The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Japanese LBT 5

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I would like to thank @OwlsCantRead for his livestream over the weekend. A while back, he purchased a copy of The Mysterious Island, albeit at the time he didn't realize it was a dual language copy containing both the standard English version, and a Japanese version as well. It was something he just happened to discover much later on when he was scanning the DVD case digitally for Mumbling. The whole thing was a complete accident, albeit a happy accident, for it made for a pretty entertaining and unique stream!

I would also like to thank Owls for taking the time to manually do up English subtitles for the stream. I don't know Japanese myself and so I would have had no idea what they were saying otherwise... which admittedly I do think would've been entertaining and comical in its own way. :! Nonetheless, I appreciate his time and effort into setting it up so that the rest of us would be able to understand the characters.

I think the funniest moment for me was just after the Gang snuck off from the main herd in the desert, leading to Topps in his Japanese voice giving an epic yell of "CEEERRRAAA!" :p

The voices themselves were pretty good. Some of them still sounded fairly similar to their English counterparts, while others sounded quite different. Although I found that, by the halfway point of the film, I didn't really notice the Japanese voices all that much any more. I don't watch non-English movies with subs very often, but on the occasions when I do, I find that my mind eventually just registers the subtitles as though they were speaking actual English.

The songs did stand out to me more. It was quite interesting to hear the same instrumentation, but with totally different voices singing along. :DD

Owls tells me that the Japanese dub is surprisingly faithful, which makes me curious if some of the other language dubs deviated further than that or not. Either way, this was quite an unexpected treat, and it piqued my interest in seeing more alternate language versions of the LBT series in the future. :yes

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I was hoping the box would be in Kanji. I woukd love to watch LBT III in different languages. Topsy and Hyp dubs would be classic. :)

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Well, given that I found this thing I am obligated to comment on it. :p

They took some liberties with the dubbing, pretty much because it is ad-libbed over the original version. For example, in Big Water, the line "things that squish and things that squirt" was sung only by Cera, but the dub gives the latter half of the line to Petrie since the song cuts to him in the middle of the sentence.

The gang actually sounds amazing in Japanese! Nothing much I can say besides that. Chomper's voiced by Ikue Otani and he pretty much sounds exactly like you'd expect if you'd heard her in any other role.

I was hoping the box would be in Kanji. I woukd love to watch LBT III in different languages. Topsy and Hyp dubs would be classic. :)
Topps actually sounds great.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Wow, this is pretty cool! I gotta say, I'm embarrassed, because when I heard you were going to livestream this, I didn't realize there would be English subs...might've joined in had I known what I now realize was...well, a pretty obvious fact. :oops

@OwlsCantRead Gotta give you some major credit for putting closed captions together yourself! I've been there, done that with a movie before, and it sure wasn't fun (and I wasn't even dealing with translating).

"I don't see anything!"--Cera

"Maybe your eyes are getting in the way."--Rainbow Face

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@OwlsCantRead Gotta give you some major credit for putting closed captions together yourself! I've been there, done that with a movie before, and it sure wasn't fun (and I wasn't even dealing with translating).
I didn't bother with translating either. I actually transcribed most of it from the original English version, with only a few obvious JP->EN translations in a couple of improvised/added lines in the dub.

...it still took a week. :p

The Japanese songs were with the effort though. LBT5 has great songs and all of them translated well. :Mo
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
The Japanese songs were with the effort though. LBT5 has great songs and all of them translated well. :Mo
I bet! I've seen some Japanese LBT songs on YouTube, and they didn't disappoint! :)petrie

"I don't see anything!"--Cera

"Maybe your eyes are getting in the way."--Rainbow Face

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
@OwlsCantRead

Do you have any idea who is voicing all these characters in the dub? Since I quite regularly consume japanese anime series with subs, I do recognize the odd soul voicing these amazing characters and it'd be thrilling to learn that they've played parts in animes I've seen myself :DD

The stream a while back was really great and it was really cool how much I understood with my broken anime vocabulary :lol
Inactive, probably forever.

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@OwlsCantRead

Do you have any idea who is voicing all these characters in the dub? Since I quite regularly consume japanese anime series with subs, I do recognize the odd soul voicing these amazing characters and it'd be thrilling to learn that they've played parts in animes I've seen myself :DD
Quick search.

Littlefoot: Minami Takayama
Cera: Rica Matsumoto
Ducky: Satomi Kōrogi
Petrie: Yūji Mitsuya
Chomper: Ikue Ōtani
Topps: George Nakata
Mama Flyer: Urara Takano