News:

Author Topic: Which moment(s)  (Read 2118 times)

Nick22

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Which moment(s)
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2004, 03:34:50 PM »
Well, Littlefoot's mother dying, and Ali's farewell are the two that stick in my mind at the moment.
 Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Which moment(s)
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 12:43:23 PM »
Yeah I agree with you there  :cry
bring tears to my eyes seeing Littlefoot's mother die

-Threehorn

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Which moment(s)
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 03:06:39 PM »
The three momentous scenes I know were Littlefoot's hatching, his mother's death, and the little pterosaurs fighting over the berry.

Platvoet en zijn Vriendjes

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/landbeforetime
Which moment(s)
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2005, 08:05:41 PM »
There are many moments in lbt for me, but the discovery of The Great Valley is having a great impact on me, including the music you here at that same time

StardustSoldier

• Ducky is not pleased, nope nope nope
  • Member+
    • View Profile
Re: Which moment(s)
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
I'm tempted to just say "the entire movie." Often I prefer longer movies, but one of the great things about Land Before Time is that there's no padding or filler. Nothing is wasted. Every scene feels meaningful. And the music. Even listening to just the music gets me emotional.

It's also darker and more sombre than a lot of other children's animated films, even many of the ones you see to this day. It has a unique balance that you don't see too often. It has such a haunting quality to it; it's sad and scary and beautiful all at once. There's some good action scenes too, despite it not being an action movie, per say.

As for some specific moments that were memorable, I'll quote from my earlier posts in the Littlefoot, Cera, and Ducky showcases:

- Personally, I think Littlefoot's most awesome moment is in the first film. After his nasty row with Cera and the gang splits up, and the other kids ditch him and all go with Cera. Next to his mother dying, that was the part where I felt the most sad for him. But then what does he do? He goes back for his friends anyway, and manages to save them all from dying horribly. That's a true hero right there.

- Even before Cera redeems herself near the end, you get occasional glimmers of her nice side buried deep down, particularly during the sleep scene. She's alarmed when she wakes up and discovers she's all alone, and then she notices everyone has moved over to go sleep with Littlefoot. But for once, instead of getting angry or jealous, she just goes over and snuggles up beside Littlefoot herself. And then he rests his foreleg around her. D'awww. But her most awesome moment, I think, comes near the end. During the final battle, just when it seems like all is lost, she appears out of nowhere and shouts a triumphant "I'M COMING!!!!" And then she rams the boulder and sends Sharptooth plunging into the drink, thus saving the day and avenging Littlefoot's mother. I also like how it's shown that part of the reason for her belligerence and bragging stems from insecurity about how she really does get scared, just like all the other dinosaurs.

- My favourite Ducky moment is when she and Littlefoot meet for the first time. He's still emotionally torn apart with grief and despair. But, despite having been separated from her own family, she's able to cheer him and restore his motivation to find the Great Valley. In fact, it's the loss of her family that causes Littlefoot to bond with her. Such a sweet moment.

Another thing I noticed is, near the beginning when Littlefoot is wondering why he can't play with other dinosaurs, his mother tells him, "We all keep to our own kind. The threehorns, the spiketails, the swimmers, the flyers, we never do anything together." Notice she lists off the four other species of dinosaur who will in fact go on to become Littlefoot's closest friends. Throughout the journey, it's shown that the kids all needed each other if they were going to pull through.

The topic of racism resonates with me, as I've dealt with (ex-)friends in the past who were prejudiced. It's sad to watch Littlefoot, a gentle and sweet kid, get so unfairly bullied just for being a longneck. Which makes it all the more uplifting at the end when the kids are able to overcome their parents' prejudices and become true companions. And of course that adorable group hug.

Lastly, the film has inspired me to want to check out Don Bluth's other movies. As with Land Before Time (before I joined the forum), many of Bluth's films I can remember from my childhood, but I haven't watched them now for a very long time. It'd be interesting to see them again all these years later. But I'll save that for its own thread. Gotta watch the LBT TV series first.

StardustSoldier

• Ducky is not pleased, nope nope nope
  • Member+
    • View Profile
Re: Which moment(s)
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 12:02:21 PM »
Dang. My above post would've been a good one to make for today.

Oh well. Happy 31st anniversary, Land Before Time!