The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Discussion

rhombus · 481 · 73156

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you so much for this! I was rushing this morning to try to finish my prompt, before I read this. :p
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
maybe even I will able to bring my weird "thing". :D
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
As previously discussed, the fanfic prompt challenge for November is now live! The prompt is as follows:

Either incorporate this into the dialogue, or use it as one of your story’s themes: ”Even in our times of hardship there is still much to be grateful for.”

I don't intend to participate this time around, as I will be trying to focus on my own fanfic (though that may change depending on my progress), but I highly encourage you all to give it a try! Even if it's a short fic, your submissions are welcome!

As a further reminder, remember that the Halloween prompt event will run through the 15th of November. If you're thinking of submitting, you have two weeks left! Best of luck, writers!

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll surely partake in this prompt too. :) I'll do it once I'm done with the next chapter of my main story. I already have an idea for this...

On a side note, what does the "snow fic" mean in December's prompt?

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
"snow fic" was a throwaway term that was accidentally included on our chart. Basically, it just means writing a story set in a snowy environment, preferably one that makes use of said environment. Sort of a more "free" option for those who don't want to try the other options.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wasn't the deadline for the October prompt 15 November? Just asking but when will the winner be decided and how will we choose the award banners?

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
We're discussing it at the moment. Since participation was low, we are working on coming to a consensus regarding the winner. We should have an answer for you soon.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good afternoon, everyone.  :)

As there were only two entries for October's besides Fyn's, it has again fallen to Fyn and I to select a winner.  Though both of the entries this month were strong and enjoyable reads, ultimately only one could be selected.  With that in mind, Sovereign's entry, The Flame in the Woods, is our selection for this month's winning entry.  Congratulations!

As participants and winners, you both are entitled to select a banner.  The participation banners are bronze in color, whereas the winner banners are silver in color and have a number of stars representing the number of winning entries (currently one).  Additionally, as new banners become available, you are free to replace one of your current banners with one of similar rank if you so choose (for example, replacing one-star Fyn with one-star Chomper).  You can also discuss with DarkWolf the possibility of preparing banners with your OC of choice in the event that you have the winning entry for a month.  :yes

With all that being said, here are the available banners (as of right now) to choose from:

Banners with Fyn:

Banners with Seeker:

Banners with Sol:

Banners with Taunt:

Once again, we would like to thank our participants this month for their wonderful entries.  :)  But also please don't forget that the November prompt still runs until December 15 for anyone who wishes to participate.  We look forward to seeing what you all come up with.  :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Congrats!

Wish there were more scary stories though...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:51:41 PM by Sneak »
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for this honor once again! :DD I'm happy to see this contest resuming after the hiatus but I'd really want to see more participation. However, the new award banners look absolutely fantastic! :wow They really caused me hard time choosing the best one and I was really torn up with Fyn and Seeker but I'll go with Fyn. Anyway, thank you so much for these, Darkwolf! All of them look amazing! :yes

As for the comment about requesting my own OCs in case I win in the following months (I'm not sure if I'd go for that but it's something to think about  :smile ), will I have to voice that request only after my potential win has already been confirmed?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign on Nov 17 2017, 05:15:08 PM
Thank you very much for this honor once again! :DD I'm happy to see this contest resuming after the hiatus but I'd really want to see more participation. However, the new award banners look absolutely fantastic! :wow They really caused me hard time choosing the best one and I was really torn up with Fyn and Seeker but I'll go with Fyn. Anyway, thank you so much for these, Darkwolf! All of them look amazing! :yes

As for the comment about requesting my own OCs in case I win in the following months (I'm not sure if I'd go for that but it's something to think about  :smile ), will I have to voice that request only after my potential win has already been confirmed?
You can voice your request to her now, I do believe.  :yes  Just send DarkWolf a PM and ask her about the situation, as I do not want to make presumptions concerning her policies on further OC banners.  And, on an unrelated note, I must apologize for my delay in reviewing your latest story.  Work has kept me busy lately.  I will try to have a review done by the time of the Thanksgiving holiday here in the US.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think I'd want a Ducky banner if I ever get around to write a story for this... May actually have an idea for this one
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
As far as the awards go, I'll be continuing to make "default options" with more of Fyn and Rhombus' characters, which can later be switched to (as Rhombus said). I'm also willing to do one custom award per participant. So to all those who are interested, choose your character wisely :P
As far as Ducky goes, I don't see a problem with using canon characters for the awards as long as Fyn and Rhombus are ok with it, and if it isn't going to cause disagreements among participants.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, if OC's are preferred, I also have something in mind :D

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign on Dec 1 2017, 03:51:17 PM
I trust that the December prompt hasn't changed?
Correct. I'll take this opportunity to make the general announcement that December's prompt is now live! As a reminder here's the prompt

-write a snow fic!
-write a fic about surviving the winter elements
-write a fic featuring Santa Claws :lol
-write a fic that parallels your own holiday of choice

Additionally I would like to once again apologize for being behind the curve again. Finals are bearing down hard on me, and with a senior presentation looming tomorrow, I haven't had much time to interact. I promise I'll be back once this is all done with though!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
quick question: the november prompt was due like 3 days ago, right? Well, if you'd still accept an entry, I could try to write an extended version of the first chapter of my story I intended to use for november's prompt. However, since it (as always) turned into a multi-chapter fanfiction idea that I can't stuff into my time table and since it's kinda winter-y, I'll submit the main story to december's prompt while submitting the extended scene between Ducky and Petrie. Plans would be a include some flashbacks and add Petrie's perspective in greater detail :unsure:

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123 on Dec 18 2017, 10:32:20 AM
quick question: the november prompt was due like 3 days ago, right? Well, if you'd still accept an entry, I could try to write an extended version of the first chapter of my story I intended to use for november's prompt. However, since it (as always) turned into a multi-chapter fanfiction idea that I can't stuff into my time table and since it's kinda winter-y, I'll submit the main story to december's prompt while submitting the extended scene between Ducky and Petrie. Plans would be a include some flashbacks and add Petrie's perspective in greater detail :unsure:
That is fine.  As it is, Fyn and I have been incredibly busy over the last month so it will probably be a few days before we get the fanfiction prompt masterlist caught up.  Further, as we only have one entry thus far, and you already have the story started, I think allowing for another entry would be perfectly fine.  :yes

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If its still ok I wouldn't mind attempting a short story for the November prompt.  I've got a few days off work for Christmas so this is really the first time I've had a chance to write in a while.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace on Dec 20 2017, 11:45:18 PM
If its still ok I wouldn't mind attempting a short story for the November prompt.  I've got a few days off work for Christmas so this is really the first time I've had a chance to write in a while.
Well I can't get seem to contact Fyn on Skype so I will make a judgement call here.  We need to be fair to Sovereign (as he was the only one with the completed November prompt at the time of the deadline) but at the same time I do not want to discourage people from making an entry and earning recognition for their entry, as this time of year is understandably a busy time.  So what I think I will do is allow Sovereign to add another star to his existing award (I will PM you that icon, Sovereign) while at the same time allowing those who  participate in the November prompt to earn the participation icon of their choice as seen here in addition to being added to the master list:

I only ask that those who wish to participate in the November prompt for a participation icon to submit their entries by December 28.  I will also submit an entry for November's prompt in a few days as well.  Please also keep in mind that the December prompt is open until January 15, 2018.  Happy writing, everyone!  :)