzy with its full weight. Ali looked at it with wide opened eyes. Then she looked up to the rocky ledge where Chomper just spitted in his hands grinning broad. “So much concerning better senses”, said Chomper. “I already feared that he would hear how I have shoved this pebble there in position.” With these words he Chomper pointed at the boulder that lay aside Ozzy and for which “pebble” was a boundless understatement. “I’ve heard it”, said Ali and she sounded pretty tired. “But I didn’t know what it was. I didn’t know that it was you.” Chomper looked at her surprised and jumped down from the rocky ledge onto the highest boulder. He bent in his knees slightly and climbed down to Ali then. “So…”, he said and smiled by it, “…you didn’t betray me although you didn’t know if I would do anything for you?” Ali nodded. Chomper became a bit more earnest: “So you did not believe me before?” Ali shrugged. “I don’t know”, she admitted. Chomper nodded. “Chomper. I want to apologize for some things I said.” Chomper nodded again. “Yes. I want too.” And suddenly the ice was broken. Both had to laugh. “What about him?” asked Ali and pointed with her head at Ozzy who still lay there unconsciously. Chomper went over to him with a few steps. “He’ll recover”, said Chomper after he had examined Ozzy shortly. “We should make that we come away from here.” “Yeah”, mumbled Ali still a bit faint and turned to go. What they had experienced had worn her out pretty much yet. “Wait!” called Chomper after her. Ali stopped and looked back. Chomper grinned a bit sly. “I want to give him a lesson!” with that he lifted one of his arms, spread the claws and slashed at Ozzy’s nose. Ali shuddered a bit by that view but she shared Chomper’s malicious joy too. Now they hurried to go in search of the others.
From there Ali and Chomper were friends. There are some things you can’t experience together without becoming friends. And what they had just experienced is surely one of these.

Chapter LXV

The rocky ledge at the brink of the canyon became more and more narrow. Littlefoot watched with apprehension that the way they walked became narrower and narrower. “We should have gone to the left at the last branching, away from the canyon”, thought Littlefoot. But they didn’t dare to go back for they still knew the eggeater behind them and he had meanwhile surely reached the last branching they had passed. So they had no other choice but to run on. But they didn’t run anymore, they nearly ambled for nobody wanted to risk to make a careless step and to fall down into the canyon. For long they walked one after the other since the way was not broad enough anymore to be able to go abreast. Littlefoot hoped the way would broaden again and he had sent Petrie ahead to scout if this hope was founded. He didn’t interpret it as a good sign that Petrie already returned now. He didn’t err. Petrie looked very worried and shook his head while he flapped in the air. Fortunately there was nearly nothing left to see of his injury. “The way stops!” croaked Petrie shortly. “Not even Ducky will fit through there.” “Oh no, no, no!” sighed Ducky and shook her head. Littlefoot fetched deep breath. “We must go back!” “But there’s the eggeater”, said Petrie with a tone as if he thought that Littlefoot had forgotten that. “We don’t know if he has continued following us. Maybe he is sick of it after what had happened”, said Littlefoot but he didn’t sound less discouraged than the others. “What choice do we have but to try it?” Spike uttered a low-spirited grumbling and began to turn round. This was not an easy venture for him and Littlefoot on the narrow path, but they made it. The broader the way became while they went back the more they hurried hoping yet to reach the branching before the eggeater. Soon Littlefoot and Spike could go side by side again and now they ran. All their hope vanished when they reached the branching. Strut had already arrived there and looked irresolute once at the one and then at the other way as if he didn’t know for which way he should decide. Littlefoot coursed inwardly. Probably the eggeater had arrived here only few moments before. If they would have come only a little bit earlier… Strut looked up and beheld them. He did not even seem to be very surprised. “Doesn’t it go on this way?” he asked as if he would speak with his brother. Littlefoot gnashed. He knew why he liked eggeaters even less than the horrible sharpteeth. They made at least no fun of their victims. Littlefoot didn’t answer, but Ducky shook her head. “Then go this way!” said Strut and pointed with one arm at the other way of the branching. Littlefoot looked up and also Spike, who had thrown himself on to the ground and concealed his eyes behind his forefeet, raised his head surprised. “You mean…”, asked Ducky carefully, “…that you’ll let us simply go?” Strut nodded. “But why?” asked Littlefoot disconcerted. Strut looked at him surprised. “You don’t know that?” he asked. “But I know what you’ve done before. And this is the least I can do to thank you.” “But you’re an eggeater!” said Littlefoot incredulous. “I know”, answered Strut melancholy and the next moment he answered irritated: “Do you want to be eaten?” Littlefoot shook his head hasty. “Then go now! And hurry!” “But what about your brother?” asked Ducky. “When he learns of this, what will he do with you?” Ducky got angry looks from Littlefoot, Spike and Petrie. It was crazy, but it seemed as if they wanted to persuade the eggeater not to let them escape yet. “I don’t know what he would do with me”, answered Strut. “But he does not have to learn it.” “And what about our friends?” asked Littlefoot sadly. “I don’t know”, answered Strut and he sounded compassionate. “But I can’t do anything for them. Go now and hurry!” “Thank you!” “Go before I change my mind! And don’t expect me to let you go another time.” Without any further word Littlefoot, Ducky, Spike and Petrie ran, respectively flew past Strut and disappeared in the other way of the branching. Strut looked after them and sighed quietly. Not even to himself he dared to admit that he would have favored to go with them. He turned round slowly and went back the way he had come before, thinking frantically about excuses for Ozzy.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sorry, it has been a while since I posted the last time. Not sure if this ancient story is read anyway.
Here are the next two chapters, one of which with a picture:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Chapter LXVI

Cera didn’t know how long she had already simply lain there. Now and then she had fallen asleep but startled shortly after since she remembered even in her dreams the grownups’ warnings never to fall asleep by this coldness as long as she was alone. After her fall there had been nearly no spot at her body that hadn’t hurt, but meanwhile the pain had diminished a bit. All in all she seemed to have been lucky for she didn’t seem to have gotten a lot of damage apart from an amount of abrasions and scratches and small black and blue marks. She hadn’t seen the eggeater anymore; apparently he had given up her pursuit and had hunted Chomper and Ali instead. Cera hoped that they and Littlefoot, Spike and Ducky too had escaped. For Petrie she worried the least; she had seen how he had flown high up out of the eggeaters range. Cera noted suddenly her burning thirst and looked around. Surprised she noted that there lay nowhere snow nearby. She stood up, jerked like being struck by a lightning, uttered a suppressed cry of pain and let herself drop again. A horrible pain had flashed up her left foreleg with which she had tripped over the boulder at the mountain’s slope. Cera didn’t stir for some instants until the pain had diminished a bit. With her right forefeet she wiped carefully the tears away that had spouted into her eyes, then she looked at her left foreleg. Below the knee it was swollen and it seemed to stand off in a quite strange angle. Apparently she hadn’t gotten off with such a trifling loss as she had thought fist, thought Cera anxiously. Very carefully she tried to draw her leg near to herself and she made it. Cera tried anew to stand up, but this time without burdening her left foreleg at all. She made this too. First time since her fall she looked around carefully. She was at the bottom of the slope, she had fallen down, in a kind of groove. The ground around was covered with small stones that had seemingly grinded round by water. It had to be the bed of a river that yet had no water at the moment. Above on the slope Cera could recognize snow, but down here was now snow anywhere. Now when she paid attention to it she noticed also that it was here so warm like she hadn’t experienced it for long. This didn’t mean much yet and it was still very cold, but Cera saw it as a new proof that they were on the right way. Suddenly she perceived a rippling she hadn’t noticed so far. She recognized that the riverbed, in which she was, was not completely dried up. In the middle of it was still a small stream. And this stream was not frozen. The very sight of it made Cera even thirstier, but the stream was to far away to reach it from where she was. She had to she had to try to go to the stream. Very carefully she lowered her left foreleg and tried to burden it. Immediately the pain flashed up again and Cera drew her leg on hasty. Dejected Cera looked at her leg. If she was unable to move at all then she would perish here. Her right foreleg began to tremble below the unaccustomed permanent load. Carefully she lay down again. She thought of the others. If they sought her? The eggeaters would probably not let them any occasion to do that. And even if they would find her, how would they be able to help her? Suddenly Cera became angry on herself. It was not her manner to give up so simply. She pulled herself together and tried to creep over to the stream, but again terrible pains flashed up her leg when it dragged over the ground. Then she remembered the many two legged dinosaurs, Ducky for example. It had to be possible for her too to move that way. With one jerk she erected on her hind legs to full size and she made to stagger one clumsy step forward. But then she fell forward and made barely to prop her fall with the right foreleg. Seemingly her body was simply not made to move on two legs. But considered carefully she had come nearer to her purpose and this small success encouraged her. Again she stood up on her hind legs, but this time she didn’t try to take the carriage of a bipod, but made a leap forward just like she would have done under normal circumstances, only that she could prop only with one leg while she still held the other pulled on closely. It worked amazingly well and she made the next leap and then another one. It was as if she would have had learned anew how to walk. In the long run this way of locomotion was surely very strenuous, especially for her right foreleg, but at least she could move at all. She wouldn’t die here! Cera made another leap and arrived by the stream. It was only a small streamlet but just at the point where she was now the stream broadened to a small strangely shaped pond, roughly about the size of Cera. She bent down, whereby she leaned on her right knee, and began to drink greedy. The water was icy cold, but just because of that very refreshing. After she had quenched her thirst she cast a look up to the bright circle to orientate. It had not reached its very highest point yet, but Cera recognized that her way would lead towards the rocky wall with the many gorges in which also Littlefoot, Spike and Ducky and maybe also Ali and Chomper had already disappeared. A bit helpless Cera looked up the mountains slope. Anywhere up there were the others probably, but how should she come to them? Even under normal circumstances it would have been a strenuous ascend, but with her injured leg it was nearly a task of impossibility. Cera looked over to the gorge in the rocky wall in which the stream disappeared. First she would follow this way and then, well, then… Cera didn’t know what to do then. She would probably have to wait for whatever would happen. The others would surely send Petrie out to search for her. If he would find her, and despite the terrain that could hardly be overlooked Cera had big confidence in Petrie in this regard, then he would lead her to the others. All in all her prospects where not as gloomy as they had appeared initially at all. Cera drew a deep breath and wanted to set out when she froze in motion all of a sudden. Along with the air she had sucked in a strange smell as well. Cera knew this smell. She has had it in her nose often enough. And then there was this pond in front of which she stood. Looking more carefully she noted again the strange longish shape of the deepening in which the water had gathered. The one side was round shaped while the other tapered in three points. Her whole optimism vanished without leaving a trace when Cera discovered the rows of deepenings that that all looked exactly like this one and that led along the river bed to the gorge through which her further way should have led. She was afraid for in her present condition she wouldn’t be able to shake off a sharptooth if it hunted her and that the deepenings were sharptooth tracks was out of question for Cera, although the footprints were not very deep in the stony ground. Although the smell that seemed to be mere distinctly in the air with every second came doubtlessly from a sharptooth. Cera knew this smell really well enough. Suddenly she felt a slight shook running through the ground and she saw the vibration on the water surface in the footprint in front of her. Another shock ran through the ground, a bit more distinctly this time than the first and Cera could hear the clacking that was caused by small stones vibrating from the shock.
The sharptooth came back!
Cera jumped up as fast as she could and tried to bring with her strange “hop gait” as much distance as possible between herself and the gorge from where the sharptooth had to come. Cera’s fright could not be expressed when the sharptooth appeared instead in front of her between the rocks. A giant dark green beast that seemed to be as surprised at Cera’s view as Cera herself, but of course it was not in the least frightened. Cera uttered a shrill yell, jerked round and leaped away with a speed she would have taken for impossible few instants ago; still she was of course considerably slower than usually and her closely drawn left foreleg began anew to hurt; Cera ignored it. She could hear how the sharptooth behind her started the pursuit with rumpling steps. But she made to reach the entrance of the gorge, maybe she had a tiny chance to shake off the sharptooth there. Within seconds she brought her new gait to a perfection as if she would have never walked differently. In the gorge were several branching and Cera soon left the broad riverbed and ran instead through the narrowest chasms she could find, to make the pursuit as difficult as possible for the huge sharptooth. Nevertheless she still heard its steps behind. With the time she heard them more and more quietly and when she didn’t hear them anymore at all she dared to stop and to rest for an instant. She had hardly any feeling in her overstrained right foreleg. Breathing heavily Cera looked around. She was at the moment in an a bit broader gorge whose ground was sandy. At warmer times a river floated here too probably and had deposited the sand. Suddenly Cera felt again a slight trembling of the ground. The sharptooth closed up. Cera jumped onto her three legs and ran off as fast as she could. But for Cera’s surprise the trembling of the ground seemed to become fiercer the further she ran. And then she got after Ozzy and the sharptooth a third time a shock she wouldn’t forget so soon. Again a sharptooth appeared in front of her although she had expected it behind herself. It was not the same like before. That one that appeared now in front of her was far brighter than the other. Probably it had been tracks of this sharptooth she had discovered before at the stream. Nearly mechanically, without thinking Cera jerked round and leaped away. She panted and her heard beat up to her throat while she ran back through the gorge through which she had come before.

But Cera’s run of ill luck didn’t end. She had not even the energy left to scream when the other, the darker sharptooth appeared now in front of her. In the corner of her eyes she saw a side gorge. It was the last, the only loophole for in front of her was the darker and behind her the brighter sharptooth. Cera rushed into the side gorge. “Maybe…”, she hoped, “…the two sharpteeth will go at each other and fight for the prey.” Then she would at least win a lead once more. But there were days on which everything went awry. The side gorge ended in a small box-canyon without any way out. The walls rose perpendicularly on all sides; Cera had run into a dead-end. In spite of everything Cera traversed the box-canyon up to the opposite wall before she stopped. Very slowly Cera turned round. The sharpteeth, far from fighting for the prey, pressed through the gorge into the box-canyon. Cera gritted her teeth and tried to keep her poise. But then she felt suddenly stupid. She had not the slightest chance to escape and she would be lacerated by two sharpteeth; what was the use of squaring her shoulders. This defiance would not have the slightest use for her. She let herself drop, stretched her left foreleg far away from herself while she pressed the right in front of her eyes not to have to see the sharpteeth at least. Thousands of thoughts flashed through her mind without any order. Littlefoot, Ducky, Spike and Petrie, herng or r, the Great Valley, Dinah and Dana. Cera heard the sharpteeth hissing and snarling and she would have like to stop her ears too. Probably these two monsters just came to terms who would get how much of her. Cera waited and waited, but the claw slash or bite on which she waited didn’t come. Finally she peered carefully out under her leg. Maybe the sharpteeth began yet to argue about the prey and she could sneak off unnoticed. The sharpteeth growled and hissed at each other, but from Chomper Cera new that this didn’t have to mean that they were arguing. Suddenly they seemed to calm down and one of them bent down to Cera. Cera didn’t even make to hide her eyes behind her leg; she simply closed them firmly. But the sharptooth didn’t bite her, but only sniffed at her whereupon it erected again. “I’m not sure. It doesn’t smell like then, far better”, let the sharptooth the other one know in the tongue of the sharpteeth. “But the boy had told us that he had hid them between the stinky green stuff then. No wonder it smells different now.” “However, I’m hungry. Aren’t you?” “I am, but if this threehorn is the same like then the boy would never forgive us that. And moreover, maybe the threehorn knows where he is.” “But what makes you think that this threehorn is the same like then?” “Have you forgotten that I’ve already seen the longneck of then during the fire in the valley the day before yesterday? Where he is, the boy has told us that, there are the others not far either.” “You’ve told that it had been two longnecks.” “Yes of course. But that does not make any difference.” “And wherefrom do you know that it was the longneck? If I’ve understood you right, you have seen it only for a few seconds.” “Still. I’m nearly sure to have recognized him.” “And how? For me all the leafeaters look the same anyway. And if it has been the longneck, why should he have fled from you?” “Maybe because we sharpteeth look all the same for them anyway”, answered the other sharptooth pointed. “And don’t forget that it is not advisable for them to look at one of us to long in a case of doubt.” The first sharptooth growled anything incomprehensible, then he nodded. “Well, we’ll see if this is the same threehorn like then. But if it is not…” “…then we have found at least a small snack”, the other sharptooth added jejunely. “The threehorn seems to have sprained one leg pretty much.” “Yea, I’m surprised that it could still flee so quickly.” “We’ll get it fixed.” “What are you doing?” “Don’t worry. I won’t hurt a hair of her, at most a leg. I’ve once seen how my father has done it with one of my brothers.” Cera had observed the sharpteeth with increasing astonishment. They seemed to be abundantly sunk in a kind of discussion. She looked at the sharpteeth more carefully and she noted that the brighter one had a distinctly scar on one upper thigh, like from the claw of another sharptooth. Could that, Cera held her breath, be Chomper’s parents? If so, then she still had a chance. Suddenly one of the sharpteeth bent down to her again and stretched his thin, claw armed arms out for her left foreleg. Immediately Cera closed her eyes again. The next instant she screamed. A pain that let her nearly go out of her mind flashed up her left leg. “He has torn it out!” thought Cera, as far as she thought at all, desperately. “The sharptooth has torn my leg out!” Seemingly endless seconds passed and very slowly the pain diminished. Cera opened her eyes. Her leg was not torn out, it did not even bleed. But now it looked far straighter than before. Cera looked amazed up to the sharptooth on whose face appeared something that might be a smile, but looked very threatening with the many glittering and sharp teeth. He had not torn her leg out, he had set it right. Cera let some seconds pass until the pain in her leg had disappeared nearly completely, then she stood up carefully. Cera uttered a surprised call. It still hurt, but not nearly as much as before and she could step on her left foreleg carefully now. “Thanks!” mumbled Cera bewildered, she knew nothing more original to say. She forced herself to a smile that looked probably very tormented. But suddenly a boundless relief came over her. She didn’t doubt anymore that it were Chomper’s parents, what other sharptooth would have cared for her leg. At least for the moment she was in safety.

Chapter LXVII

Ali rejoiced and pointed with her head at the sky. Chomper looked up. “It’s him!” called Ali, “That’s Petrie!” Chomper had recognized the tiny flyer high up above the gorge too. “Petrie!” he called at the top of his voice and Ali chimed in. the flyer seemed to stop amidst the air and to tilt forward. Then he dashed in a steep dive towards Ali and Chomper, flattened out with far spread wings and landed on Ali’s back. “Petrie!” called Chomper. “Hello. Where are the others?” Petrie looked at the both a bit disconcerted, but he didn’t answer but asked for his part: “Where are Cera?” Ali gulped. The relief to have escaped the eggeater themselves had let them forget Cera for a moment. “Don’t you have seen her?” asked Ali. “She has lost her hold at the slope and has tumbled down.” “We’ve run this way after that to divert the eggeater from her track”, added Chomper. “Oh no!” sighed Petrie. “The eggeater was then after us”, continued Ali. “And he had cornered us.” “But we’ve outwitted him, together”, Chomper finished the report. Petrie was astonished. Anyhow the both seemed to come along with each other far better than in the morning. But that the two had made to escape the eggeater astonished Petrie even more. “How have you outwitted him?” asked Petrie. “Not now”, averted Chomper. “We have to know what has happened with Cera. Please Petrie fly back to the slope and look out for her.” Petrie nodded. “We’ll try meanwhile to rejoin with the others”, said Ali. “Where are they Petrie?” “Not far if you fly, but farer when you walk”, said the flyer. “They’ve promised Petrie always to go straight on so me find them faster when me return. You go the best on the way you’ve gone so far. Then you’ll reach a deep crack with paths on both sides. The others will come on the path on the other side of the crack.” “That’s of no use for us”, Chomper interrupted Petrie impatiently. “Is there no way around the crack?” “You let Petrie finish. The crack ends after a while and the two paths run together to one path.” “Great”, said Ali. “Then we can meet the others there.” “Wait there for Petrie.” Chomper nodded: “Lead Cera that way when you’ve found her.” He preferred not to take the possibility into consideration that he might not find Cera. “And look out if the eggeaters gallivant around anywhere. I don’t think that they give up. What’s actually about the eggeater who has hunted the others?” “Let the others explain you that. You must hurry or you’ll miss them at the crack.” Ali nodded. “Let’s go!” she said to Chomper and set in motion. Chomper exchanged another short, grateful look with Petrie, who rendered them so many precious services, then he went too and the tiny flyer flapped away in the opposite direction.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Upon the risk of repeating myself: Sorry, it has been a while since I posted the last time. Here are the next three chapters (remember my English did have some serious shortcomings by the time I translated this):

Chapter LXVIII

Meanwhile Cera had tried everything to communicate with Chomper’s parents, but neither with her tries with gestures nor her with a pretty wretched and desultory imitation of the roaring of the sharpteeth had earned her more than bewildered looks. Yet Cera could understand the sharpteeth as less, but it was easy to conclude from their faces that the both took her for crazy and their conversation of growling seemed to be about that too. Cera could easy imagine that her chances to get off wouldn’t become better when she was not even able to communicate with them. She knew where Chomper was, at least she knew that he was there, anywhere nearby and this would surely interest the two sharpteeth. “I know where Chomper is!” said Cera certainly for the hundreds time. “So you understand that? Chomper! Chomper, Chomper, Chomper!” she said impatiently without obtaining more than to increase the confusion in the looks of the sharpteeth further. “Completely crazy!” snarled the sharptooth. “Yet it is probably not the same threehorn like then. Seems as if we haven’t found more than a small snack.” The other sharptooth didn’t answer, but nodded very slightly. Cera became increasingly nervous. She didn’t like the talking of the sharpteeth. She was nearly sure that whatever the both said it could not mean anything good for her. She became a bit angry. Why were these… these beasts not able to understand, that she was talking of their son when she rehearsed his name hundred times. Half angry, half nervous Cera pawed a small tray into the sandy ground. What should she do? Suddenly she hesitated and looked at the small hole she had dug. Of course! It was s time w Why hadn’t she thought of that before? With some quick steps she hobbled over to one place where the sand was still completely smooth. Surprised the sharpteeth looked at her. Cera concentrated and tried to visualize Chomper as good as she could. Then she drew with one foot, she used the recently reset leg for she had to stand on the other one, an undulated line into the sand. Cera worked on, watched by the curious sharpteeth until she had drawn a picture into the sand that resembled at least a bit to Chomper. But the sharpteeth still didn’t seem to understand. “Chomper!” said Cera once more, pointed at the picture in the sand and felt pretty silly by it. Desperately Cera looked first at the bewildered faces of the sharpteeth and then at her picture of which she had to admit to herself that it was difficult to recognize. Cera ran around the picture to the spot where Chomper’s head was and drew with a swift zigzag movement of her foot two rows of sharp teeth where Chomper’s mouth had to be. If that didn’t help, thought Cera, then she didn’t know on either anymore.” Suddenly the eyes of the one sharptooth widened. The sharptooth bent down over Cera’s drawing, looked then at Cera and uttered a growling that didn’t sound threatening, far more questioning, even in Cera’s ears. Cera smiled embarrassed and tried to imitate the growling of the sharptooth, what however sounded simply ridiculous. “Chomper!” she said once again. She couldn’t think of anything better. The sharptooth uttered once more the same, nearly gentle growling, pointed at the drawing and looked at Cera. And then she understood. This strangely gently growling had to be Chomper’s name in the tongue of the sharpteeth. Cera nodded fiercely and tried to imitate the grumbling as good as she could; it worked amazingly well and the sharpteeth seemed to understand. “Chomper!” said Cera and pointed with her head at the drawing, then she repeated the growling of the sharpteeth once more. Suddenly the sharpteeth uttered a roaring that let Cera first think that she would be done, but some instants later she recognized for her relief, by the behaviour of the sharpteeth that it had to be rejoicing. When the sharpteeth had cooled down a bit again Cera said what was of course pretty senseless: “Come along! I’ll lead you to Chomper!” Cera grinned slightly when she saw the bewildered faces of the sharpteeth. During her whole live she had never looked at a sharptooth, save Chomper, long enough to recognize that their miming hardly differed from those of the leafeaters. Cera made an unequivocal gesture to invite the sharpteeth to follow her and she imitated again the gentle growling. It still sounded a bit hoarse and stumbling, but it was distinctly enough. The sharpteeth seemed to have understood and followed her immediately. Suddenly Cera felt despite or maybe even because of the two sharpteeth so safety like she hadn’t felt for long. High-spirited she began to whistle a short melody while she tried not to put to much weight on her injured leg.

Chapter LXIX

Strut ran to meet his brother when he saw him coming through the gorge he just traversed himself in the opposite direction. It was probably more luck that brains to find each other again in this labyrinth. Ozzy reeled slightly and pressed one hand against his head. Strut stopped frightened when he noted Ozzy’s face. Strut was used to a lot from his brother, but so full of hate and rage he had never seen him before. “They’ve escaped you?” asked Ozzy and his voice sounded icy-cold and cutting. “You too, aren’t they?” asked Strut. He didn’t want to be questioned by Ozzy concerning the escape of the leafeaters and inwardly he prepared for the thunderstorm Ozzy would let come over him after this, for him impertinent answer. But for Strut’s big surprise the thunderstorm stayed away. Ozzy nodded only ashamed and took the hand away from his head whereby he uncovered a big, ugly bump. “How…?” snapped Strut surprised, but Ozzy warned off vigorously. “Never you mind!” he answered morose and fetched deep breath. “They’ve escaped you!” repeated Ozzy and in his eyes was a flashing that alarmed Strut very much. It looked as if Ozzy would get out of his mind. “It was not my fault”, said Strut hasty and got a bad conscience immediately, for he had lied. It had been his fault. He could have presented Ozzy all the leafeaters he had hunted here. What a triumph would it have been. But Strut knew that he would have had a bad conscience then too. The leafeaters had saved his life. For a moment it looked as if Ozzy wanted to pounce upon Strut. But then, very suddenly he sighed deeply and in the same moment the flashing vanished out of his eyes. Ozzy sat down on a boulder so abruptly that Strut jumped over to him hasty, since he thought that Ozzy would collapse. Ozzy made tiredly a calming gesture, lifted the head very slightly and looked at Strut out of deep dark eyes that looked like being extinguished suddenly. “Alright Strut”, he mumbled and let his head sink again. Strut waited, but Ozzy didn’t stir. The time seemed to pass endless slowly and finally Strut dared to approach his brother one step and lay one hand on his brother’s shoulder. “Ozzy?” Ozzy rubbed with one hand first over his head and then over the scratched nose that, as Strut noted first now, had two new, bloody scratches. Then he jumped suddenly up to jerky, that Strut uttered a surprised yell. Ozzy lay Strut both hands on the shoulders and looked at him penetrating. In his eyes was again a manic gleaming and he said completely convinced: “We’ll get them nevertheless! Won’t we Strut?” Strut noted a slight smiling around the corners of Ozzy’s mouth and he nodded but thereby he felt terribly wretched. “So here we go!” called Ozzy with sudden enthusiasm and rushed on through the gorge. Strut had problems to keep his pace. None of them had noted the tiny flyer at the sky.

Chapter LXX

Ali and Chomper had meanwhile reached the crack of which Petrie had told. It hadn’t been very far. While they followed its brink they looked unceasingly over to the other side hoping to see Littlefoot, Spike and Ducky. But they were nowhere in sight and Ali and Chomper became more anxiously with every step they made. When finally the point came in sight where the two side ledges of the crack ran together to form a new, broader way Chomper shook his head. “We must have missed them. They’ve probably come here before us.” Suddenly a smile appeared on Ali’s face. “No”, she pointed over to the other side. “Look!” Littlefoot stepped just followed by Spike with Ducky on his back out of a side gorge on the other side of the crack that separated them from each other. Ducky saw Ali and Chomper first. Enthusiastically she jumped up, pointed at the both and began to hop around on Spike’s back. Spike and Littlefoot chimed in in Ducky’s rejoice just like Chomper and Ali. Simultaneously they ran on to the point where the paths ran together and the crack ended. They reached the point at the same moment and embraced each other. “You’ve escaped him too?” called Littlefoot enthusiastically. “Yea!” called Chomper back high spirited. “And his nose looks even more ill than before now!” he grinned, rose one arm and spread his claws. Littlefoot noted that Ali neither started back nor screw up by this movement like she had always done before by these occasions. This even increased his joy and he just wanted to ask how they had made it to escape the eggeater anew when suddenly every trace of a smile disappeared from his face. “And Cera?” he asked spiritless. Immediately everybody became very silent and also Spike and Ducky looked at Chomper and Ali with wide opened eyes. Ali fetched deep breath, “She has fallen down the mountain’s slope shortly after we had separated.” Ducky cast her moutthat appeared now in front of homper got start of her. “We’ve run on in another direction not to lead the eggeater to her.” “It has worked”, said Ali. “The eggeater was after us after that.” “But we don’t know what has happened with Cera.” “When we’ve searched you we met Petrie. He has told us where we could meet you, and he has promised to look out for Cera. We shall wait for him here.” Affected silent followed Ali’s and Chomper’s explanations. “How long ago was that?” asked Littlefoot finally, “I mean when has Petrie flown away?” “It’s not so long ago”, answered Chomper. “It will certainly last for a while until he returns.” “I hope…”, began Littlefoot, but Ducky interrupted him: “No, no, no. It won’t last for a while until he returns. No while at all.” “What?” asked Ali. “Why?” “Because he already comes there.” She pointed at the sky above the crack. “Yep, yep, yep! There he comes!” Indeed Petrie had appeared there and judging by the speed with which he flew towards them he brought important news. “Have you found her?” Ali called at Petrie already from the distance. “How is she?” asked Chomper. Petrie staggered a bit in the air and tried to land on Littlefoot’s head, but he bounced directly into his face and fell down. Maybe it was because of his hurt wing, but looking at Petrie it seemed to be more likely that he had simply exhausted to his performance. Ducky jumped to him, but Petrie sat up with his own strength before she reached him. “My goodness Petrie!” called Littlefoot. “What on earth has happened?” Petrie set on to say something, but for he fetched deep breath simultaneously he swallowed the wrong way and coughed fiercely several times. “Let him regain his breath first!” said Ducky and cast a rebuking look at Littlefoot. But Petrie made a gesture of refusal. “They comes. Quick…” “Cera?” asked Chomper swiftly. “She comes? Is she well?” But Petrie shook his head. “Not Cera! Away here!” “Now cool down Petrie”, said Littlefoot and set the exhausted flyer on his back. “What’s up? Have you seen Cera? Why are you already here?” “Petrie hasn’t seen Cera. Haven’t searched her. But have found the eggeaters. And they comes here!” Littlefoot nodded slowly. “They comes quick!” shrieked Petrie and jumped at Littlefoot’s neck. “You must get away from here!” Only now they seemed to understand his warning. “Come on!” called Littlefoot. Ducky swung herself up to Petrie on Littlefoot’s back and he ran off, the others close behind him.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I just started reading this story not long ago and i really liked reading it, i hope to read more soon! :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you very much babidikrakenguard :)
I was kind of afraid that there was no more interest in the story or that the shortcomings of my English by the time I wrote that story would frighten readers away. Here come the next three chapters (no Aquarelle pictures for those chapters, but one very rough sketch for a scene I never turned into an Aquarelle):

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Chapter LXXI

While they fled Petrie recovered pretty quick on Littlefoot’s back and now he told more accurate what he had seen. Shortly after he had left Chomper and Ali he had discovered the both eggeaters in a broad gorge, but he hadn’t been able to approach them close enough to eavesdrop them. Then suddenly the both had rushed off, exactly into the direction where they, as Petrie knew would meet the others. They had run so fast, explained Petrie, that he had already feared not to be able to warn them in time. The canyon they traversed now was broad and led in gentle turns into the direction where the bright circle stood the highest. Meanwhile however the sun had already passed its highest point. The ground of the gorge was covered with snow and Petrie looked with anxiousness at the tracks they left behind that were impossible to overlook. Finally when he had recovered completely he flew back to look for the eggeaters, while the others ran on. But he returned soon, what the others interpreted not as a good sign. They didn’t err. “You’ve to hurry!” called Petrie with a distinct touch of panic in his voice. “They comes nearer!” “Even faster?” gasped Littlefoot. “I can’t faster!” panted Chomper who struggled only troublesome forward. He was the youngest of all, had the shortest legs and big problems to keep up with the others. Ali pressed her lips together; Littlefoot carried already Ducky and although he had shown an admirable endurance today Ali didn’t believe that Spike was able to carry somebody above that. “Mount!” she called to Chomper, stopped and bent the knees of her forelegs. “Ali?” called Littlefoot amazed. Although he had happily noted that the both came along better and better he hadn’t expected that. “I’m far to heavy!” said Chomper. “It will work for a while”, said Ali gentle; and a bit more forcible she said: “And now come on! We don’t have enough time to stand around here longer. Those with the scratched nose aims at you and I don’t want to know what he will do with you if he gets you in his dirty fingers, you don’t want that either, do you?” With that there was nothing left to say. Chomper climbed carefully on Ali’s back. But Petrie made a very anxious face and looked back again and again, as if he would expect that the eggeaters would appear any moment on the path behind them. “They are after Chomper?” asked Petrie Ali suddenly. She nodded and Chomper on her back said. “At all events those with the scratched nose.” Suddenly the trace of a grinning appeared on Petrie’s face. “Go this way!” he ordered and pointed at a narrow side chasm that branched off from the broad way, but seemed to lead roughly in the same direction. Littlefoot uttered a surprised shout. Neither he nor any of the others had discovered that chasm at all so far. Marrow as it was it was not difficult to miss it on the dark rocky wall. Probably Petrie had only spotted it from above too. “Petrie will take care that the eggeaters won’t loose Chomper’s tracks. “I don’t understand”, said Ducky. “No, not at all. What do you have in mind?” Petrie just wanted to set on to an explanation when he changes his mind. He looked back on the way and said hasty: “No time to explain! Not yet. Go!” Spike eyed the narrow chasm distrustful. It let him and the others not much room and it was so narrow that nearly no daylight fell into it. But then he pulled himself together and entered it followed by Ali; Littlefoot went at last. He and Ducky on his back looked back once more. Petrie had landed, smoothed the snow around him and seemed to draw something into it. Suddenly Littlefoot understood and Ducky began to grin too. Sometimes Petrie had great ideas.

Chapter LXXII

“How long…”, wheezed Strut, “…do we still have to run like this, Ozzy?” “Until we have this grasseaters and especially the sharptooth”, answered Ozzy and gasping, but far from gasping as much as Strut. Suddenly he stopped surprised so suddenly that Strut couldn’t stop anymore and ran into him. “Ozzy, what’s the matter?” Wordless Ozzy pointed at the ground. The traces of the leafeaters they were following led now into a very narrow and dark side chasm, but the tracks of the little sharptooth led straight on like before. Ozzy sighed and scraped his head. “I’ve not expected that. I’m surprised at them. They’ve really done it.” “What Ozzy?” “It appears as if they have send the sharptooth away. Or for what other reason he should go on alone?” “Hmmm.” “Nearly a bit sad”, said Ozzy with pretended grief. “I’ve credited them for more loyalty among each other”, he paused shortly before he continued grimly: “And what is far more annoying is that we’ve to decide between the sharptooth and others.” “And now?” “We follow the sharptooth!” answered Ozzy after short hesitating so determined that Strut looked at him astonished and set on to a question, but Ozzy forestalled him with the answer: “The sharptooth has ill-treated my nose like this and he shall regret it and besides, do you feel like going through there?” Ozzy pointed at the chasm whose merely sight caused already a feeling of agoraphobia by Strut and let him shook his head hasty. “So come on!” called Ozzy and they ran on.

Chapter LXXIII

Petrie worked hasty and simultaneously listened intensely, always ready to fly away immediately if he would hear the steps of the eggeaters. He wiped through the snow with one wing and with three quick zigzag movements of his other wing he completed his work. He jumped up and made a long leap he elongated with one flap of his nearly frozen wings. Where he had landed he started anew. Meanwhile he had developed a certain routine in drawing small sharptooth-footprints into the snow and it was no unfounded self content that he was highly pleased with the result.

The tracks looked really very real. Suddenly Petrie heard what he had expected to hear already for a long while; hasty steps and panting breathing. He had to see to come away for if the eggeaters would catch him then those with the scratched nose would surely tear him to pieces. Petrie looked up, spread his wings and froze in the motion… he had been so busy with the drawing to the trace that he hadn’t paid any attention to the surroundings. What had terrified him so much was the very narrow and easy to miss exit of a chasm that remembered Petrie for his horror very much to those chasm in which the others had disappeared. If he wasn’t wrong and if the others would just now reach the end of the chasm then they would run directly into the eggeaters. The growing louder steps arouse Petrie from his motionlessness. He swung himself up into the air and began to flap fiercely with his under cooled wings to bring a bit feeling back into them. Petrie flew high up to make sure. One look showed him that he hadn’t erred. The thin black line between the racks as which the chasm was recognizable  here from above led nearly throughout the whole distance parallel to the broader canyon up to the point where he had separated from the others and had begun to draw the traces. The eggeaters who appeared just on the way below hadn’t to notice the exit of the chasm on no account. Despite his worries Petrie was amused by the sight of the puzzled faces the eggeaters made when the traces they had followed ended suddenly. Maybe Ozzy had come upon the right thought immediately, maybe he pondered if Chomper could belong to an unknown species of flying sharpteeth, at all events he looked up promptly and discovered Petrie. This was just alright with Petrie for he had to prevent the eggeaters from looking around and discovering the chasm, for as stupid as they could be, it didn’t require much intelligence to come upon the thought that this exit belonged to the very chasm in which the tracks of the others had disappeared. Petrie flew in a slightly sinking flight directly into the direction from where the eggeaters had come. Petrie heard the stones whizzing past Ozzy threw at him in fierce furry, but Petrie had taken care to stay out of range. Ozzy fumed with rage and Strut had the impression as if the snow close around his brother would melt. As soon as the flyer had disappeared he shrieked with a shrill voice: “They make fun of us! Back Strut! We must follow them through the chasm we’ve seen before!” “But Ozzy, it is so narrow and…” Ozzy lifted his arm for a stroke and Strut ducked, but Ozzy didn’t strike out. “Come on!” he hissed, jerked round and rushed back the way they had just come. Strut hesitated a short moment and looked over to the narrow chasm he had discovered and on which he had wanted to call Ozzy’s attention. Then he sighed and hastened after his brother.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you very much :)
Here come the next with one picture:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Chapter LXXIV

Petrie flew a turn when he was sure to be out of sight of the eggeaters and flew back whereby he stayed close to the rocky wall not to be discovered. Already after a short time the eggeaters came towards him and he landed on the rock to be out of sight. Those with the scratched nose ran ahead and coursed so rude over the “leafeaterchickens” that Petrie grinned with satisfaction. How would the eggeater course in a few hours when he and his brother would have pressed through the narrow chasm and would have reached its end? When the eggeaters were out of sight Petrie soared up again, flew over to the narrow chasm and followed it until he finally found Littlefoot, Ali, Spike, Ducky and Chomper, who had meanwhile dismounted from Ali’s back again, shortly before its end. “Petrie. Have they been taken in by your trick? Where are they now?” asked Littlefoot and his words resounded from the rocky walls. Petrie nodded only and asked highly interested: “Was the chasm very narrowly?” “Well”, said Ali, “We’ve come through, but Spike would have nearly stuck fast two times. Does it continue like this for long?” “Well, very well”, mumbled Petrie ignoring Ali’s last question. Spike wailed. He was pretty pale, seemed to suffer from an acute fit of agoraphobia and not to find anything well in the narrowness of this chasm. “Oh don’t worry Spiky!” Petrie calmed him hasty. “It’s not far anymore than you’ll reach the broad canyon again.” “And why on earth is it so well that it is so narrow here that we’ve nearly been stuck fast?” asked Chomper slightly irritated. Although he was smaller than Spike and couldn’t have real problems with the narrowness he seemed to feel very uneasy between the rocky walls. “You can imagine eggeaters try to go through the chasm?” answered Petrie and began to narrate. Petrie finished his report, just when they reached, for especially Spike’s relief, the end of the chasm, with big laughter of his friends. “Not so loud!” ordered Littlefoot suddenly. Everybody became silent and looked at him surprised. Only the resound of their laughter could still be heard. “If the eggeaters are in the chasm too then they’ll hear that”, explained Littlefoot. They fell silent and suddenly they heard the resound of loud and unrestrained cursing. “That must be them!” said Ali shuddering. “Sounds really as if they would have problems”, said Chomper with a malicious grinning. Petrie giggled and said with a quiet voice: “Petrie flies back to look at that!” “Alright Petrie, but be careful. They don’t need to see you. We go on along the broad canyon. Don’t stay away too long!” Petrie nodded and flew away while the others continued their way whereby Chomper stopped once more and compared under the hardly suppressed laughter of his friends his footprints with those Petrie had drawn into the snow. The similarity was really amazing.

Chapter LXXV

Petrie returned soon just as Littlefoot had asked him to. Meanwhile the canyon began to  ascend ever steeper. “Eggeaters really in troubles”, Petrie proclaimed. “The one with scratched nose is sticking fast again and again and the other one must push. Petrie really must keep words in mind the eggeater used for next time when Hyp’s mean again. They have heard us laughing and think now we made fun of them and… what?” Petrie’s words didn’t cause the general outburst of laughter he had obviously expected. The others looked at him with grieved looks while they plodded on. “Cera”, said Ducky simply quite contrary to her usual talkativeness. “Oh”, sighed Petrie conscious of his guilt and landed on Littlefoot’s back.
“Me completely forgeted about her”, he mumbled down-spirited.
“We all have Petrie”, Littlefoot consoled him. “We had many other worries”, added Chomper sadly. “But now we finally have to know what has happened with her!” said Ali. “You mean…”, Petrie set on, but suddenly Ducky uttered a surprised call from Spike’s back at the head of the column. “What’s the matter Ducky?” asked Littlefoot immediately. “Come on, come on!” called Ducky and waved at them. “Look at this!” The others followed her invitation curiously. Spike had reached the highest point of the gap that was at the same time the end of the rocky labyrinth through which they had erred since the morning. In front of them lay a long snowy slope that led down into a pretty big valley whose ground was largely covered with a dense mixed forest of conifers and bare deciduous trees. At the ground of the valley lay distinctly less snow than up here and at some spots they could even see the withered grass. A small stream came forth from the mountain. For their surprise it was not frozen. “Finally!” sighed Ali relieved. “I began to fear we would never come out of this awful rocky solitude.”

“Don’t be unfair Ali”, rebuked Littlefoot gently. “Had it not been for this rocky solitude the eggeaters surely would have caught us.” Spike starred like being hypnotized at the green conifers and the others too noticed now that they could hardly remember their last meal. “There is water!” called Ducky charmed when she noted the small stream. “I can even swim there!”
“You no be silly!” croaked Petrie. “Water certainly far too cold for that.”
“We are on the right way”, mumbled Littlefoot dreamy.
“Not all of us”, Chomper reminded him gloomy. “Don’t forget Cera again!”
“We sure will not!” called Ducky. “No, no, no, we will not!”
“Petrie”, said Littlefoot gently, “I know you’ve already done very much and…”
“Petrie shall fly back finding Cera?” “It would be really wonderful”, said Ali. “But if you’re too tired, then we understand.” Petrie nodded. “Where will you wait for Petrie?” “Do you really think that this is good?” asked Ducky sympathetic. “Petrie has really done enough today and…” “No, Petrie too wants to know what has happened to his friend Cera.” “Alright  Petrie”, said Littlefoot. “But if anything happens then return immediately, will you?” Petrie nodded. “We’ll go straight on and wait for you nearby the edge of the forest.” “Probably nearby the stream”, added Ducky eagerly nodding. “Please be careful Petrie, it will be dark soon”, said Ali. Petrie couldn’t help grinning. Anyhow the way the others talked reminded him very much of his mother, but Ali was doubtlessly right. The bright circle sank already towards the ground and had taken an orange-red glowing color. Then he flew away.

Chapter LXXVI

Littlefoot, Ali, Spike, Ducky and Chomper began with the descent. Ducky on Spike’s back could obviously not await finally to reach the stream and she kicked him her heels slightly in the flanks to drive him on. This was however pretty senseless since Spike ran anyway, the look firmly fixed on the trees, so fast that he merely slid down the slope instead of going. The both reached the edge of the forest long before the others caught up with them. Spike tackled immediately the first conifer he reached and Ducky followed his example forgetting apparently even the stream over her hunger. Also the others ate vigorously when they reached the trees. Meanwhile they had accustomed to the conifers, managed to eat without pricking themselves and they even made to ignore the bitter taste. But they even found a few trees that still bore sporadic leafs that didn’t taste very well but where by far much to prefer from the needles. Below some trees grew even green plants with pretty broad leaves that didn’t seem to be harmed by the coldness, but they tasted so strange that they preferred not to eat them. Chomper had separated from the others as inconspicuously as possible. Yet they had noted it nevertheless but nobody said anything. Eventually Chomper had to eat too. When they were full they went over to the stream. “Who is in the water first wins!” called Ducky in high spirits and rushed towards the stream when they had nearly reached it. “Stop Ducky!” called Littlefoot frightened. “The water is far too cold!” But obviously Ducky didn’t hear him. She reached the bank, jumped with a wide leap into the stream and disappeared below the water surface. She remerged a moment later, the eyes opened wide and sucking in air convulsively, then she sank down again. The water was so icy cold that it paralyzed her nearly completely and the current of the little stream, extraordinary strong, tore her along. “Ducky!” cried Littlefoot terrified and ran along the back whereby he tried not to loose Ducky out of sight and to catch up with her. Spike even made to overtake Littlefoot, but the current was far to fast to catch up with Ducky. “We don’t make it!” cried Ali desperately. “The current is too fast!” The next moment there was a loud cracking and Chomper broke forth from the embankment some distance downstream, just the moment when Ducky emerged with the crest of a wave. Instinctively Chomper threw himself forward, the arms stretched out. He got hold of Ducky, but now fell into the stream himself. He barley made to stay near the bank and to gain foothold at the shallow point. He struggled fiercely towards the bank where Spike received him and helped him out of the water. Ducky had turned slightly blue and she shivered all over when Littlefoot and Ali arrived. “My goodness Ducky!” called Littlefoot. “Have you forgotten what has happened during your last bath in the Great Valley? Or how cold the water was when we’ve fled from the fire?” Ducky didn’t answer, but Littlefoot didn’t expect an answer. “We must keep her warm!” called Ali. She seized Ducky and began to rub her carefully between her forefeet. Littlefoot, Spike and Chomper looked at her surprised. “This warms a bit”, she explained while she took care not to rub Duchy to fiercely not to hurt her. “We had one incident in the herd, shortly before I’ve been separated from the others. Then somebody had broken in a lake. The grownups have done the same then and it helped.” Spike suddenly turned away and ran into the forest. “Spike!” called Ali. “You can’t…” But Littlefoot interrupted her: “Keep cool. I don’t think that Spike wants to leave us alone. Certainly he has an idea.” Littlefoot didn’t err for Spike returned already soon with a triumphing smiling that was yet hard to recognize since his mouth was stuffed with fern leaves. It was exactly the same sort of leaves Ducky’s mother had used then in the Great Valley to keep Ducky warm after she had broken in into the river. “Great Spike!” called Littlefoot. “Wherefrom have you known that this stuff grows here too?” Spike lay down the leaves, grinned even broader and sucked in air audibly through his nostrils. “Therefore you must have a fine nose”, said Chomper grinning too. Ducky had gained visibly color by Ali’s treatment and when Ali stopped to rub her between her forefeet she grasped one of the leaves, Spike had brought along, and wrapped herself up in it whereby she sneezed loudly. Her cold that had ceased completely temporary seemed to break out again. “How are you now?” Littlefoot asked concerned. Ducky sighed and coughed fiercely: “I want to reach the warmer regions finally!” “Well, if that’s all”, sighed Littlefoot with partly real partly pretended relief. “Didn’t you hear Littlefoot calling?” asked Ali slightly reproachful. “And couldn’t you imagine that the water is to cold to swim?” “I haven’t heard Littlefoot”, answered Ducky, “No I haven’t.” And a bit injured she added: “I am a swimmer. And I could not swim for ages, no, not at all. It is as if Petrie would be forbidden to fly!” “Well”, said Littlefoot and held his head a little declined. “Petrie has come out very well without flying very long.” Ducky sep on to an angry answer that however remained unspoken on the one hand for Ducky got an anew fit of coughs and on the other hand as Chomper intervened hasty to prevent an impending quarrel: “It has turned out well.” “Yes”, answered Ali who regretted her a bit stern previous words and who wanted a quarrel as less as everybody else. “What a luck you were there.” Chomper stepped uneasy from one foot on the other. He was a bit embarrassed for that he had been just at the right time at the right place was on the one hand owed to the chance and on the other hand to the circumstance that he had hunted successfully his supper. But that didn’t seem to interest the others for his relief. Spike voiced his gratefulness for Ducky’s rescue his own way and stopped to drove his tongue through Chomper’s face only when he asked him therefore laughing. After that they drunk apart from Ducky who had enough of the water for this evening and lay down for rest at the edge of the forest nearby the stream. Littlefoot kept watching first and while the others, Ducky coughing again and again, fell gradually asleep he began to wait for Petrie impatiently.

babidikrakenguard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I hope Ducky gets warmed up again soon.

You might want to fix in Chapter LXXV, near the end
Anyhow the way the others talked remembered him very much to his mother
to
Anyhow the way the others talked reminded him very much of his mother

Still the chapters were very good to read. Great Work! :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you very much :yes
The correction is done. I'm sorry I'm late with the continuation of that story posting, but I tend to forget about these threads when they are a couple of pages back. Anyway, here are the next chapters: