The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Super Smash Brothers (all)

Tails_155 · 396 · 26120

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I must've missed something...but I'm gonna step around that by typing this:

I wish I had a Wii, but sadly I don't...but my best friend down the street from me does!!!! So I may be able to play on the weekends!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
My advice to you would be to get one. Its worth it, if you're a gamer. Have you been able to play the one your friend has?

Manny, I did not butcher his words. Nine times out of ten when someone says something like "it may okay for the masses", there is almost always a condenscending tone and a meaning that implies: "I'm better" to go with it. My response to Tails was based on just about every personal encounter I've ever had with that phrase. I apologize if I was wrong about that comment for a change. If that's not what you meant, then I'm sorry.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think that Tails_155 just meant that he was among the minortiy of people that didn't like a lot of sword-bearing characters in the game(s). According to his most recent post, he didn't mean it like you thought, at all.

If it's any consolation, I've gave the wrong impression like that with my posts many times before. It just happens.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
apology accepted - I believe that hypocrisy is one of the most peculiar and despicable traits a human can hold... back on topic

I don't hate everything about it, I mean the map maker can be great... but I just personally would rather have one real good pre-made map instead of a map maker that has major limits, I would REALLY like to see online expandability for the game myself... addons you could buy with Wii points, because then they could make the game unlimited!

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Isn't the game going to have several pre-made maps? Neither prior Smash game has went without them....

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
oh I know that, but I just mean map makers take away from the pre-made possible map selections

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
The way it seems to appear from the preview clips on the Dojo site, you just pretty much mix and match what you want in terms of shape of stage, music, hazards, theme etc. I'm guessing it's pretty much just gonna be you (as a player/creator), adapting a level to your own twisted pleasures. Map makers have always seemed to be a good addition in the past, particularly with FPS's (1st person shooters) and those who are interested tend to praise their abilities. Personally, map mods have never really appealed to me (probably coz I'm just j'amn arse lazy  :lol ) but I reckon it's a cool feature to have just in case.  ;)

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
even FPS map makers have been very limited... my maps I've made on my fav FPS have all ended up as just.... rooms with guns.... that's about all there is available...

me and my off-topickyness.. lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've been offline the last couple of days due to work and technical difficulties (internet was behaving...badly).  I'm glad to hear that everything was resolved nicely here and that Tails didn't need to run off on us. B)

Personally, map mods have never really appealed to me (probably coz I'm just j'amn arse lazy  ) but I reckon it's a cool feature to have just in case. 
I quite like the idea of map editors for the sake of extending the replayability of the game and for adding personal touches to the experience.  I enjoy making maps/levels to games but I usually don't have time to learn the editor for an intricate game like a FPS.  I wanted to make an Unreal Tournament 2004 map of my high school but I haven't found the time to learn the editor and actually do the grunt work.  I have too many other things to do.

Still though, the SSB editor looks fairly "barebones", like one will not be able to build levels that look anything like the official maps.  That always irritates me a little because creativity and "professionalism" suffers when the tools supplied just can't do the job.  I found that track editors in many racing games suffered this as well.  Sure, you could make your own corners, straightaways and jumps but the tracks made by the editor all look and feel the same...it's "custom" but "generic".  I have a feeling that the SSB editor will be just like this.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Tails_155,Nov 14 2007 on  07:25 PM
even FPS map makers have been very limited... my maps I've made on my fav FPS have all ended up as just.... rooms with guns.... that's about all there is available...

me and my off-topickyness.. lol
I guess it's all a matter of personal perspective. In your case, it sounds a little "futile" and "pessimistic". Don't take that on as a personal attack Tails (far from it my friend  ;) ) but it sounds like you don't seem to find much enjoyment to a mod'ed map once you've finished it.  :( I think, at the end of the day, the map maker is just another feature the game makers are adding in the hopes that it will extend it's longevitity. Let's face it. Smash Bros's interest dies very quickly when you play it on your own. There seems to be little satisfaction in whooping a computer AI (or visa versa  :lol ). The map maker is something that hopefully a single player will invest their time in to keep them linked to the game despite possibly being a "billy no-mates"  :DD

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Eh, I'd prefer that SSB stays offline, and console based, myself. Let PC gamers have the add-on stuff. Just make the game to have lots to unlock, instad. It'd be about the same in feel.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I would like to have the online feature. That's what got me interested in this game. I don't get to play a video game with another person that much at all, if ever.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I welcome the online addition so i can play against people on this forum and things like that. But i would rather play offline with my local friends then online. I just find it more fun when your in the room with your friends while playing.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, if you use the username Flathead, I might know its you. I know I'll be using WeirdRaptor, as alway. In fact, chances are, if you ever see the username WeirdRaptor attached a post anywhere online, its a good chance its me.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That seems to pretty much be the normal nowadays. Players/users tend to pick one username and use it across the board of everything they look to be it games or otherwise. I use a specific alias for gaming now although I never used to.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i tend to switch up my usernames, but if it has the number "770" at the end, then its more then likely me.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Meh. I'd never be able to keep track of what I used where.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Am I the only one to wonder how the Ice Climbers got into Super Smash Bros. Melee when they only appeared in one other game before that (discounting ports and Vs. Ice Climber), the original Ice Climbers for the NES? How did they luck out on that?

Chikara

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Dec 12 2007 on  05:55 PM
Am I the only one to wonder how the Ice Climbers got into Super Smash Bros. Melee when they only appeared in one other game before that (discounting ports and Vs. Ice Climber), the original Ice Climbers for the NES? How did they luck out on that?
Nintendo were probably looking for:

1. A nod to the long-time gamers.

2. A character that would play differently to all the others.

Speaking of "playing differently", am I the only one who hopes the unlockable characters won't have cloned move-sets this time?

Meh, I just realised I'm going to have to change preferred character again since Marth probably won't be there this time.