News:

Author Topic: Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials  (Read 5762 times)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 09:52:52 pm »
I've been doing some drawings for my RP idea, LBT: Future Wars but of course they didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped.  My key weakness is the details, I can't picture the small things in my head too good.

Those are some nice tips Sky left for aspiring artists, I hope he leaves more!

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 09:55:58 pm »
I happened upon a shading Tutorial by accident last night. Heres the link.
http://djcoulzanimalsonly.deviantart.com/a...orial-131073456

Allicloud

• Member+
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 11:48:40 am »
Well, I've recently been doing alot of drawings, and I've got a few tips:

1. For starting-  The best place to start would be taking screenshots of character's faces and trying to copy them. NOT tracing them, though. You'll only learn properly by copying the expressions.

2. One trick I've learnt is to take the screenshot, and try to convert the entire head or body down into geometric shapes, often drawing the shapes directly onto the screenshot. For example, on its simplest level, Littlefoot's head is a sphere, with a tempered cube for the snout/mouth and a cylinder for the neck. Spheres are the best things to work from, since they can be stretched and distorted and create more natural shapes.

3. For specific poses, always start with the "spine-line", a single curved line that goes along the imagined character's spine, from the head, down the neck and back, to the tip of the tail, with the geometric shapes drawn over it to form the basic shape.

4. if the character is a quadroped, the body can usually be one shape (Like longnecks, spiketails and threehorns, who have a single oval for the body in my drawings). If it's a biped, use 1 shape for the hips, and another shape for the shoulders and chest, then link them up with the body's outline (For example, Sierra or Pterano has a small circle for the hip area, and a slightly larger and flatter circle for the shoulders and chest, while Rinkus, being tubbier, would have the opposite)

5. Eyes- These are a very important aspect of expression, especially with cartoon characters. So what I do is when I do a sheet for a character (Generally with 1 or 2 full pictures, several expressions and other stuff), I'll have a specific part for different eyes; happy, sad, angry, scheming, etc etc. No face, no head, just eyes.

6. Gender differences- Not necessarily true for all the characters, but in some cases, I've noticed subtle design differences between male and female characters. There are the obvious ones, such as the females usually having blue eyes and/or long eyelashes, but there are others. For example, females generally have a slightly slimmer build than males, as well as less sharp angles, and several (Tria is a good example) have slimmer legs, often with the shin becoming an inverted trapezium, with the wide base connecting at the knee, and the top connecting at the ankle.

Hope all this helps!

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 06:33:48 pm »
@Caustizer
I thought to continue with the tutorials on how to draw the gang. :) Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to create and with my current school state, I'll probably need a few months until I can work on them further.

@Allicloud
Those are some really helpful tips. :) Thanks for sharing.  :DD

DarkHououmon

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 06:50:08 pm »
Quote from: Allicloud,Feb 25 2011 on  10:48 AM
3. For specific poses, always start with the "spine-line", a single curved line that goes along the imagined character's spine, from the head, down the neck and back, to the tip of the tail, with the geometric shapes drawn over it to form the basic shape.
I personally don't follow this tip. I tried this method once and found it makes things more difficult for me. With a line drawn, I have to think harder on where the shapes would be. I find that this method is easier for me to do: draw shapes for head, draw line for neck, draw shape for body, and draw line for tail.

zero-point

• Administrator
  • I do way more things than I could fit in here :P
    • View Profile
Re: Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 02:45:56 am »
Well, looks like this topic has been abandoned for more than 7 years. That's a long time. I would not mind if we could somehow resurrect it! :DD
"The fire flickers with possibilities, I wonder what happens if you get a little closer?"

Flathead770

• Member+
    • View Profile
Re: Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 11:58:19 pm »
Hmm that's not a bad idea. I've considered giving my thoughts on tips that help me but I just have to some how put my thoughts down into coherent sentences :p