The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Darwin's Soldiers

Serris · 697 · 69522

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"Your father?"
Neku asked, raising an eye ridge curiously...

"Orders understood.  I'll do my best, Shelton."
Kagetora said, nodding his head.
"Well, we have our directives.  We head for the AWTR."
He said to the group, starting to head down the hallway...

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Across the base, Cale and his terrorist unit emerged from the hole in the wall to find themselves in a dank cross-hallway of the Sublevels. Thick titanium doors trailed down into the darkness. Cale looked around. "Lockdown could be in any one of these cells. Use extreme caution: there's a reason these experiments are kept locked down here." He unraveled a small slip of paper. It read: 2B.

Luckily, the door reported to hold Lockdown was nearby. Using a spun-glass shard, he picked the lock of door 2B. It swung inward with a creak.

Cale ventured inside warily. But Lockdown was not the inhabitant.

At a stained desk sat what looked like a demented Shakespeare clone. Its hair was trussed and its eyes were wild, and its gaze drilled into Cale as it put the finishing touches on its latest play.

"What ho, Chamaeleo?" it cackled, in a raspy, shattered voice, lifting a quill which dripped with blood.

Cale stepped backward, and unleashed a whirlwind of lightning and glass. Within moments, the wretch and his work was slashed to pieces.

As Cale stepped back out, grumbling, he looked at the slip of paper again. He turned it over. Now it read: 8Z. He looked at his men. "All right, down the first hallway. Looks like this won't be as easy as I thought."

(OOC: I hope this isn't excessive. I'm just trying to establish that the sublevels aren't a very friendy place to be.)

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(OOC: It's good.  Really sets up the mood.  But I thought I was Cale? :confused )

From behind Cale and the others, a calm, collected voice spoke.
"You know...It's dangerous to be here in the sublevels...where we demons lurk..."
Standing there was what appeared to be a wolf, except that it seemed to be cut in half, with strange sinew holding the two halves of its' body together.  
"Are you...searching for something? Or...Did you just come to die?"

Another cackle came from the nearby shadows, and a figure wrapped in a straitjacket stepped out, grinning madly.
"Heheheh...Visitors...are they kill-prey?"

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Vic, whom has already patched up Werner of his wounds, left with the others to the AWTR, partially holding up the rear with two Cobalt soldiers.  Snow and Dr. Joe followed in the center behind Neku and the Dhole scientist.

----------

Behind the man with a straight-jacket in the shadows, a copper-colored Hercules beetle made its presence known with a sinister clicking of its mandibles, its four arms replaced with mantis-like blades...  (OOC:  An idea to use as a formidable foe for our heroes.)

(OOC:  Stupid question.  What's a Dhole?)

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Neku turned his head to smile at Snow.
"Hey...Something up, Snow?  You seem like something's bothering you."

Kagetora followed Vic closely, rifle at the ready.
"How has life been for you so far, Vic?  I haven't heard from you since I was deployed to Vigoor.  What's happened to you since then?"

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
(OOC - a Dhole is a wild canid. See this picture: Dhole)
(OOC - Why would an advanced research installation use wood to secure its most dangerous experiments?)

James and the rest of the group headed towards the AWTR. As they reached it, the area was strangely empty.

"I have a bad feeling about this." the Dhole said, brandishing her staff.

"Yeah, something isn't quite right." Zachary added. He had discarded the bazooka and kept only his M-16.

James radioed Shelton. "Shelton! Activate the defensive turrets at the AWTR. We're going in!"

Shelton's voice came back on. "Roger that."

A mechanical whirring noise filled the air as several armored turrets lowered themselves from the ceiling.

James headed over to the card reader and entered his security code. The light on it flashed green and the heavy door began to slide open.

James reloaded his shotgun and went over to Zachary, who was crouched behind a cart carrying a heavy lab bench. Zachary checked the magazine of his rifle.

The 2 Cobalt Squad soldiers also readied their weapons.

"Ok. This is it." James said, "Neku, Siberys, Dr. Joe, Snow, everyone?"

Zachary took a deep breath and aimed his weapon at the now growing gap in the door.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
(OOC: You're right, Serris. I'll change the doors to titanium.)

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Neku nodded, a spiral of electricity dancing along his arm.
"I'm ready.  What about you, Snow?"
He said, narrowing his eyes.

Kagetora checked the ammo in his weapon, then he too nodded.
"Set for action."
He muttered...

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
On Cale's radio, the female sharpshooter said, "Sir, someone's--" but she broke off, turning her face towards the opening door. She hurriedly dropped the laser rifle and scrambled for her sidearm.

(OOC:Again, this character's fair game. She's not mine.)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As the doors opened, a burst of gunfire followed by several more came out of the door.

Terrorists, with guns blazing, seemingly appeared from behind gun lockers, crates and anything else that was could be used as cover.

Zachary and James opened fire, striking some terrorists.

One of the Cobalt Squad soldiers hurled a grenade into the room, killing some terrorists.

The other Cobalt Squad soldier was firing his weapon.

At the same time, the turrets targeted whatever terrorists were nearest. The .30 caliber bullets of the turrets shredded their targets. Several times the terrorists shot at the turrets, but their heavy armor shrugged it off. One terrorist destroyed a turret with a lucky shot from an RPG but before he could reload; James killed him with a shotgun blast to the head.

One terrorist foolishly left the weapons lab to try and flush James and Zachary out of cover but he passed over the steel crate that concealed the Dhole. She leapt out and swung her staff into the man's head, killing him. She then pilfered the man's AK-47, dragged the body behind the crate and searched it. She came away with some more ammo.

The Dhole then joined in the firefight. She attempted to draw a bead on some terrorists but a grenade explosion briefly disoriented her and she accidentally fired a burst into the wall. She cleared her head, reaimed and shot two terrorists who tried to flush James and Zachary out of cover.

James was sweating from the sheer adrenaline. He was surrounded by a pile of spent shotgun shells. He drew a bead on a terrorist and pulled the trigger but the shotgun clicked empty.

"Zach! Cover me! I have to get more ammo!"

Zachary obeyed and shot a terrorist who was trying to draw a bead on James.

James ran into a nearby guard post. He ran into the guard, an anthro Iguana who was armed with a H&K MP-5 submachine gun.

"There's a shootout at the AWTR." James said as he ran past the guard.

The guard nodded and ran in the AWTR's direction.

James entered the guard post, helped himself to a snack from the refrigerator. He opened the gun safe, pulled out a box of shotgun shells, quickly reloaded his shotgun and filled a pocket of his labcoat with any leftover shells. He then grabbed 3 40 round M-16 magazines and pocketed them.

James ran back to the AWTR. He handed the magazines to Zachary who reloaded his weapon.

The Iguana guard was also crouched behind the crate. He stuck his head over the bench and fired off a short burst.

"Dr. Zanasiu?" the guard said.

"Yeah." James replied.

"Why are you here?"

"You think I'm going to stand by idly and watch terrorists destroy what we worked for?"

"But... You... Are a... scientist." the guard finished lamely.

"So what of it?" James replied, he stuck his head over the bench and fired once, killing a terrorist. He then ducked back down.

(OOC - the security guard is not my character. Anyone can have him)

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Kagetora spun out from under cover, unloading another barrage of fire at a group of terrorists.  As he ducked behind another crate, a terrorist rushed him, a knife and a grenade held ready.  Kagetora cut him down, then grabbed the grenade and flung it into a small group of hostiles.  

"Blast!  There are far more than expected.  We're nearly outgunned!"

He swore, reaching for a fresh magazine and slamming it into his rifle...

Neku ducked under a crate with Snow, holding her hand.

"Alright, y'know what?  These guys are seriously getting on my nerves.  Stay here Snow.  It'll be over in a flash."

He chuckled, then stood up.  A barrage of fire was aimed at him, but before the bullets could hit, he caught them with a blast of Telekinetic force.  He turned the bullets back at their sources, simultaneously charging them with electricity, before firing them back at the terrorists, killing several, and wounding most of the rest...

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Shelton let out a low whistle as he heard the firefight over the radio. "Maybe we should have gone for more help first..." he muttered to himself.

A Cobalt squad member hit the radio. "How's things going, commander?"

The response was yelled through status. "Lots of...holding...cover...CLEAR!"

There was an explosion.

"Commander? Commander!" The soldier clicked it off, and picked up his rifle. "We're going down there." The other nodded.

"Hey wait! Who the hell's supposed to protect us?" protested Shelton.

"Why don't you give it a go? You can logic them to death!" the soldier called over his soldier, as the two left the room and trailed down the hallway.

Shelton clicked his tongue as he watched them go. He turned to Werner. "Well? Should I airlock the doors and force them to come back?"

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Snow watched as Neku joined the fray, when her eyes met those of a terrorist that has snuck by the others and now has a gun on her.  She quickly raised her paw towards the human and a superheated charge of white-hot flame exploded into view as it flew and struck the man square in the chest, engulfing him in a torrent of flames too loud for anyone to hear him scream...

Dr. Joe tripped and fell to her side as she dodged gunfire from a female terrorist.  She did not stop to think as she rolled to aim her weapon and fired back, striking the terrorist in the shoulder and the center of the forehead...

Vic ducked beside Kagetora as the team leader was reloading, sending a few barrages of fire at the enemy.  "We're dealing with a small army here!" he called over the noise.  "Why send so many to this place?"

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
"Nice move, Snow!"
Neku said over the din, smiling at Snow and blowing her a small kiss before resuming battle...

Kagetora shook his head at Vic.
"I'm not sure.  There must be something that they're looking for."
He then turned to James.
"Zanisau. Is there anything that these terrorists may be here looking for?"

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"I would think they're after the weapons." James shouted over the gunfire. He stood up and fired twice, striking some terrorists. He then crouched back down.

Zachary radioed Shelton. "What else is in the AWTR? There's literally a small army in there! Call for more reinforcements!" He put the radio away and fired off the rest of his magazine, crouched back down and reloaded.

The Iguana guard fired off a short burst from his weapon and crouched back down behind the crate. "How many are there?"

The turrets still kept up a ferocious hail of bullets, but 3 of the 6 turrets had retracted into the ceiling.

"I'm going to see if there are any more experiments or scientists who can help." James said, "Neku, Siberys, Dr. Joe, Snow, Zach, Kagetora, anyone wish to help me?" He looked up an noticed a 4th turret retracting. "And I have to reload the turrets."

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Neku nodded his head.  
"There's one here that can help.  If I can just..."
Suddenly a terrorist popped out from under a nearby crate, aiming at Neku from behind, but before he could strike, he was blown away by a pair of force beams.
"What is happening?  These guys after us experiments?"

First Lieutenant Roy Hawkeye, Cyber Experiment 1756 stood there, his arm cannons smoking...

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
"Yo, reinforcements at nine o'clock!" whooped the third Cobalt member, as he and his companion rolled into the room, laying down cover fire

Shelton had been searching the database after Zachary's request. "I dunno," Shelton finally conceded. "There's the experimental heavy weaponry, but since we're not even sure what half of it does I don't think they'd be crazy enough to risk using it. Some of the larger guns have the power to destroy that entire room."

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
(OOC - the Clydesdale, Zachary radioed Shelton.)

"Considering that these guys are willing to break into a high security installation where supersoldiers are created; we can't discount the possibility they'll use the experimental weapons." James radioed back.

"Nice to see you two!" Zachary said, "We got a small army in there!" He fired off his final magazine striking a few terrorists. "James, I'm coming with you. We need to get reinforcements!"

"Guys!" James shouted over the gunfire, "We're going to see if we can find some reinforcements. Anybody else coming?"

A Cobalt Squad soldier stepped up. "Ready to go."