News:

Author Topic: Position of your recycle bin  (Read 814 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

landbeforetimelover

  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 8496
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 12:07:00 am »
Quote
What can they do that would really.....be a huge advancement in your eyes?

I dunno.  Maybe I'll help design it when I go work for Microsoft in two years. :P: I just feel that there's something big that needs to happen with computers.  No major leaps in so long makes me think something drastic is gonna happen.  Mac X was a huge revolution as well.  Helped bring macs out of the stone ages that they were in with mac 9 OS and below. :rolleyes: Some sort of new interface would be nice.  Windows.....that's been around for so long now.  They've gotta come up with something different.  Perhaps a 3 dimensional environment instead of a boring flat desktop?  It's probably going to be something so revolutionary we can't even guess it.  I mean, the original users of MSDOS, do you think they could have imagined windows 3.1 before it was released?  No way.  It was all commands in a command prompt to them.  They never even conceived of the idea of a mouse.

Manny Cav

  • Cera
  • *
  • Posts: 3516
    • View Profile
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 12:11:41 am »
So you count the Vista thing (I've never tried it, myself) a 3D-environment?

landbeforetimelover

  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 8496
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 03:12:11 am »
Quote
So you count the Vista thing (I've never tried it, myself) a 3D-environment?

There's nothing that comes with vista that supports 3D.  I've heard of some third party applications, but they suck resources really bad.  If you're talking about the aero theme or whatever it's called, no.  That's just windows vista's horrible default theme.  Something new is going to have to be developed.  Microsoft is just dishing us out windows 95 with a different kernel so it makes all your programs obsolete so you have to go buy them again and some visual crap.  I'm so sick of the same thing.  Vista is just xp with a different kernel, some useless programs, and a bunch of visual crap that use up tons of resources.  Sure you've got some extra tools, but they'll be useless after a while.  Easier windows update???  What was so hard about it before? :blink: You never even had to deal with it!

Manny Cav

  • Cera
  • *
  • Posts: 3516
    • View Profile
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 10:22:32 am »
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 5 2007 on  01:12 AM
Quote
So you count the Vista thing (I've never tried it, myself) a 3D-environment?

There's nothing that comes with vista that supports 3D.  I've heard of some third party applications, but they suck resources really bad.  If you're talking about the aero theme or whatever it's called, no.  That's just windows vista's horrible default theme.  Something new is going to have to be developed.  Microsoft is just dishing us out windows 95 with a different kernel so it makes all your programs obsolete so you have to go buy them again and some visual crap.  I'm so sick of the same thing.  Vista is just xp with a different kernel, some useless programs, and a bunch of visual crap that use up tons of resources.  Sure you've got some extra tools, but they'll be useless after a while.  Easier windows update???  What was so hard about it before? :blink: You never even had to deal with it!
I'm sure that anything such as the "3-Dimensional environment" that you propose will be even more "visual crap" that will take many times the resources of Vista current.

landbeforetimelover

  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 8496
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 07:30:10 pm »
Quote
I'm sure that anything such as the "3-Dimensional environment" that you propose will be even more "visual crap" that will take many times the resources of Vista current.

Nope! :D Microsoft is designing a new kernel.  This kernel takes up only 40mb, as opposed to windows vista's 2,500mb :o Windows 7 is gonna be the best!  I got new sources.  Windows 7 is going to be about a billion times better than vista, and take up about as much resources as windows 98 did!

"Although used for running a basic HTTP server, MinWin is a stripped down version of the Windows kernel that will be used as the foundation for Windows Vienna. MinWin is composed of approximately 100 files totalizing 25MB on disk and 40MB set up, in comparison with Vista which is made up of over 5000 files and approximatley 2500MB on disk."

Huge freaking difference if you ask me! :D  :yes  :yes  :yes

And what's even better:


"Since MinWin is simply an effort from Microsoft to bring the kernel down to the smallest possible size in order to achieve the best efficiency for the upcoming versions of Windows, it will not be a kernel that is going to be distributed all by itself but merely a starting point for the next generation of operating systems built by Microsoft that break the legacy with the Vista operating system and its ancestors."


Windows is back on track at last! :yes


I'm so excited!


"In the past 20 years, the Microsoft Windows operating system has accumulated old code libraries that brought it to the size it has today, 2.5 GB and about 50 million lines of code (Windows Vista). These old code libraries consume resources and are often the targets of security exploits. The best way to avoid such problems, is to start from scratch, which is close to what Microsoft plans to do with Windows Vienna. Windows Vienna will represent the start of a different generation of operating systems, bringing in new concepts and support for new types of hardware, along with a better security and a modular approach, which will allow future versions of Windows to be built more easily on Windows Vienna's engine.
It is also likely that the future success of Microsoft's products will be strongly decided by the success of the new generation operating system."


Microsoft is flipping out cuz no buisnesses are upgrading to vista cuz it sucks so bad and all their computer admins know it.  They've gotta start from scratch if they want a decent operating system that's both flashy and efficient. :yes

Take a look at windows 7's default background:


Tails_155

  • Ducky
  • *
  • Posts: 1351
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 08:30:02 pm »
I don't use a recycle bin, I always use shift+delete, I don't usually need what I delete when I delete it, and I won't have any reason to need it thereafter either

Manny Cav

  • Cera
  • *
  • Posts: 3516
    • View Profile
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 12:14:20 am »
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 5 2007 on  05:30 PM
Quote
I'm sure that anything such as the "3-Dimensional environment" that you propose will be even more "visual crap" that will take many times the resources of Vista current.

Nope! :D Microsoft is designing a new kernel.  This kernel takes up only 40mb, as opposed to windows vista's 2,500mb :o Windows 7 is gonna be the best!  I got new sources.  Windows 7 is going to be about a billion times better than vista, and take up about as much resources as windows 98 did!

"Although used for running a basic HTTP server, MinWin is a stripped down version of the Windows kernel that will be used as the foundation for Windows Vienna. MinWin is composed of approximately 100 files totalizing 25MB on disk and 40MB set up, in comparison with Vista which is made up of over 5000 files and approximatley 2500MB on disk."

Huge freaking difference if you ask me! :D  :yes  :yes  :yes

And what's even better:


"Since MinWin is simply an effort from Microsoft to bring the kernel down to the smallest possible size in order to achieve the best efficiency for the upcoming versions of Windows, it will not be a kernel that is going to be distributed all by itself but merely a starting point for the next generation of operating systems built by Microsoft that break the legacy with the Vista operating system and its ancestors."


Windows is back on track at last! :yes


I'm so excited!


"In the past 20 years, the Microsoft Windows operating system has accumulated old code libraries that brought it to the size it has today, 2.5 GB and about 50 million lines of code (Windows Vista). These old code libraries consume resources and are often the targets of security exploits. The best way to avoid such problems, is to start from scratch, which is close to what Microsoft plans to do with Windows Vienna. Windows Vienna will represent the start of a different generation of operating systems, bringing in new concepts and support for new types of hardware, along with a better security and a modular approach, which will allow future versions of Windows to be built more easily on Windows Vienna's engine.
It is also likely that the future success of Microsoft's products will be strongly decided by the success of the new generation operating system."


Microsoft is flipping out cuz no buisnesses are upgrading to vista cuz it sucks so bad and all their computer admins know it.  They've gotta start from scratch if they want a decent operating system that's both flashy and efficient. :yes

Take a look at windows 7's default background:

Please tell me where you got those quotes....

landbeforetimelover

  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 8496
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 12:52:08 am »
Quote
Please tell me where you got those quotes....

From windowsvienna.com.  It is true.  I actually know the site and forum owner and he gets all his info from current microsoft employees.  Although Microsoft Corporation refuses to release any official information, they never forbid their workers to tell anyone about it. :P: They just want to keep all of windows vienna's secrets safe for now because if they didn't, NO ONE would buy vista, especially with vienna coming out so soon.  Not to mention that the new kernel will make every program currently out there obsolete.  It would cause a huge rift in the computer world.  No one would buy any software until vienna came out because in truth, buying software right now has got to be the dumbest thing you can do.  I mean really, can you blame them?  They'd lose so much money if this became totally public.  There is proof.  The site owner got a copy of the vienna kernel from the workers at Microsoft that also supply him with information.  It's not done yet, but it will not exceed 40mb :D He's been right about everything so far in the computer world.  I knew exactly what xp was like in 1999, 2 1/2 years before it's release.  I never really cared to study up much on vista though.

Manny Cav

  • Cera
  • *
  • Posts: 3516
    • View Profile
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 01:21:11 am »
That scares me a bit. I hope my armada of programs don't go "bye-bye" on me if they decide to dump reverse-compatibility.

landbeforetimelover

  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 8496
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 01:29:06 am »
They've already decided.  You can kiss all the programs you have and all the programs you'll ever buy until 2010 goodbye.  They are working on some form of compatibility thing with it, but this is going to be a rough change for all of us.  No existing programs are going to work with vienna.  Oh well.  The existing kernel is so terrible.  It was never meant to support all this multimedia and visual crap.  All it was made for was for running windows 95.  This needed to happen back in the year 2000.  If they want all the visual crap, they're gonna have to design a new kernel, which they're doing.  I'm sure they'll find a way to make it reverse compatible somehow though.  Perhaps a dual boot option so you can run your old programs on one instance of the kernel and the new programs on the other instance...  There's no way everyone's gonna stand for all their stuff becoming obsolete.  Maybe Microsoft will replace everyones software... :unsure:

Manny Cav

  • Cera
  • *
  • Posts: 3516
    • View Profile
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 01:32:30 am »
This won't kill me. I might have to go through some work to get some of my files and documents to work again (like my spreadsheets and so forth), and a lot of my good programs might not do me any good anymore. But, I'll live.

This thread has departed from it's original purpose. Might you post updates in one of the other Windows related topics you made? :^.^:

DarkHououmon

  • Forum Moderator
  • *
  • Posts: 7113
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 01:34:02 am »
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 6 2007 on  01:29 AM
They've already decided.  You can kiss all the programs you have and all the programs you'll ever buy until 2010 goodbye.
So you saying I won't be able to use the computer?  :unsure:

Tails_155

  • Ducky
  • *
  • Posts: 1351
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 07:15:20 am »
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 6 2007 on  12:29 AM
They've already decided.  You can kiss all the programs you have and all the programs you'll ever buy until 2010 goodbye.  They are working on some form of compatibility thing with it, but this is going to be a rough change for all of us.  No existing programs are going to work with vienna.  Oh well.  The existing kernel is so terrible.  It was never meant to support all this multimedia and visual crap.  All it was made for was for running windows 95.  This needed to happen back in the year 2000.  If they want all the visual crap, they're gonna have to design a new kernel, which they're doing.  I'm sure they'll find a way to make it reverse compatible somehow though.  Perhaps a dual boot option so you can run your old programs on one instance of the kernel and the new programs on the other instance...  There's no way everyone's gonna stand for all their stuff becoming obsolete.  Maybe Microsoft will replace everyones software... :unsure:
that is RIDICULOUS... what a waste of money that OS would be.... look how many programs have already been made, not to mention that'd mean my new game I bought that doesn't work with this computer... won't be able to be used with what'd most likely be my next computer... -.- that's BS I highly doubt they'd be THAT stupid

landbeforetimelover

  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 8496
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 06:50:37 pm »
Quote
So you saying I won't be able to use the computer?

ALL programs that work now won't in 2010.  That means that any programs you use you can't use past 2010.

Quote
that is RIDICULOUS... what a waste of money that OS would be.... look how many programs have already been made, not to mention that'd mean my new game I bought that doesn't work with this computer... won't be able to be used with what'd most likely be my next computer... -.- that's BS I highly doubt they'd be THAT stupid

Microsoft gets around 70% of it's money from companies, and they're refusing to upgrade to vista so they have to try something else.  They might start a plan that will promise to replace all the companies programs if they upgrade all their computers to vienna.  Everyone but buisness owners are screwed. :( Who knows though?  They make it so you can play DOS games in windows xp and vista even though the DOS programs arn't compatible with windows xp and vista's kernel.  They do this using the "cmd.exe" program.  It is a shell intigrated into windows xp and vista.  I think they're gonna do something similar with vienna so you can still run your old programs even though they're not compatible with vienna's kernel.  I mean, if they made it totally incompatible, no one would buy it.  Replacing everyones programs isn't very feasable either.  I wonder if Microsoft is going to pay software programmers like Adobe to create versions of their software that are compatible with vienna and give it to their current customers for free.  They've gotta do something, but this is going to be a really rough change for all of us.

Tails_155

  • Ducky
  • *
  • Posts: 1351
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2007, 07:04:01 pm »
if it's truly incompatible, it could be a PS3 deal, too much for too little, and be a near-downfall of the program... because look how well received the PS3/Betamax/BluRay was... only the people in rich areas (no offense to the one member who is loaded) have any interest in it

landbeforetimelover

  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 8496
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2007, 07:08:31 pm »
People are demanding the multimedia and visual crap this day and age.  Microsoft can't do that with it's current kernel.  They need to make a new one.  Besides, with a kernel this small, you could run vienna on a 15 year old computer! :D

Tails_155

  • Ducky
  • *
  • Posts: 1351
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2007, 07:22:19 pm »
but why? what floppy would work on it?

Manny Cav

  • Cera
  • *
  • Posts: 3516
    • View Profile
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 07:54:34 pm »
If all of my files, spreadsheets, documents, and just really important stuff can work or be converted easily, then I won't mind too much losing some of my favorite games like Need for Speed games, SimCity games and files, and such.

landbeforetimelover

  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 8496
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 08:52:42 pm »
I'm sure they'll find some way to make everything convertable.  It'd be a huge pain in the a**, but it'd be worth it to have an operating system as functional as windows 95 was, yet as cool or even cooler than vista is that uses the same amount of resources that windows 95 did. :) Go Microsoft! :yes

Manny Cav

  • Cera
  • *
  • Posts: 3516
    • View Profile
Position of your recycle bin
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2007, 08:54:26 pm »
But didn't you just say that they were redoing it because the Windows kernel had gotten so large because they kept all of the old coding so older programs could work?