The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rage of the Sharpteeth + side-story

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
AAAAAAAAAAAAH STUBBORNNESS!

Oh Rec... :o I really do think him and Topsy are as bad as each other. Although this time Rec seems to be defending his son's honour...hmm...the whole fake friendship thing...interesting insight...

I worry severely for what will happen next.....................

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is so scary...  :unsure:

There are many ways of how this could end... but you'll choose only one of them.

I like how you keep the tension high :DD
Inactive, probably forever.

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yay, tension!!  :nyah

And people gonna die in the future, make of that what you will xD

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 11
Copyright: © characters and places by United Pictures; © Plot and OC by me
Author's Note: Guys, if I forget to upload the next chapter, kick me or something like that :exactly

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Tyra did think he went a bit far with his accusations towards the young ones, but she remained silent. His anger needed vending and she would not turn herself into its’ target. Besides, the Longneck would make sure that his words would be softened as she translated them, no doubt. She glanced over her shoulder, looking to where Chomper was peeking out of the cave. She saw him tremble in fear and horror. ëForgive me, little one, but your father’s will is law.’ She thought, turning to her mate again.

“I ask you again, Threehorn, considering I am a monster, why do you come to me like this?” Rec demanded, studying the near-black Leaf-eater intently. “Did you honestly belief this would work?”

It seemed as if something shattered in the Threehorn. His pride had died the night they had taken Tria and now everything that had him going was destroyed too. She did not understand what he was saying, but she knew the words had to come out like the Thundering Falls.

“I have to believe this works; I have to trust Grandma’s judgment. I cannot lose my entire family.” Grandma Longneck translated. “I came here because I need to at least keep my daughters safe if I already failed at keeping Tria safe.”

Tyra looked over her shoulder again, her keen hearing detecting sounds from inside their cave. It appeared that their guest had heard that last one.

“Keep her quiet.” Tyra snarled to her son. He glanced into the cave, disappearing from view.

The others had not noticed the exchange, being too focused on following the main conversation.

“There it is again. You think me a monster.” Rec growled, his tiny hands closing and opening in his anger. “I saved your daughters dozen times, Threehorn, either by proxy or directly. I risked my life for theirs. They are my son’s friends! Why do you think I would kill them, causing my son pain and making my own actions useless? What is it going to take to make you see the father and friend in me instead of the murdering predator?” His voice rose in volume, his last few words nearly causing rock-slides on the higher slopes.

Tyra watched him stomp the ground, cracking the upper layers of dried mud. His eyes burned with fury, muscles shifting as he struggled to keep himself from attacking.

Beside them the Longneck was tense, fearing every moment that Rec’s anger would get the best of him.

“You took my wife.” Came the answer, the familiar emotion of anger calming Mr. Threehorn some. “I will never be able to see you as anything but a monster now.”

Tyra froze, looking at her mate. His face had become unreadable. The anger and fury had faded, his eyes having become pools of stagnant blood.

“Then we have both made ourselves monsters in the other’s eyes.” Rec growled. “But I shall not be the one to act on it. Leave, as I will do.”

“What?”
The Threehorn’s lips had not moved, it had been Littlefoot who spoke.

“I see now that we are too different if even the friends of my son cannot see his family as anything but monsters. I will take my family and leave these lands.” Rec softly said. “Chomper will have to find friends among the Sharpteeth then, since the Flatteeth have no faith in him simply because of his species.”

Behind them Chomper made a pained sound, tears forming in his young eyes. As Tyra looked at him, he turned away. He knew that his mother was in agreement with his father otherwise she would have interjected on his behalf already. He wanted to stay, but if his parents told him to leave, he’d have no choice.

“You can’t take him!” The voice caused Chomper to look back up and his mother to turn to the source. “We are his friends! And if we think him a monster, then he can always explain to us why we are wrong and we’ll change if necessary!”

She had much of her father, no one would deny that, least of all she herself, but if there was one thing she had not inherited of him it was his hate for all Sharpteeth. As Cera finished screaming, there was a silence, no one even breathing. Then Grandma translated what she had said and Chomper was certain his father had never expected that.

“Despite what he did?” Rec asked. “Despite what I did?”

“Despite that.” She stated with conviction. “I know him better than to assume he’d hurt my sister without a good reason.” Chomper couldn’t help but beam at that.

“And what about me and her mother?” Rec chuckled. “What is your opinion about that? The Longneck-family saw Tyra carry her unmoving body out.”

Here Cera fell silent, but she remained glaring at him.

He snorted, turning back to their cave. “Leave, Threehorn, and take your family with you. We shall see if the relationship between the Sharpteeth and Flatteeth can be restored somewhat after these events.”

“What about…?” The old Threehorn asked.

“I. Am. Not. A. Monster.” Rec growled. “I had never any intention of upsetting my son. And harming a Valley-resident, no matter how justified, would have done just that. Your family was never in any danger - at least from me. Now take them and get out of my territory!”

Grandma was smiling softly in relief as she translated that. He had listened to her and Chomper that night after all.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hm, interesting turn... :rolleyes:

Rec's personality is quite confusing, to say the least, but this sounds hopeful. I'm guessing Tria is currently being worked on medically, in a similar way to how Grandma was? I'm just theorizing, I might be completely wrong, but... :lol  Who else would Chomper need to keep quiet?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't get these Sharpteeth  :slap

Good points, Toby, I have nothing to add :lol:

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What is there not to get?

Rec hates Threehorn, and now he is just sick and tired of the constant fighting and arguing... It wore him down a lot. He ain't the youngest anymore :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, that explains the situation :lol:

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 12

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Threehorn turned to leave after that.

“Are you not forgetting something?” Grandma translated Rec’s question, the great Sharptooth sounding tired.

“I wouldn’t know what.” Topps answered, not turning back around.

“Are you deaf?” Came Tyra’s demand. “Or just plain stupid?” She too sounded like she was at the end of her strength, just wanting peace and quiet now.

Here he turned, but kept quiet. His black eyes bore into their blood-red ones, but it was Grandma herself who broke the silence.

“Have you not realized it yet?” She softly asked, drawing his attention to the Longneck standing beside Rec. Behind her Chomper started to translate her words for his parents, his growls and clicks echoing in the ravine. “Rec is a dinosaur who keeps his word, especially if he gave it to a family-member. He promised – no, swore – to Chomper and me alike that he would never harm a Valley-resident. He has only ever broken that promise in self-defense, an act no one can blame him for.”

“I beg to differ.” Threehorn grumbled.

“And that is where you are wrong.” Rec spoke up again, his words now translated by his son rather than the Longneck. “Tell me, Threehorn, would you wish the loss of a wife upon, say… Grandpa Longneck?”

“No.” The leafeater shook his head.

“Because you know the pain.” Rec stated. “You know the pain of losing a wife, children. You might see me as a monster without feelings, but I am not. I know that very same pain, Threehorn, I still feel it in my heart. Oh, I have come to love Tyra more than I ever loved White Star – may she forgive me – but I will never forget the agony of losing the first female I ever loved.” He smiled faintly at Tyra as he declared his love for her. She in turn chuckled softly, her tail briefly flicking from side to side. “At any rate, I too know it and I too do not wish it upon anyone unless I honestly think it would be better for all involved. What would have the Swimmer’s fate had been had I not killed her? She would have fallen victim to others, who would have given her a much slower and painful death, no? Fast Biters too often do not wait until their prey is dead before they start feasting upon it.”

Realization began to dawn on the faces of the Valley-residents in front of them.

“You should not be so quick to judge, Threehorn.” Rec coldly stated. “Just because I can kill, does not mean I shall. Not even to hurt you.”

He turned around and walked away to the cave he called his own. He looked at something inside before gesturing sharply to the herd.

“He says you can leave.” Grandma translated his soft growl, looking over to the cave.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Tria looked up at the pale-green Sharptooth beside her, who nodded curtly. Somehow, she was not scared as she turned her back to the grown female. Was it because what Grandma had said all those Cold Times ago? ëTo me they have proven that they shall not break that promise to their son. They could have killed me several times at the least and never did.’ Was she not in exactly the same situation? Heavens, she had expected them to kill her!

“Mama!” Tricia, in an innocence even an attack could not take, shot past the Sharpteeth, coming to a skidding stop in front of her mother.

Tria noticed the leaves covering her daughter’s back, but she couldn’t care for that now. When Chomper’s family had ambushed her she had thought she would never see her little one again…

She was blind to the fact she was still next to Rec, the male Sharptooth towering over her, and only hugged her daughter.

The voice of Grandma Longneck only faintly reached their ears and even the roars the Sharpteeth used could not penetrate the haze of joy resting over the two pink Threehorns.

“Tria?” She finally looked up, meeting the black eyes of her mate.

“Toppsy…” She breathed, closing her eyes as they nuzzled one another.

“Thank you.” He looked up at the towering Sharptooth.

“Do not thank me, Threehorn.” Rec countered. “If it had been up to me, she would be dead.”

He looked away, over the Leafeater. “Thank my son, who holds your daughter dear enough to oppose his family to save her and hers. Thank the Longneck, who thinks highly enough of you to challenge and threaten three grown-up Sharpteeth over the lives of your family. Thank the fact your pride has not cost you all friends yet.”

Both Chomper and Grandma Longneck did not react as the Threehorns looked over to them, the half-grown Sharptooth standing just a short distance away from the old Longneck.

“And now leave me alone.” Rec growled. “I need to be alone.”

The small herd started to leave, slowly making their way back to the Great Valley when Grandma softly spoke.

“Go on ahead, I need to do something.”

They didn’t go ahead, instead waiting for the old female. She turned to the Sharpteeth, calling out to them. Rec turned and waited for her to reach him. Was that anger in her eyes?

What happened next was too fast to follow properly: her powerful tail closed around his legs, pulling the support of his body clean away. Rec cried out in surprise when he fell, his falling body cracking the dried mud.

White Star and Tyra roared in rage as the Longneck stepped up to him, one of her forefeet resting on his neck. Grandma answered in kind, tail swinging through the air.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Huh!? I thought everything would be fine and dandy but WHAT THE HECK IS GRANDMA DOIN' ?!?  :rolleyes:
Well, I'll see then I suppose :D

And whether or not you'll believe me but I finally got what Rec had in mind :smile

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
:wow Grandma...?

I'm not entirely sure where this is headed, so I get the feeling I've missed something said or done earlier. Sorry, its been a long week.  :p

But hey, brilliant chapter, I was sure Tria would be alive...at least for now... :blink:

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Tria is gonna be fine... for now. :p

As for Grandma, I supposse my long breaks between updates are to blame, but there is still that Elephant in the room (or more appropriately: Longneck in the cave) called 'Rec pissed her off' and from the first installment, we know that THAT is not good for whoever did it  :lol

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Chapter: 13
Author’s note: Final Chapter of this story and now...
Next on Gang of Five: the origin of White Star and why Rec is not okay with either Clubtails or Threehorns.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

They were furious, their roars shaking the surrounding rock, but her threat had been more effective than they’d like to admit. Any attack would force her to stabilize herself and the only leg she could use for that was the one precariously positioned above Rec’s neck.

That did not stop them from prowling around her, no doubt waiting for the moment her foot would be on solid ground again.

Grandma ignored them, lowering her head close to Rec’s. “You have solved your problem with the Threehorns, but I warn you: if you ever insult my daughter again, even if you only do it in thought, I will gladly tell Grandpa and Bron all about it and cheer them on as they tear you apart.”

“And I hope that you realize that if you don’t move that foot, I will do it myself.”
Rec countered, referring to the pressure she was beginning to put on it. “I need air…”

“That will be the least of your problems should you make a wrong move.”
She answered, but removed her foot anyway.

White Star snarled, snapping at the Longneck. “Do that again, Longneck, and you’ll be the one torn to pieces.”

“This time you are in the right.”
Tyra stated coldly, one eye on the herd, the other on her Leafeater-friend. “You might not be again.”

Grandma merely nodded, pushing past them back to her family.

“What was that about?” Her mate demanded as she returned to his side.

“Difference of opinion.” She answered softly, looking impassively as Rec rose to his feet again, tilting his neck lightly as he assessed the damage she might have done.

“That normally doesn’t result in you stepping on dinosaurs.” Bron pointed out.

“It normally did not go this far.” She stated. “Can we return to the Valley? I think my leg will not hold me much longer if we stay out here.”

It had been more than a difference of opinion, but Grandpa knew that if she did not want to tell him, he’d never find out. He looked over his shoulder to the Sharptooth-family, noting with some worry that the three grown-ups were glaring at his mate. But Chomper, while certainly uncomfortable, did not seem particularly worried about what had happened.

The old male sighed, opting to simply let it rest for now. Hopefully she’d tell him when it was important. Then again, had she told him about her ability to speak with the Sharpteeth?

ëBut you suspected it all the time, didn’t you? You kept wondering why she was so certain about everything related to those three. You wondered whether she was not telling you something in relation to them.’ His mind reminded him. ëYou know she knows you like a book, you know she would know you’d suspect. And how often have your suspicions proven true?’

Too often… He had to admit to himself. Too often had his hunches and suspicions been proven true one way or another.

“We need to talk.” He whispered in her ear, the faint flicking of her eyes to his revealing she knew what about. She nodded, sighing softly.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“I should have told you.” She was resting on the ground, her wounded leg stretched out beside her, healing-leaves now covering the wounds on it.

“You should have.” He agreed, pacing in front of her. “Why didn’t you?”

“Would it have made a difference?” She countered, following him with her lean neck. “How would you have reacted had I done that?”

“I don’t know.” He admitted with a sigh. “But on what is our relationship build if we cannot confide in one another?”

“Love?” She suggested. “Besides, it is not as if you never kept secrets from me. Like that whole thing with Mr. Thicknose and Littlefoot back before those Frozen Sky-sparkles?” She smiled sweetly at his surprise. “I am not deaf nor blind, my dear. And Thicknose never promised you that he wouldn’t tell me about it. I asked him what he had said after he told you he took back everything he had said…”

“Got me there.” He chuckled, laying how next to her, resting his neck over hers. “Was it important?”

“Not very.” She answered, rubbing her neck against his. “He goaded me into attacking that night: he feared Threehorn would accuse me of helping should I not attack him while they carried out Tria.”

“And why did you attack him afterwards?” Grandpa looked at her, seeing a hint of anger and sadness in her eyes. “Tell me.”

“Because of how far he went to ensure I would.” She broke eye-contact. “Too far…”

“How far?” He demanded.

“Far enough that I will only tell you if I want him dead.” She answered. “Trust me, you do not want to know.”

“I trust you.” He stated, closing his eyes in resigned acceptance.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
And this, folks, is how not to anger a female longneck. :lol

Whelp, looks like the males would go even further than that! Better not tell them if Rec wants to live. :unsure:

It seems everything is more or less back to normal again now. *phew*

Now, let's see the side story and the amount of a crap-hitting-the-fan moments the next story will bring! :D

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
In his defense, he had to improvise rather quickly :p

Then again, it might be interesting to see them duke it out :lol

What is 'normal' around the GV? :smile

Yay, let's already warn the dry-cleaners!

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Maybe, but still... bad idea. :p

Yeah... my bets are on the longnecks, though. Always are. :lol

Good point.

Whoohoo! :smile

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm, interesting conclusion, though I'm not sure I follow entirely... :bang

Still, its a nice insight into Grandma and Grandpa's relationship, and a good way to end.  :lol

Sleeping-force's-inside

• Ducky
    • View Profile
And now the Side-story starts :3 It's called 'Grief of a Father' for obvious reasons ;) Beware, the chapter after this will only be given in summary-form with a link for stuff that might not be suitable for faint of heart. Please no complaints about that, thank you.

Chapter: Prologue
Author's Note: Since the main Characters in this fic are all Sharpteeth, their talk will not be in Italics. That does not mean that they are suddenly speaking Leafeater, that'd be weird.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

“They are beautiful.” The male Sharptooth said, his massive dark-green frame towering above their nest. Beside him his mate, a pale-green female, was just nudging the last egg into the right position. There were six in total, each pristine and just a few days from hatching.

“That they are.” His mate agreed. “I cannot wait until they finally hatch.”

“You mean they still haven't done that?” The owner of the voice, a light-green female Sharptooth, stopped at a safe distance from the nest. She could do without having the other two attack her.

“Tyra!” The pale-green female exclaimed, purring as she nuzzled the visitor. “Whatever brought you here?”

Tyra chuckled at the warm greeting. “I wanted to see if they had hatched yet. And I wanted to borrow Rec for a while.”

“Get your own mate, will you?” The dark-green Sharptooth, named Rec, stated. “You keep borrowing me every change of the Night Circle.”

“I wouldn't need to borrow you if White Star...” Tyra gestured to the pale-green female. “would trust you to watch her nest and come with me.”

“Well I'm sorry I am about to be a mother for the first time.” White Star huffed in annoyance. “But he's right: what do you want him for this time?”

“A herd of Threehorns is traveling through my territory. There is a wounded among them, but I could use some help. Besides, I can't finish the thing by myself anyway.” Tyra explained. “And considering you have a bunch of hatchlings around soon, I figured you'd like the food.”

“We'd indeed like that.” The couple said after sharing a short glance.

Rec nuzzled his mate one more time before joining up with their friend. “Lead the way.”

“With pleasure.” Tyra led him away from the nest, towards her own hunting-grounds. White Star remained behind, watching the dark form of her mate disappear in the gloom of the forest. Soon all was silent, save the sound of the running Fast Water a short distance away.

The Sharptooth shook herself, before settling down beside her nest. She dozed off while resting in the light of the Bright Circle shining high above her.

It was warm, the forest covered in a thick blanket of hot and unmoving air. The massive dinosaurs living in it were reluctant to move much, causing several of the small fuzzies to peek up from their holes. The bushes rustled as they moved about, searching for food.

White Star yawned, amused when she could hear the fuzzies shoot off as if she was about to eat one of them.